On Old Salisbury Road (State Highway 1138) 0.1 miles north of Sowers Road (State Highway 1139), on the right when traveling north.
General Nathanael Greene in his masterly retreat from the British army under Lord Cornwallis, crossed the Yadkin at Trading Ford, one-half mile southeast of this spot, February 2-3, 1781. A sudden rise in the river prevented the passage of the . . . — — Map (db m43430) HM
On N Main Street near W Center Street, on the right when traveling south.
In 1750, Daniel Boone, age 16, came with his father from Pennsylvania and settled near Boone’s Ford on Yadkin River, then in Rowan, now Davidson County. Near this spot, in 1781, the American Army under Gen. Nathanael Greene passed on its way from . . . — — Map (db m34377) HM
On E Center Street, on the right when traveling east.
President Jefferson Davis and his entourage paused here in Lexington on April 16-17, 1865, as the Confederate government fled south after the April 3 evacuation of Richmond, Virginia. While here, Davis telegraphed Gen. Joseph E. Johnston as to the . . . — — Map (db m34182) HM
On S Main Street at E Center Street, on the left when traveling south on S Main Street.
Erected by The Robert E. Lee Chapter Daughters of the Confederacy No. 324 Sept. 14, 1905. [ Back of Monument: ] Sleep sweetly in your humble graves. Sleep martyrs of a fallen cause. For lo, a marble column craves the pilgrim here to pause. . . . — — Map (db m34392) HM
Near Yokley Road 0.6 miles east of Ridge Road, on the left when traveling east.
For an hour on the evening of Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865, a pine grove outside Lexington became the de facto seat of government for the Confederate States of America and the state of North Carolina. President Jefferson Davis and his cabinet, . . . — — Map (db m77700) HM
On S Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Homestead was the home of Dr. William R. Holt, one of antebellum North Carolina’s most versatile and talented men, with interests in medicine, agriculture, education, religion, transportation, and manufacturing. In May 1865, when Dr. Holt . . . — — Map (db m34190) HM
On West Main Street west of Salem Street (North Carolina Highway 109), on the right when traveling west.
Site of the home place of
John W. Thomas
Founder of the city of
"John W. Thomas, the founder of Thomasville, lived in “a grand mansion” in the center of town, across the street from the town commons. . . . — — Map (db m70005) HM
On Interstate 85, on the right when traveling south.
The North Carolina Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park Dedicated to the 216,000 North Carolinians who served and the over 1,600 who sere killed or missing in the Vietnam War Memorial Day 1991 — — Map (db m63387) WM
On E Main Street at Memorial Park Drive, on the right when traveling north on E Main Street.
During the Civil War, Thomasville became a hospital center that treated the sick and wounded, civilian and soldier alike. From 1862 to 1865, a local doctor, D. W. Smith, operated a smallpox hospital just outside of town. In March 1865, Surgeon Simon . . . — — Map (db m34232) HM
On West Main Street at Trade Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street.
John W. Thomas, who represented this area in the state legislature in the mid-1800s, laid out the town of Thomasville in 1852 on the proposed route of the North Carolina Railroad. Three years later, the line was completed to the new town, and the . . . — — Map (db m70006) HM WM
Near Memorial Park Drive, on the right when traveling west.
(Preface): John W. Thomas, who represented this area in the state legislature in the mid-1800s, laid out the town of Thomasville in 1852 on the proposed route of the North Carolina Railroad. Three years later, the line was completed to the . . . — — Map (db m34234) HM