This historical marker[,] placed near Edminston store[,] records two homesteads of the Daniel Boone family in Wilkes County during the 1760's.
Site Number One is located one-half mile South of the spot, near Beaver Creek.
The Boone Family . . . — — Map (db m57262) HM
600 acres of mountain, field and forest comprise this memorial to the late E. B. Jeffress. A native North Carolinian, Mr. Jeffress rose to prominence as a newspaper publisher. While chairman of the State Highway Commission, he was instrumental in . . . — — Map (db m134211) HM
In 1868 in neighboring Wilkes County, N.C., the newspaper printed the following: “Thomas C. Dula suffered the extreme penalty of the law by hanging… convicted of murder…” During his last days in jail tradition says he composed his tragic . . . — — Map (db m134213) HM
All the materials Martin Brinegar needed for building a cabin were here on this farm—trees, rocks, even clay. Martin Brinegar began building this cabin in 1886. Working in his spare time, it took him three years to finish the original cabin . . . — — Map (db m123406) HM
For nearly sixty years, Martin and Caroline Brinegar lived on this 125 acre farm leading lives based on hard work, self-sufficiency, and an abiding religious faith. Descendants of their three children often come here to visit the homeplace.
. . . — — Map (db m123296) HM
Caroline Brinegar had to plan ahead for many months to make a garment. She made her family's clothes from a fabric called linsey-woolsey that she wove on her loom. Linsey-woolsey is woven from wool yarn and linen (flax) thread. The wool made the . . . — — Map (db m123297) HM
The Brinegars were not famous or rich, but they were important to their families and neighbors. In 1876 Martin Brinegar purchased this 125 acre farm from Henderson Crouse, Caroline Joines' uncle, for $200. Two years later Martin and Caroline were . . . — — Map (db m123298) HM
The site of Fort Hamby is located about half a mile south of here. The two-story log house was not a military fortification. It got its name after 20 to 30 Union and Confederate deserters occupied it at the end of the war. Their leader, who gave his . . . — — Map (db m55373) HM