Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mecklenburg County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Boeing/Vertol CH-46A/E Sea Knight Helicopter image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, September 21, 2008
Boeing/Vertol CH-46A/E Sea Knight Helicopter
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Boeing/Vertol CH-46A/E Sea Knight
The Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight is a medium-lift tandem rotor cargo helicopter, used by the United States Marine Corps (USMC) to provide all-weather, day-or-night assault transport of combat troops, supplies and equipment. Assault Support is its primary . . . — Map (db m63713) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L5 — Branch U.S. Mint
Stood a few feet southwest. Operated 1837-61, 1867-1913. Razed, 1933, and rebuilt as art museum three miles east. — Map (db m92881) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — 3 — British Encampment, 1780
From September 26 to October 12, 1780, the Southern British Army was encamped in Charlotte. The camp totaled about 4,000 people including officers, soldiers, loyalists, laborers, sutlers, and camp followers. The encampment was a square, about 400 . . . — Map (db m95843) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 25 — Camp Greene
World War I training camp operated here on 6,000 acres, 1917-1919. Named for Revolutionary War Gen. Nat'l Greene. — Map (db m106220) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 110 — Camp New Providence
Encampment, Oct.-Dec. 1780, of N.C. militia & Continental Army, where Patriots laid plans to confront Cornwallis. Site was just west of here. — Map (db m44935) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L-105 — Charlotte Speedway
"Strictly Stock" race, June 19, 1949, launched NASCAR sanctioned series. ľ-mile dirt track was 200 yds. W. — Map (db m57096) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 3 — Confederate Cabinet
With President Davis held last full meetings April 22-26, 1865 in a house which was located here. — Map (db m16818) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — General Paul R. Younts Expressway
Honoring a distinguished business, civic and military leader. Member of North Carolina Highway Commission 1961-1965. — Map (db m16789) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Good Samaritan Hospital(1891-1961)
Site of the first independent private hospital in North Carolina built exclusively for African Americans. Established by Jane Renwick Smedberg Wilkes of St. Peter's Episcopal Church. One of the oldest black hospitals then in operation in . . . — Map (db m16793) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Graham Family Homeplace
Built by Billy's Father William Franklin Graham, in the 1920's on Park Road, just a few miles east of this site. — Map (db m88580) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 43 — J. P. Caldwell
Editor of Statesville "Landmark" (1880-92), Charlotte "Observer" (1892-1909). His home stood at this point. — Map (db m16794) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Jefferson Davis Informed of Lincoln's Death
Jefferson Davis was standing here when informed of Lincoln's death April 18, 1865 — Map (db m39827) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 115 — Mecklenburg Resolves
Bold set of anti-British resolutions, adopted on May 31, 1775, in meeting 50 yds., S.W. organized by Thomas Polk, fired spirit of independence. — Map (db m95844) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Memorial to Lieut. Col. George LockeRevolutionary War Hero Lieut. Col. George Locke
Lieut. Col. George Locke, killed by Tarleton's Dragoons, Sept. 26, 1780, Mecklenburg Chapter D.A.R. 1911 — Map (db m66659) WM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Mike McCormack
Counselor and Friend President of Carolina Panthers 1994-1997 NFL Hall of Fame Inductee 1984 Cleveland Browns 1954-1962 — Map (db m16791) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Mrs. "Stonewall Jackson" 1831-1915
Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, Mecklenburg native and widow of Confederate General T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson, lived many years on this site. Her home was a mecca for Confederate soldiers and dignitaries including Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and . . . — Map (db m92880) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 109 — N. C. League of Municipalities
Founded 1908 to promote sound civic management; Progressive era reform. First meeting held here attended by delegates from across the state. — Map (db m16795) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — PFC Raymond “Mike” Clausen Memorial
(front) 14 October 1947 30 May 2004 Helicopter Squadron HMM 263 DaNang RVN 31 January 1970 (rear) USMC Medal of Honor 31 Jan 1970 PFC Raymond Mike Clausen Jr Citation For conspicuous . . . — Map (db m63729) WM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 113 — Romare Bearden1911-1988
African American artist and writer. Many of his collages were inspired by childhood memories of N.C. Born 1 block N.W. — Map (db m95842) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — Site of the U.S. Branch Mint1837-61, 1867-1913
For assay and coinage of local gold during the Carolinas gold rush, the first gold discovered in America. William Strickland designed the building. In 1936 the Mint was moved to the Eastover area to become The Mint Museum of Art. — Map (db m92882) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — St. Peter's Episcopal Church
St.Peter's Episcopal Church was established as a mission in 1834 and became a parish in the episcopal diocese of North Carolina in 1844. The first church building was located on West Trade Street a few blocks from the square. The church purchased . . . — Map (db m16827) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — L 107 — Steele Creek Church
The Presbyterian congregation was organized before 1760 by Scots-Irish settlers. Robert Henry, the first permanent pastor, arrived in 1766. Rev. James McRee served from 1778 to 1797. Sugar Creek was the first Presbyterian church in the region, . . . — Map (db m109845) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — The Last Meetings of the Confederate Cabinet
The Last Meetings of the Confederate Cabinet were held in this building and the surrender of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston was Authorized from here on April 24th. 1865 — Map (db m74963) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Davidson — L40 — D.H. Hill
Lieutenant General, C.S.A.; Supt. N.C. Military Institute in Charlotte; Davidson College professor; Editor, “The Land We Love.” Grave is here. — Map (db m72902) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — “Upping Block”
Used near here in early days of this church Presbyterian Church Beatties Ford Road Huntersville, N.C. — Map (db m63276) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — Gen. William Lee Davidson Was Killed
Cowan’s Ford, Catawba River where the Revolutionary Hero Gen’l. William Lee Davidson was killed in action Feb. 1, 1781 Born at Lancaster, Pa. 1746 -------•------- Davidson College Founded 1837 -------•------- Erected by Edward Lee Baxter . . . — Map (db m63060) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — General William Lee Davidson
To the memory of General William Lee Davidson of Mecklenburg County N.C. Born in 1746. Youngest son of George Davidson of Lancaster, PA. who moved to Mecklenburg Co., North Carolina, in 1750. Major 4th Reg. North Carolina Troops. Promoted . . . — Map (db m63062) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — Historic Latta Plantation
Historic home of James Latta (1755 – 1837). Last remaining Catawba River cotton plantation open to the public. Sample family home from 1853 – 1922. Sample sons fought at Gettysburg in General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. . . . — Map (db m62995) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — Hopewell Presbyterian Church
Hopewell Presbyterian Church organized 1762 by Rev. Alexander McWhorter for the Synod of Philadelphia, Pa. First permanent Pastor Rev. Samuel C. Caldwell ( Second Marker : ) Hopewell Presbyterian Church has been placed on the National . . . — Map (db m63388) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — How McGuire Works
McGuire generates electricity just like Marshall Steam Station except that it uses special uranium pellets instead of coal as its fuel. Loaded into fuel assemblies inside McGuire’s two reactor vessels, the uranium atoms split – or fission . . . — Map (db m63277) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — Richard Barry(1726 – 1801)
Tanner Legislator Signer of Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence Co-founder of:       HopewellPresbyterian Church       City of Charlotte       Mecklenburg County       N.C. Superior Court He recovered General William L. Davidson’s body . . . — Map (db m63065) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — Signers of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence
May 20, 1775 Abraham Alexander, Chairman • John McKnitt Alexander, Secretary • Ephraim Brevard, Clerk Hezekiah Alexander • Ezra Alexander • Adam Alexander • Charles Alexander • Waightstill Avery • Hezekiah J. Balch • . . . — Map (db m1579) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — The Church Building
The building before you dates back to 1833. It is the oldest, standing, continuously used worship facility in Mecklenburg County. It was the second bricked Presbyterian Church in rural North Carolina. As the third building on the site, it pre-dates . . . — Map (db m63271) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — The Oldest Cemetery and the Walls
You are standing before the oldest continuously existing human institution in northern Mecklenburg County: Hopewell Presbyterian Church. There were seven churches in this southern region of North Carolina Piedmont before the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m63275) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — The Servant Entrance
The door to your left was called the “servant entrance”. Actually it was the entrance and exit for slaves who were members of the church. Presbyterians rarely used the term “slave” preferring “servant”. The door . . . — Map (db m63273) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — L 23 — William Lee Davidson
Whig general, was killed at Cowan’s Ford. Feb. 1, 1781. Davidson College and Davidson County are named for him. — Map (db m62993) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Pineville — L-38 — South Carolina
Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which was chartered in 1663, it was first settled by the English in 1670. One of the 13 original states. — Map (db m11045) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement