Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saratoga County New York Historical Markers

404 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 204
 
1772 House image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, January 23, 2019
1772 House
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — 1772 House
Built by Eliphalet Kellogg had settlers' baking ovens Indians captured children and tortured them. Kellogg was Revolutionary Patriot. — Map (db m129051) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — 1780 Invasion
Home of Tyrannis Collins, militia captain under Gordon, raided by British & Indians. North of here all rebel men captured & houses burned — Map (db m127153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Angus McDearmid
Banished from Scotland. British and Indians visited on eve of 1780 invasion. Angus saw demon apparition, hence Devil’s Lane - 1786. — Map (db m127421) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Ballston Site Of
Site Of Rev. Ball's Log Church-1771 Ballston Town Commons-1774 Stockaded Fort-1775 Red Meeting House-1780 Ballston Academy-1804 — Map (db m92682) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Beriah Palmer
Site of Home Beriah Palmer Supervisor Ballston 1790-01 Member of Assembly 1793-95 Member of Congress 1803-05 Surrogate Saratoga County 1808-12 — Map (db m92683) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Briggs Cemetery
Founder Rev. Eliphalet Ball, Patriots James Cordon, Samuel McCrea, Michael Middlebrook, Godrge Scott, Lemuel Wilcox, Col Gregory — Map (db m127136) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Calvary Episcopal Church
Founded By Dr. Edward Davis May 7, 1849. First Service In This Building Was Christmas Eve, 1849. — Map (db m92737) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Christ Episcopal Church
Site of first Episcopal church in Saratoga County. Erected 1792, removed to Ballston Spa 1817 — Map (db m127386) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — E. Hubbell 1831
Late Federal style home of Edmond Hubbell and Mary Hubbell. Mr. Hubbell operated a woolen cloth manufactory on the Mourning Kill until ca. 1850 — Map (db m127128) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Edmund Jennings
Built log cabin here 1775. Revolutionary War patriot fought at Bemis Heights Brick front built c. 1820 Later owned by Robert Speir. — Map (db m127404) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Eliphalet Ball1722-1797 — Site of original home —
Founder, Ballston, 1770. Established first real settlement in Ballston — Map (db m127124) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Hawkwood MansionThe Early Years
The foundation at which you are now standing was probably built in the 1790's as the basis for a mansion owned by Henry Walton. We have no pictures of the original building but can assume it looked somewhat like this picture from the late 1800's. . . . — Map (db m134003) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Hawkwood MansionThe Later Years
Top Left This is an undated picture from the collection of the Theuner family. They owned the property for a short time in the 1920's. Note the porch lanterns, probably fueled by acetylene. This was the first house in town to have working . . . — Map (db m134007) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Home of Samuel Young
Member of Assembly 1814 Speaker of Assembly 1815 State Senator 1819, 33, 34, 35, 45, 47 Candidate for Governor of N.Y. 1825. Died here 1850 — Map (db m127130) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Inn of William Bettys
This Building Was A Public Inn During the Revolution. William Bettys, Proprietor — Map (db m92679) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — James Gordon

Home of James Gordon Colonel Revolutionary War Member of Assembly, State Senator First Supervisor Town Ballston Member of Congress Washington visited here 1783 — Map (db m127216) HM

New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — John Clinton
1721-1785 bought 900 acres here 1772, some underwater He & John Jr.were militiamen fought at Saratoga. Son married Mary Scribner 1773 — Map (db m129053) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Kingsley Inn
Established 1795 By William Kingsley Tavern On Stagecoach Route Halfway Between Ballston Spa And Schenectady — Map (db m92738) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Larkin House
Built On Indian Trail In Late 1700's. Larkin Family Farm For Generations. Road Paved By Prisoners From Comstock Prison in the 1930's. — Map (db m92740) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Larkins Corners
Farms of Uriah Gregory, S. Sears & Nathaniel Booth - Daniel Larkin. Near here Davis Cheese factory and original Curtis Lumber Co. — Map (db m130151) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — McDonalds Site
At Shore of Ballston Lake ½ Mile From This Spot Brothers Michael And Nicholas McDonald Built Log Cabin in 1763. — Map (db m92680) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Pioneer Farm
Built c. 1780 on edge of deep forest. Owned by John & Lucy Tibbets. Often visited by Indians. Later abandoned & used for potato storage. — Map (db m129239) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Scribner Home
Zaccheus Scribner settled 1773. Sons Aaron and Thadeus served in the militia. Thadeus was Ballston's 1st mail carrier — Map (db m129035) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Stephen White
Settled Here-1771. Served As Cpt. in Militia. Taken By British. Wife, Phebe Was Town Midwife. House Was Social Center. He Died 1793. — Map (db m92681) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Stevens School
Built in 1916 For Burnt Hills Ballston Lake 1st Consolidated And 2nd Centralized District In New York State — Map (db m92726) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Trip-Hammer
Site of water-powered forge shop and residence of Sylvester Blood (1785-1866) and wife, Loretta. Shop made scythes and axes until 1825 — Map (db m127127) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Waterman House
Home of Asa Waterman- Revolutionary War officer. He captured Tories and fought at Bemis Heights. Family farm for generations. — Map (db m39490) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — East Line Union Cemetery
Oldest recorded grave 1785. Graves of 20 Revolutionary War veterans including Gen. Samuel Clark, elected first Supervisor of Town of Malta — Map (db m129006) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — 554 — Kayaderosseras
Vast land patent issued 1708 by Queen Anne included this area. Boundary dispute with Iroquois Nation resolved 1768. Settlement began nearby 1771. — Map (db m135376) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — Schauber House
1806 Federal home of David (1773-1843) and Maphlet Schauber and their 12 children. — Map (db m129108) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Ballston Center
Samuel Southard Tavern - early graveyard - post office -blacksmith shop - stores. George Washington rode through in 1783 — Map (db m127035) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Ballston Church
Congregation formed 1771 by Rev. Eliphalet Ball. Fourth house of worship built 1859. Church burned in Oct 1993 Steeple saved. Rebuilt to the glory of God in 1994 — Map (db m127033) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Birthplace of Abner Doubleday
Birthplace Major-Gen Abner Doubleday Ballston Spa June 26 1819 Founder of Baseball 1839 A Civil War Hero at Battle of Gettysburg 1863 — Map (db m65261) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Captain Abner Doubleday
Captain Abner Doubleday Major General, United States Army Born on June 26, 1819 in Ballston Spa, N.Y. he resided in his childhood at a home located at the corner of Washington and Fenwick, a few blocks from here. He attended . . . — Map (db m64584) HM WM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Colonial Inn
This building erected in 1797 was for many years a public tavern — Map (db m127040) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — County Seat
The county seat moved from Ballston Center to Ballston Spa in 1817. This county complex was dedicated on 9/21/1968. — Map (db m127528) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Dunning Street Common
Given by Michael Dunning. Parade ground for militia training in the Revolution. Preserved as village green for grazing, horse races and other town festivities. — Map (db m129066) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — East Line
An early community ca. 1780 shared by Malta & Ballston Townships. ME. church built 1809. Nearby was a hotel, a tavern, by 1837 a R.R. stop — Map (db m127123) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Here in 1800 / Here in 1900
Here in 1800 A Bathing Green, Bath House And Mineral Spring Were Used By Visitors From Six Boarding Houses and Five Private Summer Homes. Here In 1900 Shoppers Going to Front St. And Workers Walking Through The Tunnel . . . — Map (db m65729) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Home of George Scott
Settled here 1774. British and Indians attacked 1780. Scott was tomahawked and house was pillaged. He died in 1785. — Map (db m127527) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Home of Jonathan Filer
Partially burned in Ballston invasion of 1780. Braided Indian torch found here. Family escaped and hid nearby. — Map (db m128984) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — McCrea Hill
Brothers James, Sam, & Wm. McCrea built near here 1771. James and Sam fought for Rev. War. Wm. sided with British. Sister Jane martyred 1777. — Map (db m127211) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Riley-Allen Cobblestone House
C.1830. Type of structure rare in this area. Owned by Philip Riley & heirs 1857- 1971. Home of Robert R. and Melinda A. Allen since 1974. — Map (db m129060) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Samuel Davis MD
Born 1765 - Died 1840 Practiced medicine from here for 50 years. House was a station on the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m127073) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Site of
First courthouse and jail of Saratoga County. Erected 1796 destroyed by fire, 1816 — Map (db m127070) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Barkersville — BarkersvilleChristian Church
Founded May 3rd 1845 Land donated by the Barker and Carpentier families — Map (db m131063) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Barkersville — Barkersville
Originally Barker's Hollow settled in 1796 by David & Samuel Barker, who established several waterpowered saw & grist mills, a tannery & shoe shop on this site. — Map (db m131132) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Batchellerville — Great Sacandaga Lake
Great Sacandaga Lake Created in 1930 as the Sacandaga Reservoir. Ten communities were lost or partially lost to the rising waters. — Map (db m131535) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Batchellerville — S. Batcheller Home
Built 1820's by Lumber Businessman Sherman Batcheller. Later owned by Lucian Degolia owner of large washboard and woodenware shop in back. — Map (db m45746) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Bemis Heights — NY-15 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9792) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Bettys Family
Joseph died 1804 and Abigail died 1791 local innkeepers and unfortunate parents of Joseph, convicted traitor & spy who was hung in 1782 — Map (db m128976) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Burnt Hills Baptist Church
Founded 1783. Present church built 1839. Hillside Cemetery adjoining. 1st burial 1782. — Map (db m127529) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Centennial Barn
Built by barn raising in 1900 on C. Van Vorst Farm. Later run by David Garrison. Origin of BH-BL Rotary-1950. Known as Laur Lin Dee Farm. — Map (db m129241) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historic District Boundary. Jesse Conde Settled here in 1774 — Map (db m126739) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton
Est. 1792 Historic District Boundary William Clark settled here 1786 — Map (db m126740) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historical District Boundary. Eli Northrup settled here in 1785 — Map (db m126741) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historic District Boundary. Dr. William Mead settled here in 1794 — Map (db m126742) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historic District Boundary. Thomas Brown settled here in 1786 — Map (db m127726) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton Academy
Founded 1859, by Rev. James Crocker, destroyed by fire April 1948. Donated by Charlton Grange — Map (db m126385) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton Museum
St. Paul's Episopal Church Built 1804 Dist#8 School 1859-1948 Charlton Historical Society First Meeting Jan 17, 1966 — Map (db m126743) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Conde CreekSawmill Site
Here 1800 stood a sawmill built and operated by Simon I. Van Patten — Map (db m126934) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Gonzalez Home
Here, in 1782, Joseph Gonzalez and son Emanuel were killed and scalped by St. Regis Indians. His son John was taken captive. — Map (db m131240) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Harmony Corners
School District #9 - 1865-1962 Harmony Hall built 1892 by Patrons of Industry Farmers Club organized 1903 Harmony Community Center 1989 — Map (db m126929) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Jeremiah Smith Cemetery
Earliest recorded Burial: Elisha Hawley - Born 1780 Died 1797. This plot of ground set aside as a burial ground by Jeremiah Smith from his farm (small lot #4, 200 acres of the 5,000 acre tract). Smith purchased this land on November 3, 1774 of the . . . — Map (db m126542) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — John W. Taylor
Birthplace of John W. Taylor Mar. 1784 -Sept. 1854 Twice Speaker -U.S. House of Representatives N.Y. Senator-Assemblyman. — Map (db m126728) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — 475 — Pine Grove
Burials from 1776. Incorp. 1848. Some stones relocated from Presbyterian Church 1878. Revolutionary War, Civil War, other veterans buried here. — Map (db m126835) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Presbyterian Church
Organized Jan 3, 1788 by settlers from Freehold Monmouth Co. New Jersey. Present Edifice built 1852-53 — Map (db m126733) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Scotch Church
Presbyterian church founded by Scottish settlers - 1792. Present Victorian-Gothic structure dedicated in 1881. Cemetery established 1778. National Historic Site 1998Map (db m62717) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Scotch Street
Scottish settlement 1775 cemetery 1778, church 1792 farms, School #2, blacksmith cooper, ice harvesting, store sawmill, telephone exchange — Map (db m126928) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Slab Troy
5,000 acre tract once a hamlet of mills & trades located on the Alplaus Kill. Little Troy School Dist. #7 New Stage Road bridge 1967 — Map (db m126945) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Stage Run1802-1843
Jerome Farm near this road. Birthplace of Isaac Jerome, great grandfather of Sir Winston Churchill. October 26, 1786 — Map (db m126544) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — The Charlton School
Founded 1895 by John S. Hawley as the Charlton Industrial Farm School for Troubled Boys. Burned April 2, 1938. Rebuilt for young women in 1955. — Map (db m126841) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Asa Clark Housec. 1845
Gothic Revival home built by Asa and Eliza Clark. — Map (db m136454) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Best House
1815 Federal Home of Abraham Best Family From Claverack, Columbia County, N.Y. He Died in 1871 at age 81. — Map (db m34759) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Church c. 1795
Site of Clifton Park Dutch Reformed Church. Referred to as “North Church.” Sold in 1862 and dismantled. — Map (db m136451) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Church, c. 1788
Site of Grooms Church. Mother of Methodist Churches in area. 3rd bldg on site built 1834. Used until 1960, burned 1975. — Map (db m136455) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park
This hamlet was a major stopping point on the plank road between Waterford and Ballston Spa during the 19th Century — Map (db m127315) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park Center
Area named to distinguish it from Clifton Park Village. Geographical center of town. — Map (db m136452) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park Center Baptist Church
Church, C. 1830 Clifton Park Center Baptist Church Formed 1794 By Abijah Peck, Whose Home Is Located Across The Road. — Map (db m117280) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park Village HotelStevens’ Tavern
Constructed circa 1821 by Ephraim Stevens. 1859 owned by Isaac Rogers. — Map (db m127318) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clutes Dry Dock
Volvyder's Dry Dock, 1825. Re-established by Nicholas Clute, 1852. Canal boats built and repaired here. Settlement abandoned 1907. — Map (db m49876) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Erie Canal
Canal Dug in 1822 and enlarged in 1842. Remains of both canals are evident. Opened from Albany to Buffalo, 1825. — Map (db m12059) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Hotel c. 1790
Stop on Plank Road Turnpike from Waterford to Jonesville and Ballston Spa. Served as court house, jail and dance hall — Map (db m136089) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Hotel Site
Site of hotel built byJames Jones, c. 1820 destroyed by fire in 1915.Stage coach stop on plank road - Waterford Turnpike — Map (db m129004) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Irish House
C. 1795 home of Abner Irish family from Armenia, Dutchess County, N.Y. He died in 1825 at age 77. — Map (db m136444) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Jonesville Academy 1836-76
Private Boarding School Offering an Academic, Commercial, Classical and "Ornamental" Education. 181 Students in 1852. — Map (db m70265) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — L Garnsey House
c. 1830 home of Levi Garnsey family. Sold to Barney Caldwell in 1868, and still owned and farmed by desc. in 1995 — Map (db m125399) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Peck House
C. 1807 Home Of Abijah Peck (1758-1848) Founder And First Pastor Of Clifton Park Center Baptist Church — Map (db m117451) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Shopmyer House
1948 Tudor style house built near site of Thompson Home, a free black family possibly involved in the underground railroad — Map (db m136459) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — This is the Way NorthHistoric New York
          Since pre-historic times, this route has served Indian hunting and war parties as they traveled between the north country and the southern region of New York State. This area was once considered the key to domination of Colonial North . . . — Map (db m56853) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Turnpike
Route of Saratoga Turnpike from Waterford to Ballston and Saratoga c. 1829. A private road paved with wood planks in 1849. — Map (db m127277) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Corinth — In Memory
"In memory of those who have fallen so that we may be free" — Map (db m131752) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Day — “Hi-N-Dri”
At Brooks Bay, home of Ira “Adirondack Ike” Gray 1886-1982 noted woodsman, author community-minded individual Town of DayMap (db m137935) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Day — Conklingville Cemetery
Created 1924. There Were 381 Graves Reinterred From 7 Area Cemeteries Due To The Flooding Of The Sacandaga Valley — Map (db m97403) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Barker's Store
Built in 1847 by John Barker. Operated Continuously As A Store Until 1945. Believed To Have Been A Stop On The Underground Railroad. — Map (db m57384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Batchellerville
On this site was located the historic village of Batchellerville inundated in 1930 by the Sacandaga reservoir. — Map (db m67783) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — 389 — Batchellerville Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1867, Moved To Present Site 1930 To Escape Rising Waters Of Sacandaga Reservoir. — Map (db m122295) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Beecher Hollow
Historic hamlet settled in 1790's along the banks of Beecher Creek — Map (db m136286) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Beecher Hollow
Methodist Church built in 1836 due to strong influence of early Beecher Hollow settler Jesse Barker II a Revolutionary War Veteran. — Map (db m137938) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Building the Batchellerville Bridge1929 - 1930
Contract 14 Contract 14 provided for the construction of a cantilever type steel bridge over the Sacandaga Reservoir at Batchellerville, N.Y., consisting of nineteen spans of 150 feet and two of 112 1/2 feet, including the construction of . . . — Map (db m129394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Carriage Shop
Erected Prior to 1828, Arad & Leonard Copeland operated the water - powered shop. In 1884 converted to machine shop by John W. Latcher. — Map (db m20857) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Covered Bridge
Built by Arad Copeland below Beecher Falls in 1879. Only NYS Queenpost Truss Bridge. Placed on NYS and National Register in 1998 — Map (db m35154) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Early Settler
Soldier - Patriot and One of the Last Revolutionary War Pensioners in the U.S. Samuel Downing 1761 - 1867 Grave Site Stone Arabia and Saratoga SARMap (db m129395) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Old Country Store
Built 1875 on west side Main St. opp. Fox Hill Rd. by Faulkner Noyes and Charles Wait. At times a post office. Moved to its present site c. 1929. — Map (db m68324) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Rural Museum
Town of Edinburg acquired-1930. Used as highway barn until 1974 Converted to rural museum-1991. Operated by Historical Society. Time capsule buried-2001. — Map (db m136296) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Tennantville
Site of Woodenware Community Founded by Tennant Family-1823 W/3 Story Mill, Store; School. Mfg. Clothespins, Bowls; Lath. Last Mill Burned 1915. — Map (db m88357) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Town Meeting
First town meeting held on this site March 13, 1801 at the home of James Goodwin. Town named Northfield; changed to Edinburgh in 1808. — Map (db m136291) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Galway Village
One half-mile square, with four corners for a center; settled by early Scots 1774 incorporated April 18, 1838 — Map (db m126925) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Old Baptist Meeting House
Site of old Baptist meeting house and cemetery. First town meeting held here April 5, 1796. First supervisor - Stephen Wait — Map (db m131065) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Seabury Mills
1850 Mill complex included a carding mill, vinegar works, saw mill, and feed mill operated over 60 years by the Seabury family — Map (db m127167) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Site Of John McClelland
House and store 1774 Original Scottish settler opened first store 1780 served as first town supervisor from 1792-1794 — Map (db m126931) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — The Gere House
Built 1794 by Isaac Gere IV Col. Isaac Gere b. 1765 d. 1849 Town supervisor in 1803 State Senator 1830-1834 — Map (db m126942) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Gansevoort — Mawney TavernCirca 1790
The Union Temperate Society of Moreau and Northumberland was organized here on April 13, 1808. Believed to be the first ever temperance organization. — Map (db m133978) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Gansevoort — Youth Park
Bertha E. Smith Youth Park deeded to the town of Northumberland in 1976 for perpetual use as recreation of youth in the township. — Map (db m133979) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Greenfield — Dedicated To
The men and women from the Town of Greenfield who served our country. — Map (db m131693) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Greenfield Center — Town Hall
Given to Town of Greenfield by E. Clarence Jones. First town board meeting here August 2, 1920. — Map (db m130165) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — (Hadley Mountain) Fire Tower
Fire Tower Erected of wood in 1916 Steel tower erected in 1920 Cabin built to house ranger Closed 1990, restored and staffed summers from 1996 — Map (db m9257) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Arlington Hotel
Railroad house built 1866 by John Kathan. Burned 1899. Arlington rebuilt by Paul King. 3 stories, 30 rooms. Burned 1954 — Map (db m131736) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Bow Bridge
This 1885 Parabolic Bridge Replaced 1813 Built Covered Bridge Which Burned. Placed On National Register 3/1977 Closed November 1983 — Map (db m95255) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Gray Cemetery
Burial site of Revolutionary War veteran 2nd Lt Asahel Gray 1747-1827 — Map (db m131623) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Hadley & Lake Luzerne Korean War and Vietnam War Memorial
Dedicated to all those who served for God and Country — Map (db m137346) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Hadley Bow Bridge
The Hadley "Bow Bridge, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, was constructed in 1885 atop masonry-built foundations to replace a burned 1813 timber covered bridge The Bow Bridge is an example of a lenticular or . . . — Map (db m136255) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Hadley Station
1st Train To Hadley 12/1865 Merged With D&H 11/1902 Hotel Guests Met At Station Hadley Depot Closed 8/1958 Station Has Been Demolished Erected 1999 By Town of HadleyMap (db m97390) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Jeremy Rockwell
Early Hadley settler built a grist mill 1803, general store 1807, homes in this area for family and held many town offices — Map (db m131726) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Lynwood Church
Baptist Church organized in 1842. Present edifice built in 1869. Cemetery dates back to 1844. — Map (db m136229) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Old Road
Leading to Congregational Church, Beecher Hollow Cemetery, and Batchellerville covered bridge. These sites are now underwater. — Map (db m136289) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Paper Mill
Rockwell Falls Fiber Co. built in 1878. Became Union Bag & Paper Co. 1892. Next New Era Paper Co. Closed in 1923. Demolished by NY Power. — Map (db m131737) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Post Office
1877 Located by the Hudson. Moved to 4 Corners in 1932. P.O. now on Old Corinth Road. Jemery Rockwell was the first postmaster. — Map (db m131738) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — To Those Who Served
To those who served our Country in time of war. They gave their today for our tomorrow. — Map (db m131751) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
Named from crescent shape of Mohawk River at this point. Site of Indian carry from Mohawk River to Hudson River. Site of old Crescent Bridge. — Map (db m128384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
A major crossing of the Mohawk since the revolution, Crescent was an important commercial center during the Erie Canal Era. — Map (db m128386) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent / Mohawk Towpath Byway / Halfmoon
Crescent When the Erie Canal opened in 1825, the commercial focus in Halfmoon shifted to the village of Crescent where the longest aqueduct on the system carried the canal across the Mohawk River. That aqueduct was replaced in 1842. Between . . . — Map (db m128408) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent Aqueduct
These stone remnants mark the northern end of the aqueduct which carried the Erie Canal over the Mohawk River between 1825 to 1915 — Map (db m129628) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Halfmoon Academy
Private school chartered 1851 to 1877. Transferred to District #1, Town of Halfmoon. A common school until 1951 — Map (db m128389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Spice Factory
Established in 1859 by Joshua Anthony produced baking powder. Spice grinding and extracts operated until 1920 — Map (db m125354) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Town of Halfmoon
Organized in 1788 as one of the four original towns of Saratoga County, Halfmoon became a residential community in the late 20th century. — Map (db m70842) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Van Den Bergh
Property shown on 1767 survey Continued ownership mid 1800’s Farmhouse c. 1834 Family established ferry across the Mohawk in 1707 — Map (db m128382) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Vandenburgh Dunsbach Ferry
Early settlers found well-defined trails between old Indian villages and river fording places. These trails became early roads. Cornelius Claes Vandenburgh established a rope ferry at this site before 1705 connecting an Indian trail that . . . — Map (db m128394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Cemetery 1864
Rolling hills, winding paths and sculpted monuments reflect the rural cemetery movement popular in mid 19th century America — Map (db m129005) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Store 1892
Coal yard and grain business run by George Smith at Elnora railroad crossing, named 1882 for wife of Supervisor of D & H. — Map (db m129003) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Bartlett House
C. 1834, one of oldest Greek Revival farmhouses in Malta. Families here were Tompkins, Patrick, Riley, Bryan, Blackburn, Slade, Bartlett since 1971 — Map (db m129068) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Col. Elmer E. Ellsworth
Col. Elmer E. Ellsworth 1837 - 1861 Site of childhood home First Union officer killed in the Civil War Erected in 2013 by the Town of MaltaMap (db m71469) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Col. Elmer Ellsworth
Born nearby April 11, 1837. Commanded Fire Zouaves. First Union Officer to die in Civil War. "Mourned as a son" by Abraham Lincoln. — Map (db m129657) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Dunning Farm Site
Michael Dunning, 1725-1812 pioneer settler. Purchased 1127 acres April 28, 1773. Laid out common or parade at Dunning Street. Militia captain in the Revolution. — Map (db m129055) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Dunning Street Rural Cemetery
“Burying Ground” set off by Michael Dunning from farm. Oldest grave 1775, his first wife Hannah, and graves of many other pioneer settlers. Designated a Malta Landmark 1990 — Map (db m66806) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Luther Forest
A 7,000 acre forest preserve created by the Luther family 10,000,000 trees planted between 1898 and 1937 — Map (db m129081) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Luther Forest
A 7,000 acre forest preserve created by the Luther family. 10,000,000 trees planted between 1898 and 1937 — Map (db m131572) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Drive-In Signs
Open-air theater started in 1949 by Sarto and Leona Smaldone, Drive-In purchased in 1988 by brothers Ed and Tom Caro, in operation for over 50 years. Designated a Malta Landmark 2007Map (db m40426) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Ridge
Settled well before 1800. Nearby stood Dean Chase's tavern well known landmark and stage coach stop. The ME church was built in 1814. — Map (db m129057) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Ridge Cemetery
Earliest recorded grave 1805. Some early family graves are Arnold, Baker, Brown, Chase, Crouch, Fish, Hill, Ireland, Millard, Phillips, Ramsdale Reno, Riley, Rowley, Wiggins. — Map (db m129058) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta West Ridge Cemetery
Formerly Collamer Cemetery. Oldest recorded grave 1796. Veterans’ graves from World Wars I and II, Civil War, War of 1812 and Revolutionary War. — Map (db m129110) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Maltaville
Maltaville, ca. 1764, earliest settlement first named Malt-ville due to nearby malt brewery. Community supported several industries, church and P.O. designated a Malta landmark 1999Map (db m133868) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Marvin Homestead
Home of William Marvin and Susanna (Wright) Marvin his wife, pioneer settlers in Town of Malta. Land purchased April 2, 1772. House built circa 1790. — Map (db m129112) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Parade Ground
Donated by Captain Michael Dunning in 1776 for use as a militia training ground during the Revolutionary War. It has since served Malta as a public square. — Map (db m129067) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of First CourtSaratoga County May 10, 1791
Courts of Common Pleas and General Sessions, held in the residence of Samuel Clark, later first Supervisor of Malta — Map (db m129109) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of Smith-Caldwell Van Aernem HomeCirca 1830
Vernacular Federal style farm house contained hidden passageways characteristic of the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m129026) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Wiggins – Collamer
Home of George Wiggins. Land, 1821. House c. 1835 150 years in one family. Given Town of Malta 1972 by Nelson P. Collamer. Great, Great Grandson. — Map (db m66807) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Wiggins-Brown-NolenCirca 1840
Vernacular Greek Revival farmhouse of David Wiggins and wife Mary A. 1840-1874 Charles H. Brown family home 1900-1965. Purchased 1970 and restored Thomas V. & Juanita Nolen — Map (db m129111) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicsville — Canal Square
Site of grist, lumber & knit- ting mills dating to 1783. John Short’s Saloon hosted canal travelers here in 1832 where Central Ave. now runs. — Map (db m56895) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Col. Ellsworth
Lincoln’s law clerk, first Union officer killed in Civil War 5-24-1861. Final resting place Hudson View Cemetery, Mechanicville, with parents. — Map (db m40737) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — NY-17 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23712) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Historic Yards
Historic Yards First Linked to Rail in 1835 major yards were built by Hoosic Tunnel, D&H, Fitchburg & B&M Lines. By 1912 it was third largest yard in U.S.A — Map (db m40828) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Immigrant City
Yankees settled in 1760’s. Irish, Italians, & Polish immigrants came to mills & RR yards in late 1800’s, creating our proud ethnic heritage — Map (db m126384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Leland House
Raided by French and Indians in 1748. Rebuilt in 1749. Later the home of Revolutionary Patriot John Ten Broeck 1740-1822 — Map (db m129191) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Milltown USA
First friction matches, 1811; Champlain Canal, 1823; S & R RY 1835; linen thread mill, 1850; power dam, 1885; rail yards, 1892; book paper mill 1904. — Map (db m129272) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Newtown
Newtown Baptist Church located on this corner in 1791. The cemetery contains graves of the first settlers. — Map (db m125363) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Middle Grove — First Town Meeting
Site of first town meeting of the Town of Milton March 1792. — Map (db m130164) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Middle Grove — Glass Factory
On this site in 1842, Oscar Granger and others built a glass factory and support community called Mt. Pleasant. Twenty-five years later, the factory closed and the community gradually died out. — Map (db m136259) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Milton Centre
Early businesses from c. 1780 to late 1800’s. Gordon Grist Mill; Rugg Wheel Shop; Frink-Kellog Store; S. Rugg Tannery; Freelander Blacksmith Shop & Hotel; Thompson Law Office — Map (db m127387) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Milton Hill
Area of town first settled c. 1772 by David Wood family. Powell's Store, Episcopal & Presbyterian Churches until c. 1850; School #3 to 1950's. — Map (db m127303) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — North Milton
Old Stone Church area settled late 1700's. J. Bentley homestead where Baptist Society founded 1793. Stone church built 1826 still serves. District # 13 school. — Map (db m130153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Rock City Falls
V. Rathbun settled pre-1800. Area grew around early saw, grist mills; stores; hotels; schools; 1810 Methodist Ch.; mid-1800 paper mills Kilmer, West; P.O.; Catholic Ch. 1872 — Map (db m127292) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Rose Hill Water Tower
Square, triple-walled stone structure built about 1917 to store and supply running water to Thompson Farm and area. Used until 1970's. — Map (db m127306) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonClute’s Corners
Settlers came before 1800. Stores of Whalen, Clute. #7 School. P.O. 1824-1921. Early mill/West Pioneer c 1870. Wilson Park & Chapel c 1874. — Map (db m127389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonSpeir’s Corners
J. Shearer came c 1774, others after war. Saw, grist mill. Presbyterian Ch. c 1800-1940. Vedder, later Speir, Store. West Milton Hotel to 1918 — Map (db m127394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mosherville — A Plow Factory
The Mosher Furnace, Galway home of the Mosher Plow produced from 1847 to 1926. Powered by waterwheel. Frank Fonda ran gen. store. — Map (db m131062) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Northville — Beecher's Store
Early stage coach stop and site of town's first post office. Original house built c. 1802. Post office moved to Edinburg 4-Corners in 1948 — Map (db m43815) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Aqueduct, 1842
Aqueduct, 1842 Second aqueduct erected on site to carry Erie Canal across Mohawk River. Nearby are Locks 21 & 22 and a former canal store. — Map (db m37826) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Country Club Acres, 1957
Clifton Park's first residential development. Begun by Robert Van Patten, (1919-1990) — Map (db m125360) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Garnsey House
1791 Federal home of Nathan Garnsey and his son Nathan Jr., the 2nd supervisor of Clifton Park in 1829. — Map (db m126241) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — In Grateful Memory
Of those who died in the service of our country during World War II William B. Piette   Okinawa 1945 J. Merle Boswell   France 1944 Ernest Charbonneau   France 1944 David Currie   Pacific Ocean 1945 Matthew A. Just   Germany 1944 . . . — Map (db m132418) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Rexford Cemetery
Active 1799-1854 Rexford and Knowlton families Relocated c. 1925 to Vale Cemetery, Schenectady — Map (db m125456) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Rexford House
Edward Rexford settled here from England c. 1763. Early home enlarged by Cyrus Rexford in 1883. — Map (db m125396) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Shepherd House
C. 1785 home of William (1768-1814) and Margaret MacIntosh Shepherd. Her brother John founder of MacIntosh Apple lived nearby 1777-1796 — Map (db m128347) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Southard House
C. 1845 Greek Revival home of Jonas (1802-1878) and Elsie Demarest Southard. Later owned by Rexford Hotel owner John McLane. — Map (db m126239) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Tavern c. 1820
Store and tavern of Samuel Grooms. First Clifton Park Town Board meeting held here in 1828. — Map (db m126828) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Vischer House
c. 1801 Home of Nicholas (1777-1841) and Catherine Van Vranken Vischer. He was grandson of Vischer Ferry’s first settler. — Map (db m126833) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Round Lake — Round Lake
Established by Round Lake Camp Meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Troy Conference, Chartered May 5, 1868, by the State Legislature. First Camp Meeting September 1 - 10, 1868. — Map (db m48153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — “The Gut” or “The Valley”(Circa 1920-1960)
In this low-lying neighborhood a lively Jewish enclave of stores markets, hotels and boarding houses catered to NYC summer visitors here for the healing springs. — Map (db m135687) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Bryan Home
Erected 1832 on the site of the Log Cabin Inn of Alexander Bryan Revolutionary Scout — Map (db m61668) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Columbian Spring
Discovered in 1803 by Gideon Putnam while clearing land around Congress Park. Purchased by John Clark in 1823, he constructed a Grecian pavillion over it in 1840. The City and Historical Society rebuilt the structure in 1981. Presently the . . . — Map (db m40625) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Congress Park
Historic Congress Park incorporates an early park, a former gambling casino, the site of one of Saratoga Springs’ great hotels, and several historic sculptures. Gideon Putnam founded this part of Saratoga Springs, the “Lower . . . — Map (db m36633) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Congress Spring
Congress Spring was discovered in 1792 by Nicholas Gilman, a member of Congress. It was tubed by Gideon Putnam, an early developer of Saratoga Springs. Dr. John Clark purchased the spring in 1826, bottled the water, and shipped it throughout the . . . — Map (db m131587) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Creation of the Park
Years of over-pumping had depleted the natural aquifers of spring water. In 1911, the State of New York claimed ownership of the springs and formed the Saratoga Springs Reservation Commission, which included the area of High Rock. In 1960, . . . — Map (db m131584) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Dublin
Drawn by hotel & railroad work, Irish & then Italian immigrants populated this special neighborhood from the 1840s through the 1890s — Map (db m131562) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Franklin Square
Franklin Square remains virtually as it appeared at the turn of the century, and is surrounded by buildings dating back to as early as the 1830's. Many belonging to the prominent Marvin family important in the history of Saratoga Springs, but . . . — Map (db m131744) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — 222 — Frederick Douglass
African-American social reformer spoke at Dean's Corners school house June 9, 1849 to a crowd of Quaker abolitionists — Map (db m131564) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Gideon Putnam Burying Grounds
Gideon Putnam (1763-1812) early settler and founding father. Developed Saratoga from wilderness to famous spa. Putnam donated this land and was the first to be buried here. The stone wall surrounds the Putnam family plot. National Register of . . . — Map (db m131685) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Hall of Springs
The ceremony in which the cornerstone of the Hall of Springs was laid July 12, 1933, marked the beginning of the New Spa's development. Waters from the Geyser, Hathorn, and Coesa Springs were piped into the Hall of Springs for patrons to drink while . . . — Map (db m48201) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — High Rock in the 1800’s
In the 1800's thousands of people visited Saratoga Springs to drink the healing waters. In 1848 The Clarke and White Spring Water Company was the first to commercially bottle High Rock water. They purchased the spring and erected a circular brick . . . — Map (db m131583) HM

404 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 204
Paid Advertisement