Erected by Captain John Russell, Commander of His Britannic Majesty's Sloop of War Scorpion, who gave his name to this residence and tract of fifty-five acres of land adjacent to the town of Brunswick. Subsequently owned and occupied by the British . . . — — Map (db m22372) HM
Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which was chartered in 1663, it was first settled by the English in 1670. One of the 13 original states.
Colonized, 1585-87, b first English settlers in America; . . . — — Map (db m39649) HM
Established late 1700’s. Incorporated March6, 1899. The Shallotte River was navigated by commercial sailing vessels until the 1920’s when the roads were built. First church building erected on this site circa 1799. — — Map (db m28823) HM
Here on this small bluff overlooking the Cape Fear River, Joshua Potts in the year 1790 envisioned a town surrounding old Fort Johnston. “Braced up by the effects of the salubrious breeze, from the sea,” Joshua Potts laid out the first . . . — — Map (db m4792) HM
Dedicated to the memory of Catalino Tingzon, interred in Northwood Cemetery, and all Merchant Marine seamen and U.S. Navy Armed Guard on the tanker S.S.John D. Gill torpedoed and sunk off Cape Fear by the German submarine U-158 . . . — — Map (db m4950) HM
This tablet was erected May, 1911 by the North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames of America to mark the site of Fort Johnston, the first fort in the Province of North Carolina, built under Act of Assembly of 1745 and completed 1764, and named in . . . — — Map (db m4754) HM
Confederate Lifeline. On January 9, 1861, as secession fever swept the South, an armed body of civilians overwhelmed Fort Johnston’s lone occupant, Ordinance Sgt. James Reilly, and demanded the keys. Reilly quickly surrendered them and received . . . — — Map (db m4761) HM
Site for this public park was given to the town of Smithville, which was named in his honor, by Governor Benjamin Smith. His legacy provided that land in this square be used for educational, fraternal, religious and recreational purposes.
Th . . . — — Map (db m5988) HM
This ancient gnarled oak has been estimated to be more than 800 years old. Indians may have bent the young tree to mark the trail to their fishing grounds. The tree took root a second time, thus developing the unusual formation. — — Map (db m20366) HM
Erected during North Carolina’s Tercentenary to Mrs. Jessie Stevens Taylor, 1879–1961. She loved her God, Country and fellow man. She served here as a Voluntary Weather Observer and Storm Warning Display Woman from 1900 to 1961. — — Map (db m4752) HM
On February 27, 1904, ground was broken for the “new” jail. Contractor A.J. Robbins received the contract with a low bid of $6,738. Its construction is “a concrete foundation with brick walls, laid in 1:6 bond constructed with a . . . — — Map (db m6095) HM
Between the Civil War and the construction of the Panama Canal in 1904, local residents and investors desperately sought to surpass Wilmington by building a rail link to the Appalachian coal fields. Smithville would become the first refueling stop . . . — — Map (db m6227) HM
“Nor even this hour shall want its charm / For side-by-side still fondly we’ll keep / And calmly in each others arms / Together linked go down the deep.” —From the marker for Emeline L. Taylor and Major George Taylor who were . . . — — Map (db m6229) HM
January 1916. Founded in 1893, the Southport Volunteer Fire Department was officially organized with the election of officers and adoption of a constitution and by laws on 21 January, 1916. Authorized purchase of the city’s first fire alarm bell . . . — — Map (db m5996) HM
Thanks for our freedom
This Memorial, dedicated on November 11, 2015, and funded by private donations, honors the Men and Women Who Have Served Our Nation.
It was made possible through the heart, vision, dedication, and tireless efforts . . . — — Map (db m105916) WM
Brunswick Town State Historic Site was established on land donated to the State of North Carolina in December, 1952, by James Laurence Sprunt and his four sons, James Laurence Sprunt, Jr., Kenneth Murchison Sprunt, Samuel Nash Sprunt, and Laurence . . . — — Map (db m5535) HM
A memorial to Colonel Maurice Moore, gentleman and soldier of the King, who in the year of our lord 1725 founded in a wilderness The Town of Brunswick reserving for the glory of God the tract of land on which was built this parish church . . . — — Map (db m6510) HM
Begun 1861. Named in honor of General Joseph R. Anderson, then commanding military district.
The Fort, under command of Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood, suffered a severe bombardment by a Federal fleet and attack by Federal army under Maj. Gen. J. M. . . . — — Map (db m6494) HM
In 1861–1862, Col. William Lamb and Maj. John Hedrick
constructed Fort Anderson, one of several Confederate
strongholds that protected Wilmington, a major blockade-running port. They enlarged Fort St. Philip (for St. Philip’s Anglican Church . . . — — Map (db m6515) HM