Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
Madison County New York Historical Markers
By Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2017
Col. Joshua Leland Marker (
. . . — — Map (db m116794) HM
Built ca. 1795. Land bought
1793 by John J. Morgan.
Summer home NY Gov. John
Adams Dix. 6 generations of
Camenga family resided here. — — Map (db m133050) HM
Former site of Canastota Municipal Airport 1928-1989 Dedicated by Amelia Earhart August 28,1928 — — Map (db m82424) HM
Bruce Opera House 1888-1909
This Cultural Hub Seated
802 Patrons & Showed Movies
Projected By The Biograph,
A Canastota Invention
— — Map (db m109611) HM
Born here April 2, 1927 Son of Joe and Mary Basilio Hall of Fame boxer World Champion 1955-58 Athlete of the Year 1957 — — Map (db m82369) HM
Founded by pioneers from CT on the theology of J. Edwards
Meeting house built 1824
Early leaders: R. Bushnell, E.S. Cadwell, & P. Cadwell — — Map (db m65337) HM
1908 - Centennial - 2008
From New York to Paris.
Racers arrived in Canastota Feb. 14th staying overnight.
The U.S. team won the race. — — Map (db m58367) HM
Asst Canastota Police Chief
Killed At This Location On
June 5 1950 While Directing
— — Map (db m109697) HM
Construction of the Erie Canal was hailed as the greatest engineering accomplishment to that time. Under the leadership of Governor De Witt Clinton, construction began July 4, 1817. With little technical knowledge, thousands of workers surveyed, . . . — — Map (db m65012) HM
Oneida Indians of the Iroquois Confederacy lived here and named the lake O-wah-ge-ha-ga "where the yellow perch swim". Tuscaroras coming from North Carolina to make the sixth nation of the League settled to the eastward. A large tract was reserved . . . — — Map (db m63344) HM
Served as turnpike tavern for almost 60 yrs. Built and opened by Cyrene Bartholomew in 1815. Closed in 1872 when the Chenango R.R. opened and passed it by. — — Map (db m87439) HM
Site of first settlement in the town of Sullivan March of 1790 — — Map (db m82294) HM
Company Incorporated 1818.
Canal In Use By 1824. Site
Of Turn-Around Basin For
Canal Boat Transportation
North To The Grand Old Erie
— — Map (db m109559) HM
Built CA. 1861-1864
creating lake to supply
water for Erie Canal.
Limestone Creek. — — Map (db m128021) HM
This bell was salvaged during the dismantling of the Union Meeting House (Presbyterian Church) in 1883.
It was mounted at the Union Hall on December 11, 1884 and used as a fire bell until the Union Hall was destroyed by fire on December 31, . . . — — Map (db m116797) HM
Seventh Day Baptist Church
First Church in DeRuyter
Final Service 2000
”Faith of our Fathers”
— — Map (db m116816) HM
Organized 1816. Erected 1819.
Repaired and improved 1856.
Rev. J. Cooley, 1st Minister.
Rev. Nathaniel Kendrick,
State Education Department 1936
— — Map (db m116796) HM
Constructed ca. 1862 as the
Second Methodist Episcopal
Church of Otselic.
The church closed in 1993
and was sold in 1994. — — Map (db m132754) HM
Elizabeth Smith Miller introduced the bloomer costume. Bloomerism became the most important dress reform of the 19th century. — — Map (db m93744) HM
Thomas made cheese boxes,
egg crates, lumber at mill on
this site. William invented
"Triple Wall Silos" in 1901 and
patented many home devices. — — Map (db m133049) HM
As Tom Dorsey cleared land his wagon load of huge rocks couldn't be moved by horses. A giant turtle surfaced and dragged wagon into the lake. — — Map (db m129043) HM 21 markers matched your search criteria.