Dr. Lower was born May 6, 1867 and reared on a farm near Chili, Ohio, Crawford Twp. He attended Chili School and graduated from Western Reserve University Medical School in 1891. Dr. Lower performed the first leg amputation in 1898. In 1900 he . . . — — Map (db m69144) HM
On the hill north of here was made, in 1764.
The memorable treaty which brought almost continuous peace between the Indians and the Whites.
The expedition of 1500 men, under Col. Henry Bouquet, marched from Fort Pitt reaching the Forks of the . . . — — Map (db m3289) HM
1764. Lt.Col. Henry Bouquet with 1500 British regulars and American Militia penetrated the Ohio wilderness to crush Chief Pontiac’s Indian conspiracy.
Here at the forks of the Muskingum River during October and November, Bouquet subdued the . . . — — Map (db m3286) HM
Around the spring nearby, was perpetrated, on April 20, 1781, the massacre of 20 Indians by Col. Daniel Broadhead's army of 300. This slaying was committed following destruction, the same day, of the two villages, Goschachgunk, (Coshocton) and . . . — — Map (db m14707) HM
In memory of all who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice including the following from Coshocton County
Francis E. Appis Charles D. Rubel
George H. Babcock Hubert W. Shurtz
Ralph R. Carr . . . — — Map (db m14708) WM
This memorial is dedicated to those who served, those who died, and those still missing.
Erected by Coshocton County Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 159 with the support of the citizens of Coshocton County
Killed in Action
Michael S. . . . — — Map (db m14718) HM
In lasting tribute to the sons & daughters of Coshocton County who served in the wars of their country
Let none forget, they gave their all
And faltered not, when came the call
To keep forever living the
Freedom for which they served — — Map (db m14721) HM
Goschachgunk (Blackbear Town), now Coshocton, was the capital city of the Delaware Nation. On this parkway stood their Council House. In this House on March 9, 1777, a Great Council of the Delawares, under the leadership of Chief White Eyes, met and . . . — — Map (db m300) HM
1904–1984. Beautification of this courthouse square was provided through funds bequeathed to the Coshocton Rotary Club and the Coshocton Foundation by Raymond M. Hay.
Raymond Hay operated Hay Jewelry for many years and was well known and . . . — — Map (db m297) HM
In 1764, Colonel Henry Bouquet established the site of what is now Coshocton. In 1811, the county was founded and the town incorporated as the county seat. The Coshocton County Courthouse, the third on this site, was built between 1873 and 1875 by . . . — — Map (db m298) HM
The present Visitor Center opened in 1992, relocating from a smaller building. The Visitor Center houses a fifty-four seat theater, an exhibit hall with canal-related information, visitor services and offices for support staff. The Founders Gallery . . . — — Map (db m97312) HM
William Green, President of the American Federation of Labor from 1924 until his death, 1852, began his amazing and strenuous climb to the top run of labor's ladder at age 16, in the Morgan Run Coal Mines in Coshocton County.
Born in Coshocton . . . — — Map (db m299) HM
On this site stood the Tavern of Charles "King Charley" Williams, first permanent white settler in Coshocton County. A native of Maryland, and born in 1764, Williams came here in 1801. He died in 1840. The dominant figure of his generation, he was . . . — — Map (db m344) HM
Agricultural development and cultivation on steep lands led to severe
soil erosion in the nation in the 1920s and 1930s. In response, the
United States Department of Agriculture established the Soil Conservation
Service SCS) in 1935. The SCS . . . — — Map (db m120131) HM
George Washington Crile was born in 1864 at Chili, in Crawford Township, Coshocton County. Before embarking on his notable medical career, he graduated from Northwestern Ohio Normal School (now Ohio Northern University) at . . . — — Map (db m15178) HM
This cemetery, established in 1810, is the final resting place of many of the founders of Plainfield and Linton Township. Besides the early date of its founding, it is notable for the number of armed forces veterans interred here, who represent . . . — — Map (db m15275) HM
The Caldersburgh Pearl was dedicated in 2001 as a full-sized replica of a three-cabin canal freighter (65' x 14'). The name Caldersburgh Pearl has special significance to Roscoe's past. Caldersburgh was the name of the original community (early . . . — — Map (db m27359) HM
This house was built c.1825 by Daniel Boyd, a weaver. Some time in the 1830s, and in the face of financial difficulties, Daniel and Jane Boyd deeded the house to the Methodist Episcopal Church to be the church parsonage.
Originally located in . . . — — Map (db m27368) HM
From 1833-1841 this property was owned by Joseph Kerr Johnson, father of John and David Johnson of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum and no relation to Maro Johnson. Built c.1833-1838, the house and property were purchased by Maro Johnson and John . . . — — Map (db m27369) HM
In 1842, Maro Johnson purchased a portion of lot #2. The deed read that Johnson had to have the property paid for and a respectable building erected on it within one year. Those terms were met. The building became Dr. Johnson's office. — — Map (db m27382) HM
This building, dedicated in the spring of 1987, was named in honor of Raymond Hay as a lasting memorial to the late Coshocton businessman for the many contributions he made to the Roscoe Village restoration and to Coschocton County. It is also . . . — — Map (db m26403) HM
This house, built by 1840, was the home of Jacob Welsh. Welsh is on record as having been a toll collector from 1836-1837.
Being a favorite of Mrs. Frances Montgomery, one of the founders of the restoration project, this was the first building . . . — — Map (db m26404) HM
James LeRetilley Sr. purchased the building in 1849, a year before his death. In 1825, he moved to Caldersburgh from Muskingum County and opened a general store. He was the first postmaster in Caldersburgh (1826). After the canal opened, LeRetilley . . . — — Map (db m27381) HM
James Taylor, owner of a Coshocton woolen mill, built a house and possibly the fruit cellar on this lot in 1826. Taylor moved to California in 1840. Subsequent owners include David Frew, a miller, farmer, and a postmaster, and Daniel Rose, a . . . — — Map (db m27383) HM
Built in 1831, this “Old Warehouse” was used to store large quantities of grain, hides, wool and produce. There was a dry goods store on the upper level. Known as the “Mill Store” in the 1830's, this was the natural place . . . — — Map (db m27379) HM
Roscoe has a long history with blacksmithing, but not always at this location. Originally consisting of a two-story center section with a one-story south wing, our smithy was constructed c.1890 as a stable. In 1905, the original south wing was . . . — — Map (db m26405) HM
Since its construction, this has always been a retail building: at one time a grocery store and once a mortuary. The upper floors contain private apartments.
The building is named after William Roscoe, an English poet and abolitionist. — — Map (db m27380) HM
The acknowledged host of the Underground Railroad in Coshocton County was Prior Foster, a well respected African American who lodged fugitive slaves in his shanty at Harbaugh Corner. He fed, sheltered, and clothed them and then . . . — — Map (db m36227) HM
Served in the Continental Army under the command of General Washington. Appointed as Accountant of the War Department by Washington and served under Presidents Adams, Jefferson and Madison. For his services in the Continental Army, received a land . . . — — Map (db m14872) HM
Opened in September, 1999
This fifteen-acre addition to the Valley View Cemetery was purchased in 1998 from Robert Bailey.
The addition is named for Franklin J. Fischer because of his dedication, commitment, and service to the Valley View . . . — — Map (db m14727) HM
In the early 1770s, Chief White Eyes (Koquechagachton) of the Delaware tribe founded White Eyes Town approximately two miles southeast of this marker on a plain near present day West Lafayette. A friend of the Moravian leader David Zeisberger, White . . . — — Map (db m15175) HM
Colonial Dames XVII Century
Old Stone Fort
believed to have been built by
De’Iberville, LaSalle’s successor,
who built French forts in the
Mississippi Valley, 1679 to 1689.
He located one northeast . . . — — Map (db m89216) HM
In the early morning hours of September 11, 1950, Pennsylvania National Guard Troop Train #4, disabled 3/4 mile east of this monument, was struck in the rear by the passenger train, Spirit of St. Louis, resulting in the deaths of 33 soldiers. . . . — — Map (db m15271) HM
100 Years of Service
1993 Building Addition
Don Lusk •
Ron Lusk •
Dallas Hill •
Jerry Gress •
Dave . . . — — Map (db m14818) HM