Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Suffolk County New York Historical Markers

253 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 53
 
Amityville Trolley Routes Marker - wide view, with Amityville LIRR station in background image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 28, 2018
Amityville Trolley Routes Marker - wide view, with Amityville LIRR station in background
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Amityville Trolley Routes
Between 1909 and 1920, two trolley lines operated through Amityville. The Cross-Island Line came from Halesite, Huntington to the Amityville docks. The Babylon Railroad line ran from the Amityville Railroad Station to the ferry docks in . . . — Map (db m125959) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Historic Church Bethel A.M.E. Church Founded in Amityville 1815 This building dedicated 1967 — Map (db m133523) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 432 — Brunswick Home
Stephen R. Williams formed 1887 for disabled children and later adults. Became Brunswick Hospital 1931. Building razed 2012. — Map (db m126818) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Cross-Island TrolleyHistoric Site
The Cross-Island Trolley line traveled from Halesite, Huntington to its southern terminus at the Amityville docks, from 1909 to 1919. Trolley passengers could transfer to ferries bound for the barrier beaches. — Map (db m114808) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — First Guided Missile
First Guided Missile September 11, 1916

Here Lawrence B. Sperry first demonstrated to the U.S. Navy the Perry Aerial Torpedo - the first guided missile.

Presented by Sperry Gyroscope Company during 1960, centennial year of . . . — Map (db m114811) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 533 — Ireland's Mill
Purchased in 1793 by Thomas Ireland. Four generations ran saw & grist mill here. Sold feed, grain, hay & ice until ca. 1913. Razed 1915. — Map (db m126763) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 368 — Naomi W. Griffiths
First Amityville suffrage club president, formed 1914. Held local meetings and socials supporting voting rights for women. — Map (db m114716) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 416 — South Side R.R.
Railroad from NYC completed October 1867. First depot erected 1868 for travelers. Local commerce and mail. LIRR assumed line by 1876. — Map (db m126002) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Suffolk County
Organized Nov. 1, 1683 One of the original counties of the Province of New York. Originally East Riding of Yorkshire — Map (db m106733) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon Railroad Company Trolley RouteHistoric Site
. . . — Map (db m64734) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon Town HallOld Town Hall - Town of Babylon History Museum
Built 1917-1918 Seat of town government Until 1957. Served as town and district court house from 1918 to 1979 — Map (db m64733) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon World War I Memorial
Dedicated ★ A.D. 1919 In Honor Of Ralph J. Billingsley • Leroy Johnson Edward Joseph Cockerill • Percy Landwehr Eugene Henry Floyd • Joseph F. Murphy Eugene Matthew Ford • Roland R. Murray John C. Huttle • Arthur Leigh Simrell . . . — Map (db m98881) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon's Heros World War I Memorial
To commemorate the supreme sacrifice made by Babylon's heros Eugene J. Cockerill • Leroy Johnson Charles Duffy • Percy Landwehr Eugene Floyd • Joseph F. Murphy Eugene M. Ford • Roland Murray John Huttle • Arthur L. Simrell . . . — Map (db m98879) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Birth of the American Wireless
This is the site of the birth of the American wireless. A pioneer station here in 1901 first talked with ships at sea.

Guglielmo Marconi — Map (db m122816) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Captain Joel Cook Monument
This monument is erected to honor and perpetuate the memory of Capt. Joel Cook A brave solider who served in the American Army throughout the Revolutionary War, and who also recruited and commanded a company in the . . . — Map (db m108831) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Conklin House
. . . — Map (db m34534) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Porters LandingJuly 6, 1814
On this site American naval hero David Porter landed after escaping from a British Blockade ship. — Map (db m106740) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Robert Moses
Robert Moses, (1888-1981), was responsible for more building than any single person since the pharoahs ruled Egypt. Between 1924 and 1968, Moses was the dominant and sometimes controversial force in the creation of extraordinary public . . . — Map (db m125762) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — 435 — South Side R.R.
First train arrived from Jamaica October 11, 1867. Rail brought NYC visitors spurring resort era boom. LIRR assumed line by 1876. — Map (db m126112) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — 367 — Suffrage Study Club
Local branch organized in 1912 at Alhambra Theatre to debate, discuss and support women's state and national voting rights. — Map (db m114715) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — The Babylon Village Fountain
On Memorial Day, May 31, 1897, the Babylon Women's Exchange presented the Village with an "enduring memorial" to their charitable work. With the last $400 remaining in the treasury, it was decided to purchase a drinking fountain for man and beast. . . . — Map (db m108812) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — The Cuban Giants
Site of Argyle Hotel Birthplace of the famous Cuban Giants First Professional Black Baseball Team 1885 Babylon Village Historic and Preservation Society — Map (db m98897) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Bay ShoreA Historic Community on the Great South Bay
Bay Shore and the surrounding area, were called Penataquit, meaning "crooked creek," by the Secatogue Indians. In 1708, Queen Anne of England validated John Mowbray's purchase of the area from the Secatogues. Mowbray, a tailor and teacher from . . . — Map (db m110955) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Bay Shore 1695
1701 Secatogue Indian land purchased by John Mowbray. Queen Anne granted patent. Known as Awixa, Mechanics- ville and Penataquit. — Map (db m108409) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Dr. George S. King Park
Dedicated on July 27, 1965. Medical doctor and innovator, sailor, author and friend 1878 - 1966 — Map (db m108406) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Still on Patrol
U.S. Navy submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. submarines still on "patrol." Albacore • Amberjack • Argonaut • Barbel • Bonefish • Bullhead • Capelin • Cisco . . . — Map (db m111776) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — The Silent Service
This monument is dedicated to the memory of all those who served their country in the United States Submarine Service and to those who made the supreme sacrifice to preserve American Freedom. Their legacy will live on in future . . . — Map (db m111779) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — The United States Life-Saving Service on Fire IslandHistoric Coasts
Local history of the United States Life-Saving Service (USLSS) dates back to the War of 1812 between the United States of America and Great Britain when William Baker organized the first team of volunteer surfmen to patrol Fire Island looking for . . . — Map (db m112843) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — Bridgehampton Founders Monument
[Side One:] To the memory of the patriotic spirit of the people and sacrificing service of our soldiers and sailors who preserved the union one country and one flag

[Side Two:] 1910 The 250th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m113742) HM WM

New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — Triangular Commons
Training grounds for the militias of eastern Long Island in colonial days, 1649-1776 — Map (db m110959) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — Wick's Tavern
Built in 1686 by John Wick and used by American and British Soldiers during the American Revolution. — Map (db m111020) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Brookhaven — 398 — Ca. 1740 Cemetery
Former burial ground for South Haven Presbyterian Church. Meeting house moved from this site to Brookhaven hamlet 1960. — Map (db m132690) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Suydam House
House built 1730, enlarged 1790 Carpenter shop added in 1840 Purchased in 1988 by the Greenlawn – Centerport Historical Association. — Map (db m42822) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — Methodist
1870 Church & cemetery opened from land donated by G.K. Hubbs. Remodeled in 1939. Closed 1966. Now CI Historical Society Site. — Map (db m114783) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — State Hospital
Opened in 1889, grew from 40 patients to 10,000 by 1954. Inc. nursing school, farm, power & train depots. Closed October 10, 1996. — Map (db m55302) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — State Hospital
Opened in 1889. Grew from 40 Patients to 10,000 by 1954. Inc. nursing school, farm, power & train depots. Closed October 10, 1996 — Map (db m121088) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Cold Spring Harbor Fire Department
Founded 1852 Fire house built 1930 & 1970 — Map (db m42814) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Israel Ketchum
Of Cold Spring Harbor while jailed for counterfeiting revealed a plot to assassinate Washington in June 1776. — Map (db m42813) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Paper Mill
Built by Richard Conklin circa 1782.   Produced fine linen paper.   Site at end of a mill dam and bridge, northerly 250 ft. — Map (db m42816) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Port of Cold Spring
District of New York Last U.S. Custom House circa 1890 – 1913 Reuben Hall Surveyor — Map (db m42815) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — 434 — Wright House
Built 1894 for Captain James Wright. 1843-1923, coastwise trader. Civil War veteran & Town of Huntington constable. — Map (db m127994) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Town of Huntington
First purchase 1653. First school teacher 1657. Gov. Nicolls patent 1666. Gov. Dongan patent 1688. First church building 1686. — Map (db m126774) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Whitman's Hollow
Town of Huntington Whitman's Hollow Sight of muster & training ground for Minutemen before British occupation 1776 - 1783 — Map (db m114681) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — American Warrior (Copiague World War I Memorial)
First Panel: This statue is dedicated to those in uniform who served and continue to serve our country and protect its freedom Second Panel: World War I 1914 - 1918 The U.S. Military was engaged in WW I from . . . — Map (db m99518) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Babylon Railroad Co. Trolley RouteHistoric Site
From 1910 to 1920, an electrified trolley line known as the Babylon Railroad extended from Amityville to Babylon, passing through Copiague along Oak Street to Great Neck Road and then east toward Lindenhurst. — Map (db m106734) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Copiague World War I Immigrant Memorial
World War I. 1917 - 1918 Their adopted country found them ready Affusa, Giacomo. Agresti, Michele. Barcellona, Carlo. Balzola, Giovanni. Ball, Frank. Bernagozzi, Giuseppe. Bogni, Angelo. Boselli, Luigi. Campagnoli, Hugo. . . . — Map (db m99526) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — 270 — Drive-In Theatre
28 acre all-weather drive-in opened here 1957. Cafeteria. Tally-Ho train. Indoor seating & amusement park. One of nation's largest. — Map (db m133221) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Four Chaplains Memorial
Honoring the Four Heroic Chaplains who gave their life jackets so that four soldiers might live. The S.S. Dorchester was torpedoed February 3, 1943. As it sank, the four were seen linked arm in arm, heads uplifted in prayer. [The top panel is . . . — Map (db m98883) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Great Neck Road SchoolHistoric Site
First built as a wooden schoolhouse in 1911, the Great Neck Road School is the oldest elementary school in the Town of Babylon. Brick extensions were added to the original schoolhouse, in 1925, 1931 and 1954, to accommodate Copiague's growing . . . — Map (db m98893) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — 436 — South Side R.R.
Railroad line built 1867 LIRR assumed line by 1876. First depot 1901 named Copiague. Failed attempt to rename Marconiville 1920s. — Map (db m126110) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Central Long IslandHistoric New York
      The first settlers came from New England and in 1653 established Huntington. Settlements spread along the north shore and early in the 18th century to the south shore. Many of the newcomers obtained rights to their land from Wyandanch, a . . . — Map (db m65089) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Central Long IslandHistoric New York
      The first settlers came from New England and in 1653 established Huntington. Settlements spread along the north shore and early in the 18th century to the south shore. Many of the newcomers obtained rights to their land from Wyandanch, a . . . — Map (db m65090) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Long Island Motor Parkway
First concrete limited access highway, built by W. K. Vanderbilt: A. Pardington engineer 1908 - 1910 — Map (db m114682) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Farmingdale — SUNY Farmingdale
Founded 1912 State University of New York College at Farmingdale The oldest public college on Long Island   Established to serve the downstate community — Map (db m133524) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Farmingdale — World War II
The men and women of Republic Aviation built 9,087 P-47 Thunderbolt fighters in E. Farmingdale for the USAAF: 1941-1945 — Map (db m114778) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — First Sheep Fold Site 1684
East Hampton townsmen under care of a shepherd herded earmarked sheep in this common pasturage — Map (db m114782) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Islip — Brookwood Hall
Site of Stellenwerf's Lake House Hotel 1856-1894. Mansion built by H.K. Knapp in 1903. Knapp and Thorne Estates until 1941. Orphan Asylum of Brooklyn 1942-1995. — Map (db m108391) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Islip — Great River Depot
1867-76 Southside RR, LIRR acquired 1880. 1897 Depot built, burned 1943. 1999 EIHS moved shelter to south side. Platform added 2000. Hist. Landmark Preservation cte.Map (db m114704) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — East Northport Library
. . . — Map (db m42845) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — First Larkfield Post Office
Site of first Larkfield Post Office – 1896 in Chester Smith’s Store. Moved across street in 1909. In 1910, it was re-named East Northport. In memory of Frank G. Becher — Map (db m42834) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Hotel Row
In early 1900’s, Leighton’s Hotel was located north of the R.R. tracks. South of the tracks was Larkfield Inn, later known as Mortensen’s Hotel, still later as Powell’s Hotel. In memory of Frank G. Becher — Map (db m42830) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Trolley Stop
Site of Trolley Stop From 1902 until 1924 trollies ran from the East Northport Railroad station to the foot of Main Street in Northport. In memory of Frank G. Becher — Map (db m42824) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Patchogue — 427 — Monorail
Site of Boynton's Bicycle Railroad. Two mile electrified track ran from Hagerman to Great South Bay in 1890s. Dismantled 1904. — Map (db m127595) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Patchogue — Squire Mott Grist Mill
Near this site in 1814, Charles "Squire” Mott constructed a dam at Swan River and put a grist mill on it and, adjacent to it, a home.

Mills like Squire Mott's, and later factories on Patchogue's three streams, established it as . . . — Map (db m132647) HM

New York (Suffolk County), East Patchogue — The Avery Homestead
(right plaque:) Site of a homestead. This is part of land sold by Tobaccus, Sachem of Unkechaug Indians, to Gov. John Winthrop of Connecticut in 1664, extending from Bellport through Bluepoint, from Great South Bay to the middle of the . . . — Map (db m133904) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Abraham Woodhull
Friend and confidant of George Washington. Head of Long Island Secret Service during the Revolution, and operated under the alias of Samuel Culper, Sr. To him and his associates have been credited a large share in the success of the Army of the . . . — Map (db m96628) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Benjamin Tallmadge
. . . — Map (db m53683) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Richard Woodhull
Patentee and first magistrate of Setauket. Born in Thenford, Northhamptonshire, England, 13 September 1620. Died in Setauket, 17 October 1690.Michael Gressel, Sculptor — Map (db m53684) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Roe Tavern
Roe Tavern stood here. 1703 - 1936 Washington spent the night here April 22, 1790. Austin Roe, inn keeper, was one of Washington’s spies. — Map (db m53625) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Selah B. Strong - Kate Strong House
“The Cedars” Built in 1879 by Selah B. Strong. Home of the renowned local historian Miss Kate Wheeler Strong. Frederick Diaper, architect Private home — Map (db m65112) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Zachariah Hawkins
This stone commemorates the life of Zachariah Hawkins Baptized at Charlestown, Mass. Oct. 25, 1639. Died and perhaps buried in this churchyard 1699. He was among early settlers of Setauket, L.I. N.Y. and a prominent citizen. He was an original . . . — Map (db m65209) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Fort Slongo — Battle of Fort Slongo
Battle of Fort Slongo took place near this site on Oct. 3, 1781. American forces defeated British forces holding Fort Slongo. Donated by Ft. Salonga Assoc.Map (db m53621) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Locust Bridge
In the late 1800s a bridge was built from here over West Brook to what was called "Paradise." The bridge provided Mr. Cutting with a direct route to the South Side Sportsmen's Club, where he was a member. The bridge was built with locally cut . . . — Map (db m114734) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Neighbor Across the Way
Across the river from Bayard Cutting Arboretum stands the large red-brick and gray-stone structure that was part of William Kissam Vanderbilt's estate. W. K. Vanderbilt's "Idle Hour," a 110-room, English-style mansion, was designed by Richard . . . — Map (db m114711) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — The Country Home
This magnificent 68-room mansion, called Westbrook, was the country home of William Bayard Cutting (1850-1912) and his beloved wife Olivia (1855-1949). Their main residence was in New York City. W. B. Cutting was an industrialist involved in . . . — Map (db m114708) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Greenport — Fire FighterHas been designated a National Historic Landmark
This vessel possesses national significance in commemorating the History of the United States of America Designed by Naval Architect William Francis Gibbs and built by the United Shipyards of Staten Island in 1938, Fire Fighter . . . — Map (db m114753) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Hampton Bays — Indian PreacherRev. Paul Cuffee
Grave of Rev. Paul Cuffee of the Shinnecock Tribe 1790-1812. Grandson and successor to Rev. Peter John and Samson Occum. — Map (db m36921) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Captured and Missing Americans in South East Asia Memorial
A Living Symbol of Hope Dedicated to the Courage Sacrifice and Loyalty of Captured and Missing Americans in South East Asia

Capt. James P. Mehl, USN · Col. Peter J. Frederick, USAF · Col. John F. O'Grady, USAF · Major Ronald E. . . . — Map (db m121072) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Gold Star Families War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m121032) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Kerry P. Hein Memorial
. . . — Map (db m121061) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Persian Gulf and Middle East Wars Memorial
Dedicated to
The men and women
who served in the Armed Forces
of the United States of America
during The Persian Gulf and
Middle East Wars 1990 -

The Fight For Freedom — Map (db m122574) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Vietnam War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during the Vietnam War 1961-1975

Longest War In U.S. History — Map (db m121346) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Women of the Armed Forces Memorial
Honoring Women of the Armed Forces — Map (db m121030) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — “The Forgotten War”
The Korean War left and enormous legacy that has changed the very course of the world. The struggle not only saved the southern half of the Korean peninsula from Communist despotism, but also set it on the road toward democracy. 54,246 American . . . — Map (db m42847) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Incorporated in 1843 Moved in 1845 to the building called “The Seminary” standing here at that time. — Map (db m53674) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Constitution Oak
Dedicated on the 200th anniversary of New York States ratification of the U.S. Constitution July 26, 1788. — Map (db m53637) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Declaration of Rights
“That every freeman’s property is absolutely his own . . . ” June 21, 1774 — Map (db m43094) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Eastern Purchase
from the Matinecock Indians in 1656, extended originally to the Nissequogue River in Smithtown. — Map (db m53657) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Fort Golgotha
This cemetery Huntington’s First Burial-Place was opened about 1700. Within its limits, in 1782, Fort Golgotha was built and occupied by British troops. Here rest the early town’s patriot dead, soldier and civilian, among them Silas Wood author of . . . — Map (db m42819) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Fort Hill
Near this spot was an outpost fort, built by British troops during the Revolution, 1776 - 1783. — Map (db m42781) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington Village Green1653       1909
On which stood the blockhouse for protection from the Indians. Here the early town meetings were held and Militia drilled in Revolutionary times. — Map (db m53636) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington World War I Memorial
Huntington Township records with pride that more than a thousand of her sons and daughters served in the World War of 1914 – 1918 and here inscribe in grateful remembrance the names of those who gave their lives in that service. Harry Raymond . . . — Map (db m43105) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Kelsey Outrage 1873
Reputed barn where Charles G. Kelsey was tarred and feathered before being murdered by persons unknown. — Map (db m42821) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Nathan Hale
. . . — Map (db m42817) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Nathan Hale
Nathan Hale in everlasting remembrance AD 1897 < Right Side Marker : > His ancestors were the Hales of Kent, England. He was born at Coventry, Conn. June 6, 1755, Graduated from Yale College September 8, 1773, Enlisted as Lieutenant 7th . . . — Map (db m53645) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — North Meadow
Presented in 1938 by Myrta Cannon and Old Huntington Green Incorporated to The Town of Huntington in memory of Henry White Cannon 1850 – 1934 — Map (db m53673) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Old Burial Hill
Vandalized by American Loyalist Benj. Thompson, later Count Rumford to build Fort Golgotha 1782 after hostilities ceased. — Map (db m42818) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Old Huntington Green
Old Huntington Green Historic District Original settlement area Known as the Town Spot, Founded in 1653 — Map (db m53643) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Patriots of Long Island
This monument is dedicated to the Patiots of Long Island who defended Liberty and Independence during the Revolutionary War — Map (db m42846) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Platt’s Tavern
President Washington dined here April 23, 1790. Early town meeting site. — Map (db m53635) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Sewing & Trade School
Building erected 1905 for school established in 1881 to teach sewing; later manual trades, English, math & cooking. National Reg. Hist. Places — Map (db m43097) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Site of Grist Mill
Site of Grist Mill powered by this stream and built for the Rev. Wm. Leverich 1658 — Map (db m53641) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — St. John’s Episcopal Church
Site of St. John’s Episcopal Church and Burial Ground Built 1747. Samuel Seabury Jr. Catechist, 1748 & later First American Bishop 1784 — Map (db m53675) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — 422 — Suffrage Rally
On this site in July 1913 a thousand people witnessed anti and pro suffragists clash over a 1776 wagon used as a symbol of votes for women — Map (db m132685) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Swego
Indian place name for this area. Short for Otswego meaning “Flowing Out” also Op-cat-kon-tycke the “Wading Place Creek”. — Map (db m53659) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — The Osterby House
Large 18th c. house was boarding house for brickyard workers. Site of illegal liquor sales, knife fights, threats and a deadly fire. Current house built 1900. — Map (db m53663) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Thomas Wickes
in 1739 conveyed to his seven neighbors, their heirs and assigns, for 1 pound and 16 shillings, these 3 acres and 88 rods, “To ly open and in common,” forever, the town spot — Map (db m53648) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — "Lady with the Torch"
Louisine W. Havemeyer 1855-1929

Suffragist, feminist, philanthropist wife of Bayberry Point developer, H.O. Havemeyer Financed and actively campaigned for woman's right to vote in New York — Map (db m114717) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Brookville
1880-1915 sparsely settled Also known as "Rabbit Town" Name abolished due to land development & possible confusion W/Nassau Village — Map (db m126896) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Captain James Berry
Capt's home, "Greatest of the light air skippers." Afterguard w/Capt. Haff on Volunteer 1887 & Defender 1895 America's Cup Defenders. — Map (db m111742) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Doxsee Clam Factory
Site of Doxsee Clam Factory 1866 - 1905 — Map (db m114680) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Doxsee Clams
J.H. Doxsee developed unique canning process for clams/ seafood shipped nationwide from factory site 500' west. 1866 - 1905 — Map (db m114765) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools
1924 Main Street School K-12. Motto: "Enter to learn, go forth to serve." Expanded in '28, '48 & '53 Islip Town purchased 1977 — Map (db m106735) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools
Site Islip school buildings c. 1808, 1828 "Little Red", 1854 and 1869 Henry Brewster (1825) and Amos Doxsee (1834) were early teachers here. — Map (db m110986) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools: Monell
Site of 1884 Monell School NYS approved K-12 1897 "Finest school in the county" First in cty. to est. school bank plan / business courses — Map (db m113841) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — First Town Hall
1869-1907 called "Union Hall" First town meeting Apr 1870 Chas. Gillette, Supervisor Early Meridian Lodge 691 Meeting Place. — Map (db m113745) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Gibb Patent
Islip Hamlet land Grant by British rulers William and Mary to Andrew Gibb in 1692 Associate of Wm. Nichol and Leisler Rebellion Foe. — Map (db m108390) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Historic South Bay Avenue
Composed of substantial houses of interesting architectural variety, including two different spanish styles of the 1920s, Some in Queen Anne Victorian vernacular, some in Colonial revival and one in English half-timber Style. Two early houses were . . . — Map (db m111768) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Historic Union Avenue
Includes both sides of Union Avenue from Main Street to Raymond Street. The area consists of 19 houses and the Islip Public Library. #54 is particularly noteworthy with many original and unique Queen Anne features and sawn decoration on rafter ends. . . . — Map (db m111769) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Airport
400' west of this site, 1st municipal airport on L.I. Amelia Earhart/C. Chamberlin attended opening 8-4-28 Pres. C. Lawrence 1928-45 — Map (db m126902) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Beach
Estate of H O Havemayer donated land to town for park 10/27/1924. L P Weeks enlarged gift. KIC/OSICA /Town restored 1992. — Map (db m110987) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Crowd
America's Cup defenders Islip Hamlet 1881-1983, Capts: N & J Clock, the Haffs, L Jeffrey, J Berry Crew: R Boyd & T Raynor — Map (db m111153) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Depot
South Side Railroad 1867- 1876. LIRR acquired 1880. 2nd track 1908. Station house south side 1868 north 1963. Restored 1997. — Map (db m126904) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Manor
1920's housing deve. north east Moffitt Blvd & Rte 111 w/100s trademark capes by Wolpert Realty Co. Advert. as German ethnic enclave — Map (db m126903) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Veterans Memorial
[The memorial consists of three bronze tablets mounted to a large backing stone, along with three stone monuments lined up across the base.]

[Top center tablet:]

1917 · 1918 In honor of those who served their country . . . — Map (db m112030) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Log House
Approx site of early store Owned John Douglas 1780- 1816 & Luther Loper 1817-1826 Used for annual town board meeting. — Map (db m108404) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Methodist Church
Methodist Orig. church Saxon Ave. 1828. 1st church this site 1866. Sanctuary enlarged 1896 and redesigned in 1946. Church school building added 1889. — Map (db m106738) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Islip parish org. 1857. 1st chapel 1852 now south of single spire church 1869. Manse blt. 1895. Robert L. Maitland, major benefactor. — Map (db m106743) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — St. Mark's
Episcopal parish org. 1847. Church & rectory built 1880. Norwegian stave design Richard M. Hunt, Architect W.K. Vanderbilt, donor — Map (db m114817) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — The Old Mill
Site of paper mill built by Ebenezer Hawkins around 1820 and demolished in 1909 when the property was sold to W.H. Moffitt — Map (db m108489) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Third Town Hall
1931 property & hall $300k incl. jail, court, WPA. 1st board mtg. 1/2/1932. Supervisor Davis. Renovated 1955. East/West wings 1969. — Map (db m110962) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Whale Shark
Largest in North America 31'5". Captured off F.I. by Schaper Bros, Islip 8/9/1935. On display at W.K. Vanderbilt Museum. — Map (db m110931) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Willow Brook
Race track (1907-1915) W H Moffitt, pres. dev. for $40,000. 'Finest (horse) track in Suffolk County' Entrance Maddox Ave. — Map (db m111030) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Lake Ronkonkoma — 17 — Indian PrincessLegends & Lore
of Lake Ronkonkoma. Legend says she claims one male each year by drowning to be with her at bottom of lake as she seeks her true love. — Map (db m126916) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Lake Ronkonkoma — 439 — L.I. Motor Parkway1908-1938
Early road built exclusively for automobiles eastern terminus completed in 1911 to Ronkonkoma Lake — Map (db m127592) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Lake Ronkonkoma — The Lake of Haunting Mystery
Lake Ronkonkoma was once home to four Native American tribes known as the Nissequogues, Setaukets, Secatogues, and Unkechaugs. The term "Ronkonkomack" is translated according to the Algonquin language "Boundary Fishing Place" which is understood as . . . — Map (db m126947) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Lake Ronkonkoma — 4 — World War II Memorial TreeHistoric Landmarks of Lake Ronkonkoma
By proclamation: The "WWII Memorial Tree” stands in honor on the former Girardet property corner. Planted By Commodore Bunny Gubner circa 1945. It memoralized ENS David Girardet USN, and all WWII Veterans living in Lake Ronkonkoma. Stand . . . — Map (db m126826) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Lindenhurst — 426 — City of Breslau
German-American town formed by Abby & Thomas Wellwood with Charles S. Schleier. Dedicated on June 6, 1870. Changed to Lindenhurst 1891. — Map (db m125920) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Lindenhurst — Lindenhurst Memorial Village Hall Korean and Vietnam War Veterans Memorial
Lindenhurst Memorial Village Hall
Rededicated on Memorial Day, 1983 in honor of all veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, and especially those Lindenhurst residents, who gave their lives in Korea and Vietnam: Korea Adam J. Muller . . . — Map (db m99530) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Lindenhurst — Lindenhurst War Memorial
In honor and memory of these men who gave their lives in mortal combat with enemies of our country

Edward J. Krotz, Jr.   Normandy Michael E. Davis     Plei Me Thomas Poldino     Dau Tieng — Map (db m122819) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Lindenhurst — Lindenhurst World War I Memorial
Lindenhurst Honor Roll 1917 - World War - 1918 Appoldt, Charles • Argust, Benjamin J. • Argust, Thomas B. • Austin, Herbert • Bassler, Frederick A. • Becher, Julius A • Becht, Emil • Becht, Frederick W. • Becht, William F. • Beck, . . . — Map (db m106320) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Lindenhurst — 415 — South Side R.R.
Railroad established 1867. Originally Welwood Station. Renamed Breslau 1870. Adopted Lindenhurst 1891. LIRR assumed line by 1876. — Map (db m126090) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Mastic — 516 — Mastic Station
The Forge station of the Long Island Railroad stood here. Est. 1882. Renamed Mastic in 1892. Closed 1960 and later razed. — Map (db m132658) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Mastic — 265 — Poospatuck Res.
Unkechaug Indian Nation recognized by State of New York 1777. Located 1 mile south at Forge River & Poospatuck Creek. — Map (db m128016) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Mastic Beach — 342 — Pattersquas
Site of Richard FLoyd IV estate from 1760 to 1784 opened as Bayview Hospital in 1947, closed 1982 destroyed by fire 1986 — Map (db m128001) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Nissequogue — Nissequogue School
Built 1808 - Subscribers

James Smith · Ebenezer Smith · Thomas Smith · Richard Smith · Peter Jayne · Woodhull Smith · Micah Smith · Nicholas Smith — Map (db m126779) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Nissequogue — Original Settlement of Smithtown
Near this site the original settlement of Smithtown was established in 1665 including the homestead of Richard Smythe, the patentee, and the First Presbyterian Church founded in 1675. — Map (db m126866) HM
New York (Suffolk County), North Amityville — Bethel A.M.E. Church
The original site of the Bethel A.M.E. Church Organized in 1815 by Black and Native Americans of Amityville — Map (db m133220) HM
New York (Suffolk County), North Amityville — 269 — Ronek Park
Honored as a non-discriminatory housing development started by Thomas Romano in 1950. A part of the local housing boom after World War II. — Map (db m133219) HM
New York (Suffolk County), North Babylon — Deer Park Avenue Elementary School
Built 1932 - Oldest existing school in North Babylon. Stood as an educational foundation and centerpiece of the community. — Map (db m110875) HM
New York (Suffolk County), North Babylon — North Babylon Veteran's Memorial
Dedicated to the men of North Babylon for their supreme sacrifice for their country Kraft, Edward Jr. / Navy - World War II • Conners, Harold / Marine - Korea Baldwin, Peter / Army - Vietnam • Datena, Vincent / Army - Vietnam De Lucia, Pat . . . — Map (db m110923) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Northport — Joseph Buffet
Killed near this spot in 1781 trying to regain his cattle & sheep from a British raiding party re- turning to Huntington. — Map (db m42776) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Northville — Battles of Penny’s and Luce’s Landing1814 - 1926
At Penny’s Landing Farmers and Militia prevented the capture of Sloop Nancy by British Man of War Sylph. At Luce’s Landing Revenue Cutter Nathan Hale was captured by British Frigate after a valiant defense for three days by its . . . — Map (db m20012) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Oakdale — Corporal Francis V. Todarello
Dedicated to the men and women of Oakdale who served their nation in war and peace and in living memory of Corporal Francis V. Todarello United States Army 1947-1968 Corporal Todarello, an Oakdale resident, . . . — Map (db m108297) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Orient — 1 — Mile Marker #30Legend & Lore
According to local legend, Postmaster General Benjamin Franklin set milestones in 1755 that mark the Post Road from here to Riverhead — Map (db m129079) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Orient — Poquatuck Park
Four acre tract of land acquired by a group of Orient's citizens and presented to the Oysterponds Historical Society in 1955. On this site many Indian artifacts have been found, indicative that it was one of their campsites. Poquatuck was the . . . — Map (db m114767) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Orient — The Methodist Church
Built in 1835 under its first resident pastor, Rev. Samuel King, on land donated by Thomas Vincent Young. Earlier pioneers of Orient Methodism met together regularly for classes conducted by itinerant circuit riders as early as 1802. — Map (db m114764) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Orient — Webb House
Originally the Inn of Lt. Constant Booth built circa 1740 on Sterling Creek in the Village of Sterling (Greenport). Moved about 1810 to North Road and became home of Orange Webb. Later acquired by George R. Latham and again moved in 1955 to . . . — Map (db m114766) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Patchogue — Hart's Tavern
President George Washington dined here April 22, 1790 on his tour of Long Island. — Map (db m134257) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Patchogue — Site of Hart's Tavern
Visited by George Washington 1790 — Map (db m134258) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Patchogue — The Lace Mill
In 1880, eight men from England came To start a lace mill and in 1889 the American Lace & Manufacturing Co. began. In 1918 it merged with Plymouth Mills Corp. At its peak the mill employed 1,000 people and produced some of the nation's finest . . . — Map (db m132644) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Patchogue — The Wreck of the Louis V. Place
On February 8, 1895, the Louis V. Place, a 163 foot three masted schooner, succumbed to wild weather and freezing temperatures while transporting coal from Baltimore to New York. The pounding snow and relentless waves immobilized the vessel, and . . . — Map (db m134070) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Patchogue — The Wreck of the Nahum Chapin
The Nahum Chapin was a 145 foot three -masted schooner built in Rockland, Maine in 1882. On January 2, 1897, while on its way from Baltimore to Boston with a cargo of coal the ship ran aground due to a fierce winter storm just off the coastline . . . — Map (db m134067) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson — Bayles Chandlery
The Bayles Chandlery on the Bayles Shipyard provided provisions and supplies for coastal schooners and merchant vessels during the era of wooden ships. Its large upstairs room served as the informal community center in early Port Jefferson. . . . — Map (db m114738) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson — Delivered Afloat in the Harbor
Every contract for every vessel built in Port Jefferson stated that the ship was to be "Delivered Afloat in the Harbor." In the early days, Port Jefferson had several shipyards surrounding the harbor including the Bayles, Hawkins, Darling, and . . . — Map (db m114740) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson — First Baptist Church of Port JeffersonCirca 1855
The church was built by Congregationalists and sold to the Baptists in 1861. The steeple was a landmark for captains looking for the customs house located in front of the church from the mid to late 1800's. Information courtesy PJ Historical . . . — Map (db m63487) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson — The Anchor of Our Community
The Admiralty anchor in the turnaround behind you is symbolic of the Port Jefferson Village Center, which is the anchor of our community. The iron anchor was found by the / RV (Research Vessel) Seawolf while trawling in an area south of . . . — Map (db m114739) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson — Well-Worn Ways
When a vessel was launched, it slid down the rails of the "well-worn ways." The rails in the pathway on either side of you were once part of the "ways" and were uncovered in 2007 while building Harborfront Park. From 1836 to 1917, over 140 ships . . . — Map (db m114748) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson Station — 433 — Bicycle Path
Known as Cross Island Cycle Path in 1887, built exclusively for bicycle travel. Popular pastime enjoyed by both women and men. — Map (db m132680) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Port Jefferson Station — 441 — Harness Track
Gentlemen's driving park. Victorian era harness racing track opened here ca. 1882. Famed horse "Echo" raced this half-mile oval. — Map (db m132681) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Ronkonkoma — 413 — 1884 Church Site
First St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church built in only 1-1/2 months. Dedicated by Bishop John Loughlin on June 22, 1884. — Map (db m132683) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Alvin Building
This is the site of the Alvin Silver Co., producers of distinctive flatware and holloware. Along with the Watchcase Factory, Alvin was the Village's stalwart employer from 1911 to January 1, 1925 when the handsome structure was gutted on . . . — Map (db m133166) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — American Revolution Veterans Memorial
Plaque: In memory of the veterans of the War of the American Revolution buried at this site ————————————— Dedicated by the D.A.R. Southampton . . . — Map (db m134289) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Atheneum
This is original site of the Atheneum, as well as the Old Barn Church, Sag Harbor's first place of worship and town hall. A second church was built here by Presbyterians in 1817, finally replaced by the Whalers Church in 1844. The structure was . . . — Map (db m132648) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Burial Ground
St. David AME Zion Cemetery ca 1857. Final Resting place of early settlers. African Americans, Native Americans and European Ancestry. — Map (db m133065) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — David Frothingham
Publisher of Long Island's first newspaper, Frothingham's Long-Island Herald, 1791-1798, lived and printed at this site. — Map (db m133126) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Duke Fordham's Inn
Here stood Duke Fordham's Inn, destroyed by the fire of 1845; here James Fenimore Cooper penned his first novel, Precaution, while awaiting the return of the whaleship Union, in which he owned shares along with his uncle, . . . — Map (db m133473) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — East Water Street
In Whaling's heyday - 1800-1850 - East Water Street (now Bay Street) bustled with warehouses, coopers and shipyards; ropewalks for producing ships' riggings, tryworks for boiling down whale blubber into oil for lighting and lubricating; storehouses . . . — Map (db m133170) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — First Custom House
First Custom House in First District of New York State Act passed by First Congress making Sag Harbor Port of Entry, approved Aug. 4, 1790 — Map (db m133474) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Handcut Millstone
from the old windmill near Long Wharf, Sag Harbor, N.Y. 1810 used for grinding grain into flour — Map (db m133558) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — John Jermain's Mill
Near here is the site of John Jermain's Mill, constructed in 1793 - powered by a ditch dredged from ponds farther uphill, in an effort to make Otter Pond commercially profitable. The Mill failed, as did other attempts to commercialize the . . . — Map (db m133169) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — John Steinbeck
The Old Whalers Festival, Inc. of Sag Harbor dedicate this plaque to the memory of John Steinbeck noted author, Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winner, who gave so willingly of his time and great talent as honorary chairman of the . . . — Map (db m133815) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter Memorial
The Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter Veterans' Memorial Bridge

May 7, 2008   State of New York   Senate Assembly

"The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assembly do enact as follows: To recognize the ultimate . . . — Map (db m133399) HM WM

New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Ligonee
Ligonee Brook/Creek and the Greenbelt's rare coastal plain ponds are partners in the drainage system left by the glaciers. Historically, alewives and eels have migrated up Ligonee to Long Pond. In 1803, the Sag Harbor Fire . . . — Map (db m132649) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Long Wharf
was the scene of great whaling activity. It was built in 1770 and was crowded with refugees to Connecticut in 1776. — Map (db m133538) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — 387 — M. Olivia Sage
Summer home from 1908-1918. Teacher, philanthropist and advocate for women's rights. Founded Russell Sage College and Russell Sage Foundation. — Map (db m127993) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Meigs' Expedition
May 23, 1777 130 colonials landed here destroyed British shipping at Sag Harbor, captured 90 prisoners and reembarked — Map (db m133330) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Meigs Monument
A British Fort near this spot was captured by the Americans under Lieut. Col. Meigs at the Battle of Sag Harbor May 23, 1777 — Map (db m133656) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Old Whalers' Church
First Presbyterian Church Old Whalers' Originated 1766 has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1994 National Park . . . — Map (db m134310) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Peter's Green
At the turn of the 19th Century this was a busy place Peter's Green, with Peter Hildreth's spider-legged mill grinding grain into flour, Samuel L. Hommedieu's ropewalk, where workers walked twisting yarn into riggings and cables, and . . . — Map (db m133168) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Sag Harbor Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial
This memorial is to honor the men and women of Sag Harbor who served in the Vietnam and Korean Wars — Map (db m133843) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Sag Harbor Whalers Memorial
(First panel:)

John E. Howell, born March 2, 1813, died July 23, 1840, while engaged in the whale fishery in the Pacific Ocean, in command of the ship France. He lost his life in an encounter with a sperm whale in the 28th . . . — Map (db m134793) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Sag Harbor World War I Memorial
In honor of the men of Sag Harbor who served in the Great War and in memory of those who gave their lives

Alioto, Vincent · Archibald, Jerome F. · Avery, Charles E. · (remaining 300+ names not transcribed)

Map (db m133856) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Sag Harbor World War II Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women of Sag Harbor who served our country in World War II

Adam, John · Adam, William F., Jr. · Aldrich, John · Aldrich, Robert · Alexander, Bernard · Alippo, Paul · Anderson, Edward · . . . — Map (db m133855) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — Suzan Johnson Cook
In honor of Her Excellency Suzan Johnson Cook... The first African American and the first woman to be appointed Us Ambassador at Large for International Religious Freedom. — Map (db m133172) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — The Breakwater
The Cormaria Retreat House was built by Frank C. Havens for his summer home. In 1902, Havens secured funds from the US Congress to build the Breakwater. Replaced in 2003, the Breakwater continues to protect the harbor from northeast storms. In . . . — Map (db m133147) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — The Fort at Sag Harbor
Upon this hill, during the war of 1812 stood an American fort under the command of Major John Jermain and manned by the ranks of the Fourth Regiment of the New York Artillery, tt protected the port of Sag Harbor from foreign invaders.

In . . . — Map (db m133324) HM WM

New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — The French House
1798 Built by John Hulbert 1870 Stephen B. French NYC Police President 1881 Pres. C. A. Arthur 1884 Summer Retreat — Map (db m133557) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — The Old Burying Ground
Although adjoining the Presbyterian Church, the Old Burying Ground was a village cemetery, with the first burials the infant children of Tory Innkeeper, James Howell. They were buried in 1767 in unmarked graves. Used for about 100 years, the . . . — Map (db m134943) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Sag Harbor — The Point House
The Point House
Built in 1804 by John Payne, Jr. His son Charles W. Payne, Master of the ship "Fanny", died at sea in 1838. The Broken Mast Monument in Oakland Cemetery bears his name. — Map (db m133174) HM

253 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 53
Paid Advertisement