Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cleveland County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Gardner-Webb University image, Touch for more information
By Michael Sean Nix, October 22, 2009
Gardner-Webb University
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Boiling Springs — O-43 — Gardner-Webb University
Baptist. Founded 1905 as Boiling Springs High School; junior college, 1928-1971. University since 1993. — Map (db m23547) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Fallston — Fallston Veterans Memorial
We did it not for the glory but for God, country and each other forever brothers and sisters — Map (db m44604) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Grover — O 6 — Cornwallis
Entered North Carolina near here. January, 1781, on his second invasion of the state, Pursuing Morgan and Green — Map (db m16819) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Grover — O-59 — Graham's Fort
Home of Col. William Graham. Site of Tory raid, 1780. Served as Revolutionary War fort. Site is 300 yds. N.E. — Map (db m23528) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Grover — O 22 — North Carolina/South Carolina
North Carolina Colonized, 1585-87, by First English Settlers in America; Permanently Settled C.1650; First To Vote Readiness For Independence, Apr. 12, 1776 South Carolina Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which . . . — Map (db m16820) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Grover — O-13 — Patrick Ferguson
Tory force led by Col. Ferguson camped nearby Oct. 4-5, 1780. Two days later Ferguson died in major British defeat at Kings Mountain, 5 mi. SE. — Map (db m49964) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — O 1 — Battle of Kings Mountain
Overmountain Men from Tenn., Va., & N.C. led Patriots to victory over British, Oct. 7, 1780. Site 7 miles south. — Map (db m34068) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — O 1 — Kings Mountain Battleground
Scene of Decisive British defeat, Oct. 7, 1780. Seven miles south in S.C. National Park — Map (db m17658) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — O 5 — Kings Mountain Battleground
Site of decisive British defeat on Oct. 7, 1780. National Military park located 5 mi. southeast in South Carolina. — Map (db m17659) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — Lincoln Academy — 1888-1955
Founder: Emily Pruden, educator and philanthropist from Orange, Connecticut. A co-educational boarding and day school, grades 1-12, for children of African descent. Accredited 1923. Home of Mildred Wellmon Elementary School, a historic Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m108710) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — Patriots Park
Named by Holly Melton’s Class of 2000 at Kings Mountain High School to honor the soldiers who fought nearby during the Revolutionary War. — Map (db m35245) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — William Andrew Mauney House — Local Historic Landmark
An early settler to Kings Mountain, William Andrew Mauney built a store on this site circa 1870. When Mr. Mauney moved his business to a location in downtown Kings Mountain, he turned the store ninety degrees and added a two story structure to the . . . — Map (db m17703) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Polkville — O-75 — Mount Harmony United Methodist Church
Congregation organized by 1791. Cemetery and present building, the church's forth, are one mile west. — Map (db m23544) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — Cleveland County Civil War Monument
In honor of the Confederate Heroes of Cleveland County 1861-1865 Lest We Forget — Map (db m36238) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — Cleveland County Korean and Vietnam War Memorial
In honor of the men who served from Cleveland County and in grateful memory, for a grateful people, of these who gave their lives in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. In Memoriam Korea Claude Allen • Elmer G. Allen • Arthur Berry, Jr. . . . — Map (db m23540) WM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — Cleveland County World War I Memorial — 1917-1919
Honoring those from Cleveland County, who served in the World War and the following who made the supreme sacrifice Honor Roll Harvey N. Allen • Wm. Barrett • E. O. Cabaniss • John Carver • Calvin Cook • Ira A. Crabtree • Broadus V. . . . — Map (db m23537) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — Cleveland County World War II Memorial — 1941-1945
In honor of the men and women who served from Cleveland County and in grateful memory, from a grateful people, of these who gave their lives in World War II Alexander, William B. • Asbury, Eugen M. • Barber, David H. • Barrins, Carl L. • . . . — Map (db m80476) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — O-48 — Clyde R. Hoey
United States Senator, 1945-54, congressman, governor, N.C. legislator, lawyer, editor. Home is 1 mi, grave 1.2 mi, N.E. — Map (db m23529) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — Metcalfe Station
Land, original buildings and boxcar given in loving memory of Quincy Hague Metcalfe by the Gene Metcalfe family. From this site Mr. Q. H. Metcalfe supervised section crews for the Lawndale Railway and Industrial Company, 1899-1943. — Map (db m23546) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — O-27 — O. Max Gardner — 1882-1947
Governor, 1929-33; under Secretary of U.S. Treasury; appointed Ambassador to Great Britain, 1946. Birthplace stands here, grave 300 yds. N. — Map (db m23533) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — O-24 — Plato Durham
Confederate captain; legislator; member of conventions of 1868, '75; conservative leader in Reconstruction period. His home was 100 ft. S. — Map (db m23535) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — O-72 — Thomas Dixon Jr. — 1864-1946
Minister, politician, & author. Film "Birth of a Nation" was based on his novel The Clansman. Grave is 1500 ft. N. — Map (db m23531) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — O-71 — W. J. Cash — 1900-1941
Author of The Mind of the South. Editor & journalist. His grave is located 1600 ft. N. — Map (db m23534) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Shelby — Webbley — Circa 1852
These grounds are a part of the original 147 acre tract donated by James Love to form the Town of Shelby in 1841. Augustus W. Burton built the original house in 1852; J.A. and Oliver Gardner Anthony overbuilt the 1852 house in 1907. Webbley is named . . . — Map (db m23543) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement