Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Schoharie County New York Historical Markers

 
Captain Jacob Hager Marker image, Touch for more information
By Howard C. Ohlhous, April 23, 2006
Captain Jacob Hager Marker
New York (Schoharie County), Blenheim — Captain Jacob Hager
Schoharie County Militia October 20, 1775 Served In Schoharie And Mohawk Valleys Throughout The Revolution Commanded Expedition Against Brant Defended Upper Fort Against Sir John Johnson in 1780 Died May 21 1819 Aged 85 Years . . . — Map (db m62729) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Breakabeen — Indian Trail
Keyserkill to Catskill Creek and Hudson River, connecting Hudson, Schoharie, Mohawk, Delaware and Susquehanna valleys and the west. — Map (db m47711) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Carlisle — Burial Place
Hon. John M. Brown 1771-1823 First Historian Schoharie Co. Capt. Thos. Machim, Engineer Under Gen. Washington, And Builder of the Great Chain. — Map (db m90308) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Carlisle — Carlisle Grove Seminary
Site Of ------> Carlisle Grove Seminary Erected 1852. Closed 1865. One of Six Early Boarding Schools in Schoharie County — Map (db m89319) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Central Bridge — Schoharie Junction
Site of SCHOHARIE JUNCTION Schoharie Valley Railroad Reg. Run 1-4-1867 - Last Run 9-17-1942 Length of Railroad - 4.2 Miles Middleburgh & Schoharie Railroad First Run 10-19-1868-Last Run 9-24-1936 Length of Railroad - 5.7 Miles . . . — Map (db m31928) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Central Bridge — Site of Block House
Site of Block House Built 1781 Used by inhabitants during Indian raids — Map (db m8109) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Nicholas Warner
One half mile north of here stood the home of Nicholas Warner burned during the Battle of Cobleskill May 30, 1778. — Map (db m130236) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Rock-House
Rock-House Where Peter Young took his wife for safety when attacked by Indians during the Revolution — Map (db m48403) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Town of Cobleskill

Established March 17, 1797, as one of the six original towns that formed Schoharie County Name was derived from a German Palatine settler, Jacob Kobel. — Map (db m115741) HM

New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — War Memorial — God Bless All Those Who Gave Their Lives

Dedicated to the memory of All Veterans living & deceased who served their country in all wars —————————— Veterans' Memorial "Centre" Park renamed in honor of . . . — Map (db m115802) WM

New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Warnerville Union Literary Seminary
Erected in 1853. One of six early seminaries in Schoharie County — Map (db m130238) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — World Wars Memorial Clock

World Wars I-II

For Those Who Served — Map (db m115803) WM

New York (Schoharie County), Esperance — Methodist Episcopal Church
Inc. March, 1835. Original Church Erected 1836, Present Edifice Built 1868. Rev. S. Coleman, First Pastor. — Map (db m28829) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Esperance — 15 — The Presbyterian Church Esperance, NY — (Old Stone Church) — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
The Presbyterian (Old Stone) Church, Esperance, N.Y. Organized May 2, 1823 Edifice Dedicated July 4, 1824 Sheldon Jackson Received As Member Oct. 2, 1853. Remodeled And Rededicated Jan. 14, 1897 — Map (db m122293) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Fultonham — Here Col. John Harper
At head of local militia routed Capt. MacDonld of Burgoyne's staff with Tories and Indians. Aug. 13, 1777 — Map (db m130268) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Fultonham — The Upper Fort 1777
1777 Commemorating The Upper Fort which stood on the knoll 1966 Ft. S. 50° E. of this marker. Here on Oct. 17th 1780 was fired the first gun which signalled a warning enabling the fort below to prepare for the successful defense against the . . . — Map (db m62412) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Fultonham — Timothy Murphy
Site of Home Timothy Murphy Where He Lived During 1784 And Died June 22, 1818, Age 67; Revolutionary Scout — Map (db m62409) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Gallupville — Becker Stone House
Built 1772 The Tory, Crysler, with a band of Indians gave battle on July 26, 1782 — Map (db m32187) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Gilboa — Gilboa Settlement
Gilboa Settlement ‹—« Cotton Mill 1840-1869, Tannery Church & Cemetery Stood On Ground now Covered by Reservoir Of New York City Water Supply — Map (db m37550) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Howes Cave — Tavern
At Old Central Bridge built in 1831 by Samuel Smith. Mentioned in many old deeds. Later known as "Rich's" Tavern. — Map (db m130271) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Jefferson Academy
1812, one of the first schools of its kind built in Schoharie County by public subscription. Rev. Wm. Salisbury, Principal — Map (db m137527) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Mill Stones
The mill stones were salvaged from ruins of old mill at west end of village by Charles R. Hubbell in 1968. They were donated to the Town of Jefferson by his daughter and husband, Shirley and Carl Anderson in memory of her father Charles R. . . . — Map (db m137630) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Parker 13-Sided Barn
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m50237) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Site of Battle
»→ Between Schoharie militia under Capt. Jacob Hagar of Upper Fort and Indians and Tories under Chief Brant, Nov. 2, 1781. — Map (db m62848) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Town of Jefferson
Founded in 1803, the town was named after Thomas Jefferson, then President of the United States. Except a small portion taken from Harpersfield in Delaware County- the entire town was carved from the town of Blenheim, one of the six . . . — Map (db m137598) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Town of Jefferson War Memorial
This plaque dedicated by the Town of Jefferson as a memorial to honor veterans of all wars — Map (db m137629) WM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Village Green
Stephen Judd in 1817 gave the deed to 108 rods of land to be used as a general training ground and lands for the academy. — Map (db m137597) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburg — Site of Middle Fort — (Fort Defiance)
• 1777• This Boulder Marks The Site East of Which Stood "The Middle Fort" (Fort Defiance) One Of The Bulwarks Of Defence Of The Settlers Of The Schoharie Valley During The Revolutionary Period Erected By Schoharie Chapter . . . — Map (db m50599) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburg — Site of Middle Fort
Site Of Middle Fort Fortified Aug. 13, 1777 To Protect Inhabitants During Invasion of Brant and Johnson — Map (db m50630) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — 1st Reformed Church — Site of
Built 1732. Burned Oct. 17, 1780 by Brant and Johnson — Map (db m130286) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Bouck's Island
Home of William C. Bouck, born 1786-died 1859. Governor of State of New York, 1842-44. — Map (db m130242) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Burial Place
← Timothy Murphy Revolutionary War Hero Gov. William C. Bouck, Gov. N.Y. State 1843, 1844 In Middleburgh Cemetery — Map (db m65688) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Hon. Jonathan Danforth Home
Built 1796. Rev. soldier who aided the establishment of Schoharie Co. Town of Middleburgh, and Loonenburg Turnpike. — Map (db m130288) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Trail
War route of Revolution. Panther Creek to Charlotte and Susquehanna Rivers thence to Niagara. Used by the British invaders Oct. 1780 — Map (db m130263) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Village
Wilder Hook located on the elbow of "Schoharie Creek" — Map (db m132089) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Smoke Generator
Site of the successful test of a smoke screen generator by scientists from G.E., June 24,1942. 50,000 prototypes were used by the military in World War II. — Map (db m130224) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Stone Store
Site of Stone Store. Land purchased by Thomas Danforth from a Livingston. The store built in 1833 was in operation from 1840 to 1930 when a dance hall was added to building. Torn down in 1970. — Map (db m131403) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — The Timothy Murphy Trail — Historic New York
Timothy Murphy was Schoharie County's Revolutionary hero. Owner of one of the first double-barreled rifles, he was a sharpshooter known to the Indians as the magic man whose gun would shoot without reloading. As a member of Morgan's Rifles, Murphy . . . — Map (db m130215) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Vroman's Land
Patent granted Aug. 1714. Many minor engagements early in the Revolution took place near this mountain, Onistagraw. — Map (db m130252) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Weiser's Dorf
First Settlement in Schoharie County founded 1712-13 by John Weiser as a home for Palatines — Map (db m130258) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Blenheim Bridge
Longest single span wooden bridge in world. Built by Blenheim Bridge Company, Incorporated 1828. Last of its kind in this region. — Map (db m46984) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Gen. Freegift Patchin
Fifer in Wadsworth Brigade in Connecticut Militia 1776-1777. Captured by Brant while serving in Captain Alexander Harper’s company of New York militia and prisoner in Canada 1780-82. Brigadier General 1805-14. Member of Assembly from Schoharie . . . — Map (db m132092) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Indian Trail
Westkill to Delaware River and south to Susquehanna River and west. One of many trails giving Iroquois control of large areas. — Map (db m132091) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Manor House
»»———› Manor House Built by John Lansing about 1800. Justice of N.Y. Supreme Court, 1790-1801; Chancellor 1801-14. Owner part of Blenheim Patent. — Map (db m11892) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Old Blenheim Bridge
Erected 1854 - 1855 by Nicholas Montgomery Powers Famous bridge builder Born Pittsford, Vermont, August 30, 1817 Died Clarendon, Vermont, 1897 This bridge, 232 feet in length, the longest covered single-span wooden bridge in the . . . — Map (db m46983) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Old Central Bridge — Birthplace of George Westinghouse
Birthplace Of George Westinghouse 1846 - 1914 Inventor of the Westinghouse Air Brake — Map (db m54617) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Richmondville — Battle of Cobleskill
On May 30, 1778, Joseph Brant with Tories and Indians burned the settlement — Map (db m131060) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Capt. George Rechtmyer
On this site Dwelt Capt. George Rechtmyer defender of Middle Fort October 17, 1780 in command at Ft. Duboise June 3, 1779 — Map (db m130274) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Civil War Nurse
Civil War Nurse Catherine Lawrence 1820 - 1904 Civil War nurse, teacher, missionary, and temperance lecturer. Born in Schoharie, buried in this cemetery. — Map (db m129366) WM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Col. Peter Vroman
Revolutionary War staff and soldiers 15th Regiment Albany County Militia — Map (db m129274) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — David Williams Memorial
Facing Fort Road (Southeast Side): Here rests the remains of David Williams, One of the Captors of Major Andre. Died in Schoharie County August 2nd, 1831 Aged 76 years 6 m's 8 days. He with his . . . — Map (db m52527) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Evangelical Lutheran Church
Built 1853. First communion, August 1854. Tangible evidence of faith passed through the ages. — Map (db m131414) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — George Mann Tory Tavern
George Mann Tory Tavern Known in Revolutionary Days as “The Brick House at the Forks of the Road.” — Map (db m73249) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Hartman's Dorf
Founded 1712 by Hartman Winedecker as a home for Palatines. — Map (db m130285) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Jacob Snyder House
Jacob Snyder House Known in 1802 as "Yankee Pete Tavern" Original Inn Destroyed During Revolution — Map (db m38285) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Johannes Ball — Site of Home of
Occupied by Continental soldiers during Revolution until completion of Old Stone Fort. — Map (db m132085) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Old Stone Fort Museum — Revolutionary War Heritage Trail —
This German Reformed Church (1772) was enclosed by a wooden stockade in 1777 and known as the "Lower Fort." It was attacked by forces under Sir John Johnson and Chief Joseph Brant in October 1780. — Map (db m24733) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Oldest Building
In Schoharie County 1743 Lutheran Parsonage Peter N. Sommers, Dominie First Services Held Sept. 12, 1743 — Map (db m104993) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Revolution in the Mohawk Valley — Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
During the American Revolution, almost half of the military actions in New York State occurred along the strategic corridor of the Mohawk Valley. In 1777 British, Native American and Loyalist battalions attacked from the west and north. Defeats at . . . — Map (db m68007) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Schoharie
Also called Fountaintown. Original Villages of Brunnen Dorf, Smith's Dorf, Fox Dorf. — Map (db m130245) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Schoharie Free Movies
Site of First Known Free Open-Air Motion Picture Presentations Thursday, June 7, 1917 To Sept. And Each Summer Until Sept. 1930 (See Reverse Side) Sponsored By The Schoharie Board Of Trade Reverse Side: Site Of . . . — Map (db m101958) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Simeon Laraway Mill
Site of Simeon Laraway Mill on Mill Brook. Erected 1737. — Map (db m131402) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Site of First School
Site of First School In Schoharie Village Built About 1740 — Map (db m102440) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Stone Church Parsonage
The First Home of Rev. Johannis Schuyler, Pastor of the Old Church Fortress For 31 Years. — Map (db m51311) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Swarts Tavern
Erected about 1772 Duel Between Philip Schuyler 2d and Josiah Clark Fought Back Of Building in 1820 — Map (db m32197) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Throop Drug Store
Established 1800 Oldest Store In County — Map (db m69265) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — War in Schoharie County — Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
During the American Revolution the large wheat farms of the Schoharie Valley supplied the Continental Army, so they were a frequent target of British-allied Loyalists and Iroquois raiding parties. After a Loyalist uprising at the Flockey in 1777, . . . — Map (db m70440) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Camp of Cedar Swamp
July 10, 1781, Tory Captain Dockstader with 500 Indians were routed here by Capt. Willett and Battle of Sharon occurred just west of here — Map (db m116760) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Chestnut Street Schoolhouse — circa 1864-1931
Moved to this location 1989. This sign given in memory of Clarence V. Van Dewerker and his schoolmates by his wife Myrtle Van Dewerker and children Robert and Susan. Clarence was one of the last students to attend the school. Sylvia Somers Lane was . . . — Map (db m131009) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Historic Main Street Tour
Amiel Samson constructed this building circa 1915 to house his grocery store and the First National Bank. He and his family occupied the second floor, which had large spacious rooms and a hall skylight. The grocery store was located in the right . . . — Map (db m131031) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Historic Main Street Tour
Prominent community businessman, Jacob Anthony, constructed the Anthony House in 1857. After an 1860 fire destroyed the enormous hotel, Anthony built the United States Hotel (top left) on the same site the following year. Eighteen years later, in . . . — Map (db m131035) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Historic Main Street Tour
Henry Moyer built the Sharon House (left) in the 1850's. It had wide porches and housed a variety of shops at street level. Later, under the proprietorship of B.P. Sharp & Son, a brochure states: "The Sharon house enjoys the finest location in the . . . — Map (db m131037) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Historic Main Street Tour
Congress Hall was a magnificent hotel built by H.G. Bang around 1860 to rival the successful Pavilion Hotel and sulphur baths. Although not adjoined, the hotel was part of his beautiful park, Magnesia Temple and bathhouses that surrounded John . . . — Map (db m131039) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Rockville — Historic Main Street Tour
The Great Western Turnpike, also known as Route 20, was laid out as early as 1793, but a regular wagon road was not constructed until 1806. Extending from Albany to the western frontier, hotels, taverns and businesses opened along the route to . . . — Map (db m116761) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — The Lehman Block — Historic Main Street Tour
Eugene Lehman made exquisite violins and stringed instruments in this building for forty-two years. He was also a professional violinist and orchestra leader during the 1920's and 1930's. In a Wurlitzer exhibition of 1942, Mr. Lehman's violins . . . — Map (db m116765) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — The Magnesia Temple and Baths — The Historic Main Street Tour
The most unique of the Sharon Springs temples, the elaborate, ornamental and domed Magnesia Temple was an exquisite example of the iron work construction of engineer D.D. Badger of Architectural Iron Works of New York City. It was built in a . . . — Map (db m131040) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — The White Sulphur Spring — Historic Main Street Tour
Belief in the curative powers of sulphur water is central in Sharon Springs’ history. For two centuries the village, its inhabitants, its structures, and its fortunes were tied to and shaped by it. In pursuit of this belief an amazing variety of . . . — Map (db m131011) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Town of Sharon
Originally named Dorlach after Dorlach in German Palatinate. Name changed to Sharon after Sharon, Conn. in 1797 — Map (db m116771) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sloansville — Indian Stone Heap
Site of Indian Stone Heap Known to have existed in 1753. Route taken by Sir John Johnson from Schoharie to Mohawk Valley led past this monument — Map (db m36899) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sloansville — Site Of Encampment
Site Of Encampment Of Joseph Brant, Indians, Sir John Johnson & Regu- Lars, On Oct. 17, 1780 After Raiding Schoharie & Destroying Kniskerns Dorf — Map (db m31945) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sloansville — Sloansville
Settled by Palatines 1750's Named for John R. Sloan, 1798 Indian trail passed here connecting the Schoharie and Mohawk Areas — Map (db m31992) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Summit — Old Toll Gate
On Richmondville Charlotteville Plank Road 1855. — Map (db m50532) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Warnerville — Old Covered Bridge
Old Covered Bridge Built 1850 Destroyed 1886 - On The Richmondville Charlotteville Plank Road. — Map (db m120013) HM
New York (Schoharie County), West Richmondville — Corporal James Tanner
Birthplace of Corporal James Tanner 1844-1927 Enlisted 87th N.Y. Vol. Co C. Wounded Second Battle Bull Run. Present at Lincoln's Death Bed. — Map (db m49604) HM

84 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement