Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Crawford County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Crawford County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, July 26, 2009
Crawford County Marker
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — Crawford County 1826 - 1976
Legend 1. Col. Crawford's Retreat 2. Col. Crawford's March 3. Native Plains Area 4. Seccaium Indian Village 5. Indian Village 6. Knisley Springs Resort 7. Courthouse Yard — Map (db m21178) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — First Lieutenant Harry L. Martin
. . . — Map (db m21193) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — Olentangy Battle
Fought in this locality against the Indians. By Crawford's retreating army June 6, 1782. — Map (db m21153) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — Our Unknown Dead Bucyrus WW I Monument
Dedicated to the memory of Our Unknown Dead November 11th 1921 — Map (db m107130) WM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — 4-17 — Seccaium The Battle of the Olentangy Removed, Restored, Re-Located
On the banks on the Olentangy River, at the bend where the stream turns southwest, is the legendary site of Seccaium. This 17th century village was located on the portage to the Sandusky River, and was recognized by Indians as a neutral ground . . . — Map (db m80440) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — 5- 17 — The Sandusky Plains A Geological Feature of North Central Ohio
The Plains lay south and west of the Sandusky River, bounded by the Olentangy River on the east and Tymochtee Creek on the west. The local black prairie soils mark the extent of the grasslands, which were uncommon in the dense eastern forests. . . . — Map (db m94535) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — The Underground Railroad in Crawford County The Underground Railroad
Side A Runaway slaves used a web of routes through Crawford County, most going through the city of Bucyrus. Present-day State Route 98 to State Route 4, laid out in 1822 from Norton in northern Delaware County through Bucyrus to Sandusky in . . . — Map (db m107079) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Galion — 9-17 — Big Four Depot
This Depot, dedicated on December 27, 1900, served as division headquarters for the Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroad, commonly called the Big Four. Peak passenger usage occurred during and after World War I when 32 trains . . . — Map (db m20370) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Galion — Galion Veterans Memorial / Flag Plaza 1776 - 1976
Dedicated in this bicentennial year to the men and women who served their country with honor in all conflicts for freedom Re-dedicated as “Flag Plaza” this 11th day of November 2006 by the Galion Veterans Memorial Commission . . . — Map (db m20374) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Galion — U.S.S. Constitution Cannon
This cannon, formerly mounted on the U.S.S. Constitution “Old Ironsides” was obtained by the City of Galion from the Boston Navy Yards in 1934. The Constitution, build in 1797, saw action in the Barbary Coast War and the War of . . . — Map (db m19776) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Leesville — To the Memory of Colonel Wm. Crawford
. . . — Map (db m23559) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), New Washington — 8- 17 — The Village of New Washington / The New Washington Band
The Village of New Washington Nicknamed "Dutchtown" for the many German families that settled in this area, New Washington was platted in 1833 by George Washington Meyers, who arrived in Cranberry Township in 1826. Prominent Austrian . . . — Map (db m94708) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Sulphur Springs — Remembering Our Veterans of Early Wars
In every war, the nation has used men from this community. This significant mound, once covered with flowers, and now flags, is dedicated to the Nations dead, which insures that no soldier is forgotten on Memorial Day. Adam Link, one of the . . . — Map (db m94790) WM
Ohio (Crawford County), Tiro — 6- 17 — Knisley Springs Farm
Long known to the Indians for the mineral spring water, this land was purchased in 1819 by Samuel Knisley. After 1880 it was developed as a resort area by Dr. Jerome Bland, who also established a cattle and horse breeding farm. In 1930 the land . . . — Map (db m94709) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement