Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County New York Historical Markers

 
Allen Cabin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Virginia McGreevy, August 16, 2012
Allen Cabin Marker
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Allen Cabin
The log cabin where all six of the Allen family and three slaves were killed, July 26,1777 by Leloup and his Indians was north of here. — Map (db m58513) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Kilmer Mill
Built short distance West of here before Revolution. First settlement in Argyle Village and first grist mill within forty miles. — Map (db m58533) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — South Argyle United Presbyterian Church1785 - 1935
First Pastor Rev. Thomas Beveredge First Elders John McNeil John McKnight William Reid First Trustees Casper Bain William Robertson Robert Robertson David McKnight John Reid John Harsha Building is situated on the 160 acres deeded to the above . . . — Map (db m58529) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Stone Arch Bridge
Reconstructured 1870 over original stone bridge — Map (db m129535) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — The Family of John Allen
Nine persons were massacred about 100 yards east of here by a band of Indians attached to Burgoyne's army July 25,1777. The Cairn marks their burial place. — Map (db m58512) HM
New York (Washington County), Battenville — Battenville
Early home of Susan B. Anthony 1832-1839 — Map (db m131660) HM
New York (Washington County), Buskirk — Buskirk's Red Covered Bridge
Buskirk's Red Covered Bridge Rehabilitated in 2004.Built Circa 1850 to Replace A Previous Bridge Built in 1804. This Crossing Served The Great Northern Turnpike Beginning In 1799. — Map (db m13751) HM
New York (Washington County), Buskirk — Reformed Dutch Church at Tiossiook
Organized May 2, 1792. Present building erected 1823. First pastor Rev. S. Smith — Map (db m132507) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Cambridge War MemorialsHonor Roll
In honor of the men and women who served their country in the 1917 - World War - 1919 names were not transcribedMap (db m133764) WM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Checkered House
Site of the Checkered House built by James Cowden 1765. Baum's headquarters Aug. 13,1777 Continental hospital Aug.18,1777 — Map (db m58514) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Continental RoadDi- On- On- Da- Wa- Ha Trail
Col. Baum's route from Ft. Miller to Bennington August 14,1777 — Map (db m58515) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — First Church in Cambridge Patent
Site of first church in Cambridge Patent Building started 1775 interrupted by Revolution Completed 1783 — Map (db m58517) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Great Northern War Trailc. 1650-1700
Over which Indians led New England captives to Canada during Indian Wars. — Map (db m88579) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Old TurnpikeGrave- Yard 1756
Buried here are 40 Revolutionary soldiers and veterans of other wars. — Map (db m58518) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Old White Church Cemetery
Twenty Revolutionary War soldiers rest here — Map (db m129214) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Sergeant Frederick W. Mausert, IIIB-1-7 United States Marine Corps — Medal of Honor —
For conspicuous gallantry at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as squad leader in the 1st Marine Division in action in Korea 12 September, 1951 with his company pinned down under murderous fire, Sergeant Mausert . . . — Map (db m132511) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Site of Skirmish
Site of Skirmish between Hessian troops and Cambridge settlers. Several patriots were taken prisoners, Aug. 15, 1777 — Map (db m58521) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Whiteside Church
Erected 1800 by community. Whiteside families Large Conors. Rebuilt 1825 — Map (db m58526) HM
New York (Washington County), Eagle Bridge — Homestead of Grandma Moses
Homestead of Grandma Moses Anna Mary Robertson Moses 1860 - 1961 World Renowned Painter of Rural Life — Map (db m37188) HM
New York (Washington County), Eagle Bridge — Site of British Encampment
August 13, 1777 Col. Baum's forces camped here — Map (db m129396) HM
New York (Washington County), Easton — Friends Log Meeting House
Surrounded by Burgoyne's Indian allies in 1777 but finding Friends unarmed stacked arms and attended meeting peaceably. — Map (db m58511) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Fort Ann War Memorial / Henry Sartwell / Lester Archer
in grateful tribute to the men and women of the Town of Fort Ann who fought to defend our eternal freedoms. — Map (db m136559) WM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Fort Anne
On July 8, 1777, Patriot forces slowed advancing British forces and helped assure victory at Saratoga. — Map (db m137866) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Fort Anne First Baptist Church
Site of the First Baptist Church of Fort Anne Village. Erected 1874, destroyed by fire 1955. This fragment of the bell which rang also as the town clock bears date of purchase. — Map (db m19854) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Great Indian Warpath
Lake Champlain to Hudson River 1609 - 1777 — Map (db m58177) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Old Powder House Fort Ann
Old Powder House used during French and Indian Wars and Revolutionary War. — Map (db m58088) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Battle Hill
At this pass was fought the Battle of Fort Anne July 8 – 1777 Here Burgoyne was first checked in his victorious march by a fierce all day battle with the Americans which delayed the British and made possible their defeat at Saratoga. . . . — Map (db m89662) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Fort Anne"Gateway to North"
Here stood five forts 1680 – 1777 on route between Lake Champlain & Hudson River. — Map (db m59959) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Frank A. MooreMemorial Highway
Dedicated to the memory of Frank A. Moore 1905-1978. A member of Washngton County Board of Supervisors for 32 years he served on the Highway Committee for 24 years, 11 of those as chairman. His great interest and efforts were directed . . . — Map (db m136541) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Half-Way Creek
Used in French and Indian & Revolutionary Wars for transport of supplies. — Map (db m58086) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Old Stone House Library
The Old Stone House Library has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89708) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Old Well
Used in Fort site. Built before the Revolutionary War by Queen Anne of England. — Map (db m58087) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Duer House
¼ M. → Duer House British Headquarters Aug. 14 – Sept. 10, 1777 — Map (db m56876) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Edward1755
Great Carrying Place Fort Nicholson 1709 Fort Lydius 1731 Fort Lyman 1755 — Map (db m9270) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Edward War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those who have served in the wars engaged in by the United States and especially those who gave their lives. — Map (db m133995) WM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Miller
On the opposite side of the river Fort Miller built during French and Indian War. — Map (db m9297) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — NY-11½ — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9785) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — NY-11 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of . . . — Map (db m56843) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Gen. Schuyler's Intrenchments
Headquarters of American Army after evacuation of Fort Edward July 1777 — Map (db m58077) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Gen. Washington
In the summer of 1783. General George Washington was in the township of Kingsbury, while on a tour of northern battlefields. — Map (db m9342) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Gen. Washington
In the summer of 1783, General George Washington was a guest here at Sherwood’s House or Tavern, while on a tour of area battlefields. — Map (db m9348) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Jane McCrea
Killed on 27 July 1777, a short distance to the south of this spot. Her death helped to defeat General Burgoyne at Saratoga. — Map (db m9235) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Jane McCrea
← Original burial place of Jane McCrea July 28, 1777 — Map (db m19743) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Jane McCreaFort Edward, NY — July 27th, 1777 —
Jane McCrea was a Fort Edward area resident in 1777 during the Saratoga Campaign. With the approach of the British army, Jane’s brother, Colonel John McCrea a supporter of the Patriot cause, evacuated his farm on the West bank of the Hudson River, . . . — Map (db m134108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Judge William Duer
→ Site of home Judge William Duer statesman and patriot — Map (db m56878) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Major Robert Rogers
Founder and Commanding Officer of Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War. Author, in October of 1757 on this site, of the Rules of Ranging, which have been in use by the U.S. Army since that time. Rogers' Rangers Standing . . . — Map (db m18108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Memorial to Jane McCrea
Memorial to Jane McCrea massacred near this spot by the Indians July 27, 1777. Erected by the Jane McCrea Chapter, D.A.R. 1901 — Map (db m9237) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Northeast Bastion
Near here was Northeast Bastion part of outworks Fort Edward 1755 — Map (db m9271) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Fort Edward
This boulder marks the site of Old Fort Edward 1755 – 1780 Erected by the Jane McCrea Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1914 — Map (db m9266) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Fort House Museum
This 1772 residence hosted Generals Schuyler, Washington, and Arnold. It also served as a courthouse and a tavern. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m11762) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Military Road
Below here Old Military Road ran diagonally up this hill 1755 – 1777 — Map (db m15693) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Moat
Remains of Old Moat part of outworks Fort Edward 1755 — Map (db m9346) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Progenitors of Independence
This monument is dedicated to the members of the British expeditionary forces stationed at Fort Edward and Rogers Island during the French and Indian Wars. 1755 - 1763 -Progenitors of Independence- — Map (db m17793) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island
Bivouac Area Major Robert Rogers and his ten Ranger Companies during the French and Indian Wars 1755 - 1759 Site of Fort Nicholson           1709 Fort Lydius                 1731 Fort Lyman           . . . — Map (db m17776) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island - Fort Edward, NYThe Flood of 1913 & Concrete Barges
The Hudson River several times threatened the existence of our community - floods occurred in 1833, 1843, 1869, 1893, and 1913. During the 1893 flood the lower part of the Island washed away. The flood in the spring of 1913 was the most . . . — Map (db m134609) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island - Fort Edward, NYA History of the Island
”The Island has had many names – Great Island, Munro’s Island, Roger’s Island, Freeman’s Island and others.” Narratives of Old Fort Edward, Anne E. Brislin. Again known as Rogers Island, the Island has a long and . . . — Map (db m134628) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island -- Fort Edward, NYRogers' Rangers
"These volunteers I formed into a company by themselves, and took the more immediate command and management of them to myself; and for their benefit and instruction reduced into writing the following rules or plan of discipline, which, on various . . . — Map (db m134563) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Sixteen Soldiers
This monument is erected to commemorate the sacrifice of the lives of Sixteen Soldiers who were massacred July, 1758, by a band of hostile Indians in the park which was then only a path in the wilderness. The sixteen soldiers, with a teamster, a . . . — Map (db m9341) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Smyth House
Erected by Patrick Smyth about 1767 of timber taken from Fort Edward. The first tavern and scene of the first court in Charlotte County. Headquarters of Schuyler – Arnold – Burgoyne – Stark – 1777. Oldest house in . . . — Map (db m9357) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Grave of Duncan Campbell & Jane McCrea
The Grave of Duncan Campbell & Jane McCrea are just within and to the left of this gateway. — Map (db m9343) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort EdwardPresent Day
Historically, the Hudson River has proven to be a valuable source of power for manufacturing purposes. The General Electric Company (GE) established a manufacturing plant, which originally produced parts for World war II bombers. After the war, the . . . — Map (db m134179) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort EdwardNative Americans
Archaeological excavations in the Fort Edward region have shown that Native Americans have lived here for at least 8,000 years, and probably as long as 11,000-12,000 years. The Hudson River, as well as several lakes and streams in the area supplied . . . — Map (db m134456) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort Edward, NYIndustrial Growth
The natural features of the Hudson River, especially its falls, are largely responsible for the region’s industrial development. In 1765, Albert Baker settled along this part of the river and created the area’s first water-powered mill. Iron . . . — Map (db m134633) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort Edward, NYThe Colonial and Revolutionary Periods
The area on the Hudson River which is now known as Fort Edward was once positioned between the British Colonies to the south, and the colonies of New France to the north. In the mid-eighteenth century, tensions between the British and French were . . . — Map (db m134641) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort Edward, NYEuropean Encounter
The European exploration of the Hudson River began in 1609 as Henry Hudson, an Englishman, sailed north to Albany and beyond. Working for the Dutch East India Company, Hudson sought a northern passage to India and while he was unsuccessful, the . . . — Map (db m134642) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Island
Barracks     Hospital Brick – kiln 1755 — Map (db m19856) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Patt Smyth House
Fort Edward lay on the shipping route between New York City and Canada via the Hudson River and Lakes George and Champlain. The British colonial government fortified it in 1755 during the French and Indian War. Patt Smyth came to oversee the fort in . . . — Map (db m11764) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Bishops CornersGranville Village — 1780-1980 —
The Village of Granville, incorporated in 1885, traces its roots to "Bishops Corners”, a pioneer settlement begun here in 1780 by John Champion Bishop, his wife Abigail Reynolds, and their children. The Bishops purchased 2,000 acres within . . . — Map (db m131723) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Erected 1789
The first congregational church in the Town of Granville — Map (db m131725) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Friends Meeting House
Erected 1806 beside church site of log school. House of Friends later a district school. — Map (db m131742) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Granville Veterans Memorial Park
Dedicated to all those who served their country honorably in time of need est 1964 — Map (db m131707) WM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Village of Granville
Settled in the 1780’s. Incorporated 1885. A center for agriculture and slate operations with a diversity of ethnic cultures — Map (db m131704) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — 220 — Baum Encampment
On August 11, 1777, German Lt. Col. Friedrich Baum and his troops camped here by two houses opposite the estate of Gen. Schuyler — Map (db m133073) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Breastworks of General Fellows
Facing Burgoyne's camp across the River — Map (db m58510) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — British Army Camp
Site of British Army camp before crossing Hudson. Later occupied by General Fellows' Continentals — Map (db m58082) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Captain Furnival's Battery
Site of Captain Furnival's Battery Commanding Marshall house and river crossing. N.Y. State Historical marker 1927 — Map (db m58084) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Gen. Washington
In the summer of 1783, General George Washington was in the township of Greenwich, while on a tour of northern battlefields. — Map (db m19742) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — In Memory Of
A.M. Cook Post 326 G.A.R. Greenwich, N.Y. And all Resident Veterans Of the Civil War — Map (db m131684) WM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Old Continental Road
Over which a detachment of Burgonye’s army under Col. Baum passed on its way to Bennington, VT Aug. 13, 1777. — Map (db m132512) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Position of Burgoyne's Bridge
Position of Burgoyne's bridge of boats on which he crossed the Hudson — Map (db m58081) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Underground Railroad Stops in Union VillageThe Abolition Movement and Underground Railroad — Greenwich, New York —
Greenwich, known as Union Village from 1809 to 1867, played a significant role in the history of the Anti-Slave Movement and the Underground Railroad. Many families in Union Village and surrounding area provided a safe haven for slaves heading . . . — Map (db m132645) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — World War I and II and Korean Conflict Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Thompson who served their country in two World Wars (List of people that served)

Korean Conflict (List of people that served) — Map (db m58085) WM

New York (Washington County), Hartford — Civil War Enlistment Center
65 of 134 Civil War Veterans enlisted here in Co. E 123 Regt. N.Y.S. Vol. Aug. 22, 1862 — Map (db m63515) HM
New York (Washington County), Hartford — Civil War Mound and Urn
Erected to honor the 23 Hartford men who died while in service Mound erected 1897 Urn placed 1910 22nd Infantry: John Miner, George Minor, James Wythe; 16th Artillery: John Burton, Albert Higley; 93rd Infantry: John Hughes, William Orcutt; 123rd . . . — Map (db m137912) WM
New York (Washington County), Hartford — Clinton Gift
Gov. Clinton gave this land to Baptist Society, 1798. Log Meeting House, 1788, stood 50 feet to the south, church erected here, 1805. — Map (db m63514) HM
New York (Washington County), Hartford — Site of Old Mills
I. Norton built dam 1814 Downs Clothing Works Woodell Starch Mill 1866 Daicy Cabinet Works 1870 Higby Tannery below 1818 — Map (db m61515) HM
New York (Washington County), Hebron — Hebron School District No. 16
Hebron District 16 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m132226) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Coal Silos
Built by Griffin Lumber Co. fall 1906. Each silo held a different grade of coal. Built using cement blocks invented by Griffin Lumber. — Map (db m131688) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Four Mile Post
A small fort was built near here in the 1750's, known as the Four Mile Post as it was four miles from Fort Edward. — Map (db m63513) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — NY-10 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9783) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Gov. N. Pitcher
Home site of New York State Gov. Nathaniel Pitcher 1828 Town Supervisor 1806 – 1810 Born 1777. Died 1838. — Map (db m15688) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Headquarters
Lt. Gen. John Burgoyne used this house as British army headquarters, July 1777, before his surrender at Saratoga, Oct. 17, 1777. — Map (db m18105) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Hon. Silas Wright
During his youth Silas Wright came to Sandy Hill, now Hudson Falls, to learn to be a lawyer, serving his clerkship in this small building. This was the law office of Hon. Henry C. Martindale, a judge of the Court of Common Pleas and a Member of . . . — Map (db m56907) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Jane McCreaFort Edward, NY — July 27th, 1777 —
Jane McCrea was a Fort Edward area resident in 1777 during the Saratoga Campaign. With the approach of the British army, Jane’s brother, Colonel John McCrea a supporter of the Patriot cause, evacuated his farm on the West bank of the Hudson River, . . . — Map (db m136212) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Kenyon Lumber
Kenyon Lumber Company was originally built along the Feeder Canal at Lock 12 in 1852. At its peak the mill employed over 100 employees and once sawed over one million feet of lumber in less than 15 days. At that time, six days a week a raft of ¼ . . . — Map (db m131747) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Martindale Boat Basin
Today’s Boat Basin Park was once a turn-around basin for canal boats that operated out of Hudson Falls. The Feeder Canal was built in 1824 to provide a steady supply of water from the Hudson River to the Champlain Canal. The original canal was only . . . — Map (db m131746) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Military Road
Road from Ft. Edward to Lake George made by British army in 1755 crossed near here. The Kingsbury Township was formed here in May 1762. — Map (db m131638) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Railway Bridge Piers
The large stone piers located below in the Hudson River were placed there in 1837 for the construction of the Saratoga Whitehall Railroad. The bridge was not completed and the railroad stopped work due to the panic of 1838. The only use ever made . . . — Map (db m129541) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Sandy Hill1810 - 1910
Name of this village until changed to Hudson Falls, 1910. The name Sandy Hill first used ca. 1792. — Map (db m16602) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — The Ghost Story of Duncan Campbell1758 Ticonderoga Campaign
One evening, Duncan Campbell, Laird of Inverawe, was disturbed by a knock on his door. surprised to confront a desperate highlander seeing refuge. He had killed a man and had Duncan swear on his dirk that he would protect him according to ancient . . . — Map (db m136216) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Townsend Harris1804-1878
First United States Consul General to Japan. Founder of the College of the City of New York. Born in Sandy Hill, N.Y., opposite the Village Green. More than any other man , he kept the doors of Japan open to the outside world and opened . . . — Map (db m136210) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Washington County Civil War Monument
This monument is presented by Dr. Erskine G. Clark to the Village of Sandy HillDedicated to the honor and patriotism of the soldiers of Washington County who served in our war to suppress the southern rebellion of 1861, waged against the life of the . . . — Map (db m56913) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — World War II Memorial
Dedicated in honor of those who served their country during World War II from the Town of Kingsbury and the Village of Hudson Falls and in reverent memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice that we the living might remain free. December 7, 1941 . . . — Map (db m56910) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Burgoyne's Army
Marched through this hamlet in July 1777 to a camp site at the Jones farm 3 miles to the west of the park. — Map (db m58079) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Kingsbury Street
The first settler of this neighborhood was Oliver Colvin, who came here in 1766, and was the second pioneer of the Town of Kingsbury. At one time there were two churches, a school, Post Office, several taverns, hotels, stores, and mills located in . . . — Map (db m61653) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Patten's Mills Cemeteryor Harris Cemetery
The first burial here is believed to be John Jones, who was the first settler of the Town of Kingsbury to pass away here, 1772. There are veterans of the Revolutionary War and Civil War, buried in this cemetery. Maintained by the Town of . . . — Map (db m61655) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Smith's Basin
Named for Ezekiel Smith, c. 1825. He and his brother Israel operated a store and tavern in the hamlet. At one time there were several hotels, stores, a school, Post Office, a church and railroad station in the neighborhood. There was a canal boat . . . — Map (db m61659) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Underground Railway Marker
This stone chair was placed a few yards from this spot in 1841. Who placed it here and why is unknown. However, it may have been a guide post for the Underground Railway. The drawings below were carved on the back of the chair. — Map (db m61649) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Vaughn's Corners
Named for William Vaughn, who opened a store and tavern at the corners around 1800. Until the late 1830's a Post Office was located here. A masonic Lodge was held at the corners, starting in 1820, in the home of Salmasius Bardwell. — Map (db m61658) HM
New York (Washington County), Middle Granville — Middle Granville
Established in 1778 as an early business center First slate quarry opened by William R. Williams in 1853 attracting many Welsh settlers By W.C.H.S., 2002Map (db m137918) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — 1852 Rail Yard
Delaware & Hudson railroad with 14 engine roundhouse, back shop, passenger depot, freight bldg., and ice house built by Irish railworkers — Map (db m131633) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — General John WilliamsRoots of Liberty — 1752-1806 —
Surgeon-Soldier Public Servant — Map (db m129167) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Home and Laboratory of Dr. Asa Fitch, Jr.1809-1879
First State entomologist, 1854-71. Pioneer in study of crop pests and their control. — Map (db m62954) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Lest We Forget
1776-1918 Dedicated to the memory of all men of Salem New York who in devoted patriotism gave their total service to their country during time of war and to those who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty and humanity. — Map (db m58524) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Old White Church
United Presbyterian Church organized by Ballibay Ireland July 23,1751 Rev Thomas Clark M.D. and his congregation immigrated to America in 1764 and settled in Salem and erected a log church in 1766 the first Protestant church in New York State . . . — Map (db m58523) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Revolutionary Cemetery
More Revolutionary soldiers are buried here than in any other cemetery in Washington County — Map (db m58530) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Rexleigh Covered Bridge
Rehabilitated in 2007. The Rexleigh bridge is a Howe Truss with cast iron shoes built in 1874. This is the third bridge on this site. — Map (db m58531) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Stockaded Fort
In 1778 a stockaded fort was erected atop this hill and occupied by Charlotte Co. militia as a defense against the British forces. — Map (db m129208) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — The White Creek Fort
Erected as a Presbyterian Church in 1774 and converted to a fort early in the Revolution, Garrisoned by Charlotte County Militia under command of Col Joseph McCracken, it was starting point of many raids on the supply lines of Gen. Burgoyne during . . . — Map (db m58527) HM
New York (Washington County), South Hartford — Brown's Tavern
Erected 1802 by Caleb Brown — Map (db m61514) HM
New York (Washington County), White Creek — A Log Church
A log church which stood here was burned by the British Battle of Walloomsac Aug. 16, 1777 — Map (db m130474) HM
New York (Washington County), White Creek — Site of Home of John Wood
Field officers were voted for here, May 11, 1776. Also birthplace John Wood's son, Jethro Wood, inventor first iron mould plow (1814) — Map (db m130538) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Birthplace of the United States Navy
Arnold’s Valcour fleet built in the summer of 1776, in Skenesborough Harbor, now Whitehall. — Map (db m89666) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Birthplace of the United States Navy
On October 11, 1776 at Valcour Island, off the western shore of Lake Champlain, a naval battle took place that may well have decided the fate of the American Revolution. Although they fought valiantly, the Americans lost the battle. However, they . . . — Map (db m89709) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Early British Cannon
Placed on board vessels of B. Arnold’s Lake Champlain fleet, both were blown up in Whitehall Harbor by their crews July 6, 1777, to avoid capture by the British. — Map (db m89670) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Lakes to Locks PassageThe Great Northeast Journey

Panel 1

Lakes to Locks Passage takes you through a spectacular landscape laden with history. Follow this map to find your way through four story-filled regions that connect the historic waters of Lake Champlain and Lake George . . . — Map (db m109524) HM

New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Skene’s Mills
In this vicinity at Wood Creek Falls, stood the Skenesborough Mills used to saw plank for Benedict Arnold’s 1776 Valcour fleet. — Map (db m89669) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Skenesborough Museum
In 1775, Skenesborough was captured by American forces in the first aggressive action in New York. Benedict Arnold built his fleet for Lake Champlain here in 1776. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m89667) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — The Champlain Canal

Throughout history the corridor along Lake Champlain and the Hudson River has been a transportation route of significant strategic and commercial importance. In pre-colonial times it was an important Native American trail. After the arrival of . . . — Map (db m109349) HM

New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Traveling Along the Canal
The completion of the Champlain Canal in 1823 transformed Whitehall from a minor port at the head of Lake Champlain into a bustling transshipment point for goods destined for Troy, Albany, New York City, Buffalo and the West. Lumberyards, icehouses . . . — Map (db m89796) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — U.S.S. Ticonderoga
Steamer laid at Vergennes Converted to warsloop MacDonough’s flagship 1814 Battle of Plattsburgh Sunk East Bay – Raised 1958 — Map (db m89671) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Veterans MemorialWhitehall, New York — Birthplace of the U.S. Navy —

We will never forget our Veterans who answered the world's call for freedom

[Honor Rolls]

Dedicated May 25, 1992 — Map (db m109355) WM

New York (Washington County), Whitehall — WhitehallGateway to the NYS Canal System
Philip Skene founded Whitehall, originally known as Skenesborough, in 1759. He was lured here by the availability of hydropower for mills provided by the falls on Wood Creek. The magic word for Skenesborough’s existence is transportation, due to . . . — Map (db m89815) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Whitehall Harbor
With the British in pursuit three vessels of B. Arnold’s Lake Champlain fleet were blown up in this harbor by American forces July 6, 1777 to avoid being captured. — Map (db m89668) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — William Miller Chapel
Built in 1848 by Adventist founder William Miller. This chapel was placed on National Register, ca. 1975 — Map (db m58227) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — World War Memorial

In memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of those who served 1917 • World War • 1918 — Map (db m109357) WM


136 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement