Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Niagara County New York Historical Markers

299 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 99
 
Northward View David Barker Marker image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 19, 2014
Northward View David Barker Marker
New York (Niagara County), Barker — David Barker
Born Vermont 2-23-1794. Took up land 1815. Wed Vania Herendeen 1820. Built brick house 1834. Died 1886 - Quaker Cemetary. Somerset Society. — Map (db m73944) HM
New York (Niagara County), Barker — Pallister House
Built 1895-1896 for Perry L. Pallister first President of the Village of Barker. — Map (db m73883) HM
New York (Niagara County), Cambria — 1848 Root House
"Underground Railroad" site Home of abolitionists Martha and Thomas Root. Fugitives were hidden in wagons under produce and taken to Canada. — Map (db m77866) HM
New York (Niagara County), Cambria — DEC. 19th, 1813
DEC. 19th, 1813. Site of log cabin arsenal used by settlers, who with the aid of the Tuscaroras halted the British from burning areas eastward. — Map (db m70866) HM
New York (Niagara County), Cambria — Howell's TavernBuilt 1808
Oldest clapboard house in Niagara County. Built by William Howell on 1801 log cabin site of Philip Beach, first settler. First town meeting held here. — Map (db m81132) HM
New York (Niagara County), Cambria — North Ridge Methodist Episcopal ChurchBuilt 1846-1848
A good example of Greek Revival architecture and cobblestone masonry construction. First church building in North Ridge. Listed on state and national historic registers: 2002. Sign donated in memory of Suzanne Schultz. — Map (db m73745) HM
New York (Niagara County), Cambria — Soldier's Memorial
[counter clockwise] Soldier's Memorial Fallen Heroes. — Map (db m100789) WM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Cobblestone House
Built ca.1833 for Philo Newton, early settler, who was born in Vermont in 1797. This house is on the State and National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m78465) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Cobblestone House
Built ca.1843 for Harry Harrington early settler. Born in Vermont Hartland Town Justice until 1849 Accepted on the State and National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m78466) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Cobblestone House
Cobblestone House Built ca.1836 for Amzi and Alzada Bradley. Early settlers from Connecticut. This house is on the State and National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m82839) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Cobblestone School
Town of Hartland District 10. Built 1845. The earliest cobble- stone school in Niagara County. Used for over 100 years. On State and National Register. — Map (db m78634) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Hartland Central Cemetery
(Skeels burying ground) Grave of early settler Hiram Southwell (1807) is the earliest marked grave in Niagara County — Map (db m78398) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Hartland Corners
Settled in 1814 and known as Morehouse's Corners. The former hotel, school, blacksmith shop and stores served our early settlers — Map (db m78397) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Johnson Creek
The earliest Hartland hamlet Settled after 1803 and named after this creek - Had mills - wagon & cooper shops - hotel blacksmith's and stores — Map (db m78468) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Major J. Morrison
Maj. J. Morrison, one of Niagara Counties earliest settlers came from Upper Canada and built log cabin on this site in 1803. — Map (db m73171) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Quaker Meeting House / Quaker Cemetery
[east side]Quaker Meeting House 1836 cobblestone meeting house of the Hartland Orthodox Friends was in use until 1905 (See reverse side)[west side] Quaker Cemetery The Orthodox Friends Cemetery was used from 1836 until 1905 (See reverse . . . — Map (db m78464) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Town of Hartland World War I and World War II Memorial
1917-1918 [eagle] 1941-1945 This memorial is erected by the citizens of the Town of Hartland in honor of its veterans of World War I and World War II and is dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice World War I . . . — Map (db m78400) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — 500 Center Street Archaeological Site
Archaeological investigations at the First Niagara Bank at 500 Center Street in Lewiston, New York, yielded abundant information about how people utilized the site during historic and prehistoric times. Prehistoric artifacts recovered from the . . . — Map (db m82110) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Alumni Hall / Chapel(1872)
Ravaged by fire on two separate occasions, Alumni Hall stands today as the second oldest building on campus. Construction began in 1874, but the building was not completed until 1888. All but its stately stone exterior was destroyed by fires in 1898 . . . — Map (db m77277) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Bailo Hall (1992)
Completed in 1992, Bailo Hall houses the admissions offices and interview rooms for prospective students. The two-story stone and brick building was built through the generosity of Rose Marie Bailo in memory of her husband, Joh Bailo, and her son, . . . — Map (db m87770) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Barton House
Erected in 1815 by Major Benjamin Barton. His earlier home destroyed in the burning of Lewiston by the British. The hill top was the site of a U.S. artillery battery in the Battle of Queenston, the first conflict on the Niagara Frontier in the War . . . — Map (db m82238) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — British Landing
British troops commanded by Col. Murray landed December 19, 1813 on shore of river - marched north - captured Fort Niagara holding it until May 22, 1815.Map (db m67338) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Clet Hall, Marillac Hall, Laboure Hall1862
Clet Hall (1862) The first building erected after purchase of the campus in 1856 was Clet Hall. it was build in 1862 to house Our Lady of Angels Seminary, the institution that was the forerunner of Niagara University. Clet has two wings, . . . — Map (db m77245) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dedicated to the Men and Women
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served our country in time of war. — Map (db m82300) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dickersonville Cemetery
Burial Ground of Early Settlers Hannah Mills 1811, Isaac Woolson 1820, 2nd Lt. John Farley 1822. Historic Preservation Commission, Town of Lewiston. — Map (db m72999) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dunleavy Hall(1972)
Dunleavy Hall is named for its primary benefactors, Francis J. Dunleavy, Class of '41, and his wife Albina. The modern structure, distinctive in contrast to the stately 19th- and 20th-century buildings that dominate the campus, was built at a cost . . . — Map (db m78638) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Fighting for HomelandAmerican Indian Allies — New York State French & Indian War Commemoration - 250 Years
British and French Compete for Alliances Both the French and the British negotiated with American Indian tribes, either to gain their support or to convince them to remain neutral. In Canada, Algonquian tribes; the Ottawa, Huron, Abenaki, and . . . — Map (db m77202) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — For God and Country
Throughout its history, Niagara has prepared its graduates in peace and war for service to America. From the Civil War to both World Wars and Vietnam, its men and women have served with distinction. This monument commemorates those who . . . — Map (db m78858) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Fort DemlerThe British fortify the Portage route
The British gained control of the region in 1759 and, in 1762, constructed a small post, Fort Demler, to protect the landing area. Initially garrisoned by a platoon of eight soldiers, the fort consisted of a small, two-room guardhouse and a 54' by . . . — Map (db m66322) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Fort Joncaire
2nd building in Lewiston Built 1720 near this spot A palisaded trading post First French Fort on Niagara RiverMap (db m57148) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Freedom Crossing Monument
A tribute to the enslaved who sought a new life of freedom in Canada and to the local volunteers who help them on their journey to cross the Niagara River. Lewiston, New York The underground railroad was a secret network . . . — Map (db m66339) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Freedom Crossing Monument
It was here, along the Niagara River in the mid-1800s, that enslaved African Americans from the Southern United States first saw Canada, known as "the Promised Land" -- the place where they could live free forever. Local volunteers, led by Josiah . . . — Map (db m66400) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Gacioch Family Alumni and Admissions Center(1926)
Originally named Our Lady of Angels Faculty House, the Gacioch Family Alumni and Admission Center is home to Niagara University's Offices of Advancement, Admissions, Alumni, and Public Relations/Marketing. The building originally opened in 1926, . . . — Map (db m77247) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Grand View
Built 1849 by Reuben H. & Maria Barton Broughton. R.H. Broughton served as state assemblyman - 1837. Town Supervisor - 1856. In 1857, it was purchased by Silas Hopkins, first judge of Niagara County and was named Grand View. Grand View was . . . — Map (db m82803) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Hennepin Hall
Built in the 1840's by Sherbourne Piper. Many prominent Lewiston families have resided here. Purchased by the Catholic parish in 1953 and renamed for Father Hennepin, a Catholic priest who accompanied LaSalle to this area in 1678. — Map (db m82776) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Hennepin Park
This park is named after Father Louis Hennepin, a Belgian missionary who accompanied the French explorer Sieur de La Salle to this area in 1678. Hennepin, a Recollect priest, was not the first European to see Niagara Falls, but his colorful written . . . — Map (db m82132) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — In Memory of Thomas F. Hopkins
who at the age of 21, perished, whilst nobly endeavoring to stay the progress of the fire which consumed the seminary, Dec. 5, 1864. — Map (db m77282) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Kelsey Tavern
Erected in 1820 by Thomas and Catherine Kelsey. In 1825 Marquis De Lafayette spent the night in this inn and was reunited with Nicholas Cusick, a Tuscarora Chief, who was his scout during the Revolution and whom he credited with with saving his life. — Map (db m82099) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Kiwanians Promoting PeaceThen & Now
June tenth 1963. A peace plaque was established at the international boundary on the new Lewiston-Queenston Bridge by the Kiwanis Club of Lewiston, New York and the Stamford, Ontario Club. The plaque was unveiled by Richard H. Drake, left, president . . . — Map (db m82129) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lewiston AcademyBuilt in 1824
This cornerstone is all that remains of the first New York State chartered school in Niagara County. Students from both sides of the border attended this fine school from 1826 through the 1850's.

This monument placed by the Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m75650) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lewiston Mound
This Hopewell-sytle burial mound dates to A.D. 160+80. Thousands of similar mounds are located in the Ohio River Valley where the Hopewell lived in small scattered settlements from about 200 B.C. to A.D. 500.The Hopewell mound builders were . . . — Map (db m66334) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Little Yellow House - 1816
In 1810, the few settlers of the village under the leadership of pioneers Bates Cooke and Benjamin Barton petitioned the state of New York to have this area changed from a public square to building lots for purposes of selling. Benjamin Barton was . . . — Map (db m72506) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lower Landing Archeological District — National Historic Landmark
Lower Landing Archeological District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America The . . . — Map (db m66332) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909)
Lynch Hall (1927) One of the campus residence halls, this four-story structure was completed in 1927. It is named for the Rev. John J. Lynch, C.M. (1816-1888), the co-founder of this university. In 1856, Father Lynch and a colleague, Father . . . — Map (db m77246) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Oak Hill and Scovell Knoll
Scovell Knoll is a rocky outcrop formed by an erosion-resistant bedrock cap that protected the area from the leveling effects of the glaciers during the end of the last ice age. The area has hydrologic features associated with fissures in the . . . — Map (db m82247) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Opera Hall
Built by Joseph T. Hewitt, about 1840, as a series of stores. Later became known as Moss Hall. At one time housed a Waterfrount mission. Was the center of social activity, known as the Opera Hall, at the turn of the century. The west section was . . . — Map (db m82096) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — O'Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970)
O'Shea Hall (1967)One of the two largest residence halls on campus, O'Shea Hall was completed in 1967. The eight-story structure has a capacity of 400 students. Administrative offices are located in the basement and on the ground floor. It is . . . — Map (db m78639) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Robert Moses Niagara Power Plant Turbine
Turbine Specifications: Vertical Francis Hydraulic Turbine Manufactured by - Voith Siemen Hydro Power Co., York, PA Placed in Service - 1991 Approximate weight - 92 tons Diameter - 17 feet 8 inches (5.38 meters) Maximum Horsepower . . . — Map (db m77166) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Site of Hustler's Tavern
This is the site of the once famous Hustler's tavern (no longer standing) where legend says the cocktail was invented. This popular establishment was one of Lewiston's original buildings and was the social hub of the community. The owners, Thomas . . . — Map (db m73169) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — St. Vincent's Hall(1906)
Commonly known as "Vinnie's," this four-story "Collegiate Gothic" structure is named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Congregation of the Mission. Originally called "The New Gymnasium," is was named St. Vincent's in 1909, some three years . . . — Map (db m77280) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Suspension Bridge TollhouseJuly 21, 1899 to November 2, 1962
This tollhouse was part of the Lewiston-Queenston Suspension Bridge which spanned the Lower Niagara River at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment near today’s Artpark.

Historic Lewiston Bridge Linked U.S. with Canada After the first . . . — Map (db m75744) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Battle of Queenston HeightsWar of 1812 — October 13, 1812
On this day, Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer launched a U.S. attack on British Canada with an assault force of regulars and militia. Initially they were pinned down along the shore until Captain John Ellis Wool and his men scaled the heights . . . — Map (db m57083) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Battle of Queenston HeightsFirst Battle of the War — War of 1812
From this point on October 13, 1812, U.S. troops launched an invasion of Queenston Heights, Canada in an attempt to seize Fort George and control the river. The Battle was a disaster for the Americans, as they suffered heavy losses and ultimately . . . — Map (db m57088) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Cibola Anchor
From the wreckage of the steamship Cibola which caught fire at the Lewiston dock on July 15, 1895. Tragedy struck in 1895 when the Cibola caught fire at the Lewiston dock and in turn, burned the American Hotel to the ground. The fire started in . . . — Map (db m82152) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The CradlesBritish military engineering eases the ascent from the river to the top of the Escarpment.
Originally, Seneca porters carried goods and boats up the Escarpment for the French and the british. In 1750, Swedish traveler Peter Kalm reported that 200 Seneca were employed in carrying on their backs packs of bear and deer skin and that he saw . . . — Map (db m66328) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The First Religious Society of Lewiston
Organized and Presbyterian form of government adopted on January 20th, 1817, by Aaron and Lucy Childs, John and Elizabeth Robinson and Polly Huggins. Incorporated on June 12th, 1817, by Benjamin Barton, Aaron Childs, Erastus Park, Augustus Porter, . . . — Map (db m82235) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Gully and Portage RoadThe beginning of safe passage around the treacherous waters of Niagara Gorge and the Falls
Located at the base of the Niagara Escarpment, the ravine known as the Gully provided a naturally sheltered docking area where the Niagara River flows out of the steep and unnavigable Niagara Gorge. From this docking area, the Gully provided access . . . — Map (db m94983) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Lewiston Mound
This Hopewell-style burial mound dates to A.D. 160+80. Thousands of similar mounds are located in the Ohio River Valley where the Hopewell lived in small scattered settlements from about 200 B.C. to A.D. 500. The Hopewell mound builders were great . . . — Map (db m94966) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Long and The Short House
Built in the 1820's by a lawyer named William Hotchkiss. The Long House, his home was the center of social activity after the War of 1812. The Short House was his law office. — Map (db m82117) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Lower LandingNorthern terminus of the Niagara Porter, early bypass route around Niagara Falls
For early travelers coming up the Niagara River on their way from Lake Ontario to the other Great Lakes, this area - known as the Lower Landing - marked the beginning of the Niagara Portage, the shortest and most accessible route around Niagara . . . — Map (db m66302) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Magazin RoyaleA simple structure with a grand name establishes a permanent French presence at the Lower Landing
Louis Thomas de Joncaire, a French soldier captured and adopted by the Seneca until repatriated in 1694, played an important role for the French as an interpreter and trader. Joncaire and his sons are the French men most commonly associated with the . . . — Map (db m66264) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels
Foundation Day: November 21, 1856. Feast of the Presentation of Mary. Co-Founders: Most Reverend John Timon, C.M. First Bishop of Buffalo; and Reverend John J. Lynch, C.M. First President of SOLA, First Archbishop of Toronto. First Location: St. . . . — Map (db m87903) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Tuscarora Heroes MonumentSkaru:rę? Kayękwatihčayę'hčreh
In honor of the brave members of the Tuscarora Nation who defended and saved local residents during the war of 1812. On the morning of December 19, 1813, Lewsiton was attacked by British forces and their Native allies from Canada. The British had . . . — Map (db m72727) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Tuscaroras Defend Lewiston Against 1813 British AttackWar of 1812
Path of Destruction. Early in the winter of 1813, British forces and their Native allies launched an all-out assault on the Niagara Frontier. About a dozen Lewiston residents were killed in the attack, and the British looted the buildings and . . . — Map (db m80502) HM WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Underground Railroad Station #6
John Tryon was a Lewiston Abolitionist, elder of First Presbyterian Church and a conductor of the Underground Railroad. He helped countless runaway slaves attain their freedom across the Niagara River from a house known as "Tryon's Folly." This . . . — Map (db m82181) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Varsity Village (1939), Timon Hall (1952)
Varsity Village (1939) Built to accommodate students who were then housed in St. Vincent's Hall, these six Tudor-style houses once stood on the bank of a small lake that existed on campus. For many years they were used exclusively by male senior . . . — Map (db m78659) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Welcome to Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park
This 172-acre park is situated below the Niagara Escarpment and the Niagara Gorge, and affords excellent views of the Niagara River and surrounding area. Artpark opened in 1974 as a seasonal outdoor cultural state park, the first in the country to . . . — Map (db m94967) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 4 — “Lockport Flight of Five”
To overcome the great elevation of the Niagara Escarpment, the original canal builders constructed a unique flight of 5 double locks, to lower easterly and raise westerly bound boats some sixty feet. The Erie Canal was constructed in three . . . — Map (db m76938) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 13 — Barge Tie Ups & lock view looking west
When the Barge Canal opened on May 15, 1918, a large steam tug was chartered by the government to tow state boats on the new canal. The wages were based on a monthly scale for a twelve-hour workday and included board. The Captain received $175 per . . . — Map (db m76998) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Big Bridge
Big Bridge. One of the widest bridges in the world; 399 ft. in width, 129 ft. in length. Built 1914. — Map (db m70644) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-224Canal Road
Originally Millards Hwy. Bridge. Built 1910 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 1993 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77554) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-225Day Road
Originally Wakeman's Hwy. Bridge. Built 1909 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 2003 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77553) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Comparisons
To see the comparison table click on the image to the right to enlarge it Sidebar on the right Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Was the third President of the United States. In 1808 a delegation from the state of New York approached . . . — Map (db m76963) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Chase-Crowley-Keep House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81606) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Chase-Hubbard-Williams House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81605) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — City of Lockport Medal of Honor Recipients
City of Lockport Medal of Honor Recipients Michael Huskey, 1st Class Fireman, Civil War 1864 ———— Frank Joseph Gaffney, Pvt. 108th U.S. Infantry, 27th Division, World War I ———— William F. . . . — Map (db m79961) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Col. W. M. Bond House1823
Col. W. M. Bond House 1823 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m79962) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Cold Springs Cemetery
Cold Springs Cemetery. Jesse Hawley, who first advocated building Erie Canal in 1805, is buried here. Friend of DeWitt Clinton. — Map (db m71199) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Dole House
Dole House circa 1845 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m81647) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Donnelly Point
Dedicated to Dudley Donnelly of Lockport. Appointed Colonel of the 28th Regiment, May 18, 1861. Mortally wounded, Battle of Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862. — Map (db m80498) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 6 — Electric Building
Originally built in 1826 for visionary businessman Lyman A. Spalding, the smaller three-story stone building built on this site became the Norman & Evans Iron Foundry. After the building burned in 1840, it was rebuilt several times and enlarged to . . . — Map (db m76996) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — First Lockport Residents Killed in World Wars I and II
Pvt. Joseph F. O'Hearn, 1890 - 1918, World War I. SSgt. William J. Stamp, 1913 - 1943, World War II. To honor the memory of Pvt. Joseph F. O'Hearn and his nephew SSgt. William J. Stamp who were the first Lockport residents to be killed in World . . . — Map (db m77036) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — House at 8 Berkley Drive
House at 8 Berkley Drive circa 1956 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m82729) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Hydraulic Race Control GatesNational Register of Historic Sites, 1974
Site of gates originally constructed in 1858 to control the inflow of water to the Hydraulic Tunnel and used for mechanical power by three manufacturing establishments. The tunnel was closed in 1954, the gate stems were dismantled, and concrete was . . . — Map (db m105704) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 12 — Life on the Barges
Life aboard the canal barges involved hard work. All members of the family had important roles. The man would be in charge of the animals and manage the entire operation. The wife (and mother) had many chores in addition to caring for the household. . . . — Map (db m76893) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 7 — Lock Construction
From the original Erie Canal to the Barge Canal System, crossing the Niagara Escarpment posed immense challenges to canal engineers. The first Lockport locks were designed by Nathan Roberts, who was in charge of constructing the Erie Canal from . . . — Map (db m76954) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — LockportThe Canalway Trail
After the Erie Canal opened in 1825, Lockport changed from a village of log cabins filled with construction workers into an industrial city. English traveler, Francis Trollope describing Lockport said that "It looks as if the demon of machinery, . . . — Map (db m77812) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport Bank
Established 1829. First and only bank in Niagara County until 1837. Used as bank until 1852. — Map (db m71273) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport City Hall(William K. Moore Co. Mill, Holly Water Works)
The city building began as the Pine Street Customs Mill in 1860. It was later (1884) converted to one of the first water pumping stations in America. In 1893, with a need for a permanent location of the city's government, the building was converted . . . — Map (db m78359) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport Federal Building
The Lockport Federal Building is architecturally significant as an outstanding example of early twentieth century public architecture. Built between 1902 and 1904 from a design by James Knox Taylor, supervising architect of the Treasury Department, . . . — Map (db m77000) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport LocksErected August 16, 1975
In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the completion of the original locks which opened a connecting waterway between the Hudson River and the Great Lakes. This completion of the Erie Canal was the opening of a door to the settling of the . . . — Map (db m65659) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 1 — Lockport Municipal Building
The City of Lockport wishes to express its appreciation to City Historian William H. Riley (1922-1990) for his dedication, assistance, patience and love for the City of Lockport, New York. Riley’s Way: a walking tour on the Erie Canal is . . . — Map (db m76962) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport War Memorial
·Dulce·Et·Decorum·Est··Pro·Patria·Mori· Erected·in·memory·of those·who·made·the supreme·sacrifice·and to·all·others·who served·in·the·wars·of the·United·States· — Map (db m77032) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport YWCA Building
In 1835 this building was built by Gillette Bacon and sold in 1837 to Dr. George Merchant and again sold in 1861 to Abijah Moss. During the Civil War the home served as a refuge for slaves from the South. During World War I, it was the headquarters . . . — Map (db m77561) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 10 — Lower Lock Construction
In 1903, the people of New York voted to build the Barge Canal System. The new canal, unlike the old, utilized canalized natural water courses as well as artificial channels. The new concrete locks (57 in all) were electrically operated and could . . . — Map (db m76934) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Luther Haven
Luther Haven has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1891 — Map (db m81570) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Niagara County Courthouse
Niagara County Courthouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m93216) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 5 — Old City Hall
In 1864, Dwight Keep constructed this typical canal era stone structure which began as the Benjamin C. Moore Company Mill. Around 1884, the building was converted from a flour mill to one of the first water pumping plants in America. The Holly Water . . . — Map (db m76994) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 11 — Old Locks West
“The site of the locks at Lockport, from the time of the original canal to the present had never changed. The early engineers found the logical location for locks in this vicinity and the same place has been used ever since. The romance of . . . — Map (db m76892) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Original Niagara Grape Vine
Original Niagara Grape Vine ————— Result of crossing Concord by Cassady 1868 ————— First fruited 1872 ————— Erected by N.Y. State Horticultural . . . — Map (db m82833) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The "Deep Cut" at Lockport
The "Deep Cut" at Lockport Here, only several miles from Lake Erie, Canal engineers faced a major natural barrier. To tap the water of Lake Erie and keep boats afloat, they knew the canal's channel had to flow downhill from the lake. But the . . . — Map (db m93026) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 2 — The “Big Bridge”
The first bridge across the canal in Lockport was located a the extreme eastern end of the Big Bridge. It was a narrow log bridge, only wide enough for one way traffic, with a log on either side for guard rails. Called the “Main Street . . . — Map (db m76955) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Bewley Building
Erected by Richard C. Bewley in 1929 this structure occupies the site of the Hodge Opera House and Merchant's Gargling Oil buildings which were destroyed by fire in 1928. Stone from the original buildings is visible on the rear of the structure. The . . . — Map (db m74133) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Erie Barge Canal at Lockport
The New York State Barge Canal System is 524 miles long of which 348 miles is within the Erie Barge Canal. Although water depths vary, the depth of the water in the Lockport section is approximately 8 - 12 feet.

The Lockport Locks Nos. 34 and . . . — Map (db m74517) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Great American CanalThe Canal System
Different panels appear on opposite sides of the marker The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers . . . — Map (db m76895) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Kandt Home229 Niagara Street, Lockport, NY.
This dwelling was built by Charles A. and Louise Williams Kandt in 1886 and was occupied by four generations of the Kandt family until 1998 when it was purchased by the Niagara County Historical Society. — Map (db m81732) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Lowertown Historic District
Lowertown is in a geographically distinct section of the City of Lockport with such boundaries as the Erie Canal and the Niagara Escarpment. "A village within a city," Lowertown thrived as Lockport's social, commercial and industrial center . . . — Map (db m77030) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Lowertown Historic District
Dr. George W. Merchant, a skilled druggist and businessman, purchased this property in 1833. This then became the first home of Gargling Oil. It was here, after a series of experiments, he brought out a medicine to be used in the treatment of . . . — Map (db m81785) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Sluice and Hall Spillway
Three waterways: Culvert No. 125, the old raceway, and Eighteen Mile Creek, met the canal in this area.

The old raceway entered the canal about 125 feet east of this point and has since been abandoned. It was used to supply the lower level of . . . — Map (db m74791) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Watson House
The Watson House circa 1855 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m81769) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — To Those Who Served
To those who served both God and country — Map (db m93217) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Toll Gate Hill
Toll Gate built and owned by the Lockport - Wrights Corners Plank Road Co. One of three toll roads in Niagara County 1849-1905. — Map (db m71269) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 9 — Tour Boat Then & Now
A packet boat was upwards of 80 feet long, 9 feet wide at is extreme breadth, with 50 feet of cabin space in the center for passengers. This left 10 feet of space in the prow and 20 feet for the steerage deck. The long but narrow cabin was . . . — Map (db m76935) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 8 — Upper Locks View
The canal ride from Rochester to Lockport was some what of a lark. The Long Level, as it was known, was a 63 mile trip uninterrupted by locks. The approach to Lockport, after all, marked the next to last stop in a long, weary trip across the state. . . . — Map (db m76894) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 14 — Upson Park
The Raceway Tunnel was invented by Birdsell Holly. Blasting for the tunnel began in 1858. Construction of the 2,430 foot tunnel took 18 months. The tunnel contains old gates and ruins of buildings from the beginning of the Industrial Age. The cave . . . — Map (db m76936) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — W.H. Upson Coal Company Building
The W.H. Upson Coal Company was founded in 1877. In 1902 Charles A. Upson built this stone building for his father, William Henry Upson, as the company’s offices. In 1910 the building weighing 440 tons, was moved westward 32 feet to make room for . . . — Map (db m77001) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Washington Hunt Law Office
Washington Hunt Law Office, 1835 - 1860. Burned and Rebuilt, 1835. — Map (db m70585) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Welcome to Ida Fritz Park
Welcome to Ida Fritz Park 1908 2001 Historically, Ida Fritz Park is the oldest park in the City of Lockport, created by the NYS Legislature on May 12, 1876. The by-gone fountain was dedicated in 1891. The 7" cannon was presented to Lockport by . . . — Map (db m93231) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Wyndham Lawn
Wyndham Lawn Home for Children was previously summer home of Governor Hunt — Map (db m74524) HM
New York (Niagara County), Middleport — Early ChurchUniversalist Church
Built by Fred Shy in 1841, church members brought cobblestones from Lake Ontario shore by ox carts. Erected July, 1976 — Map (db m73006) HM
New York (Niagara County), Middleport — Early Home
Phillip Freeman Home built circa 1830 reported to have been local "stop" of the "Underground Railway" — Map (db m75947) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Binational Heritage Peace Garden TrailMurphy Orchards Peace Garden — Dedicated June 1, 2012
War of 1812 Battles Were Fought Upon the Land of This Farm Arriving in 1807, James McClew was among the first handful of non-Native American settlers to come to this area. Only a few pioneers had settled in what is now the Town of Newfane . . . — Map (db m78683) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — First Baptist Church
Founded May 29, 1829 Oldest church in the hamlet of Newfane Cobblestone building erected 1843 — Map (db m77841) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Home of James Van Horn
Built in 1823. First Brick House built in the Town of Newfane. Site of first town meeting April 6, 1824. — Map (db m73240) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — In Memory of Those Who for Their Splendid Spirit of Duty
1914 World War 1918 This tablet erected by Newfane Post 873 In memory of those who for their splendid spirit of duty and patriotism were chosen from this township to serve the Allied cause Aiken, Bryan · Allen, Frank · Andrews, Fred D.· . . . — Map (db m83065) WM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Kiddie Whistle Pig Ferris Wheel
Kiddie Whistle Pig Ferris Wheel This ferris wheel was operated at Page's Whistle Pig in Niagara Falls from 1973 until the Olcott Beach Carousel Park Committee purchased it in 2007. The restoration committee for Olcott Beach Carousel Park . . . — Map (db m95274) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — McClew FarmAn Underground Railroad Safe House — Cultural Heritage - Routes to freedom passed through many Seaway Trail communities
Not Underground, Not a Railroad Freedom seekers used whatever means available to make their journey. Some stowed away on canal boats and lake steamers. Some were transported hidden in wagons. Usually, however, they simply traveled on foot, . . . — Map (db m78802) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Olcott Amusement Park
Olcott Amusement Park In the early 1950s the Olcott Amusement Park was a prime destination for both adults and children. This map shows how the Olcott Amusement Park (Olcott Beach Carousel Park) looked at the time. [left margin] Ontario Street . . . — Map (db m95262) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Olcott BeachA Lakeside Resort
Where Families Came to Play Once a prime recreation destination, Olcott Beach drew thousands annually. Trains brought summer vacationers from inland cities. Steamers ferried them between other lake ports. They stayed at grand hotels, played at . . . — Map (db m73863) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — One Country and One Flag
[front]S.B. Kemp Post, No. 108, G.A.R., of Olcott.[21 names] One country and one flag. With malice toward none and charity for all. Whatever we wish to see introduced into the life of a nation must first be introduced into its schools. . . . — Map (db m83040) WM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Roller Mill
Roller Mill 200 feet from here. Built in 1835 by Hon. George R. Davis of Troy, N. Y. — Map (db m81770) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Site of Stone Marking the Northernmost Point of the Transit Surveyed by Joseph Ellicott
Site of Stone Marking the Northernmost Point of the Transit Surveyed by Joseph Ellicott c. 1800 for the Holland Land Company. — Map (db m72264) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Tom Kelly Rustic Theatre
Tom Kelly Rustic Theatre Tom Kelly was an integral part of Olcott Beach Carousel Park. He was part of the original Olcott Beach Committee formed in 1999, project manager for the roundhouse restoration, on the board of directors, treasurer for six . . . — Map (db m95272) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — A Bridge to Freedom"There was now but 'one wide river to cross'..."
A Bridge to Freedom "There was now but 'one wide river to cross'..." In the 1800s, Western New York was one of the main ending points of the Underground Railroad. This "railroad" was a secret system of people and places that helped . . . — Map (db m93027) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Bridges of NiagaraInternational Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Since 1848 many bridges have spanned the Niagara Gorge below Niagara Falls. The design and construction of these bridges was necessary for the economic development of the Niagara Falls area. The demand for safe and convenient crossings was easily . . . — Map (db m72386) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Challenging the Whirlpool Rapids
The Whirlpool Rapids provided the ideal location for daredevils to pursue their riskly feats during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They challenged these raging waters by swimming, riding in barrels, and navigating boats through them; some . . . — Map (db m74415) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Eddy BasinWhirlpool Scenic Overlook Trail
The wide point of the river at this spot is called the "Eddy Basin".

If you look over the edge you will see an extensive shelf of Whirlpool Sandstone at river level. This was covered by water prior to the large water diversions for . . . — Map (db m74477) HM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — First Presbyterian Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m101936) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Fort SchlosserGuarding the Upper Landing
Great Lakes Seaway Trail. New York State French and Indian War Commemoration 250 years. Securing Military and Commercial Goods. Fort Schlosser was built to protect the upper portage landing and was used as a storehouse for military and . . . — Map (db m72889) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Gad Pierce Tavern
Gad Pierce Tavern. Site of 1807 tavern built by Gad Pierce. US Militia delayed a British and Indian attack here on Dec 20, 1813 and escaped thru back door. Tavern rebuilt after war. — Map (db m70968) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Goat Island
Goat Island is made up of dolostone bedrock covered with glacial deposits. For thousands of years, these deposits lay under deep lake and river waters. About 3,500 years ago, the water level of the Upper Niagara began to drop, eventually exposing . . . — Map (db m74166) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Goat Island Flora
Goat Island's plants grow so well because of the constant moisture in the atmosphere and the deep, rich soil. the moisture protects the plants from late spring frosts, and the soil allows for greater root penetration and nutrition. In the . . . — Map (db m75969) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Great Gorge Railway TrailNiagara Gorge Trail System — Suspension Bridge Interpretive Area
Gorge Trail 4·Great Gorge Railway.(1.1mi, 1.8km) The Niagara Gorge Trail System is made up of a series of trail sections located in and along the Niagara River Gorge. Two of these trails are located along the top: the Niagara Gorge Rim Trail . . . — Map (db m82800) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Height, Sight, and Flight / The Niagara River Corridor Important Bird Area
Height, Sight, and Flight. Each year between 100 million and one billion birds die by collision with human-built structures. The danger of colliding with windows has increased for birds with the spread of urbanization and the decline of . . . — Map (db m77044) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Hennepin View
Near this spot stood Father Louis Hennepin Franciscan Missionary and Chronicler of La Salle's Expedition 1678 - 9 He was the first to preach the gospel on the Niagara frontier and the first white man who saw and described the falls of Niagara. . . . — Map (db m8957) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Historic Falls PortageUnder Four Nations
Portage Road, constructed on an old Indian trail, was used to transport goods around the falls from the Lewiston Landing to Fort Schlosser on the upper river. It held the key to governing the entire Great Lakes area and the . . . — Map (db m54345) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — In Honor of the Soldiers, Sailors & MarinesWho Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War — 1917 - 1919
In honor of the soldiers, sailors & marines who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War, 1917 - 1919. [plaque above] Dedicated to World War II Veterans. Presented by Dudley Donnelly Woman's Relief Corps. No. 115, auxiliary to the . . . — Map (db m77109) WM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — La Salle Built the Griffon
Hereabout in May, 1679 Robert Cavelier de La Salle Built the Griffon, "of sixty tons burthen," the first vessel to sail the Upper Lakes. ————— Erected by Niagara Frontier Historical Society . . . — Map (db m57137) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Luna Island
Located between the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls, this island was named in the 19th century for the beautiful moonlit rainbows visitors could see here on nights when the moon is full or near full. Caused by the mist from the falls, these . . . — Map (db m87899) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara County Medal of Honor Monument
In memory of all Americans in the armed forces who sacrificed their lives in a time of need to preserve the freedom of this great nation.

The American Legion, Department of New York, Niagara County Committee, October 11, 1986.

Korean . . . — Map (db m78993) WM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Medal of Honor Memorial
(front) One crowded hour of glory is worth an age without a name World War II T. Sgt. Bernard P. Bell Co. I, 142nd Inf. Regt. 36th Inf. Division Vietnam 2nd Lt. John Paul Bobo Co. I, 3rd Battalion 9th . . . — Map (db m77088) WM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Veterans Memorial
[centerpiece][front] The names you see enshrined here are not those of timid men but rather those who gave [right side] their lives for freedom ★ "It is foolish and wrong [rear] to mourn the men who died rather we should thank God that such . . . — Map (db m86660) WM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara Gorge Important Bird Area
The Important Bird Area (IBA) program began in Europe around 1985. The United States and Canada entered into the program in 1996. Since then, over 2,000 areas have been identified in both countries with 127 of them located in New York State as of . . . — Map (db m75639) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara Gorge Industrial Heritage
The Niagara Gorge and the power of the Niagara River were essential to the rise of Niagara Falls industry in the late 19th century. Machines and turbines could be run cheaply and efficiently utilizing the vast amounts of hydropower produced here. . . . — Map (db m79883) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara Gorge Natural History
Towards the end of the Ice Age, melt water from retreating glaciers filled in deep depressions, forming the Great Lakes. These lakes drained north over the Niagara Escarpment, and the Niagara River eroded the gorge to its present location. Today, . . . — Map (db m74672) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara's Industrial Beginnings and the Establishment of the State Reservation
In 1805, New York State sold the land around the falls, and mills and other businesses that used the Niagara river for power were established. These industries provided the local community with needed services, helping the area to prosper. When the . . . — Map (db m75345) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Nik Wallenda & Niagara — Photo by James P. McCoy, 2012
On June 12, 2012, before thousands of spectators gathered here at Terrapin Point and millions watching around the world, famed aerialist Nik Wallenda stepped onto a 2 inch thick steel cable, walked 1500 feet across Niagara Falls and the Niagara . . . — Map (db m75177) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Nikola Tesla
Nikola Tesla Inventor July 10, 1850 Smiljan Yugoslavia - January 7, 1943 New York — Map (db m75146)
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Oakwood Cemetery
Oakwood Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m98514) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Old Blockhouse
Here stood one of a line of blockhouses built 1764 by Montresor to protect the Army of Bradstreet from Indian massacres on march — Map (db m54363) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Old Stone Chimney
Built by French 1750, 100 ft. westward in Fort Little Niagara's barracks which they burned in 1759. To it British built in 1761, the Stedman House (where that master of the portage lived until U.S. occupation in 1796), which in 1808, became . . . — Map (db m70254) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Park Place Historic District
District Description: The structures comprising Park Place Historic District illustrate architecture from four periods of residential development spanning a nearly 100-year period in Niagara Falls, New York. 1. Mid-19th Century Workman's . . . — Map (db m80142) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Portage Road
An Indian Trail used before white men settled in America. Highway for French fur trade. Later improved by British as Military Road. — Map (db m54359) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Portage RoadCarry Route Around the Falls — Cultural Heritage
Following the Footsteps of the Famous Along this very road Native Americans, explorers, traders, and soldiers passed for centuries to get around the Niagara Falls and Gorge. Merchants cashed in on trade goods, troops fought for safe . . . — Map (db m54365) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Prospect Point Viewing AreaNiagara in Winter
Ice from Lake Erie flows over the falls and jams up the gorge below. An ice bridge is an accumulation of ice, which has frozen solid from shore to shore, and under which the river still flows.

In the past, the American Falls and Bridal Veil . . . — Map (db m93036)

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America Dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a Pledge of everlasting Fidelity and . . . — Map (db m80143) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Site of First HouseBuilt by Judge Porter in 1808
Built by Judge Porter in 1808. Many notable visitors and friendly Indians were received within its walls. — Map (db m70752) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Buttery ElevatorsThe Passing of a 19th-Century Landmark
The public accessed the Whirlpool Rapids via a rickety stairway at an old saw mill that was purchased by John M. Buttery in the 1850s. When the site became a popular tourist destination, Buttery abandoned the mill and built a safer stairway into the . . . — Map (db m75205) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Carnegie Building1022 Main Street — Niagara Falls • Department of Community Development
Erected in 1902, this was originally the Library, one of over 2,500 public libraries donated by Andrew Carnegie to communities across America. This great man donated over $350 million of his fortune to various causes incl. this at Niagara. Renovated . . . — Map (db m86558) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Falls View Bridges
The first international bridge built near the falls was known as the Upper Suspension or New Suspension Bridge. When it was opened in 1869 with a 1,260-foot (384-meter) span, it was the longest suspension bridge ever constructed. The bridge was . . . — Map (db m71524) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The First People to See the Falls
The first people to see Niagara Falls were probably nomadic hunters and gatherers who left behind evidence of their short-term camps and work areas in the form of tools and weapons. The Neutrals, known for their peaceful nature, followed, building . . . — Map (db m77043) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Great Cataract of NiagaraAn attraction even in wartime
Early European Visitors The Niagara River, with its mighty falls and rapids, was well known by Native Americans. Word of its majesty reached European explorers and soldiers who came to North America. Despite their mission, explorers and . . . — Map (db m72940) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Great Gorge RouteThe Most Scenic Ride
The Great Gorge Route (1895-1935) once offered spectacular trolley rides through the Niagara Gorge. Initially, the route ran from Niagara Falls to Lewiston, NY. After the Lewiston-Queenston Suspension Bridge opened in 1899, however, the line . . . — Map (db m75312) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Grounds of this Canal
The Grounds of this Canal were donated by the Heirs of the late Hon. Augustus Porter & Gen. Peter B. Porter. 1852. In pursuance of their original design for Hydraulic purposes the work was commenced in 1853 by a Company which failed & the Title . . . — Map (db m93039) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Most Combat Decorated World War II Soldier
In 1980, Lt. Col. Matt Urban, Aug. 25, 1919 [-] March 4, 1995, the most combat decorated World War II soldier, received the Congressional Medal of Honor, three silver stars, five bronze stars, purple heart with 7 oak leaf clusters, from President . . . — Map (db m77108) WM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Niagara Portage
The Niagara Portage. For thousands of years the seven-mile-long Niagara Portage linked Lake Ontario to Lake Erie by providing travelers with a land route around Niagara Falls. The portage trail ran from the Upper Landing, 1.5 miles above the falls . . . — Map (db m87918) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Niagara River Portage and the Old Stone Chimney
In 1915, Peter A. Porter calls the Old Stone Chimney, "the oldest masonry in the State of New York, west of Albany," with the exception of the French Castle at Old Fort Niagara.

The Portage Rivers are great for easily moving people and . . . — Map (db m96612) HM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Parting of the Waters
Here, the upper Niagara River divides into two channels. To the left of the river becomes the American Rapids. To the right, the other 90% becomes the Horseshoe Rapids. In the distance are Grand Island and Navy Island, the two largest islands in the . . . — Map (db m87915) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Power of Niagara
Millions of people have been drawn to the falls over the years; some dreamed of harnessing the waters for power to run mills, factories, and power plants.

In 1757, Daniel Joncaire built a sawmill along the upper Niagara River to cut lumber for . . . — Map (db m74315) HM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Power of the American Rapids
The American Rapids begin at the upstream end of Goat Island. From there, they drop about 50 feet (15 meters) in elevation to the brink of the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. Although no more than a few feet deep, these swift rapids are . . . — Map (db m87887) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Thomas V. WelchMansion Est. 1883
Founder of the Free Niagara Movement, he helped to preserve Niagara Falls in its natural beauty for the world and make it the first state park in the U.S. in 1885. — Map (db m87900) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Three Sisters Islands
These picturesque islands have also been known as the "Moss Islands" because fine growths of moss once covered their rocks. The smooth surfaces of the rocks and the great number of potholes are clues that these islands were once submerged . . . — Map (db m75986) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — To The RiverA new stairway with incredible scenery
To The River A new stairway with incredible scenery These new stairs leading to the Great Gorge Railway Trail at the river's edge were completed in 2012 by expert trail builders hired by the New York Power Authority and New York State . . . — Map (db m93028) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Town of Niagara Civil War Memorial
(panel 1) 10th New York Cavalry Lt. Edward S. Hawes killed at Upperville, Va. June 21, 1863 John Barr killed at Sulphur Springs, Va. Aug. 1862 Robert Burns wounded at Brandy Station, Va. Died Niag. Falls 1867 Sylvester Cesbrough . . . — Map (db m75180) WM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Tragedy at Devil's Hole / Natural History of Devil's HoleThe Devil's Hole Massacre
Tragedy at Devil's Hole Pontiac's Rebellion The British victory in the French and Indian War (1754-1763) resulted in an uprising under Pontiac, an Ottawa leader, against the British presence in the Upper Great Lakes region. The Niagara Portage . . . — Map (db m74792) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Welcome to Whirlpool State Park
Established in 1928, Whirlpool State Park's 109 acres support a variety of flora and fauna and provide opportunities for cycling, fishing, hiking bird watching, and picnicking. Approximately three miles of hiking trails include a rim trail with many . . . — Map (db m74797) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Whirlpool Rapids — Whirlpool Scenic Overlook Trail
The violent waters of the Whirlpool Rapids flow into the Eddy Basin before entering the Whirlpool.

A major change took place here about 7,000 years ago, when water volume was low. The connection between Lake Huron and Lake Erie was cut off and . . . — Map (db m74798) HM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Whitney Mansion
Whitney Mansion Built c. 1837 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United Stated . . . — Map (db m93050) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — World's First Hydroelectric Power Plant
This is the original arch entrance to the Adams Station, the world's first hydroelectric power plant. Electric power, its transmission in commercial quantities to remote distances, the design and building of the first large electrical equipment- all . . . — Map (db m74275) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station — Douglas C-47 "Skytrain"
This C-47, also affectionately known as a "Gooney Bird", represents the History and Mission of the 914th Airlift Wing and the 328th Airlift Squadron. It is displayed in the markings of the 3rd Combat Cargo Squadron. The 3rd CCS pioneered . . . — Map (db m75928) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station — Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar"
This cold war transport entered the Air Force inventory in 1949, its nickname referring to its blocky fuselage and cargo carrying capability. The C-119F displayed here (serial #22105) was built in 1953 by Fairchild Aircraft in Hagerstown, MD. It . . . — Map (db m75901) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station — The C-119G "Flying Boxcar"
The venerable C-119, developed after World War II by Fairchild Aircraft Corporation, carried cargo, personnel, litter patients and mechanized equipment, and dropped cargo and troops by parachute. The first C-119 flew in November 1947. By the . . . — Map (db m75929) HM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — Combat Wounded VeteransMilitary Order of the Purple Heart — 1782-1932
My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country's way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, for he to-day that sheds his blood . . . — Map (db m80286) WM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — Dedicated to the Memory of Those Who Made the Greatest Sacrifice
Dedicated to the memory of those who made the greatest sacrifice in Vietnam [10 names] — Map (db m80164) WM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — First Schoolhouse
First Schoolhouse In 1837 on this site donated by James and John Sweeney, the first schoolhouse in N. Tonawanda was erected — Map (db m80191) HM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — Herschell-Spillman Steam Boiler
In 1872 the Armitage-Herschell Company established itself as an iron foundry in North Tonawanda. The Armitage-Herschell foundry forged iron farm equipment, storm sewer grates, and many other implements. Among the others, was the steam boiler which . . . — Map (db m75520) HM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — In Memory of Joseph E. Darlak, SKIc
In memory of beloved husband Joseph E. Darlak, SKIc, 30th Naval Construction Battalion, World War II. — Map (db m80496) WM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — In Memory of Stephan Butski, U.S.M.C.
In memory of Nancy Skrlin and her father, Stephan Butski, U.S.M.C., who gave his life on Iwo Jima W.W.II. S/S Bee made and donated by Skrlin Coating and Blasting, Ltd., Niagara Falls, NY [lower plaque] Island X-8 honors RADM James C. Doebler . . . — Map (db m80497) WM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — Lumber Port
In the late 19th century this area was the largest lumber port in the world — Map (db m58914) HM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — North TonawandaThe Home of the Civil War's Most Famous Army Scout — Col. Lewis S. Payne
North Tonawanda The home of the Civil War's most famous army scout Col. Lewis S. Payne 1819-1898 In grateful remembrance Company D, "Eagle" regiment N.Y. Volunteers, "Reactivated" — Map (db m80190) WM

299 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 99
Paid Advertisement