Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Catawba County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Bunker Hill Covered Bridge Entrance image, Touch for more information
By Jamie Cox, December 26, 2011
Bunker Hill Covered Bridge Entrance
North Carolina (Catawba County), Claremont — Bunker Hill Covered Bridge
One of the last surviving covered bridges in North Carolina, built in 1894, stands 500 yards north on Lyles Creek. — Map (db m51166) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Claremont — Bunker Hill Covered Bridge
County commissioners, in 1894, called local land owners to build and maintain a bridge across Lyles Creek. In response, landowners hired the services of Andy J. Ramsour, keeper of Horse Ford covered bridge over the Catawba River, at Hickory. In . . . — Map (db m70563) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Claremont — Covered Bridges
Why Covered Bridges: They protect exposed wooden superstructures from rot resulting from exposure to the elements (rain, sleet, snow, and blazing sun). An uncovered wooden bridge's life span would be 15-20 years; but with a roof and . . . — Map (db m70562) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Claremont — Herman Haupt
In 1862, the Secretary of War called on Haupt to assist in the reconstruction of railroads destroyed by retreating Confederates. Haupt was able to both rebuild the rail system and organize an efficient rail operation to resupply the Union. In nine . . . — Map (db m70564) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — 210MM German Howitzer Surrendered to U.S. 1918,
Placed here in Memory of the Men from this community who participated in the World War Insert Rededicated by American Legion Post 48 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1957 to all veterans man and women of this area May 24, 1998 — Map (db m18540) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — Frame Church
To your right stood a frame church built by First Presbyterian Church. The first service was Nov. 2, 1878, and was their house of worship until 1905, when it was purchased by Christ Lutheran Church. The Lutherans worshiped here until 1926. It was . . . — Map (db m18567) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — Henry Weidner Robinson
Commemorating the memory of Henry Weidner Robinson This marks the town of Hickory Tavern as incorporated December 12, 1863. The city of Hickory Commemorates Henry Weidner Robinson who in 1859 gave this site as a public common. The citizens of . . . — Map (db m18544) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — Old Hickory Tavern Birthplace of Hickory
To the rear of this spot stood a log house known in 1799 as Hickory Tavern. This tract of 640 acres was surveyed by Col. Christopher W. Beekman on June 8, 1779 and was granted to William McMullen Oct. 28, 1783 on the south side of this tavern ran . . . — Map (db m18538) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — Tower of Miracles 2001
Maryrose Carroll Millennium Art Committee City of Hickory — Map (db m18542) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement