Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Camden County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Camden County Courthouse Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 30, 2012
Camden County Courthouse Marker
North Carolina (Camden County), Camden — Camden County Courthouse
Built in 1847, the historic Camden County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. "A jewel among the state's Greek Revival buildings," the two-story building with hip roof and five-bay main facade replaced a . . . — Map (db m57038) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), Camden — A29 — Dempsey Burgess
Member of provincial congresses, 1775–1776; lieutenant colonel of militia in Revolution; Congressman, 1795–99. Grave is 7 miles S.E. — Map (db m2768) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), South Mills — Battle of South Mills Fight for the Canal Burnside Expedition
Early in 1862, Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside led an expedition to secure the coast of North Carolina and occupy strategically important sites such as New Bern and Elizabeth City. After Burnside learned of the March 9 clash between USS . . . — Map (db m56761) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), South Mills — A 8 — Battle of South Mills
Confederates, on Apr. 19, 1862, repelled Union army here, prevented demolition of Dismal Swamp Canal locks three miles N.W. — Map (db m57037) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), South Mills — A 12 — Dismal Swamp Canal
Connects Albemarle Sound with Chesapeake Bay. Begun 1790; in use by War of 1812. — Map (db m56763) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), South Mills — A 63 — McBride Church
Methodist since 1792. Begun as Anglican c. 1733. Visited by bishops Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke. Building erected 1837; remodeled 1882. 2½ mi. E. — Map (db m56764) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement