Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Delaware County New York Historical Markers

 
1800 Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel
1800 Church Marker
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — 1800 Church
Only Methodist Church building west of the Hudson River in continuous use for worship since that time. — Map (db m137593) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — First Milk Pasteurization — 1893
Sheffield Farms Creamery First in U.S. to pasteurize milk commercially — Map (db m136096) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bovina — St James Church
Congregation est 1914. Chapel, rectory and parish house gifts of Angelica Gerry 1922. Cram and Ferguson, architects. — Map (db m133275) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bovina Center — 346 — Bovina Library
Built in 1893 as District Four School, operated until 1961. Became library in 1970. Library chartered by regents in 1917. — Map (db m132719) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bovina Center — Maynard School
Built 1849 Students Attended classes Here Until 1959. School District One Created in 1813. — Map (db m132785) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Charles Evans Hughes
Chief Justice of the U.S. first studied law (1881-1882) near this spot with Judge W.M. Gleason while teaching School at Delaware Academy Law Day • May 1, 1959Map (db m136222) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Christian Church at Fitch's Bridge
Congregation formed 1822 promoting union with all Christians. Gideon Frisbee leased this land to erect a house of worship to trustees Newell Dodge, Putnam Farrington, Daniel Frisbee, John Hammond and Clark Sloat later razed. The present church, . . . — Map (db m137501) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Delaware County Civil War Memorial — Soldiers' Monument
Erected by the people of Delaware County In grateful remembrance of those Who served their Country in the Civil War And who have defended The American Flag (List of Battles) Gettysburg Antietam Wilderness Cold Harbor . . . — Map (db m137663) WM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitches Crossing Covered Bridge
Built in 1870 by James Frazier & James Warren, it originally spanned the Delaware at Kingston Street in Delhi. Replaced by an iron bridge in 1885, it was moved by David Wright and a town crew to this site known as Fitches Crossing. . . . — Map (db m137499) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitch's Covered Bridge
Placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1999 Rehabilitated in 2001 by Delaware County Department of Public Works. Donated By Greater Delhi Area Chamber Of CommerceMap (db m101315) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Frisbee House
This house built in 1804 by Gideon Frisbee, later judge, replaced the log inn where the first Delaware County courts convened 1797-1799. — Map (db m93301) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — 332 — Samuel A. Law — 1771-1845
Founded the town of Meredith in 1800. Built mansion on this site ca. 1801. Burned in 1884. — Map (db m132780) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — The 144th Regiment
N.Y. Vol. Inf. organized in Delaware County. Mustered into the Union Army Sept. 27, 1862 at Camp Delaware located on the flats below Delhi. — Map (db m93300) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — The Anti-Rent Wars — Historic New York
The anti-rent agitations of the 1830's and 1840's originated in the landowning system of colonial New York. Grants of extensive estates in the 17th and 18th centuries gave to the Van Rensselaers, Livingstons and other owners considerable power over . . . — Map (db m136218) HM
New York (Delaware County), Fleischmanns — Anti-Rent War
Hole in nearby boulder held flag calling farmers to action in 1840s to protest unfair land rent system. — Map (db m24805) HM
New York (Delaware County), Fleischmanns — Fleischmanns NY — Originally Griffin Corners
Incorporated in 1913. Named to honor the Fleischmann family, long-time summer residents & benefactors Fleischmanns Museum of MemoriesMap (db m136224) HM
New York (Delaware County), Grand Gorge — Cabin of John More — (1745-1840) — Site of —
Native of Strathspey, Scotland. Revolutionary War soldier. Moresville's first settler-1786. Magistrate, postmaster, millwright, tavern & hotel owner. Village called Moresville until 1874 — Map (db m132113) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Hamden — 1880-1960
Hamden: The Early Years The Town of Hamden was organized in 1825 In its early years, butter was it's most valuable commodity particularly during the Civil War years. The size of a typical family farm was 80 to 100 acres and supported 8 to . . . — Map (db m137618) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Hamden Covered Bridge
Side A Hamden Covered Bridge Built in 1859 and placed on the state and national registers of historic places in 1999.

Side B Built in 1859 by Robert Murray to span 128' of the west branch at a cost of $1,000. Restored in 2000 . . . — Map (db m93306) HM

New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Hamden Covered Bridge
For nearly one hundred fifty years, the Hamden Covered Bridge has stood as a testament tot the ingenuity and resilience of both Delaware Country structures and the engineers who built them. The story of the Hamden Covered Bridge’s original . . . — Map (db m137657) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — O & W Railroad
The New York & Oswego Midland Railroad was incorporated in 1866. The route chosen stretched from Oswego on Lake Ontario to Jersey City, NJ. When the panic of 1873 hit, the Midland entered bankruptcy. In 1880, a new group of investors bought . . . — Map (db m137623) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Town of Hamden
First settlement 1779 by David Harrower and wife, their sons, David and Dugal. These pioneers are buried near here. — Map (db m137492) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hancock — Hall-Whiting Memorial — ...Let Freedom Ring

This memorial is dedicated to two young men, who willingly gave their lives to protect our freedom

Lieutenant Cameron N. Hall U.S. Navy 4-29-77 · 8-15-07

Staff Sergeant Justin R. Whiting U.S. . . . — Map (db m122147) WM

New York (Delaware County), Hancock — Reflections on Five Hamlets
The Largest Community in the valley was Cannonsville, a center of commerce and civic life. Presbyterian Baptist and Methodist Churches served both spiritual and temporal needs. The Cannonsville Community House hosted dances, lectures, and . . . — Map (db m137637) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hancock — St. Paul's Catholic Church World War Memorial

Memorial to those who served in the World War

Edmund J. Cotter Jr. • Andrew Dunn John L. Dunn • Charles Esolen Edward Guinan • Ambrose McGranaghan Edmund McGranaghan • Eugene McGranaghan Thomas McGranaghan • Aloysius Meyer . . . — Map (db m122205) WM

New York (Delaware County), Hancock — Village of Hancock — Upper Delaware Scenic Byway

The Upper Delaware Scenic Byway (New York State Route 97) follows the Upper Delaware River through the western parts of Delaware, Sullivan, and Orange Counties. This unique highway connects the rafting and bluestone village of Hancock to . . . — Map (db m122138) HM

New York (Delaware County), Hancock — War Memorial

In memory of all those who gave their lives and to those who served their country in time of war —————————— This flag pole presented to Hancock Central School by . . . — Map (db m122148) WM

New York (Delaware County), Harpersfield — Harpersfield Toll Gate — Susquehanna Turnpike
Alexander Dales, earliest known gate keeper, 1845-1855 — Map (db m132518) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hobart — 1983 - 1984 - 1986
The replacement of two dams and preservation of the bridge was made possible by the O’Connor Foundation — Map (db m137596) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hobart — St. Peters
Protestant Episcopal Church of the Towns of Stamford, Harpersfield and Kortricht. Parish organized 1794, present church 1801 — Map (db m137595) HM
New York (Delaware County), Kelly Corners — Hubbell Homestead
Family compound occupied by farm, mills, stores and homes since Milow and Polly (Faulkner) Hubbell settled here in 1848. Listed on State and National Registers of Historic Places — Map (db m24676) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — 1899 Round Barn
Built for Kelly Brothers for easier cow care. Meade family ran dairy farm through 1963. Reconstructed 1988 State and National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m132124) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Lodges Organized in Middletown
James's 1796-1798 Delaware-Ulster 1807-1811 Colden (Clinton) 1816-1824 Margaretville 1855-present — Map (db m132106) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville
Hamlet developed in 1840s. First hotel opened at this site 1845. Village named for Margaret Livingston when it incorporated in 1875. — Map (db m132230) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville War Memorial
To the men and women of the community who served in the armed forces of the United States of America in time of war. — Map (db m132244) WM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Middletown Settlement
Three Hudson Valley Dutch families arrived in 1763 to settle the Delaware Valley where the Lenni Lenape first hunted and fished. — Map (db m132108) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Old Stone Schoolhouse
District #10 Dunraven, NY Town of Middletown Built in 1820 Listed in the state and national registers of historic places — Map (db m93326) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Stone School House
Built in 1820 Rebuilt in 1860 District No. 10 Town of Middletown — Map (db m93329) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — The Stream of Time
Th East Branch of the Delaware of and its many tributaries- - the Binnekill, Bush Kill, Plattekill, Mill Brook, Dry Brook, Bull Run, Batavia Kill, Red Kill and others are central to the history of the Village of Margaretville and the wider Town . . . — Map (db m132228) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Welcome to Historic Margaretville!
This stream-crossed valley beneath 3,200-foot Pakatakan Mountain has been attracting travelers since the Lenni Lenape found good hunting and fishing here hundreds of years ago. The first European settlers arrived in the region in 1763, and a small . . . — Map (db m132158) HM
New York (Delaware County), Roxbury — Enderlin Building — Built circa 1840
In 1852, John B. Gould purchased a "tin shop” in this original structure built in 1840. His son, Jason "Jay” Gould, born in Roxbury in 1836, became a partner with his father in the shop at age 16. The younger Gould was sent to New York . . . — Map (db m133799) HM
New York (Delaware County), Sidney — Andrew Mann Inn
Andrew Mann Inn 1795-1860 A stagecoach stop along the Catskill Turnpike National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m92887) HM
New York (Delaware County), Sidney — 298 — Old Unadilla
Site of Iroqouis town burned by Continental Army under command of Colonel William Butler October 10 & 11, 1778 — Map (db m98167) HM
New York (Delaware County), Sidney — Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton
Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton 1779

An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of the English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, . . . — Map (db m92998) HM

New York (Delaware County), Sidney — Sidney Plains — Pioneer Cemetery
1787-1890 N.Y State and National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m92596) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Herring Park
Designated to honor Reverend Stephen A. Herring for his dedication to Core Values, Inc. Est. 1993 — Map (db m132701) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Mount Utsayantha
Property on top of this mountain was donated to the Village of Stamford in 1917 by the estate of Dr. Stephen Churchill for use as a park Elevation 3,214 FeetMap (db m5402) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Utsayantha Lake
Named after Indian maiden famous in Indian legend on trail from Schoharie To Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers. Headwaters of Del. — Map (db m5352) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — Dr. Platt Townsend
Homestead of Dr Platt Townsend Built 1796 Leader of the founders of Walton. — Map (db m137625) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — Turnpike
Historic Route from Kingston to Jericho (Bainbridge). — Map (db m137512) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — William B. Ogden
Birthplace of William Ogden (1805-1877). First Mayor of Chicago — Map (db m137518) HM

51 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement