Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
166 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed.                                               The final 66 

 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Wayne County, New York

 
Clickable Map of Wayne County, New York and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg Wayne County, NY (166) Cayuga County, NY (233) Monroe County, NY (420) Ontario County, NY (160) Seneca County, NY (109)  WayneCounty(166) Wayne County (166)  CayugaCounty(233) Cayuga County (233)  MonroeCounty(420) Monroe County (420)  OntarioCounty(160) Ontario County (160)  SenecaCounty(109) Seneca County (109)
Lyons is the county seat for Wayne County
Adjacent to Wayne County, New York
      Cayuga County (233)  
      Monroe County (420)  
      Ontario County (160)  
      Seneca County (109)  
 
Touch name on this list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
1 New York, Wayne County, Arcadia — A Vast Enterprise
On West Shore Boulevard at Whitbeck Road, on the right when traveling east on West Shore Boulevard.
A Vast Enterprise The Erie Canal was a vast commercial enterprise that required an army of men, women, and children to maintain and operate: surveyors, engineers, lock tenders, toll collectors, bridge operators, repair crews, and bank . . . Map (db m117641) HM
2 New York, Wayne County, Arcadia — The Birthplace of Modern Spiritualism
On Parker Road at Hydesville Road, on the right when traveling south on Parker Road.
Upon this site stood the Hydesville cottage, the home of the Fox sisters, through whose mediumship communication with the spirit world was established March 31, 1848. There is no death. There are no dead.Map (db m117715) HM
3 New York, Wayne County, Arcadia — 322 — The Fox Sisters
On Hydesville Road at Parker Road, on the right when traveling west on Hydesville Road.
The Fox Sisters On this site event of March 31, 1848 began sisters Maggie and Kate Fox's central role in the origin of modern spiritualism Map (db m117714) HM
4 New York, Wayne County, Butler — First Zion Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church
On Butler Center Road, 0.2 miles north of McCann Road, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1836 Oldest Methodist Church in Wayne County Church built from trees cut on site and milled at Viele's local sawmill Board of Trustees (1835): Uriah G. Beach, Paul Davis, Lucius Hibbard, John Roe, and William Wadsworth In Memory of . . . Map (db m157092) HM
5 New York, Wayne County, Butler — Roe Cobblestone Schoolhouse
On New York State Route 89 at Van Vleck Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 89.
Roe Cobblestone Schoolhouse (aka) Maple Avenue School, believed to be the oldest cobblestone schoolhouse in North America circa 1824Map (db m79698) HM
6 New York, Wayne County, Butler — Sarah Mills
On Route 89, 0.5 miles south of Everhart Road, on the right when traveling south.
Sarah Mills departed this life December 18, 1809 in the 65th year of her age. First woman to die in Town of Butler. Wife of Rev. War Capt. Peter Mills. Map (db m79701) HM
7 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 540 — Block House Road
On Water Street near Waterloo Street when traveling east.
Followed Native American trail that once crossed river near here. Named ca. 1858 for 18th c. fortification on north side of river.Map (db m224491) HM
8 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Blockhouse Creek
On New York State Route 31, on the right when traveling east.
Filled in during railroad construction in the 1850's, this stream was originally a ravine known to the Iroquois as "Little Waters", and to early settlers as Vanderbilt Creek. In the 1700's it formed part of the Indian trail between Sodus Bay . . . Map (db m131868) HM
Paid Advertisement
9 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Clyde Blockhouse Historical Site
On New York State Route 31, on the right when traveling east.
In 1722 a blockhouse was built here by an expedition sent by Governor William Burnet of the Province of New York. The site was the location of an earlier French trading post, on the trail leading from Sodus Bay. During the French and Indian War, . . . Map (db m131857) HM
10 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 332 — Clyde Downtown Historic District
On South Park Street west of Glasgow Street, on the right when traveling west.
Clyde Downtown Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2019 by the United States Department of the InteriorMap (db m157121) HM
11 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Clyde Historical Highlights
On Water Street, on the right when traveling west.
1722 Blockhouse constructed 1782 Military Tract #27 (now Town of Galen) established for Revolutionary War medical staff veterans 1811 Permanent settlement, Lauraville, begins south of river 1825 Erie Canal completed/Stow Insurance Office . . . Map (db m132026) HM
12 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Clyde River
On Meadow Street.
Named about 1818 by William Mcnab, a Scottish surveyor. The Clyde was a principal waterway for early settlers until completion of the Erie Canal. Later used as part of the NYS Barge canal, circa 1917.Map (db m231541) HM
13 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 507 — Conflagration
On Glasgow Street (New York State Route 414) 0 miles south of Ford Street, on the right when traveling north.
On April 8, 1847 a fired that began in an old barn destroyed several buildings across from this site. Rain helped contain flames.Map (db m157124) HM
14 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Erie Mansion B&B
On W Genesee Street at Lock Street, on the left when traveling east on W Genesee Street.
Historically hauntedMap (db m131848) HM
15 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 15 — Iron Lift Bridge
On Glasgow Street (New York State Route 414) south of Ford Street.
Built 1888 near here water operated lift bridge crossed old Erie Canal. Removed 1917 after Barge Canal was built.Map (db m243274) HM
16 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 530 — Iron Works
On Ford Street, 0.1 miles west of Genesee Street (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling west.
Est. ca. 1831 on this site made farm implements. Later expanded to make boilers, traction & portable steam engines. Closed 1954.Map (db m157125) HM
17 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Replica Blockhouse
On State Highway 31, on the right when traveling east.
This replica blockhouse was constructed 1975-76, as a Bicentennial project, with donations from local businesses It is built to resemble the original blockhouse, described as being about 12 feet by 18 feet in dimension, two stories in height . . . Map (db m131867) HM
Paid Advertisement
18 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — Roll of Honor
On South Park Street (New York State Route 31) at Sodus Street, in the median on South Park Street.
To the memory of the men and women of the Town of Galen who gave their lives in the World War 1917-1919. Silivo Baldasare PVT Co. 311th Inf. Killed in Action George Aden Brown PVT. 17th Co. 5th Marines Died of Wounds John Dawson PVT. HDQTS CO. . . . Map (db m131907) WM
19 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — The Galen Historical Society Museum
On North Park Street (New York State Route 31) at Sodus Street, on the left when traveling east on North Park Street.
First brick edifice in Clyde The Baptist church 1833-1954 The public library 1955-1995 Map (db m131853) HM
20 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 519 — Train Wreck
On Columbia Street, 0.1 miles west of Glasgow Street, on the left when traveling west.
On May 2, 1902 about 400 ft. south of this site fast mail train No. 3 collided with a freight train. 13 mail clerks were injured. Two crew died.Map (db m157123) HM
21 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — 536 — West Shore RR
Trains ran here 1884-1995. Station & warehouses located near this site. By 1961 only water tank remained. Tracks removed 1995.Map (db m224450) HM
22 New York, Wayne County, Clyde — World War Cannon(250mm German Mine Launcher)
On South Park Street west of Glasgow Street, on the right when traveling west.
Between 1910-1918, the Rheinmetall Factory of Germany produced 1,234 of these heavy trench mortars. They could hurl 97kg (210-lb) high-explosive shells up to 550 meters. This gun was a war trophy given by the US Government to the Village of . . . Map (db m157122) HM
23 New York, Wayne County, Huron — 615 — First Meeting
On Lummisville Road (County Route 155) 0.1 miles east of Dutch Street (County Route 158), on the left when traveling east.
First meeting Freethinkers Association of Central & Western New York organized here August 1877. Hosted by James M. Cosad. About 2,000 attended.Map (db m150134) HM
24 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — 7 — Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 55H.G. Hotchkiss Peppermint Company — Rochester, Syracuse & Eastern Rail Road —
On Leach Road, 0.1 miles south of Water Street, on the left when traveling north.
Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 55, Lyons, New York H.G. Hotchkiss Peppermint Company Rochester, Syracuse & Eastern Rail Road Fifteen Miles on the Erie Canal, Wayne County, New York Enlarged Erie Canal (1840-1905) Lock E-55, located just east . . . Map (db m117683) HM
25 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — First School
On Butternut Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Butternut Street.
First School A log school house was built on this site before 1808. Brick structure replacing it was used as a Catholic Church. Map (db m117687) HM
26 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — G. Winston Dobbins Memorial Parkand Mural Winston's Dream
On Leach Road, 0.1 miles south of Water Street.
G. Winston Dobbins Memorial Park and Mural Winston's Dream Dedicated June 14, 2007 This site is more than a landmark in history. It is a community victory! In April of 2006 discarded furniture, old tires, scrap metal, and assorted rubbish filled . . . Map (db m117673) HM
Paid Advertisement
27 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Gratefully Dedicated
On Church Street, 0.1 miles north of Williams Street, on the left when traveling west.
Air Force Gratefully dedicated to the lasting memory of all the men and women of the village and town of Lyons who have served honorably in the armed forces of the United States of America in peace and war. Army Navy POW★MIA You are . . . Map (db m117666) WM
28 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — H.G. Hotchkiss
On Leach Road at Water Street, on the right when traveling south on Leach Road.
H.G. Hotchkiss Essential Oil Co. began on this site 1841. Awarded international medals making Lyons one of the world's largest producers of peppermint oil. Map (db m117669) HM
29 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — H.G. Hotchkiss Peppermint Mural
On Water Street at Leach Road, on the left when traveling east on Water Street.
H.G. Hotchkiss Peppermint Mural Artist: Dawn Jordan July 2009 Mural #7 In this mural Dawn Jordan depicts the "essence” of the business operations which at one time produced the world famous Hotchkiss Peppermint Oil. Included . . . Map (db m117671) HM
30 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — H.G. Hotchkiss/Hotchkiss Essential Oils
Near Leach Road, 0.1 miles south of Water Street.
Hotchkiss Essential Oils Essential Oil- an oil is essential in that it carries a distinctive scent or essence of a plant PEPPERMINT - a hybrid plant which is a cross between watermint and spearmint used to make oil: sometimes regarded as . . . Map (db m117678) HM
31 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Honor Roll
On Geneva Street.
World War I Rudolph Cataldi Bert Collins Robert Guenthner Irving Martin Elmer Pflug Frank Schlieman Edward Walsh World War II Marl Blanch Michael Cassavino William Hess Loius Justino Albert Kline Norman Lanscaster . . . Map (db m132027) WM
32 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — It is 1880 and You are Riding on a Packet Boat
On Geneva Street (New York State Route 14) at Montezuma Street, on the left when traveling north on Geneva Street.
It is 1880 and you are riding on a packet boat through Lyons, New York; as you pass and through Lock 55 the air is thick with the smell of peppermint oil having just been loaded for shipment by the Hotchkiss Building. Your packet boat just turned . . . Map (db m117658) HM
33 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — 394 — Jackson School
On Pleasant Valley Road, 0.1 miles south of Jackson School Road, on the left when traveling south.
Jackson School. One room cobblestone school house opened in 1831 for School Dist. No.6 Towns of Lyons & Arcadia. Closed 1947. Sold 1959 to private owners. Map (db m117713) HM
34 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — 219 — Lyons Downtown Historic District
On Church Street at William Street, on the right when traveling east on Church Street.
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018 by the United States Department of the InteriorMap (db m198755) HM
35 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Memorial
On Broad Street at Pearl Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
. . . Map (db m117688) WM
Paid Advertisement
36 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Mildred Taylor
On Geneva Street (New York State Route 14) 0.1 miles north of Water Street, on the right when traveling south.
Mildred Taylor 1905-1981. Member of NYS Assemby from 1946-1960. First woman appointed to Assembly Ways and Means Committee. Map (db m117664) HM
37 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Naming of Lyons
On Water Street at Butternut Street, on the right when traveling west on Water Street.
Naming of Lyons About 1795 near this spot the river-view resembling that of Lyons, France, led Charles Williamson to rename "The Forks" settlement - Lyons. Map (db m117635) HM
38 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — New York State Barge Canal
Near Leach Road south of Water Street, on the right when traveling north.
New York State Barge Canal has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Completed in 1918, the canal system's four branches . . . Map (db m159080) HM
39 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — 877 — Sherwood-Taylor
On Broad Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Broad Street.
Former home of Lyman Sherwood. 1828-1901. Lyons Musical Academy founder and Myron C. Taylor. 1874-1959. U.S. Steel CEO & FDR's envoy to Vatican.Map (db m236315) HM
40 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Site of Daniel Dorsey Warehouse
On Geneva Street (New York State Route 144), on the right when traveling north.
Here convened first session of Genesee Conference Methodist Church July 20, 1810. Bishop Francis Asbury presided. Bishop William McKendree was present. 68 ministers appointed to circuits.Map (db m131887) HM
41 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Taylor Memorial Park
On Geneva Street (New York State Route 14) at Montezuma Street, on the left when traveling south on Geneva Street.
Taylor Memorial Park Gift to the Village of Lyons in memory of William Taylor 1844-1918 by his son Myron C. Taylor 1932 Map (db m117663) HM
42 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — The Bank
On Church Street at Williams Street, on the right when traveling west on Church Street.
On this site in 1838 was erected a building known until 1929 as "The Bank." Built by The Bank of Lyons, it was occupied by: The Sisson Bank 1846 D. Chapman & Co. 1850 Charles Demmon, banker 1861 Gavitt & Murdock 1866 Saxon B. Gavitt, banker 1871 . . . Map (db m131904) HM
43 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — The Lyons Drydock
On Old Lyons Road, 0.4 miles west of Gansz Road.
The Lyons Drydock Thee Lyons drydock, located just west of the village was the last drydock built on the New York State Canal System after nearly a century of improvements. Drydocks like the one at Lyons were needed so that canal boats . . . Map (db m117654) HM
44 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Wayne County
On Church Street at William Street, on the right when traveling west on Church Street.
Set off from Ontario and Seneca counties April 11, 1823 Named in honor of General Anthony WayneMap (db m236301) HM
Paid Advertisement
45 New York, Wayne County, Lyons — Wayne County Historical SocietyMuseum of Wayne County History
On Butternut Street at Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Butternut Street.
Wayne County Historical Society Museum of Wayne County History Since 1962, the Wayne County Historical Society has operated the Museum of Wayne County History, a 17 room exhibition space - formerly the Wayne County Jail and Sheriff's residence. . . . Map (db m117685) HM
46 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — 317 — Bullis House
On Canandaigua Road, 1.2 miles north of Pittsford-Palmyra Road (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling north.
Bullis House Built by Charles H. Bullis ca. 1839. Camp Bullis in Texas named for grandson Gen. John L. Bullis who resided here in his youth. Map (db m117614) HM
47 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — 377 — Doty Home
On Canandaigua Road.
Susan and Elias Doty Quaker abolitionists, suffragists, signed the Declaration of Sentiments July 1848 in Seneca FallsMap (db m132751) HM
48 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — 370 — Emma B. Sweet
On West Main Street (New York State Route 31) at Poplar Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
Emma B. Sweet 1862-1951. Macedon native, Susan B. Anthony's secretary 1895-1906. Sufferage worker, speaker and advocate for equal rights for all. Map (db m117608) HM
49 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 60 Historic Site
Near Quaker Road, 1 mile east of O'Neil Road.
Macedon's Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 60 Historic Site The original 1825 Erie Canal (Clinton's Ditch), proved so successful that in 1841 lock 60 was built as a single chamber as part of a system wide enlargement. Whereas the "Ditch” . . . Map (db m117601) HM
50 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Erie Lock 60
On New York State Route 31, 0.2 miles east of O'Neil Rd, on the left when traveling east.
Through these hallowed chambers passed untold thousands. Built in 1821 Clinton's Ditch Lock #71. 1841 Erie enlargement Lock #60. 1874 doubled - 1888 lengthened.Map (db m61898) HM
51 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — First Settlers of Macedon
On Quaker Road, 0.2 miles east of O'Neil Road, on the left when traveling east.
1789 Webb and Hannah Harwood first settlers of Macedon pioneer home located near this marker Map (db m117599) HM
52 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Have You Wondered
On Canal Park, 0.2 miles west of Railroad Avenue when traveling west.
Have you wondered, "What are these boxes and what were they used for? These boxes have historical value and were used in a variety of ways. In circa 1900 they were used on Onondaga Lake, Syracuse, NY for oil barges to tie up to while waiting . . . Map (db m117606) HM
53 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Historic Sites
On Walworth Road (County Route 208) 0.1 miles north of Quaker Road, on the right when traveling south.
Historic Sites First Baptist Church built 1809 moved to VLG. 1835 Parsonage, bur- ial ground of David & Anna Wilcox great, great grandparents of Win- ston Churchill, School Dist #6 Map (db m110026) HM
Paid Advertisement
54 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — In Memory of Our Fallen Civil War Soldiers
Near South Erie Street, 0.2 miles south of Crest Avenue.
Erected by the people of Macedon in memory of our fallen Civil War soldiers Honoring those who died to preserve the Union during the American Civil War (1861-1865) [left] Lewis B. Knowles, Co. B, 38th N.Y.V.; John Beuger, Co. B, 160th . . . Map (db m117613) WM
55 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Macedon Academy
On Macedon Center Road (New York State Route 31F) at Canandaigua Road, on the right when traveling west on Macedon Center Road.
Macedon Academy Est. 1841 to educate in the academics, in character, and in the equality of all people. Frederick Douglass spoke here March 6, 1861. Map (db m117598) HM
56 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Macedon's Honor Roll
On Railroad Avenue at Canal Park, on the right when traveling north on Railroad Avenue.
Macedon's Honor Roll In grateful trubute to the local men and women of our armed forces who have or are currently serving their country. This land is rededicated in their memory to remain forever a public park.Map (db m117604) WM
57 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — May 29, 1800
On Quaker Road, 0.6 miles west of Walworth Road, on the right when traveling east.
May 29, 1800 The First Baptist Church of Macedon was organized on this site in the home of Lemuel Spear, a veteran of the Revolution. Map (db m117600) HM
58 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — The 26 Erie Canal Laborers
On Wayneport Road, 0.1 miles south of Quaker Road, on the left when traveling north.
In remembrance of - The 26 Erie Canal laborers buried here, stricken in 1846. "They built the longest canal, with the least experience, for the most public benefit" Map (db m117597) HM
59 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Town of Macedon
On West Main Street (New York State Route 31) west of Poplar Street, on the left when traveling east.
Tract 12 range 3 of the Phelps-Gorham Purchase. Settled in 1789 by Webb and Hannah Harwood. Incorporated 29 Jan. 1823.Map (db m157664) HM
60 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Underground RR
On Wilkinson Road at Victor Road, on the right when traveling east on Wilkinson Road.
Underground RR n this area Quaker abolitionist harbored slaves using Ganargua Creek as a gateway to freedom. Map (db m117607) HM
61 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — Wayneport Historic Area
On Wayneport Road at North Canal Road, on the right when traveling north on Wayneport Road.
Macedon's Wayneport Historic Area At one time known as West Macedon, Wayneport was the first port in Wayne County east of Rochester on the original Clinton's Ditch. The first post office in Macedon was located here. On the south side of . . . Map (db m117596) HM
62 New York, Wayne County, Macedon — 379 — Wilcoxen Home
On West Main Street (New York State Route 31) 0.1 miles west of Race Street, on the left when traveling west.
Wilcoxen Home Ella S. Wilcoxen 1865-1933 First female graduate of University of Rochester 1901. Teacher & religious worker. Lifelong community resident. Map (db m126142) HM
Paid Advertisement
63 New York, Wayne County, Marion — First Log House
On South Main Street, 0.4 miles south of Mill Street, on the right when traveling south.
First Log House in Marion was erected on this site in 1795 by Henry Lovell Map (db m117726) HM
64 New York, Wayne County, Marion — First Tavern
On Mill Street at South Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Mill Street.
1800 First Tavern kept in Marion was located on this site. Map (db m117723) HM
65 New York, Wayne County, Marion — Former POW Camp
On Walworth-Marion Road at Palmyra Road (New York State Route 21), on the right when traveling west on Walworth-Marion Road.
Site of Former POW Camp The camp housed 70 to 80 German prisoners during World War II July 23, 1945 - December 2, 1945 Map (db m117731) HM
66 New York, Wayne County, Marion — G.A.R.-W.R.C. memorialFrom Fort Sumter to Appomattox. — Fraternity, Charity, Loyalty, G.A.R. —
On Cemetery Lane when traveling west.
(Front): Erected as a memorial to the soldiers & and sailors of the town of Marion by Love F. Seymour in memory of her grandparents Eli & Margaret Green (Right Side): 1861 Let us have peace Grant 1865 (Back):With . . . Map (db m45181) HM
67 New York, Wayne County, Marion — Marion
On South Main Street at Maple Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
Marion Settled in 1795-6 by pioneers from Rhode Island and Massachusetts, was organized as a town April 15, 1826 Map (db m117724) HM
68 New York, Wayne County, Marion — Old Post Road
On Main Street (County Route 216) at East Williamson Road (County Route 218), on the right on Main Street.
Marks Old Post Road from Canandaigua to Pultneyville and also the Old Sodus RoadMap (db m164479) HM
69 New York, Wayne County, Marion — This House
On Palmyra Road (New York State Route 21) at South Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Palmyra Road.
This House erected in 1830 was a station of the Underground Railway in the days of slavery. Map (db m117729) HM
70 New York, Wayne County, Newark — Arcadia War Memorial
On South Main Street (Route 88) at High Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
[encircling] Independence, Justice, Liberty [front & back] Arcadia War Memorial, Dedicated to the memory of our soldiers - sailors and marines of all wars World War II Vincent L. Finewood, U.S.A. 1945; Albert N. Fisher, France 1945; Charles J. . . . Map (db m117763) WM
71 New York, Wayne County, Newark — In Memory of Those from This Community
On Church Street, 0.1 miles east of South Main Street (New York State Route 88), on the right when traveling east.
In memory of those from this community who served our country, especially those who gave their lives in the ultimate sacrifice. 1950 Korea 1955 Ralph E. Baker, Cpl. Army, KIA 5 May 1951 1961 Vietnam 1975 James A. Marshall, 1Lt. USAF, MIA 18 . . . Map (db m117762) WM
Paid Advertisement
72 New York, Wayne County, Newark — 320 — Joseph Miller
On West Miller Street at Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Miller Street.
Joseph Miller On this site stood the home of Joseph Miller who founded Newark in 1819 and built local section of Erie Canal Ca. 1822. Map (db m117645) HM
73 New York, Wayne County, Newark — 323 — Lockville
On Vienna Street at East Union Street (New York State Route 31), on the right when traveling north on Vienna Street.
Lockville Erie Canal hamlet on this site incorporated in 1839 as village of Arcadia. Joined Newark in 1853. Row buildings of the period. Map (db m117646) HM
74 New York, Wayne County, Newark — 321 — Mora Motor Car
On Hoffman Street, 0.2 miles north of East Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Est. 1906 by Samuel H. Mora. Automobiles manufactured on this site 1908-1911. Hallagan Fine Furniture located here since 1913.Map (db m117647) HM
75 New York, Wayne County, Newark — Newark High School
On Church Street, 0.1 miles east of South Main Street (New York State Route 88), on the right when traveling east.
School on this site by 1832 Union School 1851 Washington School 1891-1940 WW2 POW Camp 1944-1946 Demolished 1948 N. H. S. Class 1940 June 25, 1990Map (db m198475) HM
76 New York, Wayne County, Newark — Rear Admiral Leslie E. Gehres
Near Red Fox Lane, 0.2 miles west of Peirson Avenue.
Rear Admiral Leslie E. Gehres Born Newark, NY September 23, 1898. Died May 15, 1975. Dedicated in recognition of Rear Admiral Leslie E. Gehres, leading U.S. naval hero of World War II, for extraordinary heroism as Captain of the aircraft carrier . . . Map (db m117644) WM
77 New York, Wayne County, Newark — The Lockville Locks in Newark
On Van Buren Road at North Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east on Van Buren Road.
The Lockville Locks in Newark Lock 59, about 300 feet away and across Clinton Street was part of the Enlarged Erie Canal, built between 1839 and 1841 in a section of town once known as Upper Lockville. Its two sister locks 58 and 57, were located . . . Map (db m117650) HM
78 New York, Wayne County, North Rose — 939 — Austin Steward
On Ridge Road (County Road 143) 0.3 miles west of Lake Bluff Road (County Road 154), on the right when traveling east.
Abolitionist, author, and Entrepreneur. In 1857, wrote of clearing land near here ca. 1801-1809 while enslaved by Captain William Helm.Map (db m243273) HM
79 New York, Wayne County, North Rose — Town of Rose
On North Main Street (New York State Route 414) north of Caroline Street, on the left when traveling south.
Set off from Town of Wolcott April 3, 1826 Named in honor of Robert Selden RoseMap (db m243275) HM
80 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — "Hojack" Train StationCirca 1874
Near Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road.
This depot was first used in 1874 as part of the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad. It was also known as the Hojack line. The story goes that a farmer was taking his wagon across the tracks when his mule stopped. He kept saying "Ho, Jack" . . . Map (db m172676) HM
Paid Advertisement
81 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — A Pillar of Strength / The Light of Freedom
Near Lake Road, 0.2 miles east of Park Avenue.
A Pillar of strength, standing as One, heavy in Weight, You are of Metal, with all your Integrity and Assurance, You are the Stabilizer This anchor is dedicated to all the United States Armed Forces POW's and MIA's by employees of the Ginna . . . Map (db m172668) WM
82 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Apple Dry House
Near Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road.
The history of apple growing date back to 1804 when white settlers first settled in Pultneyville and began propagating the apple tree found there. By 1850, commercial culture (production for sale or trade to others) was beginning. Apples were stored . . . Map (db m172675) HM
83 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Baptist Meeting HouseCirca 1834
On Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road, on the left when traveling north.
The Baptist congregation met for the first time on July 3, 1834, and employed George B. Davis as their first pastor. Their first meeting house, on the south-west corner of Ontario Center, was not built until 1834. The congregation later built a . . . Map (db m172678) HM
84 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Bear Creek Harbor
On Lake Road, 0.2 miles east of Park Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, commercial fishing and the shipping of locally mined iron ore were carried out at Bear Creek harbor.Map (db m172363) HM
85 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Crombe Exhibit Barn1990
Near Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road.
This exhibit barn was built on site in 1990 as a general meeting building in which we could display some of the tools and artifacts related to the homestead and farms of the area. The second floor is closed to visitors and is a storage loft.Map (db m172677) HM
86 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Davis Cemetery
On Lake Road, 0.8 miles west of Knickerbocker Road, on the left when traveling west.
Thought to be the oldest cemetery in Ontario, this is the final resting place of 1812 soldier Jesse GageMap (db m172667) HM
87 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Fire of 1885
On Ridge Road at Furnace Road, on the right when traveling west on Ridge Road.
Fire started in the barn of the Clark Hotel on June 21, 1885. Twenty-nine buildings - half of Ontario's business district - were destroyed.Map (db m172362) HM
88 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Fruitland Mill
On Ridge Rd (County Route 103) 0.2 miles west of Lakeside Road, on the right when traveling west.
In 1835 Ira Hill built dams here to power flour and saw milling, pond was used for cutting ice in winter.Map (db m172349) HM
89 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Heritage Corners
On Ontario Center Road at Brick Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Ontario Center Road.
On June 5, 1974 the Brick Church Pease Home, Brick Church School, Ruffell Log Cabin were placed on the National Register. This 19th Century crossroads began in 1834.Map (db m172666) HM
90 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Iron Furnace
On Furnace Road at Bailey Road, on the left when traveling north on Furnace Road.
Furnaceville Iron Company built a blast furnace here in 1880 to manufacture pig iron. The ore was dug from local beds.Map (db m172358) HM
91 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Iron Ore Bed
On Furnace Road, 0.4 miles south of Kenyon Road, on the right when traveling south.
Here in 1811 Mr. Knickerbocker discovered iron ore when digging a well. Ore was first dug by hand and shipped out Bear Creek harbor. Later this ore fed local furnace.Map (db m172360) HM
92 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Log CabinCirca 1860
On Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road, on the left when traveling north.
James Ruffell built this log cabin during the Civil War, on a 104 acre farm on Ore Bed Road, (now Kenyon Road). This cabin was the second one built by the Ruffell family. It replaced an earlier one that was inconveniently located farther back in the . . . Map (db m172680) HM
93 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Memorial Point at Bear Creek Harbor
Near Lake Road, 0.2 miles east of Park Avenue.
is dedicated to all who have served their country in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. The memorial circles will serve as a timeless reminder of the ultimate sacrifice these Ontario residents gave in defense of our nation and to . . . Map (db m172466) WM
94 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Paint Mill
On New York State Route 104 at milepost 3,, 0.6 miles west of Ontario Center Road (New York State Route 350), on the right when traveling west.
A mill was built here in 1913 for drying and grinding iron ore. This iron ore powder was shipped worldwide for making red barn paint. Operations ceased in 1948.Map (db m172357) HM
95 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Pioneer CemeteryOntario Center Cemetery
On Ridge Road (County Route 103) 0.2 miles east of Slocum Road, on the left when traveling east.
Eliza S. Patterson's burial 1827. Veterans of Revoluionary War rest here. Final burial, 1922.Map (db m156945) HM
96 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Pioneer Settler
On Lake Road, 0.2 miles east of Furnace Road, on the left when traveling east.
In 1806 the Freeman Hopkins family arrived by ox team from New England and built a log cabin. This was the first settlement in Ontario.Map (db m172458) HM
97 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Town of Ontario Timeline1806 - 1973
Near Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road.
[left panel]: Map of Phelps & Gorham’s Purchase 1790. In 1776, at the start of the Revolutionary War, the Iroquois Indians held claim to this territory. In 1788, Oliver Phelps of Connecticut, and Nathanial Gorham of Massachusetts purchased 2,600,00 . . . Map (db m172822) HM
98 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — War of 1812
On Lake Road, 0.6 miles east of Knickerbocker Road, on the left when traveling west.
In 1814, a British war vessel anchored off Ontario and Noah Fuller and Capt. Church were kidnapped and forced to guide her into Pultneyville.Map (db m172454) HM
99 New York, Wayne County, Ontario — Warner HouseCirca 1838
Near Ontario Center Road, 0.2 miles south of Brick Church Road.
The Warner Farm House was the home of Alanson Warner and his wife Catherina Albright. Alanson, the son of Andrew and Chloe Fairman Warner, a native of Worthington Massachusetts, came to Ontario in 1816 with his parents. Alanson was credited with . . . Map (db m172649) HM
100 New York, Wayne County, Palmyra — A Memorial to All
On Palmyra-Newark Road (New York State Route 31) 0.1 miles south of Canalside Drive, on the right when traveling south.
A memorial to all living and dead who have served in our nation's armed forces. Map (db m117638) WM

166 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. The final 66 ⊳
 
 
CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024