Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monroe County New York Historical Markers

337 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 137
 
Wide view of the Tuscaroras Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Crumlish, June 25, 2011
Wide view of the Tuscaroras Marker
New York (Monroe County), Avon — Tuscaroras
On East River Road (County Road 84) 0.8 miles south of Honeoye Falls 6 Road, on the right when traveling south.
Site of a setttlement of
Tuscaroras
6th Nation of Iroquois League. Driven from Carloinas by British 1714-1722 — Map (db m52245) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — Ambrose Hall
On Elmwood Avenue (County Route 87) at Johnsarbor Drive, on the right when traveling east on Elmwood Avenue.
Winston Churchill's great grandfather, Ambrose Hall, lived in the town of Brighton from 1817 to 1821, owning 210 acres of land in lot #54. Other owners of this lot were George Stillson, first Superintendent of Mount Hope Cemetery, and William and . . . — Map (db m115300) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — Amos B. Buckland
On Westfall Road 0.1 miles east of Barclay Square Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Amos B. Buckland of the Buckland family of brick makers owned this brick farmhouse that was built in stages from 1820 to 1920. From 1911 to 1939 Hillside Children's Center farmed ninety-two acres, growing vegetables and raising cows, sheep, and pigs . . . — Map (db m115303) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — Indian Landing
On North Landing Road 0.1 miles north of Blossom Road, on the right when traveling north.
The meadows north of this stone form the site of the Indian Landing. Famous in the early history of this country. It was the beginning of the Ohio Trail from Canada to the Mississippi Valley. from this point the portage ran west to the mouth . . . — Map (db m115349) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — Route of Original Erie Canal
On Monroe Avenue (New York State Route 31) 0.1 miles north of Allens Creek Road, on the right when traveling west.
Route of Original Erie Canal 1817 - 1825 Enlarged 1836-1862 Abandoned 1920, on completion of Barge Canal / Rochester Harbor — Map (db m115306) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — Seminary - 1845
On Clover Street (New York State Route 65) 0.1 miles north of Elmwood Avenue (County Route 87), on the right when traveling north.
Seminary - 1845 Built for Celestia Bloss author, teacher-principal of Clover Street Seminary. It reopened in 1868 as St. Mark's School for Boys. — Map (db m115307) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — The Buckland / Horst House
On South Winton Road at Westfall Road (County Route 239), on the right when traveling south on South Winton Road.
The Buckland / Horst House Constructed circa 1830 of brick made from Brighton clay by the Buckland family. Site of the Horst dairy farm from 1900 through 1945 — Map (db m115305) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — The Genesee Expressway
On Kendrick Road, on the left when traveling west.
Yes, it looks like an ordinary highway. But Interstate 390, also known as the "Genesee Expressway” has an impressive family history. The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways is the root of this . . . — Map (db m131801) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — 1855 - 1944 — Frances Barrier Williams
On Erie Street, on the right when traveling east.
Lecturer and suffragist, organized black women's club movement and helped found the NAACP in 1912. — Map (db m44340) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — American Revolutionary War Memorial
On Main Street (New York State Route 19) at State Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
To the honor and glory of our patriotic ancestors the known and the unknown who gave their services and lives for their country in the War of American Revolution 1775-1783 Brockport Capt. Joseph Roby • Rev. Amos Frink • Thos. Buck . . . — Map (db m75788) HM WM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Brockport and the Canal
On Main Street (New York State Route 19), on the right when traveling north.
The opening of the Brockport to Buffalo section in October 1825 marked the completion of the 348 mile Erie Canal. By linking the Hudson River with the Great Lakes, the Canal provided the first economical means of transportation from the eastern . . . — Map (db m75943) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Brockport Central
On Allen Street at Centennial Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Allen Street.
Centralized 1927, first central school district in county, 34th in state, formed Aug. 17, 1927 from 19 area school districts — Map (db m42355) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Brockport Central Rural High School
On Allen Street 0.2 miles south of Adams Street, on the right when traveling south.
Brockport Central Rural High School Opened in 1934, the school served students in grades 7-12 until 1967 when a new high school was built. The original building then became known as the Middle School & served students in grades 6-8 thereafter. . . . — Map (db m115291) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Canal Commerce in Brockport — Luther Gordon, the spirit of canal commerce in Brockport
On Main Street (New York State Route 19) at the south end of the Erie Canal drawbridge, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
1. Luther Gordon epitomized Brockport's involvement in canal commerce during its heyday. He owned a sawmill and 7,000 acres of timberland in Michigan and transported logs via the Great Lakes and the canal to his Brockport sawmill and planing . . . — Map (db m75934) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Main Street Brockport Enterprises in the Early 1900s — Daniel Holmes, the spirit of Main Street
On Main Street (New York State Route 19) at Market Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
1. Daniel Holmes (1828-1917) practiced law in offices on Main Street from 1852 until his death. He was Village Clerk for twenty years, Justice of the Peace for thirty years, Vestryman at St. Luke's Episcopal Church for fifty years, and . . . — Map (db m75804) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Mary Jane Holmes — 1828-1907
On College, on the right when traveling east.
Author of 40+ novels which sold in the millions lived here at her "Little Brown Cottage". — Map (db m42179) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — McCormick Reapers
On Market Street at Park Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Market Street.
McCormick reapers made here in 1846. Seymour and Morgan by building 100 reapers for Cyrus McCormick began quantity production of reapers — Map (db m41049) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Morgan-Manning House
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
A pioneer reaper industry was developed on the Erie Canal banks by William H. Seymore and Dayton S. Morgan. This 1854 dwelling became the Morgan family home in 1867. The eldest daughter, Sara, wife of Frederick A. Manning, M.D. lived in the house . . . — Map (db m41045) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — St. Luke's Episcopal Church
On Main Street (New York State Route 19) at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Built 1854 ——————— This structure has been designated an Historic . . . — Map (db m75783) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (New York State Route 19) at South Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In memory of those who served our country ——————— This memorial dedicated May 31, 1976 as a bi-centennial project by the Harsch-Crisp-Seaman Post 379 American Legion and the . . . — Map (db m75760) WM
New York (Monroe County), Bushnell's Basin — Bushnell's Basin
On Marsh Road at Pittsford-Victor Rd. (New York State Route 96), on the right when traveling south on Marsh Road.
Historic District Western Terminus Erie Canal 1822-1825 1800's farming community Trolley stop R&E Railroad — Map (db m57681) HM
New York (Monroe County), Bushnell's Basin — Historic Landmark — Early Burial Ground
On Pittsford-Victor Road (New York State Route 96) 0.1 miles north of Kendon Rd., on the right when traveling east.
1832-1950 Established on a one-acre tract of land given to the town by Joshua Scryver — Map (db m57707) HM
New York (Monroe County), Bushnell's Basin — Richardson Tavern
On Marsh Road at Pittsford-Victor Rd., on the right when traveling west on Marsh Road.
Beside old Erie Towpath at Hartwell's, now Bushnell's Basin, near Great Embankment western canal terminal 1821-1823 Shipping port until after 1850. — Map (db m62001) HM
New York (Monroe County), Chili — Chili Landmark
On Chili Avenue (Route 33A) at Stottle Road, on the right when traveling west on Chili Avenue.
East Pultney Congregational Church organized 1816, sanctuary erected 1818. This structure, 1832. From a marsh wilderness, frontier Christians built a symbol of enduring beauty. — Map (db m58031) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — B.T. Roberts
On Buffalo Road (New York State Route 33) at Chesbrough Drive, on the right when traveling east on Buffalo Road.
Founded Chili Seminary in 1866. His life and service is honored in the name of Roberts Wesleyan College chartered in 1949 — Map (db m58044) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Early Stage Stop
On Buffalo Road (New York State Route 33) at Union Street (New York State Route 259), on the right when traveling west on Buffalo Road.
Here in 1867, the old tavern, stage stop and post office on historic Buffalo Road became the location of Chili Seminary, a school founded in 1866 by Benjamin Titus Roberts as the first educational institution for the Free Methodist Church of North . . . — Map (db m58045) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Founded 1843
On West Buffalo Street (New York State Route 33) just east of Evergreen Drive.
Churchville Graded School occupied this building until 1895. A fine example of the lost art of building with cobblestones. — Map (db m58023) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Francis E. Willard
On South Main Street (New York State Route 36) 0.2 miles south of North Buffalo Street (New York State Route 33), on the right when traveling north.
Great Temperance Leader was born in house standing on this site Sept. 28, 1839. The Willards left this home for Ohio two years later. — Map (db m58041) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Hotel Creek
On Chili-Riga Center Road (New York State Route 33) 0.2 miles west of Palmer Road, on the right when traveling east.
28 settlers spent winter, 1806, in surveyor's cabin called "The Hotel." First Riga home, 1806, by Elihu Church, owner of this land — Map (db m58028) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — In Memoriam
On South Main Street (New York State Route 36) at West Buffalo Street (New York State Route 33) on South Main Street.
Francis E. Willard Born in Churchville, NY September 1839. Died February 17, 1898. An advocate of temperance who devoted her life to that cause. "By their fruits ye shall know them." — Map (db m58040) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Mill Site
On East Buffalo Street (New York State Route 33 & 36) 0.2 miles east of North Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Samuel Church, founder of the Village of Churchville, built a saw mill and flour mill on this site in 1810. — Map (db m58043) HM
New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Riga
On North Main St 0.5 miles north of New York State Route 33, on the right when traveling north.
First known as West Pulteney after Sir William Pulteney, Bath, England. Early land owner: renamed in honor of Riga, Latvia on April 8, 1808

Berkshire, Mass. Pioneers included Richard, Elihu and Samuel Church, who gave their name to Churchville . . . — Map (db m108501) HM

New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Clarkson
On Lake Road North (New York State Route 19) at West Ridge Road (New York State Route 104), on the right when traveling north on Lake Road North.
Clarkson Established April 2, 1819 as part of Murray; named for General Matthew Clarkson, early land owner and Brigidier General, New York State Militia. Clarkson Congregational Church oldest rural church structure in Monroe County, built . . . — Map (db m109971) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Clarkson Community Church
On West Ridge Road (New York State Route 104) 0.1 miles east of North Lake Road (New York State Route 19), on the left when traveling west.
Clarkson Community Church Clarkson's first pioneer church. Oldest church on Ridge Road west of the Genesee River, in Monroe County. Organized as a congre- gational society in 1816. Erected 1825. Dedicated 1828. Clarkson's original academy . . . — Map (db m109964) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Henry Martin House - 1829
On Lake Road (New York State Route 19) 0.2 miles north of Lynnwood Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m65367) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Henry R. Selden
On West Ridge Road (New York State Route 104 at milepost 3.8) at North Lake Road (New York State Route 19), on the right when traveling west on West Ridge Road.
Henry R. Selden 1805-1885 Lieut. Gov. and judge lived here. George B. Selden inventor of "Selden Patent" for automobiles was born here — Map (db m109969) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Home of Simeon B. Jewett
On Lake Road (New York State Route 19) 0.2 miles north of Lynnwood Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Home of Simeon B. Jewett 1801-1869 Political leader, jurist, partner of Henry R. Selden, U.S. Marshal, Northern N.Y. under President Buchanan. — Map (db m65368) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Houston Tavern
On Ridge Road West (New York State Route 104) 0.2 miles east of Gallup Road.
A popular stopping place in stage coach days. Built soon after 1825 for Isaac Houston who was the sole proprietor for many years. — Map (db m65366) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — In Commemoration of the Sacrifice
On West Ridge Road (New York State Route 104) at Lake Road North (New York State Route 19), on the right when traveling east on West Ridge Road.
In commemoration of the sacrifice and service of our revolutionary ancestors and pioneers who braved the wilderness and made a settlement in Clarkson in 1803. This memorial, a section of a column from an early courthouse of Monroe County, . . . — Map (db m110006) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Lewis Swift
On Ridge Road West (New York State Route 104) at Sugar Tree Lane on Ridge Road West.
Widely known astronomer, discoverer of 12 comets and over 1200 nebulae, was born here in 1820. — Map (db m65365) HM
New York (Monroe County), Clarkson — Philip Boss
On West Ridge Road (New York State Route 104 at milepost 3.8), 0.1 miles west of North Lake Road (New York State Route 19), on the right when traveling west.
Philip Boss artist and cabinet maker, lived here from 1820 to 1830. Moving to Rochester, then, he achieved great popularity as a painter of portraits — Map (db m109967) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Concrest
On West Avenue at Forest Road, on the right when traveling west on West Avenue.
This neighborhood of poured concrete houses was developed by Kate Gleason in the 1920s. These European-like structures were built to last 100 years. — Map (db m65111) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Dedicated by the Citizens
On Main Street at East Ivy Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Dedicated by the Citizens of East Rochester in Honor of Those Who Served in the World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m101162) WM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Eddie James "Son" House Jr.
On Despatch Drive 0.2 miles east of North Washington Street, on the right when traveling east.
Eddie James "Son" House Jr., father of the delta blues, worked at the E.R. railroad carshops on this location from 1944-1946. East Rochester local history — Map (db m101127) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Edmund Lyon Park
On Main St at W. Spruce St., on the right when traveling north on Main St.
Opened in 1916 on land donated by Kate Gleason. Named after local financier Edmund Lyon. Original bandstand built in 1916, replaced in 1988. — Map (db m56270) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — ER Veteran's Memorial
On Main Street 0.1 miles north of East Ivy Street, on the right when traveling north.
ER Veteran's Memorial Station of Heroes with profound respect from a grateful community to our brave veterans who served our nation in war. Maintained by ER American Legion Post ER Veterans of Foreign Wars People of ER Special . . . — Map (db m101185) WM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Eyer Block
On Main Street at West Commercial Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Construction began in 1899 It was built in three sections by Harry Eyer, a local real estate developer Destroyed by fire in 1914, it was rebuilt on its present site. E.R. local history — Map (db m101131) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — First Village Schools
On East Avenue 0.1 miles east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
First Village Schools SIte of the 1898 red brick school and 1911 high school. Both were replaced in 1936 with the T L R Morgan building. Present school district is located on Woodbine Ave. — Map (db m115346) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Fryatt House
On Main Street at West Ivy Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Fryatt House Built in 1917. Home to B.J. and Retta Fryatt. Pioneer village residents and first business owners. Donated to village in 1955 for library. E.R. local history — Map (db m101132) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Lincoln House
On Bluff Drive near East Linden Avenue (County Route 15), on the right when traveling north.
Lincoln House Built in 1841 home of Andrew Lincoln owner of Lincoln Flour Mill. Nearby Spring Lake Park named after his mill pond. — Map (db m115347) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Lincoln Mills
On East Linden Avenue 0.1 miles west of Whitney Road.
It was one of 25 mills located on Irondequoit Creek in the 1800s. Built by Andrew Lincoln in 1847. Flour was shipped to Albany and New York by the Erie Canal. Fire destroyed the mill in the 1920s. — Map (db m64557) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Municipal Water System
On Fairport Road (Route 31f) at Waterworks Dr., on the right when traveling east on Fairport Road.
Established in 1935 on this site, wells using the pre-glacial channel of the old Genesee River provided the Village of East Rochester with water until 1992. — Map (db m56266) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Nick Verzella
Near Main Street 0.1 miles north of East Ivy Street.
This bandstand is dedicated to Nick Verzella for his many years of educational services to the sons and daughters of East Rochester. He also served our country during World War II and continues to play an active role in Memorial Day and Veterans Day . . . — Map (db m101161) WM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Ontario Drill Works
On South Lincoln Road (County Route 36) at Ontario Street, on the right when traveling north on South Lincoln Road.
Ontario Drill Works Grain drill manufacturer considered the "Cadillac" of grain drills Ontario St. named after them Located here 1900-1961 East Rochester local history — Map (db m101130) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Penfield Station
On North Washington Street (New York State Route 153) at Despatch Drive on North Washington Street.
Penfield Station Built in 1884, it served as the main freight/passenger terminal for the New York Central Railroad until 1900. It continued as a freight house until the 1960s when it became a local commercial establishment. East Rochester . . . — Map (db m101128) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Perinton Hotel
On Main Street at West Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Site of one of the first buildings in town. 1898 R.R. station was directly across the street. Station torn down in 1950 — Map (db m70707) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Power House
On East Chestnut Street 0.1 miles east of South Lincoln Road, on the left when traveling east.
Power House Built in 1905 to provide power for the new Rochester-Syracuse and Eastern trolley line. Closed in 1931 after end of trolley service. — Map (db m135684) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Rialto Theater
On Main Street at East Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Rialto Theater Built in 1919 by Harold Dygert. Renamed the Capri in 1961. Converted to apartments in 1966. Questa candy store was adjacent to the theater. E.R. local history — Map (db m101134) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — School District No. 9
On North Washington Street (Route 153) at Monroe Street on North Washington Street.
School District No. 9 formed 1822 in towns Perinton & Pittsford First school built 1835 Later brick and stone school was used 1856 - 1898 — Map (db m101129) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Site of Tunnel
On East Maple Street at Main Street, on the left when traveling east on East Maple Street.
Site of tunnel which took workers under the RR tracks to the car shops. Established in 1897 the Merchant Despatch Transportation Co. was largely responsible for the early growth of the village. — Map (db m70706) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — The Piano Works
On West Commercial Street 0.1 miles west of Washington Street.
Opened in 1905, these buildings housed the largest piano manufacturing facility in the world. This poured concrete structure, unique to the area, produced high-quality pianos until 1985. — Map (db m65110) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Water Tower
On West Maple Street just east of Garfield Street, on the left when traveling west.
Erected in 1935 replacing a smaller tank on Lincoln Road and Filbert Place. It provided was to village for many years, ending in 1992. — Map (db m70708) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Worthing Homestead
On Lincoln Road just north of East Spruce Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1859 the land was a working farm into the 1940s. By 1952 the land was sold for a housing development. At that time Worthing Terrace and a portion of Eaglehead Road were constructed. — Map (db m64560) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — "Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal
On South Main Street (New York State Route 250) 0.1 miles north of Pleasant Street, on the right when traveling north.
"Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal Commercial block changes from necessities to niceities. South Main Street circa 1915. South Main Street circa 1950. South Main Street circa 1970. Nineteenth century commercial buildings . . . — Map (db m115447) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Abner Wight Home
On South Main Street (New York State Route 250) 0.1 miles north of Hulbert Road, on the right when traveling south.
Abner Wight Home Built by Abner Wight 1794 moved here from Wight farm across road. First white child to survive born here. Later home of Col. Howard. — Map (db m115341) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — American Can Company
On Parce Avenue at Park Street, on the right when traveling east on Parce Avenue.
Sanitary can developed on this site by G.W. Cobb in 1904 — Map (db m57772) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Baird Road
On Baird Road 0.1 miles north of Fairport Road (New York State Route 31F) when traveling north.
Historic District Site of 1800's farming community. First Perinton subdivision. R.S. & E. Trolley Stop — Map (db m65108) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Burying Ground
On East Church Street (New York State Route 31F) just east of Parker Street, on the left when traveling east.
Opened 1826 by Fairport Burying Ground Society. In 1890 reorganized as Greenvale Cemetery. Early settlers buried here. — Map (db m57741) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Center Cemetery
On Ayrault Rd. 0 miles from Thornfield Way, on the left when traveling east.
Early burial ground established 1813 on land given by Lyman Barker — Map (db m57682) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — D. Marsh Field
On Fairport Road (New York State Route 31F) just east of O'Connor Road, on the right when traveling west.
Site of town's first Little League Baseball field. Dedicated to P. David Marsh on June 8, 1953. — Map (db m65119) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — De Land Chemical Co.
On North Main Street (New York State Route 250) just south of Liftbridge Lane E., on the left when traveling south.
Site of Saleratus Works established 1852 by the De Land family. The product which sold internationally helped develop Fairport. — Map (db m57739) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Erie Canal Inn
On East Church Street (New York State Route 31F) 0 miles east of South Main Street (New York State Route 250), on the right when traveling east.
Erected at Fullamtown 1822 by Elisha Fullan. Housed 1st Perinton Post Office. Moved here 1850. Site if the 1st Fairport Library. — Map (db m57769) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Fairport Village Hall
On South Main Street (New York State Route 250) 0.1 miles north of Pleasant Street, on the left when traveling north.
Fairport Village Hall The timeless sentinel of South Main Street. Fairport Municipal Building circa 1908. Fairport Municipal Building circa 1933. The Village Hall, or Municipal Building, was built in 1906 as Perinton's Town Hall at a . . . — Map (db m115454) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Fullam's Basin
On West Church Street (New York State Route 31F) 0.2 miles east of O'Connor Road, on the right when traveling west.
Early rival of Fairport. Named for Elisha Fullam. From this settlement Erie Canal passengers often took stage to Rochester. — Map (db m65106) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Hamlet of Egypt
On Pittsford-Palmyra Road (New York State Route 31) 0.1 miles east of Victor Rd., on the right when traveling west.
Historic District Site of 1st town meeting Stagecoach and trolley stop Farming & canning center — Map (db m61903) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Hart's Woods
Near Clarkes Crossing.
Has been designated a National Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment — Map (db m57738) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — New York State Canals — The Great American Canal
Near O'Connor Road.
The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers and immigrants. Villages, towns, and cities were born along its . . . — Map (db m65107) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Old Erie Canal — 1825-1975
Near South Main Street (New York State Route 250) just east of West Ave..
150th Anniversary commemorated Sept. 1975 — Map (db m57770) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Spice Mill
On North Main Street (New York State Route 250) at Railroad Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
Near this site in 1883, the R.T. French Co. began milling spices. A fire in 1885 destroyed the plant causing move to Rochester. — Map (db m57773) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street
On South Main Street (New York State Route 250 at milepost 4.6) at Pleasant Street, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street.
The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street. A neighborhood changes with the times. Pure Oil gas station circa 1960. Hupp Motors circa 1930. Schine's Temple Theater circa 1927. Dr. Tubbs' house and office circa 1910. Church Motors circa 1953. . . . — Map (db m115448) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners
On East Church Street (New York State Route 31F) at South Main Street (New York State Route 250), on the right when traveling west on East Church Street.
The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners. The Green Lantern Inn, originally known as the DeLand Mansion, was built in 1876 by Henry DeLand, a local industrialist, for his family. In 1876, Fairport industrialist Henry DeLand built a . . . — Map (db m115446) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — The Potter Property
On West Church Street (New York State Route 31F) at Potter Place, on the left when traveling west on West Church Street.
The Potter Property From Private Estate to public amenity. Fred Potter. Spencer Philbrick's original Italianate mansion. Fred Potter and his chauffeur on West Church Street. The Potter Mansion. In 1858, Spencer Philbrick constructed a . . . — Map (db m115456) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — This Memorial
On West Church Street (New York State Route 31F) at Potter Place, on the left when traveling west on West Church Street.
This memorial in honor of the men and women of this community who answered their country's call. Dedicated in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m115455) WM
New York (Monroe County), Gates — Gates
On Buffalo Road (New York State Route 33) just west of Relim Blvd., on the right when traveling east.
Established March 30, 1802 as part of Northampton. June 10, 1812 named for General Horatio Gates, hero of Saratoga, 1777. Subdivided into Gates and Greece March 22, 1822. Geographical center of Monroe County. "County Cornerstone" — Map (db m60142) HM
New York (Monroe County), Gates — Harris Seed Farm
On Buffalo Road (New York State Route 33) 0.2 miles east of Manitou Road, on the left when traveling east.
1879 Founded by Joseph Harris editor and owner of the "Genesee Farmer" 1856-1865 County of Monroe 1959 — Map (db m65114) HM
New York (Monroe County), Gates — Town of Gates
On Buffalo Road (New York State Route 33) just west of Relim Blvd., on the right when traveling east.
Town of Gates Named in 1813 Last remnant of old town of Northampton — Map (db m60141) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Bird Migration Research — Long Term Migratory Bird Data — Natural History —
On Manitou Beach Road (New York State Route 261) 0.1 miles south of Braddocks Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Stopover Ecology This area provides critical food, cover from exposure to the elements and predators, suitable habitat for resting, and other resources migrant land birds need along their migration route. The area is protected and studied by . . . — Map (db m90204) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Braddock Bay Hawk Watch — Following the Curve of the Shore — Natural History —
Near Braddock Bay State Parkway 0.2 miles north of East Manitou Road (County Route 140).
Migrating Hawks Warming temperatures and southerly winds, preferably southwest here, produce flights of hundreds of thousands of raptors at Braddock Bay in a single day, making the shore along Braddock Bay one of the finest places in North . . . — Map (db m90244) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Converge on Montreal — The British Plan — French & Indian War —
On Braddock Bay State Parkway 0.2 miles north of East Manitou Road (County Route 140), on the right when traveling east.
Destination Montreal In 1759, the British plan for defeating the French in North America involved major expeditions that would cut off French supply routes up and down the St. Lawrence River, block French advances south through the Champlain . . . — Map (db m90216) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — 499 — Greenleaf Home
On Greenleaf Road.
Site of summer residence of Jean Brooks Greenleaf. President of NY State Woman Suffrage Assoc. 1890-1896. Campaigned for right to vote. — Map (db m132674) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Henpeck
On Ridgeway Avenue 0.2 miles south of Elmgrove Road.
The Port of South Greece with the "8 Mile Grocery" and post office, School No. 12, apple dryhouse, 25 houses, and 2 doctors' offices was a busy Erie Canal stop in the 1800s. — Map (db m58066) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Liberty Tree Memorial
Near Vince Tofany Blvd just east of Long Pond Road.
This American Liberty Elm was named after "The Liberty Tree: Our Community's first Symbol of Freedom." On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp . . . — Map (db m62091) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Long Pond Site
On Kuhn Rd. (County Route 103) at Long Pond Road (County Route 13B), on the right when traveling west on Kuhn Rd..
An Iroquois group camped here around 1400 A.D. Ash beds excavated in 1912 yielded artifacts of bone, stone and pottery. County of Monroe, 1961. — Map (db m77156) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Mt. Read & Paddy Hill
On Mt. Read Boulevard (County Route 150) at Latta Road (New York State Route 18), on the right when traveling north on Mt. Read Boulevard.
The first rural Roman Catholic church in New York State, known as the "Church in the Woods," dedicated to St. Ambrose, was established here in 1829 at Read's Corners, where Nicholas Read was an 1823 pioneer. Mt. Read bears his name. Devout Irish . . . — Map (db m113470) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Old Ridge Road
On West Ridge Road (New York State Route 104) at Long Pond Road on West Ridge Road.
Molded by the great glacier and long an Indian trail. Traveled by pioneers' oxcarts, covered wagons, stagecoaches. Town of Greece founded 1822. — Map (db m60144) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Old Trolley Route
On Edgemere Drive just from Long Pond Road, on the right when traveling west.
Old Trolley Route 1891-1925 Rochester-Grand View Beach and later Rochester-Manitou Railroad linked resorts of a gay era at the lakeside. — Map (db m62093) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Paddy Hill School
On Latta Road (New York State Route 18) at Old School Road (County Route 150), on the right when traveling east on Latta Road.
Paddy Hill School Formerly School No. 5 School District Est 1823. Property purchased for $50 on Oct. 1, 1839 for first school on this site. — Map (db m90141) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — 256 — World War II
On Dewey Avenue at Ling Road (County Route 143), on the left when traveling north on Dewey Avenue.
World War II Odenbach Shipbuilding Corp. built on this site ca. 1942. produced barges & tankers for war effort launched via channel to Lake Ontario. — Map (db m113457) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — A New Park
Near Hamlin Beach State Park Road 0.7 miles north of Lake Ontario Parkway.
The young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps' Company 1252 built much of what you see in the park today, including the comfort station and concession stand here. They built these structures from heavy stone and wooden timbers that they quarried . . . — Map (db m82682) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — Building a Park
On Hamlin Beach State Park Road 0.5 miles north of Lake Ontario Parkway, on the right when traveling west.
Originally called Northwest Beach Park when Monroe County began its development in 1929, the park's name was changed to Hamlin Beach State Park when New York State took title in January 1938. Company 1252 of the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived . . . — Map (db m82648) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — Hamlin No. 14
On Lake Road East Fork (New York State Route 19) at North Hamlin Road (County Route 209), on the right when traveling south on Lake Road East Fork.
The last common school district in the county to operate a one-room school, annexed to Hilton Central School District, Sept. 1956. — Map (db m78363) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — The CCC Goes to Work
Near Hamlin Beach State Park Road 0.5 miles north of Lake Ontario Parkway.
In 1935 and 1936, the young men of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1252 pruned trees, cleared the beach, and built roads and a large parking area in the park. They also quarried stone in Orleans County that would later be used to construct the . . . — Map (db m82655) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — The West Shelter
Near Hamlin Beach State Park Road 0.7 miles north of Lake Ontario Parkway.
The West Shelter, or Shelter 3 as it is known today, was built by the men of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1252 in 1937. They quarried the stone locally and cut the timbers in the CCC camp sawmill. The West Shelter as it . . . — Map (db m82681) HM
New York (Monroe County), Henrietta — District No. 6
On East Henrietta Road (New York State Route 15A) 0.1 miles south of Peakview Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Built 1882 Closed 1944 No. 6 was one of 11 districts in Henrietta - 588 students 1 class - 8 grades - 18 pupils water pail - stove - two privies Commemorated 1993 — Map (db m58094) HM
New York (Monroe County), Henrietta — The East Henrietta Village
On East Henrietta Road (New York State Route 15A) at Lehigh Station Road, on the right when traveling north on East Henrietta Road.
On this crossroads of East Henrietta and Lehigh Station Roads arose an early settlement known as the East Henrietta Village. It was critical to development of town. Early Buildings 1824 - Brick general store built at 3118 East Henrietta Road. . . . — Map (db m58095) HM
New York (Monroe County), Henrietta — The Great American Canal — The Canal System
Near Edgewood Avenue (County Route 102) 0.2 miles south of French Road.
The Great American Canal The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers and immigrants. Villages, town, and . . . — Map (db m110008) HM
New York (Monroe County), Henrietta — The Headmaster's House and the Monroe Academy
On East Henrietta Road (Route 15A) just north of Lehigh Station Road, on the right when traveling south.
This brick building at 3045 East Henrietta Road was built in 1826 for the headmaster of "The Monroe Academy", a secondary boarding school located across the street. The academy, built 1826 from bricks from the Deming Brickyard, was an impressive . . . — Map (db m58096) HM
New York (Monroe County), Henrietta — The West Henrietta Village
On West Henrietta Road (New York State Route 15) at Erie Station Road, on the left when traveling south on West Henrietta Road.
On this crossroads of West Henrietta and Erie Station Roads arose an early settlement known as the West Henrietta Village. It was critical to the development of the Town of Henrietta, NY.

Early Buildings: Chapman Hotel built 1821; second hotel . . . — Map (db m57777) HM

New York (Monroe County), Henrietta — West Henrietta Farm
On West Henrietta Road (New York State Route 15) at Wheeler Street, on the right when traveling south on West Henrietta Road.
Site of four-generation West Henrietta farming operation: The Tirabassi Farm Market, (1965-1995) and the Tirabassi Family Homestead (1932-2000) at 5569 West Henrietta Road. Established by Emidio Tirabassi of Sulmona, Italy and his sons Frank, . . . — Map (db m57776) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hilton — Hojack Railroad
On East Avenue at Railroad Avenue on East Avenue.
Opened as Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg RR, 1876. Fruit shipments by rail made Hilton prosper & grow. Last train ran March 31, 1978. — Map (db m60138) HM
New York (Monroe County), Honeoye Falls — 429 — Hickory Hill
On Keyes Road.
Settled by Solomon Scipio, free black man, ca. 1808. Hallock bros. purchased property 1866. Passed to Keyes family, their descendants. — Map (db m132768) HM
New York (Monroe County), Honeoye Falls — Mendon Town Hall
On West Main Street (County Route 94) at Episcopal Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street.
Mendon Town Hall Originally a mill - circa 1827 on site of pioneer Zebulon Norton's 1791 mill. Purchased by town in 1985. Remodeled into Town Hall 1986-87. Supervisor - Arnold J. Leckie Councilman - Andrew Grasty Jr. Councilman - Robert W. . . . — Map (db m116958) HM
New York (Monroe County), Honeoye Falls — Site of Mill
On West Main Street (County Route 94) 0.1 miles west of East Street, on the left when traveling west.
Site of Mill 1791 Built by Zebulon Norton of Vermont, first pioneer in village of Honeoye Falls. — Map (db m116956) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — An Early Doctor
On Empire Boulevard at LaFayette Road, on the right when traveling west on Empire Boulevard.
John Smyles came to Irondequoit 1805, also farmer, journalist, supervisor, abolitionist. Built this home in 1850. — Map (db m65239) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — British Army Encampment — Prideaux's Campaign — French & Indian War —
On Culver Road (County Route 120) 0.2 miles east of Sea Breeze drive, on the left when traveling east.
Bivouac For two days, July 2nd and 3rd, 1759, a force of 3,000 soldiers under the command of Brigidier General John Prideaux camped here. The army was advancing along the lake on a campaign from Oswego to Four Mile Creek, near Fort Niagara. . . . — Map (db m90266) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop
Near Titus Avenue 0.1 miles east of Oakview Drive.
Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop The oldest building in Irondequoit. Built in 1830 by Ransford Perrin. — Map (db m90154) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Fort Des Sables
On Culver Road (County Route 120) east of Lake Bluff Road, on the left when traveling east.
Fort Des Sables A French trading post built by Joncaire near this site in 1717 as a Seneca link to New France. Aroused British ire. — Map (db m90157) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Grant Homestead
On Saint Paul Boulevard just north of Leland Road, on the left when traveling north.
In the 1830's Sydney Grant pioneered West Irondequoit's schools with free evening classes in his home. — Map (db m93910) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Here Stands one of the Oldest Pieces of Earth
Near Titus Avenue 0.1 miles east of Oakview Drive.
Here stands one of the oldest pieces of earth known to man. The complex crystalline structure of this boulder shows that it is not a native of this region but is related to rocks in Canada far north of here. Thousands of years ago it was torn from . . . — Map (db m90156) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Hosea Rogers
On Saint Paul Boulevard at Rogers Parkway, on the left when traveling north on Saint Paul Boulevard.
Hosea Rogers Pioneer and Lake Captain born at Carthage 1812 settled here 1832 built this hime 1852 died here in 1904 — Map (db m117890) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Irondequoit Bay — Historic New York
On Empire Boulevard (New York State Route 404) at Wilbur Tract Road, on the right when traveling west on Empire Boulevard.
From Irondequoit Bay, Indian trails led southward to Seneca villages and on to the Ohio country. LaSalle abd French missionaries arrived in 1669. In 1687, Marquis de Denonville, governor of New France, landed with soldiers and Indian allies to . . . — Map (db m93767) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Irondequoit War Memorial
On Titus Avenue west of Kings Highway (County Route 118).
Dedicated to all the men and women of Irondequoit who served their country with respect and devotion. — Map (db m137316) WM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
Live acts on the Front Lawn have entertained thousands over the past century. To name just a few: lion & tiger tamers, flying trapeze acts, high diving shows (including horses!), Freddy's Funny Ford, alligator wrestling, song & dance shows, . . . — Map (db m86458) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
. . . — Map (db m86461) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
Before autos became the primary means of travel, today's south parking lot featreud some popular attractions. Danceland was home to big-name swing bands playing for your dancing pleasure (interior shot insert). The original Dodgem (aka Bumper Cars) . . . — Map (db m86529) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near 4600 Culver Road.
This photo shows the earliest version of the 1920 Jack Rabbit coaster and its loading station - which burned in 1923. The station has been modified over the years (see the 1950's inset with banners and ticket booth) and the ride has been rebuilt . . . — Map (db m86539) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
The "pole construction" building, now the park office, is shown here in its original location on Culver Road. The building originally served as a pavillion at the end of the trolley line. Later it was enclosed, became a restaurant and then a gift . . . — Map (db m86543) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
The merry-go-round is the centerpiece of the park's colorful history. It was in 1904 that George Long Sr. brought his 12-year-old son George Jr. (inset) and the family to operate a carousel concession. This was one of several rides built and run by . . . — Map (db m86550) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
In the Fifties, this area featured rides like Boats and Turtles, which later movd to today's Kiddie City. The original Goofy House was first a dark walk-thru, and later had a rotating barrel, 2-story slide, moving stairs, and tilted room - plus the . . . — Map (db m86554) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
Several kiddie rides were located under a porch roof on this spot in the 1950's, including the Horse & Buggy Ride (inset), A decade later, the Go Carts operated here - gas powered carts you'd drive around a track with wooden bumper rails. Soon the . . . — Map (db m86555) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Near Culver Road.
Today's home-grown Bobsleds ride began as the park's Junior Coaster, as shown here in the large picture. The early ride featured boxy cars (left inset) that rode on flat tracks on a simple two-level structure. But in the Sixties, park owner George . . . — Map (db m86557) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Our Irondequoit
On East Ridge Road (County Route 241) west of Brambury Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Our Irondequoit melon was developed here on the Wm. Sutton farm. Its seed was first sold 1899. Very famous for its taste. Wiped out by blight 1940s. — Map (db m90142) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Pioneer Home
Near Titus Avenue 0.1 miles east of Oakview Drive.
Pioneer Home built about 1830 on Ridge Road just west of Culver, this sturdy New England "salt box" style home has been moved twice. — Map (db m90153) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Seneca People
On Culver Rd 0.3 miles east of Sea Breeze Drive, on the left when traveling east.
With this marker, the Town of Irondequoit honors the Seneca People, whose ancient trails cross this land. We honor The Keepers of the Western Door who hunted and fished, lived and planted food here. To the People of the Great Hill, we . . . — Map (db m63994) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Swayne's Corners
On East Ridge Road (County Route 241) at Culver Road (County Route 120), on the right when traveling west on East Ridge Road.
Swayne's Corners Town of Irondequoit organized April 2, 1839 at his early crossroad settlement. Here later were Swayne's Hotel and, until 1957, Forest House. — Map (db m90169) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — The Leopold Lion
Near Culver Road.
Edward F. Long and his family - the first generation of the family that now owns and operates Seabreeze - began building carousels in Philadelphia in 1876. They built eight major carousels, and the animals were carved in local shops primarily by the . . . — Map (db m86412) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — The Seabreeze Time Line
Near Culver Road.
Take a walk through the park's colorful history of providing family fun for over 130 years. c. 1879, The Park Opens The park opens in 1879 as the final stop on the Rochester & Lake Ontario Railroad Company's steam train line, running . . . — Map (db m86491) HM
New York (Monroe County), Mendon — Mendon Academy
On Mendon Ionia Road (New York State Route 64) 0.1 miles south of Rush Mendon Road (New York State Route 251), on the right when traveling south.
Mendon Academy Incorporated 1836. Aquired by Mendon School District No 2, Jan 3, 1839. Closed as school and sold to fire district, 1950. — Map (db m126146) HM
New York (Monroe County), Mendon — Totiakton
On Plains Road 0.1 miles north of Scofield Road, on the right when traveling north.
Totiakton "In the great bend" July 1687, French victors over Senecas lifted their standards and claimed this country for Louis XIV. — Map (db m116951) HM
New York (Monroe County), Mumford — First School West of the Genesee
On Main Street (New York State Route 383) at Riga Mumford Rd. (New York State Route 36), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Site of the first school west of the Genesee River. Built 1801. The first teacher was Miss Luseba Scott. Genesee County Bicentennial — Map (db m65219) HM
New York (Monroe County), Mumford — First United Church of Mumford
On George Street at William Street on George Street.
Built 1869-1883 "Bog" limestone quarried from a rare fossilized deposit on the Oliver Allen Farm east of Mumford — Map (db m65218) HM
New York (Monroe County), Mumford — McArthur Cabin
On Scottsville-Mumford Road (Route 383) just east of Twin Bridge Road, on the left when traveling west.
Findley McArthur and son built 20x30 cabin 1803-1805 of oak & poplar from farm. Sen. McNaughton's office attached on east side. — Map (db m58021) HM
New York (Monroe County), Mumford — Scottish Pioneers built here in 1806
On Scottsville-Mumford Road (New York State Route 383) at Riga-Mumford Road (New York State Route 36) on Scottsville-Mumford Road.
Scottish Pioneers built here in 1806 the first schoolhouse west of the Genesee River. Formed here in 1805 the First Pres. Kirk oldest living church west of the river. Marker set July 4, 1925 — Map (db m64561) HM
New York (Monroe County), Odgen — Indian Hill
On Dewey Street (County Route 167) 0.5 miles east of McIntosh Road (County Route 204), on the right when traveling east.
Indian Hill Indian encampment when whites entered region. Grandparents of Frances E. Willard settled here 1816 as pioneers on this land. — Map (db m115293) HM
New York (Monroe County), Ogden — Site of Home of Alexander Milliner
On Canal Road (County Route 175) at Washington Street (County Route 212), on the left when traveling east on Canal Road.
Site of Home of Alexander Milliner, drummer boy in bodyguard of George Washington. Later, soldier in Revolutionary War. — Map (db m113480) HM WM
New York (Monroe County), Parma — First Settlement in the Town of Parma
On Hill Road 0.8 miles north of Parma Center Road (County Route 185), on the right when traveling north.
First Settlement in the Town of Parma. Bezaleel Atchinson and family came in 1796. He erected a log house and first schoolhouse nearby. — Map (db m113472) HM
New York (Monroe County), Parma — In Memory of All Who Served
Near Hilton Parma Road (New York State Route 259) 0.5 miles south of Parma Center Road (New York State Route 18).
In memory of all who served their country in time of need, and especially those who paid the supreme sacrifice. May their souls rest in peace, amen. — Map (db m113471) WM
New York (Monroe County), Parma — Little White Meetinghouse
On Parma Center Road (County Route 185) 0.2 miles west of Hilton Parma Road (New York State Route 259), on the right when traveling east.
Erected in 1844. Oldest house of worship now standing in Parma. Post-and-beam construction. Built entirely by labor of members of First Presbyterian Society of Parma. Organized March 24, 1829. Its 13 charter members included State Senator John E. . . . — Map (db m113473) HM
New York (Monroe County), Penfield — Camp Site 1687
On Clark Road at Denonville Ridge, on the right when traveling south on Clark Road.
Camp Site 1687 Denonville's army of about 2600 Frenchmen and Indians camped here overnight July 12 on the way to attack the Seneca Indians. — Map (db m115348) HM
New York (Monroe County), Penfield — Daniel Penfield — Town Founder
On Penfield Road (New York State Route 441) at Five Mile Line Road, on the right when traveling west on Penfield Road.
Daniel Penfield Town Founder 1750-1840 The Penfield Bicentennial Committee dedicated this statue of town founder Daniel Penfield to the citizens of Penfield in commemoration of the town's bicentennial in 2010. Daniel Penfield, an astute . . . — Map (db m109984) HM
New York (Monroe County), Penfield — Penfield - 1810
On Penfield Road (New York State Route 441) at Five Mile Line Road, on the right when traveling east on Penfield Road.
Penfield - 1810 Named for Daniel Penfield original proprietor. First town meeting was held April 2, 1811 in early schoolhouse here. — Map (db m109982) HM
New York (Monroe County), Penfield — The Falls
On North Washington Street at Falls View Lane, on the right when traveling north on North Washington Street.
The Falls of Irondequoit Creek dropped 90 feet in a mile called "Sgoh-Sa-Is-Thah" by the Indians, later gave power to many mills. — Map (db m115345) HM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — Elmwood Cemetery
On Carter Road (County Route 30) at Furman Road, on the left when traveling north on Carter Road.
Elmwood Cemetery Early burial ground established 1820 on land given by the Conklin and Carter families. — Map (db m115342) HM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — Glover Perrin
On Ayrault Road (County Route 21) 0.2 miles west of Moseley Road (New York State Route 250), on the right when traveling east.
Glover Perrin built Perinton's first log cabin here in 1790. His brother Jesse in 1791 cleared land to the west used for cemetery. — Map (db m115340) HM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — Hamlet of Egypt
On Pittsford-Palmyra Road (New York State Route 31) at Hogan Road, on the right when traveling east on Pittsford-Palmyra Road.
Hamlet of Egypt Historic District Site of 1st town meeting Stagecoach & trolley stop Farming & canning center — Map (db m115308) HM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — Hannan Homestead
On Pittsford-Palmyra Road (New York State Route 31) 0.1 miles east of Moseley Road (New York State Route 250), on the right when traveling east.
Hannan Homestead occupied since 1810 by Hannan family. James Hannan, pioneer and 1812 soldier; son and grandson Perinton Supervisors. — Map (db m109973) HM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — Historic Church
On Wilkinson Road 0.1 miles west of Pannell Road, on the right when traveling east.
Historic Church South Perinton United Methodist Church. Oldest church in Perinton. Founded in 1837. — Map (db m115309) HM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — This Memorial Site
On Carter Road (County Route 30) at Furman Road, on the right when traveling south on Carter Road.
This memorial site is dedicated to all veterans of the armed forces of the United States of America who have faithfully served their country and have been laid to rest in the Elmwood Cemetery. "The mystic cords of memory, stretching from every . . . — Map (db m115343) WM
New York (Monroe County), Perinton — Town of Perinton — Early Burial Ground — 1817-1928 —
On Fairport Road (Route 31F) at Dell Rd., on the left when traveling east on Fairport Road.
Established on a one-acre tract of land given to the town by the Northrup family. — Map (db m56268) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Auburn Line Park
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Location of Samuel Hildreth's stagecoach barns 1814-1834. Route of the Auburn & Rochester railroad line serving Pittsford from 1840-1989 — Map (db m131104) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Cartersville
On East Street just south of East Jefferson Road (New York State Route 96), on the right when traveling south.
An active shipping port on the Erie Canal. Horses were changed here in the Towpath era. — Map (db m61913) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Changing Alignments — The Canalway Trail: Pittsford
Near Clover Street 0.2 miles west of Framingham Lane.
Changing Alignments Lock 32, completed in 1916, is one of the third and last generation of locks to be built in Pittsford and in New York State. It replaced the Enlarged Erie Lock 62, built during the 1850s Enlargement which widened the . . . — Map (db m110014) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Cobblestone Academy
On Church Street 0.1 miles east of South Main Street (Route 96), on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m101126) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — District #1
On Mendon Road (New York State Route 64) at Mendon Center Road, on the right when traveling west on Mendon Road.
First school house in Monroe County was erected on this site in 1794. John Barrows was first teacher. — Map (db m57424) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Erie Canal — Albany to Buffalo
On North Main Street 0.2 miles from Monroe Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Begun 1817, completed 1825. Enlarged 1850's and early 1900's. This section opened 1822, making Pittsford an active commercial port. — Map (db m57405) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Erie Canal — Heritage Trail
Near Marsh Road.
"The Great Embankment" completed 1822 is one mile long, 70 feet high across Irondequoit Creek Valley — Map (db m57427) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — First Library
On Mendon Center Road 0.2 miles north of Guilford Way, on the right when traveling north.
First Library in the Genesee Country. Northfield Library Co., 1803-1808, kept its books at the farm of Ezra Patterson, first librarian. — Map (db m101123) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Historic Schoen Place
On Schoen Place 0.1 miles north of State Street (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling north.
Through much of Pittsford's history, farming and agriculture related businesses dominated the local economy. The completion of the Erie Canal in 1824 led to a local commercial boom including the construction of wharves and warehouses along the . . . — Map (db m115402) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Hopkins Homestead
On Clover Street (New York State Route 65 at milepost 9.6), 0.1 miles south of Calkins Road, on the right when traveling south.
Hopkins Homestead Settled by Col. Caleb Hopkins, hero of War of 1812. Given honor of naming Pittsford for his hometown in Vermont. — Map (db m116952) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — In Honor of All Pittsford Veterans
On North Main Street (New York State Route 96) 0.1 miles north of State Street (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling south.
Dedicated to the men and women of the armed forces on the United States. May prosperity keep faith with those who served and above all with those who did not return that their sacrifices shall not have been made in vain. We remember. Pittsford . . . — Map (db m115403) WM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Phoenix Hotel
On State Street (New York State Route 31) at S. Main Street (New York State Route 96) on State Street.
Federal style inn built about 1812 to serve Erie Canal and turnpike trade. Restored in 1967 — Map (db m57428) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Pittsford Village
On N Main Street (New York State Route 96) 0.1 miles north of Monroe Avenue (New York State Route 31), on the right when traveling south.
Founded August 1789 by Captain Simon Stone and Lieutenant Israel Stone — Map (db m57433) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Seneca Trail
On East Jefferson Road (New York State Route 96) 0.5 miles east of East Street, on the right when traveling west.
Crossing the Irondequoit's thickly wooded perilous valley. Here Gen. Denonville expected an Indian ambush enroute to Gannagaro, 1687. — Map (db m57435) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Spring House - 1822
On Monroe Avenue (New York State Route 31) 0.1 miles east of Clover Street (New York State Route 65), on the right when traveling east.
Resort hotel on stage route and near old lock 62 on the original Erie Canal renowned for sulphur springs nearby — Map (db m57431) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — The First House
On State Street (New York State Route 31) just east of South Street, on the right when traveling west.
The First House in Pittsford was erected on this spot by Israel Stone in 1789 — Map (db m64527) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — The Great American Canal — The Canal System
Near Colver Street (New York State Route 65) 0.2 miles south of Framingham Lane.
The Great American Canal The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers and immigrants. Villages, town, and . . . — Map (db m110017) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — The Story of the Powder Mills
Near Park Road (County Route 25) 0.2 miles west of Corduroy Road.
The story of Powder Mills Park begins around 1850 when Daniel C. Rand arrived in this area from Middletown, Connecticut, where he was working for a manufacturer of blasting powder. The methods of making blasting powder, which is simply a coarse . . . — Map (db m115406) HM
New York (Monroe County), Riga — Early Church
On Chili-Riga Center Road (New York State Route 33A) at Chuchville-Riga Road on Chili-Riga Center Road.
First Congregational Church of Riga. Church society started 1806. Building erected 1823, copy of Hinsdale, Mass. Church — Map (db m58035) HM
New York (Monroe County), Riga — Riga Academy
On Chili-Riga Center Road (New York State Route 33A) at Riga-Mumford Road (New York State Route 36) on Chili-Riga Center Road.
A flourishing school for boarding and day pupils was organized here in 1846. The building was earlier known as Thomson's Tavern. — Map (db m58036) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 1822 Lighthouse
On Lighthouse Street 0.1 miles north of Latta Road.
Built where Indians camped and the William Hincher Family settled in 1792. Restored by the Lighthouse Historical Society in 1984. — Map (db m39970) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 1835 House
On South Fitzhugh Street at Troup Street, on the left when traveling north on South Fitzhugh Street.
1835 House Home of Benjamin Campbell, merchant-miller; later of Frederick Whittlesey, jurist. Headquarters, Landmark Society — Map (db m115295) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Austin Steward 1793-1869
On Main St. E. at St. Paul, on the right when traveling west on Main St. E..
Austin Steward, a freed slave, settled in Rochesterville in 1817, where he opened a butcher shop. In 1818, he constructed a two-story building on this site for his expanding grocery and dry goods store. Steward was a strong advocate of temperance . . . — Map (db m55772) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Battle of the Bulge
On Lake Ave at Beach Ave., on the right when traveling north on Lake Ave.
World War II This memorial is dedicated to the soldiers who fought in the bloodiest battle waged by the American army in World War II. The Ardennes Campaign was fought in Belgium and Luxembourg December 16, 1944 - January 25, 1945 Forcing the . . . — Map (db m62097) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Bausch & Lomb Riverside Park — Empires in America/Securing Western New York/Elmwood Avenue Bridge
Near Wilson Boulevard at Elmwood Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Empires in America After Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492, European invaders claimed it for themselves. By the middle of the eighteenth century, France, England, and Spain claimed possession of most of the North American . . . — Map (db m131876) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Boat Building
On Stutson Street at River Street, on the right when traveling east on Stutson Street.
The building of boats has been an important industry throughout the history of the port. The first schooner built on the Genesee was named the Jemima, built in the 1790's at the place known as "Fall Town," King's Landing and Hanford Landing. Also on . . . — Map (db m90557) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Brighton Village
On East Avenue (New York State Route 96) 0.1 miles west of Winton Road, on the right when traveling east.
Brighton Village In early 19th century, hub of activity on stage route & canal, famed for seeds & nurseries. Church first organized in 1817. Rochester annexed village in 1905. — Map (db m115350) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Broad Street
On West Broad Street (New York State Route 31) at Fitzhugh Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street.
Broad Street is built over the way of The Erie Canal Which was completed in1825 This section was last used in the season 1919 The canal was an artery carrying life to many communities The steady flow of commerce from the Great Lakes to the . . . — Map (db m63997) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Camp Fitz-John Porter
Near Genesee Riverway Trail.
Camp Fitz-John Porter ——· • · —— On this site in 1862 was erected Camp Fitz-John Porter as a recruit camp for Civil War soldiers. Named after a Union general, it was the initial training ground for Monroe County's 108th . . . — Map (db m115287) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Camp Hillhouse
On Crittenden Boulevard at Castleman Road, on the left when traveling west on Crittenden Boulevard.
Camp Hillhouse Col. Crooks' 8th N.Y. Vol. Cav. & Irish Brigade of 105th N.Y. Vol. Inf. used this county fairground site as Civil War recruiting station, 1861-62. — Map (db m115301) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Casconchiagon
Near Maplewood Park near Driving Park Avenue.
Indian village at falls nearby. Occupied until 1819. — Map (db m58205) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Champion of the Genesee River / A Beacon of Knowledge
On Stutson Street at River Street on Stutson Street.
"Champion of the Genesee River" [west side] Bill Davis was born May 6, 1918 in Plymouth, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Penn State University as an industrial engineer and came to Rochester in 1939 where he worked for the Eastman Kodak Company. . . . — Map (db m90512) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Changes Over Time — Turning Point Park — Genesee Riverway —
Near Boxart Street 0.2 miles east of Calvin Road.
Changes Over Time 19th Century Industrial Era For a century, starting in the 1870s, this area of the Genesee River was dominated by industrial uses. The railroad trestle, shown above, was built up on this site in 1909 to transfer coal from . . . — Map (db m117894) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Charlotte Cemetery
On River Street 0.1 miles north of Lake Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Charlotte Cemetery Maintained by the County of Monroe Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Civil War Veterans, Lake Captains, Sam Patch and first lighthouse keeper rest here. — Map (db m90172) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse
Near Lighthouse Street 0.1 miles north of Latta Road.
A Strategic Location Charlotte was once a bustling commercial shipping port, the destination of sidewheelers and sailing vessels unloading supplies for a growing city and loading products from the region. Today the harbor is still an . . . — Map (db m90400) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Civil War Memorial in Mount Hope Cemetery
Near Mount Hope Avenue.
This memorial has no identifying text other than a short excerpt from Theodore O'Hara's poem, Bivouac of the Dead On Fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread, And Glory guards with solemn round the bivouac of the . . . — Map (db m70733) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Clara Barton Red Cross Trail
On Mount Hope Avenue (New York State Route 15) 0.1 miles south of Westfall Road, on the right when traveling north.
Clara Barton Red Cross Trail linking chapters 1 & 2 of the American Red Cross founded by Miss Barton at Dansville & Rochester 1881 — Map (db m115302) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Cobbs Hill Park / Cobbs Hill
On Culver Road 0.1 miles north of Norris Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Cobbs Hill Park Public land first acquired for the city's second distributing reservoir. Completed 1908. Capacity 144,000,000 Gallons. George Eastman donated land along Culver Road 1909 and with the financial help of other citizens the city . . . — Map (db m57402) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — County of Monroe
On Main St. W at Fitzhugh St, on the right when traveling east on Main St. W.
Created February 23, 1821 - Named for James Monroe Born April 28, 1758, Virginia - Died July 4, 1831, New York Major in the American Revolution - Senator from Virginia United States Minister to France and England Twice Governor of Virginia - . . . — Map (db m57092) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Crossing the River by Ferry
On Stutson Street at River Street, on the right when traveling east on Stutson Street.
Native Americans and early French explorers traveled by canoe and used Irondequoit Bay as the entrance to Genesee Country. Since the river was the easiest way of shipping goods to the lake, Canandaigua merchants commissioned Oliver Culver (in 1803) . . . — Map (db m90567) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Crossroads of Transportation — Rochester transitions from horse & wagon to canals, railroads, subway, buses and automobiles
On West Main Street (New York State Route 33) at Broad Street (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling east on West Main Street.
Canals provide an inexpensive way to move people and goods 1825 The Erie Canal The Erie Canal connects the Hudson River and Lake Erie. The 363 miles of navigable waterway provided a cost-efficient way to transport goods to and from the . . . — Map (db m61901) HM

337 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 137
Paid Advertisement