Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Halifax County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
“Enfield Riot” Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, February 14, 2009
“Enfield Riot” Marker
North Carolina (Halifax County), Enfield — E-67 — “Enfield Riot”
Here in 1759 Lord Granville’s land agents were compelled to give bond to return illegal fees. This was a forerunner of Regulators. — Map (db m16242) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Enfield — E 104 — Bartholomew F. Moore1801-1878
Noted lawyer. Attorney general of N.C., 1848-51. Compiled Revised Code in 1854. Opposed secession. Born 7/10 mile west. — Map (db m70517) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Enfield — E 73 — Eden Church
Methodist. An active congregation by 1789. Present building, 1890-1900, is third on site. — Map (db m70520) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Enfield — E 79 — Henry B. Bradford1761 - 1833
Early Methodist Protestant minister; educator; and soldier in the Revolution. Founded Bradford's Church on this site circa 1792. — Map (db m31070) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Enfield — E 103 — James E. O'Hara1844-1905
Black political leader. Member, U.S. House of Representatives, 1883-1887. Practiced law in Enfield. Lived 1/10 mi. S. — Map (db m98235) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Enfield — E 16 — John Branch
Governor of N.C., 1817-20, and of the Florida Territory, Secretary of the Navy, U.S. Senator. Home was four blocks, grave is ½ mile, west. — Map (db m59066) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-52 — "Colonial Churchyard"
Graves of Confederate general Junius Daniel, editor Abraham Hodge, United States District Judge John Sitgreaves, are 1 block northeast. — Map (db m46231) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Colonial Punishment
During North Carolina’s early history, authorities used jails to house inmates before they could be tried or have their sentences carried out. Unlike today, jails were not usually used to punish offenders. Instead, corporal punishment was the norm . . . — Map (db m60690) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-12 — Cornwallis
The British Army under Gen. George Cornwallis marching to Virginia defeated the local Militia at the town of Halifax in May, 1781. — Map (db m16173) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-68 — Eagle Tavern
Built in 1790s. Banquet for Lafayette held on February 27, 1825 when tavern was on its original site 900 feet northeast. — Map (db m46233) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Eagle Tavern
The portion of the tavern that remains today was built around 1790. It was moved from its original location sometime after 1838. After years as a private residence it was moved to this location in 1976. The original Eagle Tavern operated during . . . — Map (db m60697) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Early American Taverns
Taverns in colonial North Carolina, as in other parts of the country, were a vital part of the local economy and lifestyle. Travelers could find a place to sleep and a meal to eat as they made their way across the state. Local citizens used taverns . . . — Map (db m60696) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Escape!The Roanoke River, Halifax, and the Underground Railroad.
Follow this ¼ mile trail to the Roanoke River and meet the men, women, and children who risked their lives to flee slavery. “…the thought of being again made a slave, and of suffering the horrible punishment of a runaway, restrained me. I . . . — Map (db m60699) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Halifax Colonial Jails
The citizens of Halifax constructed three jails between 1759 and 1838. The first two stood near this spot. The North Carolina General Assembly ordered the construction of the first jail, along with the stocks and a pillory, for the “detention . . . — Map (db m60689) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Halifax Courthouse
A 1758 act of North Carolina colonial assembly required the court for the Northampton, Edgecombe, and Granville districts to be moved from Enfield to Halifax. On the lot in front of you, the colony constructed a new courthouse, along with a jail, . . . — Map (db m60692) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Halifax Runaway Ads
Halifax Newspapers, such as the Roanoke Advocate and Halifax Minerva, included runaway ads, which usually offered rewards for an escaped slave’s return. Captured fugitives were often held in Halifax Jail and their owners were . . . — Map (db m60700) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-39 — Hutchins G. Burtonca. 1774–1836
Governor, 1824–1827; Attorney General of N.C.; Congressman. His home was 400 yards west. — Map (db m16241) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-3 — Independence
The “Halifax Resolves,” first formal sanction of American Independence, adopted in this town, april 12, 1776. — Map (db m16174) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-99 — John H. Eaton1790-1856
Secretary of War under Andrew Jackson; United States Senator from Tennessee; Florida governor; United States minister to Spain. Born here. — Map (db m46309) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-8 — Masonic Lodge
Chartered 1767. Building was erected in 1769. Joseph Montfort, "Grand Master of America," is buried there. 500 yards east. — Map (db m46312) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Montfort Archaeological Museum
A 1769 map of Halifax shows a large building on this site. This lot, along with three surrounding ones, belonged to Joseph Montfort, a man of high standing in 18th-century North Carolina. He served as Clerk of Court for Edgecomb and Halifax . . . — Map (db m60687) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E98 — North Carolina Constitution
The first constitution of the independent state was adopted in Halifax on December 18, 1776. — Map (db m46313) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Ram Albemarle
The Confederate ironclad Albemarle was outfitted in Halifax with machinery and guns before sailing down river into action, 1864. — Map (db m70528) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Site of First Courthouse
. . . — Map (db m60691) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — The Free Church of Halifax
In 1793, the first Halifax church was built at this location. The Free Church was open to all denominations. Services were held until the 1850’s when congregations began to build their own churches. In 1911 the church fell in disrepair and . . . — Map (db m60694) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — The Market Green
The market green played an important role in the growth and development of Halifax. The town’s original plan called for the green to take up both sides of King Street. In time, however, the courthouse, jail, and other public buildings occupied the . . . — Map (db m60693) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — The Owens House
This Georgian style house with a gambled roof was built elsewhere about 1760 and moved here by 1880. It is named for George Owens, a prominent and prosperous Halifax merchant. The house had many owners through the years and was occupied until . . . — Map (db m60698) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — The Sally Billy House
Constructed around 1808 for a Halifax County planter named Lewis Bond, this house was originally located near Scotland Neck. In 1834, William “Billy” Ruffin Smith Sr. and his wife Sarah, or “Sally” bought it. Smith, a county . . . — Map (db m60688) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — The Tap Room
Constructed in 1760, this building was given the name “Tap Room” by twentieth-century historians. It has had many names and alterations in the past, including “Pope’s Hotel,” which had an adjoining building containing 19 . . . — Map (db m60695) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-25 — Washington’s Southern Tour
President Washington was a visitor in the town of Halifax, on April 16-17, 1791. — Map (db m16177) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-4 — William R. Davie
Lived here. Revolutionary hero, member Federal Convention, governor, envoy to France, "Father of the University." — Map (db m46321) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-9 — Willie Jones
Statesman of revolutionary era, leading champion of democracy in N. C. His home, “The Grove,” stood 400 yards west. — Map (db m16225) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Littleton — E 120 — Ella Baker1903-1986
Civil rights leader. She organized the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, April 1960, at Shaw University. Her childhood home ¼ mi. E. — Map (db m86481) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Littleton — E 106 — Plummer Bernard Young(1884-1962)
Journalist. Publisher of Norfolk Journal & Guide, 1910-1962, leading black-owned newspaper in the South. Birthplace nearby. — Map (db m86482) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Roanoke Rapids — E 81 — First Kraft Pulp in United States
Was made here by the sulphate process using southern pine in 1909,by the Roanoke Rapids Paper Manufacturing Company. — Map (db m70529) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Roanoke Rapids — Roanoke Canal"Duly Appreciated" — Confederate Lifeline
The Roanoke Navigation Company - a collaboration among North Carolina, Virginia, and private shareholders - began building the Roanoke Canal in 1819. The company created an inland navigation system from the upper Staunton and Dan Rivers in Virginia, . . . — Map (db m58901) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Roanoke Rapids — E 34 — Roanoke Canal
Canal and locks completed around river rapids, 1834. Highway crosses canal route here. A lock is 200 feet south. — Map (db m58903) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-49 — Claude Kitchin1869-1923
Congressman, 1901-23, Democratic majority leader, 1915-19. Opposed war declaration; later supported Wilson's war policies. Home is here. — Map (db m31223) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-47 — Gallberry
Built about 1885. Home of three congressmen, W. H. Kitchin and his sons Wm. W. (governor, 1909-1913) and Claude. — Map (db m31233) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-11 — Ram Albemarle
Noted Confederate ironclad, was built near this spot, 1863-64. Aided in recapture of Plymouth, April, 1864. — Map (db m31210) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-53 — Roanoke River
Early channel of trade, its valley long an area of plantations. Frequent floods until 1952, since controlled by Kerr Dam. Old name was "Moratuck." — Map (db m31181) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-50 — Trinity Church
Episcopal. Established about 1732. This building, the third, was erected in 1854, in part with brick from an older church. — Map (db m31212) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-46 — W. W. Kitchin1866-1924
Governor, 1909-1913; congressman, 1897-1908; & attorney. His grave is 240 yards south. — Map (db m31222) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Scotland Neck — E-48 — Whitmel Hill
Colonel in Revolution. Member of Continental Congress, 1778-1781; of Provincial Congresses; and of state legislature. Grave 125 yds. S.E. — Map (db m31217) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Tillery — E 94 — Caledonia
State prison farm since 1892. Antebellum plantation owned by Johnston family. Name predates 1713. Two miles N.E. — Map (db m60660) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Tillery — E 113 — Tillery Resettlement
Est. 1935; New Deal farm project. 350 black families from N.C., S.C., Fla., Ark., Va. purchased homesteads. Restored house 1 mi. E. — Map (db m60659) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — E-105 — Benjamin S. Turner1825-1894
U.S. Congressman, 1871-1873, representing Ala.; merchant and farmer in Selma, Ala. Born into slavery one mile south. — Map (db m31111) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — E-35 — Roanoke Canal
Canal and locks around river rapids completed 1834 by Roanoke Navigation Company. Highway crosses route of canal at this point. — Map (db m46315) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — Rockfish Capital of the WorldTown of Weldon
The Myth of Rocky the Giant Rockfish While doing research on the historic Weldon fish hatchery, I cam across a fishing story that was so unbelievable that I felt I had to share it with others. It starts on a crisp March morning 1904, with a . . . — Map (db m64828) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — Weldon RailroadsA Convergence of Commerce — Landscape of the Iron Horse
When the Roanoke Navigation Canal opened in 1824, the terminus at "Welden's Orchard" soon replaced Halifax as the region's commercial trading hub. The shallow-draft batteau coming downstream transferred their goods to larger commercial vessels . . . — Map (db m64833) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — Wilmington & Weldon RR TrestleLee's Lifeline — Confederate Lifeline
Located on the Roanoke River, the town of Weldon was one of the South's major transportation hubs at the beginning of the Civil War. By 1861, the town served as an important stop for steamboats and canal boats, and it was the junction of the . . . — Map (db m43459) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — E-23 — Wilmington and Weldon Railroad
Longest railroad in the world when completed in 1840. Length 161 1/2 mi. Terminus was nearby. — Map (db m31091) HM

52 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement