Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gaston County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Belmont Abbey College Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, September 28, 2017
Belmont Abbey College Marker
North Carolina (Gaston County), Belmont — O 57 — Belmont Abbey College
Roman Catholic. Liberal arts coeducational college. Founded, 1876, by Order of St. Benedict. One mile north. — Map (db m108787) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Belmont — Belmont World War II Memorial The Spirit Of The Fighting Yank
Erected In Honor Of All Who Served In World War II And Dedicated To The Everlasting Memory Of Those Who Gave Their Lives. — Map (db m84063) WM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Belmont — O 83 — Flood of 1916
Devastated western N.C. and western Piedmont; destroyed homes, crops, mills, bridges. Ten lives lost, July 16, in washout of trestle 1 mile south. — Map (db m108785) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Belmont — O 20 — Goshen Presbyterian Church
Established 1764. Rev. Humphrey Hunter, the first minister, arrived in 1796. Moved to present site, 2 mi. NW, in 1956. — Map (db m108786) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Belmont — O 42 — William Chronicle
Major in Revolution, leader of Lincoln County forces at the battle of Kings Mountain, 1780, where he was killed. His home stood nearby. — Map (db m83249) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Cherryville Veterans Memorial
World War I Dourus Dalton Beam Guyser Canipe John Q. Homesley Alfonso L. Mauney Clarence leonard Waters Phillip S. Hullet

World War II H. Clinton Adams David Alferd Baxter Francis Wayne Baxter Thomas Quay . . . — Map (db m44603) WM

North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — City Jail
This nineteenth century building was used only for the incarceration of an occasional drunk. Logs are joined with square notches, with weatherboard gable ends and a gable roof. — Map (db m44472) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Federal Bonded Liquor Warehouse
The log building was built by Benaja Black in the 1800's, when the area was known as White Pines. Corn was the main crop at this time. Farmers received permits to make corn whiskey. It was brought to this warehouse, put into barrels, and shipped . . . — Map (db m44468) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — John F Black School House
This simple schoolhouse, built in 1898, is typical of small schools built in the turn of the century. Was built on land belonging to John F. Black and served until 1912 when a larger school replaced it. — Map (db m44464) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Noah Benjamin Kendrick House 1922
The home of business, civic, religious and educational leader and member of the North Carolina Legislature. Designed to demonstrate the quality of the products of Kendrick Brick and tile. — Map (db m44480) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Orignal City Hall Cherryville, N.C.
First used as city hall in 1892 Built by M.L. Rudisill, Mayor at that time Prior to 1892, the city council met in store buildings or in homes of members. The town paid $15.00 per year rent until the building was donated to town . . . — Map (db m44470) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Smoke House
The log building was built by Benaja Black in 1847, when the area was known as White Pines. The logs are securely joined with pegs. Meat was cured here by subjecting it to dense smoke, and it was stored here during the winter or until used. — Map (db m44474) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cramerton — O 76 — Stuart W. Cramer 1868-1940
Engineer and inventor. Pioneered advances in textile mill air conditioning. Home 3 mi. SW. — Map (db m108711) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Confederate Soldiers Monument
(Front): Confederate Soldiers monument On these grounds between 1861-1865 over 1500 men from Gaston County answered the call of their State and County to Defend the South in the War between the States. (Back): Co. 1-11 87th . . . — Map (db m18586) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — O 50 — Dallas
Named for G.M. Dallas. First seat of Gaston County, 1846~1911;site of Gaston College, now extinct. Courthouse built 1848 is here. — Map (db m18573) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Eli Hoyle House C.1832
One of the finest surviving federal style houses in Gaston County. Built as the seat of a 356 acre plantation. Part of the Ancestral Hoyle Family Lands. Listed on the local & National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m44380) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — First Gaston County Courthouse
On This square was located the Courthouse of Gaston County from 1847 until the County seat was moved to Gastonia in 1911. The first structure, built of logs, was replaced by a brick building in 1848. The interior of this latter building, together . . . — Map (db m18582) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Gaston County Courthouse (former) -1848-
This Greek Revival structure served as the county courthouse from 1848 to 1911, when the county seat moved to Gastonia. It marks the center of the Dallas Historic District, a Federal Register site. — Map (db m18577) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Gaston County Home 1904
On this site c.1874 structures existed to provide for the upkeep of the less fortunate, an imposing structure for its time and purpose, it gives physical and concrete evidence of the caring qualities of the people of Gaston County. — Map (db m18616) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Hoffman Hotel 1852
Hotel provided lodging for visitors to town and court sessions, and for male students of the original Gaston College. Jury was sequestered on the third floor "Bull Pen." Daniel Hoffman was the builder, Jonas Hoffman, Second proprietor, structure . . . — Map (db m18610) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Jail - 1848
This building with the West addition served as the Gaston County Jail until 1911 when the County seat was moved to Gastonia. The Sheriff and his family had living quarters on the first floor. The second floor still contains the main cell block. — Map (db m18614) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Rhyne Store 1850
Built as a General Store with living quarters upstairs by cotton manufacturing industry pioneer Moses H. Rhyne this structure also served as a Post Office and as a site of County Court during rebuilding of the Court House damaged by fire in 1874. — Map (db m18609) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Smyre - Pasour House 1850
Built by Dr. J.F. Smyre This building was sold in 1851 to Ely Pasour, State Legislator, Postmaster and First Mayor of Dallas. The northern addition was used as a classroom for privately tutoring boys. The granite upping block near the street was . . . — Map (db m18612) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Vietnam Memorial July 4, 1974
This Monument is given by the town of Dallas and the Dallas Jaycees and is Dedicated to the memory of the brave young men of Dallas who Sacrificed their lives in the Vietnam Conflict. Jerry L. Addis, U.S. Army, Jun 24, 1969 Roy Neal Burris, . . . — Map (db m18608) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — William C. Friday Educator
As President of the University of North Carolina from 1956-86, he developed it into a 16 campus system and a national model. Respected nationwide for his compassion, vision, leadership and integrity. Born July 13, 1920 to Lathan and Beth Friday, . . . — Map (db m18580) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Gastonia — O 65 — Daniel E. Rhyne 1852-1931
Textile, furniture, and wagon manufacturer and banker. A benefactor of Lenoir Rhyne College. His grave 100 yds. E. — Map (db m70046) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Gastonia — King's Pinnacle
King's Pinnacle is named for the unique formation at its summit resembling a king's crown. The pinnacle is the highest peak in the park at 1,705 feet in elevation. It towers more than 800 feet above the surrounding landscape. It's elevation is . . . — Map (db m23399) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Gastonia — O 81 — Loray Strike
A strike in 1929 at the Loray Mill, 200 yards S., left two dead and spurred opposition to labor unions statewide. — Map (db m70045) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Gastonia — O 78 — North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital
State institution for crippled children, 1921 - 1979. R.B. Babington was its first president; O.L. Miller, founding surgeon. — Map (db m108788) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Gastonia — O 56 — R. Gregg Cherry
Governor of North Carolina, 1945 ~ 1949. State legislator. Promoted good roads and rural electrification. Grave is 3 miles S.E. — Map (db m108789) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), High Shoals — O 54 — John Fulenwider
Founder of High Shoals Iron Works about 1795. One of first producers of pig iron by charcoal process. Revolutionary patriot. Buried 20 yds. W. — Map (db m18571) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement