Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Columbus County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Cornwallis Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, February 5, 2017
Cornwallis Marker
North Carolina (Columbus County), Riegelwood — D-21 — Cornwallis
Retreating after Battle of Guilford Courthouse, en route to Wilmington, passed near here with his army in April 1781. — Map (db m101314) HM
North Carolina (Columbus County), Tabor City — Mt. Tabor
Baptist Church est. here in 1840. Community settled in 1850ís. Railroad terminus located, 1886. Incorporated 1805. Charter changed to Tabor City, 1935. Former “Yam Capital” of the World. — Map (db m862) HM
North Carolina (Columbus County), Tabor City — The Tabor City Tribune
Established by Stanly County native W. Horace Carter in 1946. Won the Pulitzer Prize for Meritorious Public Service in 1953. Named changed to Tabor-Loris Tribune in 1996. — Map (db m863) HM
North Carolina (Columbus County), Whiteville — D 74 — Millie ~ Christine McKoy
Black Siamese twins born near here, 1851. exhibited in U.S. and Europe. Died in 1912. Grave is five miles N. — Map (db m20458) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement