Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Schenectady County New York Historical Markers

 
Stevens House 1693 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, June 23, 2019
Stevens House 1693 Marker
New York (Schenectady County), Alplaus — Stevens House 1693
On Ronald Reagan Way near New York State Route 24, on the right when traveling north.
Built by Jonathan Stevens, Indian interpreter at Ael Plaets (Eel Place) — Map (db m135688) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Alplaus — Yates Farm
On Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
And cemetery. Settled 1734 by Joseph Yates 1707-1748. Grandfather of Joseph C. Yates governor of N.Y. 1823-24 — Map (db m131239) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Baptist Church
On New York State Route 30, on the left when traveling north.
Society organized 1800 uniting Duanesburg & Florida Baptists-1st Ministers-Elders Reuben Mudge, Elnathan Finch Present edifice built 1868 — Map (db m6042) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Christ Episcopal Church
On Great Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) at Duanesburg Churches Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling west on Great Western Turnpike.
Built 1792 Consecrated 1793 by Bishop Samuel Provoost A Glebe of 80 acres presented by James Duane for rectory — Map (db m5453) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Christ Episcopal Church
On Great Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) at Duanesburg Churches Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling west on Great Western Turnpike.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1793 — Map (db m5580) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Christman Sanctuary
On Schoharie Turnpike (County Route 74), on the right when traveling east.
in honor of Mr. & Mrs. W.W. Christman ——————— "I Give, Bequeath, Devote, Devise, Shelter to Every Bird That Flies" ——————— Dedicated by The Mohawk . . . — Map (db m7152) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Christman Sanctuary — History —
On Schoharie Turnpike (County Route 74), on the right.
The Eastern New York chapter of the Nature Conservancy purchased the original 97 acres of this sanctuary in 1970 from Lansing and Lucille Christman, son and daughter-in-law of the late William W. Christman. William (Will) Christman devoted his . . . — Map (db m13904) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — County Line Meeting House
On Mill Point Road, on the left when traveling north.
Erected Here About 1800. It was used by all denominations worshiping in the vicinity. — Map (db m6044) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Duanesburg Reformed Presbyterian Church
On Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) near Duanesburg Churches Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling west.
Society of the Reformed Presbyterian Church Org. 1795 By Rev. McKinney 1st Ministers: Rev. McMaster, Wylie, & Ramsay. Present Edifice Built 1836 — Map (db m41320) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Eatons Corners Post Office & Store
On Eatons Corners Road (County Route 147) at Bramans Corners Road (County Route 102), on the right when traveling north on Eatons Corners Road.
Site of post office & store established about 1820 by Lemuel Eaton and run for years. He brought the mail each Saturday on horseback from Amsterdam. — Map (db m29760) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — 26 — Esperance WitchLegends & Lore
On Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) at Old Highway 30 (County Route 157), on the right when traveling west on Western Turnpike.
Lived Near Here In 1800s. French Settler Accused Of Witchcraft By New England Settlers. Killed By Silver Bullet Shot Through Her Window — Map (db m109404) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Friends Meeting House
On New York State Route 7, on the right when traveling west.
Friends Meeting House Erected 1807 Near Site Of Original Log Structure 1st Preacher—Ezekiel Tripp Society Organized About 1790 — Map (db m6043) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Frost Homestead
On Mariaville Road (County Route 159) at Batter Street (County Route 94), on the right when traveling west on Mariaville Road.
This house was built by James Frost in 1834, using reclaimed portions from the Featherstonhaugh Mansion built in 1808 — Map (db m6040) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Great Lot 92
Near Lake Road (County Route 88) 0.6 miles east of Duanesburg Churches Road (County Route 127), on the left when traveling east.
The boundaries of the County Forest Preserve are the same as they were when Elkanoh Rockwell leased this land from James Duane in 1794. Duane held 50,000 acres in the area then known as Duane's Bush. He divided his land into hundred acre . . . — Map (db m42061) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Home of William North
On North Mansion Road at Duane Lake Road, on the right when traveling north on North Mansion Road.
Home, Erected 1784 - Of - William North Born 1755 Died 1836 ————————— Soldier Throughout The Revolution Aide De Camp To Baron Steuben Adjutant General Of The Provisional . . . — Map (db m27494) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — James Duane
On Great Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) at Duanesburg Churches Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling west on Great Western Turnpike.
Born 1732 buried here 1797. In Continental Congress Provincial Convention, Mayor of New York, State Senator, Federal Judge. — Map (db m48921) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — 16 — Michael Righter — Legends & Lore —
Near Duanesburg Road (New York State Route 7), on the right when traveling east.
Michael Righter 1718-1804 Buried Here First Permanent Settler of Duanesburg Who Lived In Small Cave Near Here ca 1765 Before Building a Log Cabin — Map (db m109359) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Sherburne Tannery
On Batter Street (County Route 94) near North Road, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
Near site of old Sherburne Tannery Est. by John Sherburne about 1790. After clearing land the business brought him over $100,000. — Map (db m66740) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Tory Tree Site
On Eaton Corners Road (New York State Route 147), on the right when traveling north.
During the Revolution a Tory stuck his poplar walking stick in hasty escape from capture by a Continental surprise — Map (db m6041) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Town of Duanesburg
On Duanesburg Road (New York State Route 7) at U.S. 20, on the right on Duanesburg Road.
A grateful community dedicates this memorial to the men and women who have honorably served this country — Map (db m130290) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — William North
On Great Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) at Duanesburg Churches Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling west on Great Western Turnpike.
William North Born 1755 Buried here 1836 Aide to Steuben in 1779 General in U. S. Army Son in law of James Duane Assemblyman and Speaker — Map (db m5518) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — A Former Lake
On West Glenville Road, on the left when traveling east.
Just north of these gravel knolls is the basin of a postglacial lake. Here men of an Arctic type once lived and hunted — Map (db m127351) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — A Notable Home
On Amsterdam Road (New York State Route 5), on the right.
Here about 1720 stood the first house in this part of the valley. Home of seven generations of the Van Eps family. — Map (db m129706) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Alplaus
On Alplaus Ave. at Bruce Drive, on the right when traveling west on Alplaus Ave..
Formerly “Aal Plaats” from Dutch meaning “place of eels.” French and Indians camped at Alplaus Creek on the eve of Schenectady Massacre 1690. — Map (db m125364) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Beukendaal. 1748
On Sacandaga Road (New York State Route 157), on the right when traveling north.
Dutch Word Meaning Beechdale. DeGraff House Where 40 Schenectady Militia Fought Off French- Indian Raiding Party Town of GlenvilleMap (db m104952) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Cement Mill
On Touareuna Road, on the left when traveling west.
Here, 1825-45, stood the kiln and mill of John Van Eps & Sons, making the first hydraulic cement in this part of the state — Map (db m130684) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Fall Tree Kill
On West Glenville Road, on the right when traveling east.
Named by the first settlers of the region. Here, his primitive bridge a fallen tree, the red man crossed this stream — Map (db m127354) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — First Church in Glenville
On Wolf Hollow Road at Hatcher Ave., on the right when traveling north on Wolf Hollow Road.
First Church In Glenville Built 1785, Here Stood The "Church At The Woestina" (Church In The Wilderness) Removed To Rotterdam 1812 — Map (db m105176) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Hoffmans Ferry
On Mohawk Turnpike/Amsterdam Road (New York State Route 5) at Wolf Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west on Mohawk Turnpike/Amsterdam Road.
Here About 1790 Harmanus Vedder Established A Ferry Which Bore His Name Until 1835 When The Ferry Rights Were Bought By J. Hoffman — Map (db m105177) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Josias Swart Homestead
On New York State Route 5 at Johnson Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 5.
Called the sixth flat, Josias Swart, b. 1653, received a deed from the Trustees of Schenectady August 5, 1713 — Map (db m130345) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Kinaquariones
On Touareuna Road, on the right when traveling west.
Site of archaic Algonkian village. Its corn pits yet remains. Through this vale ran a great and ancient path, trod by many races. — Map (db m130339) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Primitive Path
On West Glenville Road, on the left when traveling east.
Here ran a great and well-beaten path by the archaic Algonkin and other nations, going between the sea coast and the interior — Map (db m127348) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Primitive Path
On West Glenville Road, on the right when traveling east.
Here ran a great and well-beaten path used by the archaic Algonkin and other nations, going between the sea coast and interior — Map (db m127353) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Sacandaga Road
On Sacandaga Road (New York State Route 147), on the right when traveling north.
New York Sacandaga Road Cut Through The Primitive Forest By Early Settlers Along An Indian Trail Leading To The Sacandaga Region And Canada. — Map (db m104957) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Sacandaga Road
On New York State Route 147 at Charlton Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 147.
Cut through primitive forest by early settlers along an Indian trail leading Sacandaga Region and Canada — Map (db m126936) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Seeley House
Near Freeman's Bridge Road, on the right when traveling north.
Farm of John F. Seeley, 19th Century broom corn grower, broom manufacturer. First bridge erected here in 1855 by Volney Freeman — Map (db m125398) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Site of a Tavern
On Sacandaga Road (New York State Route 147) at Ridge Road (County Route 49), on the right when traveling south on Sacandaga Road.
New York Site Of A Tavern Kept By Nicholas S. Van Patten. First Glenville Town Meeting Held Here Jan. 2, 1821 — Map (db m104983) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — The Beukendaal Battle
On Sacandaga Road (New York State Route 147), on the right when traveling north.
1748         1929 In Memory Of The Men Who Were Killed In This Ravine In The Beukendaal Battle On July 18, 1748 By The Canadian Indians John A. Bradt Johannes Marinus Peter Vrooman Daniel Van Antwerpen Cornelis Viele, . . . — Map (db m102619) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Van Vleck Home
On West Glenville Road at Lovers Lane, on the left when traveling east on West Glenville Road.
Here, about 1770, Harmanus Van Vleck cleared a tract and built his house in the dense forest, yet haunt of the wolf, bear, and panther — Map (db m127352) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Vedder Tavern
On New York State Route 5 1 mile from New York State Route 103, on the left when traveling west.
Built by Schermerhorn family in 1676 and 1769 on east end of seventh flat. For many years kept as a tavern by Albert Vedder. — Map (db m130349) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Wolf Hollow
On Wolf Hollow Road at Hoffman's Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Wolf Hollow Road.
A Fault And Displacement of 1000 Feet in Earth's Surface Rocks. Here, In 1669, The Mohawks Ambushed Their Algonkian Invaders — Map (db m105175) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Wolf Hollow
On Hoffman's Hill Road near Wolf Hollow Road, on the right when traveling north.
New York Wolf Hollow A Fault And Displacement Of 1000 Feet In Earth's Surface Rocks. Here, In 1669, The Mohawks Ambushed Their Algonkian Invaders — Map (db m105189) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — Edith M. Boldebuck1915-1981
On River Road, on the right.
Edith M. Boldebuck, a leading GE patent holder, played a key role in the developments of plastics and insulating materials. — Map (db m123052) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History
Near Ferry Road.
This area was the site of rich Native American agricultural fields and extensive trade paths. In the 17th century and 18th centuries, Dutch colonists and other European settlers farmed here and transported their goods on those same paths. Boats . . . — Map (db m126661) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — The Historic Rexford AqueductA feature of the National Historic Landmark - New York State Canal System - The Erie Canal
On New York State Route 146, on the right when traveling north.
In 1817, the Erie Canal was established under the management of the Erie Canal Commission. The canal was dug from Albany to Buffalo 4’ deep and 40’ wide with stone locks 15’x 90’. The locks were the limiting factor on boat size, and the efficiency . . . — Map (db m128557) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — Welcome to the Colonie Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Path
Near Old River Road.
The Town of Colonie includes 10.2 miles of riverfront along the Mohawk River and Erie Canal. The bike-hike trail which parallels the river and canal is part of the 359 mile NYS Canalway Trail stretching from Buffalo to Albany. Points of interest . . . — Map (db m127029) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Pattersonville — Johnson Hall – 1763Johnstown — Historic New York —
On New York Thruway (U.S. I-90), on the right when traveling west.
          Sir William Johnson (1715-1774), Indian trader, statesman, diplomat and Colonial Empire Builder, in 1763 built Johnson Hall, the center of his estate and the scene of many Indian conferences.           Coming from Ireland in 1738, . . . — Map (db m75961) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — 10th Ward War MemorialBellevue, New York
On Broadway at Guilderland Avenue, in the median on Broadway.
To the honor of those from the 10th ward who so gloriously served their country in World War II 1941-1945 These gave their all in World War II John A. Alois, Stanley Best, Ralph R. Bouck, Joseph Caiazzo, James F. Dorning, Albert Desimone, . . . — Map (db m133937) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 23Erie Canal Lock 23
Near Rice Road near Schermerhorn Road.
The stonework surrounding you is the remains of lock 23 of the Enlarged Erie Canal. Canal boats, drawn by mules and horses, passed through the chambers on either side of you on their way toward revolutionizing transportation in the mid-nineteenth . . . — Map (db m25101) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Enlarged Lock 23
Near Rice Road.
About 3000 feet from modern Lock 8 is Lock 23, built in 1841 during the enlargement of the Erie Canal (1836-1862). It replaced original Erie Canal Lock 26. Enlarging the canal became imperative by the mid-1830's after user demand outstripped the . . . — Map (db m93716) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Gateway LandingSchenectady Harbor 1660 - 1820
On SCCC Loop, on the right when traveling north.
Head of navigation on the Mohawk, this thriving gateway post funneled traders, soldiers and settlers west for over 160 years. Warehouses -- filled with furs, grain, salt, potash and other goods -- lined the far bank of the Binnekill. Hundreds of . . . — Map (db m53146) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — George S. Haswell III1946 - 1994
On SCCC Loop, on the right when traveling north.
Mariner, master of the batteau Discovery, which departed this harbor August 21, 1992, on the 200th anniversary of Schuyler's Expedition, through her final voyage to Onondaga Lake, July 9th 1994; there he was struck by lightning and died, July . . . — Map (db m51122) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — George WestinghouseAn American Leader — Veteran - Inventor - Businessman —
On Broadway at Westinghouse Place, in the median on Broadway.
Born October 6, 1846    Central Bridge, New York Died March 12, 1914    Buried in Arlington National Cemetery Educated in Schenectady   Attended Union College Civil War Veteran of the Union Army and Navy 1863,1865 Founded Westinghouse . . . — Map (db m134086) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Home of Jimmy Carter
Near un-named cul-de-sac off of Duanesburg Road.
U.S. Army Rotterdam Housing Area Home of Jimmy Carter October 1952 - October 1953 James Earl Carter, Jr., President of the United States 1977-1981, and his wife Rosalynn, lived in Quarters Number 7 when he . . . — Map (db m6870) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Vedder Family Cemetery
Near West Campbell Road.
This historic burial plot contains the remains of descendants of Harmen Albertse Vedder, an original settler of Schenectady. He purchased the land and built a home in 1672. Harmen died around 1715 and is probably buried here. After purchasing this . . . — Map (db m23020) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Alan Fairbanks
On Riverside Drive (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling west.
Died November 28, 2006 due to a spinal cord injury caused by a car-bike crash at this crossing, October 29, 2006. The white "ghost bike” has been standing watch as a memorial to Alan since 2007, awaiting the current design to be installed . . . — Map (db m130990) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Jan Mabee House
On Main Street (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling west.
Built Circa 1705 Occupied For 3 Centuries The Farmstead Features 2 Distinct Styles Of Dutch Architecture — Map (db m73814) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Jan Mabie House, 1670
On Main Street (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling west.
Oldest House in Mohawk Valley, East of this Point, Built by Daniel Janse Van Antwerpen, 1670 — Map (db m32192) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Plotter Kill Aqueduct
On 5S, on the left.
These stone arches are the remains of an aqueduct that conveyed the Erie Canal across the Plotter Kill Creek. Aqueducts were used to carry the canal and its towpath over rivers, ravines, and other obstructions. They each consisted of an arched stone . . . — Map (db m125976) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — "Big Boy"ALCo's Mighty 4-8-8-4
On Harborside Drive, on the right when traveling south.
"Big Boy” was a lot of rolling steel - a whopping 1,250,000 pounds, or 612.5 tons of it with its tender included. The American Locomotive Company built 25 of these mammoth locomotives for the Union Pacific Railroad between the years . . . — Map (db m125487) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — 12th Ward World War II Memorial
On Iroquois Drive, on the right when traveling west.
In gratitude to the men and women of the 12th Ward who served their country in the Second World War. left plaque: Dedicated to the patriotism and valor of the more than fifteen hundred men and women of the Twelfth Ward who served in the . . . — Map (db m138067) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — 1418 Union
On Union Street (New York State Route 146) at McKellan Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Union Street.
Home of Harriet Leonard Colburn. First Regent 1911 of Schenectady Chapter NSDAR. Suffragist, musician, leader of civic organizations. — Map (db m135613) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — 1832-1838
On Front Street, on the left when traveling east.
Site of S&S RR (Schenectady and Saratoga Railroad) Subway — Map (db m128758) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Albany Path Ska-Nek-Ta-De
On State Street (New York State Route 5) just south of Stanford Ave., on the right when traveling east.
Trail Through Open Pines Wagon, Stagecoach and Military Road. Now State St. and Route 5 to Albany — Map (db m51127) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ALCo Site
On Nott Street near Maxon Rd., on the right when traveling east.
On this three-acre plot in 1848 was founded the locomotive works which prospered until 1968 as American Locomotive Co. — Map (db m38348) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ALCo's Legacy
The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) and its predecessor, Schenectady Locomotive Works, manufactured locomotives from 1849 until 1969. For 120 years they designed and sold high quality, state-of-the-art locomotives to railroads and governments on . . . — Map (db m125514) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ALCo's Legacy
The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) and its predecessor, Schenectady Locomotive Works, manufactured locomotives from 1849 until 1969. For 120 years they designed and sold high quality, state-of-the-art locomotives to railroads and governments on . . . — Map (db m125519) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Arendt Van Curler
On Union Street at North Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Union Street.
To honor the memory of Arendt Van Curler Acknowledged leader of the fifteen original settlers of Schenectady. Born at Nijkerk, Holland, 1620; Came to New Amsterdam, 1638; To Schenectady, 1662; Resided here until death. . . . — Map (db m15029) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Bradt House1735
On Schermerhorn Road west of Rice Road, on the left when traveling east.
Early type of Dutch farmhouse. To west was Woestina (Wilderness) — Map (db m123077) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ca 1786
On Washington Street, on the left when traveling north.
John Baptist Van Epps was a fur trader and also operated a fleet of boats. At this site he ran the ferry dock at which George Washington landed on one of his visits to Schenectady. — Map (db m128741) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ca 1850
On Washington Street, on the right when traveling north.
First Schenectady home of Dr. Charles Proteus Steinmetz — Map (db m130186) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Casey JonesLegendary Engineer
Railroads and railroading are an integral part of our nation's songbook. By the early 20th century, that included songs such as John Henry, the mythical steel-drivin' man;" The Wabash Cannonball, a locomotive with "no equal;” . . . — Map (db m125474) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Circa 1824Mary and James Carley House
On Washington Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built on land granted in 1662 to Jacques Van Slyck, son of a Mohawk woman, Otstoch, and Cornelius Van Slyck. Site of Van Slyck’s tavern 1671. Structure replaces the buildings destroyed in the Great Fire of 1819. — Map (db m128802) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Clench's Tavern
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Washington Ave., on the right when traveling east on State Street.
Here St Georges Lodge No 6 F & AM Formed June 1774 Here Washington Was Entertained By Civil and Military Authorities June 30, 1782 — Map (db m51163) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Commemorating Massacre
On Front Street at North Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Front Street.
Commemorating Massacre of Feb. 8-9,1690. One Hundred and Fourteen French and Ninety-Six Indians Entered During Night at North Gate, Located at this Point. Assault was Commenced Here. Seventy Houses were Burned, Sixty Persons Killed and . . . — Map (db m77520) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Cur Non?
On Front Street at Governors Lane, on the right when traveling west on Front Street.
Cur Non! On June 11, 1825 Major General Marquis De Lafayette, Soldier, Statesman, Citizen of France And of the United States, Was the Guest of the Honorable Joseph C. Yates, Governor of The State . . . — Map (db m34319) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Dutch Church
On Union Street at North Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Union Street.
Founded Before 1680. First Mohawk Valley Church From Its Academy of 1785 Grew Union College, 1795. — Map (db m77728) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Early Smithy
On Broadway near Fairview Ave., on the right when traveling west.
On this corner site stood first Bellevue Blacksmith shop, from 1885 to 1925. Started by Julius Zander, followed by Julius Zemke. — Map (db m49268) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Edison and SteinmetzTwo founding fathers of electricity
On Erie Boulevard at South Ferry Street, on the right when traveling south on Erie Boulevard.
Thomas Edison was a brilliant inventor and entrepreneur. Charles Steinmetz was a mathematical genius in the field of electrical engineering. Both epitomized the American dream for success. Edison was profoundly hearing-impaired and Steinmetz . . . — Map (db m130634) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Ellis Hospital
On Jay Street at Liberty Street, on the right when traveling north on Jay Street.
Built 1893 on this site,replacing 1885 Dispensary. It became City Hall Annex in 1906 as hospital moved to Nott Street location. — Map (db m58342) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — First Mill
On Mill Lane, on the right when traveling east.
Site Of First Mill Built By Sweer Teunise On Mill Kill 1666. Destroyed By Flood 1673 and Rebuilt. First Industry Of The Mohawk Valley — Map (db m51121) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Free Masonry
On Washington Ave. at Water Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Ave.. Reported missing.
St George's Lodge, No. 6 F. & A. M. Founded Here 1774 Under Auspices Of Sir John Johnson, Grand Master, New York Colony — Map (db m51170) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Freemasonry
Near Water Street at Fuller Street, on the right when traveling south.
St. George's Lodge No. 6 F. & A.M. Founded Here 1774 Under Auspices of Sir John Johnson Grand Master, New York Colony — Map (db m143156) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — GE Realty Plot
On Rugby Road, on the right when traveling west.
E.K Rossiter, T.H. Ellet, W.T.B. Mynderse, and A.J. Russell were among the major architects who designed houses here. — Map (db m125443) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — General Electric Building 32
On Erie Blvd, on the right when traveling east.
Constructed in 1892 for Thomas Edison's research on lighting and later for Doppler Radar development for the United States Government was restored in 1998 by Warren Camp with support from The City Of Schenectady and The New York . . . — Map (db m66125) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Historic Vale Cemetery / Founders & Builders
Near North Brandywine Avenue (New York State Route 146).
Historic Vale Cemetery Vale Cemetery opened in 1857 as a non-denominational, not-for-profit cemetery and a classic example of the Rural Cemetery Movement. The Rural Cemetery Movement envisioned cemeteries as public places with parks, lakes, . . . — Map (db m135164) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Home of Aaron Dickinson
On Washington Ave. at Front Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Ave..
1863 Home of Aaron Dickinson, blacksmith and his wife Elizabeth Home of J. Teller Schoolcraft while he was Mayor of Schenectady (1914-1915) Site of store owned by John Prince (New York State Assembly member, after whom . . . — Map (db m56484) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Hotel Van Curler
On Washington Ave at State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling south on Washington Ave.
Hotel Van Curler Built 1925 Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m50859) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Ignacy Jan Paderewski1860     1941
On Irving Street, on the right when traveling south.
1860     1941 In This Auditorium On October 8, 1917 At The 35-th National Convention Of The Polish Roman - Catholic Union Of America Ignacy Jan Paderewski Polish Pianist And Statesman Prime Minister Of Poland - 1919 Leader Of . . . — Map (db m101770) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Issac J. Truax Tavern1757-1805
On Kings Road, on the left when traveling south.
Site of a 18th Century tavern on the King’s Highway. — Map (db m127554) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — John Glen House 1740
On Washington Ave.. Reported missing.
John Glen House 1740 Washington Occupied N.E. Bedroom, Second Floor On First Visit to Schenectady In 1775 — Map (db m32541) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — John Howard Payne
On Union Street at Library Lane, on the right when traveling west on Union Street.
To the memory of John Howard Payne, the author of Home Sweet Home. A student at Union College in the Class of 1810. ‘Mid the pleasures and palaces Though I may roam Be it ever so humble There’s no place like home A charm from the . . . — Map (db m130631) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Joseph C. Yates
On Front Street, on the right when traveling east.
Here Was Born Joseph C. Yates, Nov. 9, 1768. He was the First Mayor of Schenectady, State Senator, Judge of the Supreme Court, and Governor of the State of New York, Died at his Residence, East Corner Governor's Lane, March . . . — Map (db m33771) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — M-7 Day
On Washington Ave. at State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling north on Washington Ave..
Saturday April 10, 1943 On this spot representatives of the British Eight Army paid tribute to American Locomotive Co. Workers — Map (db m51131) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Mother Of FraternitiesUnion College
On Union Street at Nott Terrace, on the right when traveling west on Union Street.
. . . — Map (db m135007) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Nott Memorial
Near South Lane near Library Lane.
Nott Memorial Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance In Commemorating The History of The United States of America 1986 National Park Service United States Department of . . . — Map (db m23365) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Nott Terrace High School
On Nott Terrace, on the right when traveling south.
Site of Schenectady High School. Built in 1903, renamed Nott Terrace High School in 1931. Taken down in 1974. — Map (db m127901) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Oldest HouseIn City
On North Church Street.
Built before 1700 by Hendrick Brouwer a fur trader who died here 1707. Sold 1799 to James Rosa, Supt. Mohawk & Hudson R.R. 1831 — Map (db m128840) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Original Site of the African Church
On Jay Street, on the left when traveling east.
1837 Original Site of the African Church Founded in 1837 By Reverend Isaac Duryee Renamed Duryee Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in 1894 — Map (db m97295) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — PulaskiUnion Makes Valor Stronger
On Veeder Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Veeder Street.
Count Casimir Pulaski - Polish friend of America in the Revolutionary War distinguished himself on General George Washington’s staff in the Battle of Brandywine. Commissioned Brigadier General. Fought at Germantown and other battles in winter of . . . — Map (db m128129) HM WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Rest Here for the Night
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Layfayette Street, on the right when traveling east on State Street.
(south side) In memory of the soldiers & sailors from Schenectady County, who aided in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-5. (north side) Erected by the Ladies Monument Association of the City of . . . — Map (db m128133) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Revolutionary Hospital & Continental Barracks
On Union Street at Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling east on Union Street.
On This Site Stood During the Revolutionary War The General Hospital For The Northern Department, And The Continental Barracks. Built By Order Of General Washington In Nov. 1776, And used Until 1780 By Troops Passing Through Or . . . — Map (db m50316) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Ride of Symon Schermerhoorn
On North Church Street, on the right when traveling north.
On Night of Feb. 8, 1690. Although Wounded He Rode 20 Miles To Albany Warning Settlers — Map (db m77689) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Robert Sanders House 1750
On Washington Ave., on the right when traveling north.
Washington Visited Here in 1775 Later Became Schenectady Female Academy — Map (db m77588) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling east on State Street. Reported missing.
Updated 2008 Marker: The Chamber of Schenectady County Welcomes You To Schenectady Settled by Arent Van Curler 1661 Burned by the French and Indians Feb. 8, 1690 The original 1924 marker read: Erected by Chamber of . . . — Map (db m15074) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady
On Jay Street, on the right when traveling north.
Founded in the Wilderness Beyond Feudal Control Inherits the Spirit of Liberty And Progress * Here Our Forefathers Established A College Free From Sectarianism * They Helped to Develop The Steam Railroad and Inland Water . . . — Map (db m58355) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady 27th Division World War I Memorial1917 - U.S.A. - 1919
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling east on State Street.
Be it our task to save in memory of the life you gave those rights for which your blood was shed names were not transcribedMap (db m133862) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady ALCO War Memorial
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling east on State Street.
This memorial erected on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the locomotive industry in this city and is dedicated to all Schenectadians who died for their country. Dedicated September 24, 1948 — Map (db m134991) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady Police Department125th Anniversary
On Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated May 18th, 1995 In Commemoration Of The 125th Anniversary Of The Schenectady Police Department ---------------- In Remembrance of those Police Officers Who Gave The Ultimate Sacrifice For Their Community ---------------- . . . — Map (db m50312) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady's Little Italy
On North Jay Street at Union Street, on the left when traveling east on North Jay Street.
Benvenuti Welcome to Schenectady's Little Italy ------------------------------- This Gateway and Street are dedicated to Italian immigrants who came to Schenectady during the great European immigrations to the United States beginning at . . . — Map (db m39547) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Second Ward Second World War Memorial
On Nott Street at Hattie Street, in the median on Nott Street.
In everlasting tribute to the men and women of the Second Ward who served in the armed forces during the Second World War — Map (db m134522) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Site of Queen's Fort
On Front Street at North Ferry Street, in the median on Front Street.
Built in 1705, as a triple stockade. Rebuilt in 1735, on heavy hewn timbers set on stone wall ten feet high. Fort was one hundred feet square, with blockhouse at each corner, twenty four feet square and twenty feet high. Was capable of holding . . . — Map (db m32506) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Site of the Home of Charles Proteus SteinmetzFrom 1903 Until His Death in 1923.
On Wendle Avenue at Adams Road, on the right when traveling south on Wendle Avenue.
A pioneer in electrical engineering . He was president of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, Consulting Engineer of the General Electric Company and Professor of Engineering at Union College. A civic leader he was chairman of the . . . — Map (db m50131) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — South Gate of Stockade
On South Ferry Street at State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling north on South Ferry Street.
Located at centre of present State Street in east line of stockade, which extended north, through a point nine feet west of northeast corner of present State and Ferry Streets. Watch house was located southwest of, and near this . . . — Map (db m7251) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — South Shore Road
Colonial-Revolutionary road to Fort Stanwix and Oswego. Route of troops in five wars — Map (db m128747) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Southwest Corner of Stockade
Near State Street, in the median.
Southwest Corner of Stockade, was twenty-eight feet South, from a point one hundred feet west, of this tablet. A blockhouse or fort, containing the royal flagstaff, stood in this angle of stockade, and was burned on night of massacre, Feb. 8-9, . . . — Map (db m32410) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Spanish American War Memorial
On Monument Hill east of Bradley Boulevard.
Freedom — Patriotism — Humanity Erected by the County of Schenectady commemorating the valor and patriotism of the men of this County who served in the war with Spain, Philippine Insurrection, and China Relief Expedition . . . — Map (db m13862) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — St. George's Church 1762
On North Ferry Street, on the right when traveling north.
Organized 1735. Part Of Present Church Built 1759 Used As Barracks During Revolution — Map (db m77685) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Stockade Historic District
On Erie Blvd at Union Street, on the right when traveling west on Erie Blvd.
The Seventeenth Century The Schenectady Stockade is one of the oldest communities in America. Founded by the Dutch on land purchased from the Mohawk Indians in 1661, it came under English rule three years later. From the earliest days a timber . . . — Map (db m58817) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Albany Street at Kings Road, on the right when traveling east on Albany Street.
Route of main road west until 1799. — Map (db m127551) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Kings Road at McDonald Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Kings Road.
First road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663. — Map (db m127553) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Kings Road, on the right when traveling east.
The route of the King’s Highway. George Washington rode over this road to Schenectady in 1786 — Map (db m127556) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s HighwayRoute of
On Kings Road, on the right when traveling south.
The main route west until 1799. — Map (db m127557) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Ferry Street, on the right on State Street.
First road from Albany ended here at Schenectady south gate — Map (db m131300) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Albany Street at Brandywine Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Albany Street.
“We rode over a fine sandy cart road through a woods of nothing but beautiful evergreen or fir trees.” Dankers and Sluyter 1680 — Map (db m137846) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King's Highway
On Albany Street at Crosstown Connection (New York State Route 7), on the right when traveling south on Albany Street.
Westward expansion from Hudson Valley started on this road. — Map (db m138055) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The Movable Dam at Lock 8Schenectady/ Erie Canalway Trail
Near Rice Road.
Work began here in Rotterdam in 1908 on Erie Barge Canal Lock 8. In addition to constructing Lock 8, engineers built a three-span moveable dam (about 510 feet wide) that raises boats heading upstream as much as 15 feet when the dam is activated. . . . — Map (db m130555) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The RS-3 Diesel-Electric Locomotive
On Nott Terrace at Nott Terrace Heights, on the left when traveling south on Nott Terrace.
This is an RS-3 diesel-electric locomotive built by Alco in Schenectady as 1 of 1,370 RS-3's from May 1950 through August 1956. This locomotive was designed and used as [a] road switcher. The RS-3 is powered by a 1,600 horsepower twelve . . . — Map (db m135001) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The Site of Schenectady
On Jay Street, on the right when traveling north.
The site of Schenectady was bought of the Indians by Van Curler in 1661 and a patent granted 1690. Union College was chartered in 1795. The city was incorporated in 1798 and in 1831 became the western terminus of the Mohawk and Hudson Railroad. . . . — Map (db m58551) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Thomas Edison Arrived at Schenectady
On State Street (New York State Route 5), on the left when traveling east.
At this site Thomas Edison arrived at Schenectady Aug. 20, 1886 to found his Machine Works which in 1892 became the General Electric Company. — Map (db m4337) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Toll House1820
On Front Street, on the right when traveling east.
Constructed for Dr. Daniel J. Toll, physician — Map (db m128756) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Truax Burial Grounds(700 Ft. NE)
On Kings Road, on the right when traveling east.
Issac Truax and Isaac Jr., two innkeepers on the King’s Highway buried here. — Map (db m127555) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Union College
On Union Street at Nott Terrace, on the right when traveling west on Union Street.
Charter granted 1795. Present North and South College buildings erected 1813-14 from plans by Jacques Ramee — Map (db m127897) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Vale Cemetery
On State Street, on the right when traveling west.
A rural cemetery est. 1857. At rest are early settlers, veterans, notable women, politicians, industrialists, African-Americans, inventors — Map (db m127896) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Vale Cemetery
On North Brandywine Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
A rural cemetery est. 1857. At rest are early settlers, veterans, notable women, politicians, industrialists, African Americans, inventors. — Map (db m135163) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Walnut Grove
On Library Lane, on the right when traveling south.
Walnut grove planted by Eliphalet Nott in the 1820s. One of two groves renewed in 2000 by a gift of James and Jean Underwood — Map (db m135006) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — West College
On Union Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built 1804 on this site by Union College before move to uptown campus in 1814. It became first city hall, then Union Classical School. Union College Bicentennial 1795-1995Map (db m58871) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Whipple Bowstring Truss
Near Lenox Road.
Whipple Bowstring Truss An Example of the First Scientifically Designed Bridge Truss Commemorating the Contributions to Bridge Engineering of Squire Whipple, Class of 1830 A gift from the City of Johnstown, New York . . . — Map (db m32344) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Yates House
On Union Street, on the right when traveling west.
Reputed Oldest House In City. Typical Early 18th Century Home Of Abraham Yates — Map (db m14804) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Abraham Glen House 1730
On Mohawk Avenue (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling west.
Built by Abraham Glen where King's Highway left Mohawk River — Map (db m130329) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Glen-Sanders House, 1713
On Glen Avenue at New York State Route 5, on the right on Glen Avenue.
Glen Sanders house, 1713. Built by Capt. Johannes Glen partly of materials in first Mohawk Valley house built by Alexander Glen, 1655. — Map (db m128755) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — In Commemoration
On Mohawk Avenue (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling west.
of the patriotism of our brothers who went forth at the call of their country to serve in the time of war and in memory of those who died that liberty might live. — Map (db m130330) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Maalwyck
On Mohawk Ave. (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling east.
This House Built Ca. 1712 By Karel Hansel Toll, Who Settled Here 1685. Broom Farm Became an Outpost Of Mohawk Valley Turnpike. — Map (db m95599) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Mohawk Turnpike
On Mohawk Avenue (New York State Route 5) at Glen Ave, on the left when traveling west on Mohawk Avenue.
Colonial highway westward to St. Johnsville known as "King's Highway” military road 1812 — Map (db m128754) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Pre-Columbian Cemetery
On New York State Route 5 at Vleck Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 5.
One-half mile north is a burial place of the mound builders, once occupants of the Mohawk Valley — Map (db m129705) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Robert Allen Deitcher
On Charles Street, on the right when traveling west.
Composer Lived Here 1939- 1945* Scotia HS Grad 1945 Wrote Chances Are, No Not Much, You Are Never Far Away From Me, Home For The Holidays Moments To Remember It's Not For Me To Say — Map (db m51328) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — The Camp1755-1812
On Sanders Avenue at South Ballston Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Sanders Avenue.
American Armies’ camping ground on Mohawk River flats west of Glen-Sanders House — Map (db m130188) HM

147 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement