Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Franklin County Ohio Historical Markers

312 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 112
 
Alton Cemetery Veterans Monument Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 14, 2008
Alton Cemetery Veterans Monument Marker (reverse)
Ohio (Franklin County), Alton — Alton Cemetery Veterans Monument
Dedicated in memory of all the brave men and women who served our country — Map (db m12479) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — Bexley
Named after Bexley County of Kent, England. “Bullitt Park” in this “refugee tract” became a residential section in April 1891. The Village of Bexley was incorporated June 13, 1908, and the first Council met August 10. A . . . — Map (db m20510) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — Bexley World War II Memorial
Bexley will ever remember her men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the U.S.A. during the Second World War Names of Bexley's World War II veterans are engraved around the monument.Map (db m16921) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — Camp BushnellSpanish American War — Here Ohio Loyalty Responded to the Summons"Remember the Maine"
To establish a camp of general rendezvous for the Ohio National Guard and other Ohio troops, the citizens of Columbus offered to the State of Ohio Bullitt Park, now a part of Bexley - President William McKinley, April 25 1898, through Governor Asa . . . — Map (db m16931) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — Capital UniversityTransforming Lives Through Higher Education
Founded in 1830 as a Lutheran Seminary and chartered as a University in 1850, Capital University offers diverse undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences and professional studies. Ethical, moral and religious values essential to . . . — Map (db m15784) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — 58-25 — The National Road / The Interurban Electric Railway
The National Road To George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and others, a road to the Ohio Country was essential for the United States’ development. An overland route was the way west for settlers and goods, as well as a means to transport . . . — Map (db m15785) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — 17-25 — Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge1887-1991
(Side A) In March, 1887, the Franklin County Commissioners announced the building of a bridge in Madison Township over Little Walnut Creek at Kramer's Ford. Area citizens had petitioned for a bridge to transport agricultural products to the . . . — Map (db m12515) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Canal Winchester
Birthplace of Oley Speaks, 1874 - 1948. Musician and Composer — Map (db m12177) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — 26-25 — Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal
[Marker Front]: You are standing on the site of Ohio and Erie Canal. The canal helped to open the interior of Ohio to trade and settlement and played a part in Winchester's prosperity during the mid-1800s. Local farmers exported grain from . . . — Map (db m12530) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Canal Winchester Veterans Memorial
Duty Honor Country — Map (db m17137) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Canal Winchester Vietnam Veterans Memorial
In honor of those who served 1959       Vietnam       1975 — Map (db m17136) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Franklin Hills Cemetery Veterans Section
In honor of the Gold Star Mothers and all Veterans who unselfishly served their country in time of need. Dedicated July 4, 1979 — Map (db m53866) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Ohio's Oldest Active School
Ohio's Oldest Active School 1862 - 1987 125 years — Map (db m12531) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Prentiss School No. 8
This building was generously donated to the Village of Canal Winchester in the interest of historic preservation by the following businessmen: Lloyd Stebelton, Dick Weiser, Don Weiser, Robert Wood, Neil Wyman. It was moved from its previous . . . — Map (db m12180) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Pvt. Alfred Cannon
95th O.V.I. Co-D 8-18-1862 to 1-21-1865 P.O.W. Resident of Canal Winchester enlisted to preserve the Union. Taken prisoner at Brices Crossroads, MS. and marched to Andersonville, GA., Confederate prison. He gave up his place of exchange to a . . . — Map (db m12178) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Stradley Place
In Honor of Dr. Bland L. Stradley 1889-1957 Dr. Stradley was a noted educator whose career began in 1913 as principal of the Canal Winchester High School. He spent 38 consecutive years at the Ohio State University where he was Vice President in . . . — Map (db m12532) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — 108-25 — The Interurban Depot
Side A: Erected in 1905 by the Scioto Valley Traction Company, this station served as a terminal for passenger and freight service as part of an electric railway that connected Canal Winchester with neighboring towns in central Ohio. Known as . . . — Map (db m31375) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — Veterans Memorial

Flag Flying In Memory Of

Army • Navy • Marines Air Force • Coast Guard — Map (db m96060) WM

Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — 10-25 — Blendon Church Bell
This bell came from the Blendon Presbyterian Church (1830-1865) according to William C. Phelps (1881-1967), a great-great-grandson of Edward Phelps Sr. (1759-1840), first settler of Blendon Twp. and donor of the church land at the southwest corner . . . — Map (db m18059) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — 3-25 — Central College Presbyterian Church
This church was organized April 22, 1843, in conjunction with The Central College of Ohio on land donated by Squire Timothy Lee. The college, chartered in March, 1842, continued until 1892. This brick chapel was erected in 1870 under the . . . — Map (db m18062) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — Clarence Boal Hoover / Charles Potter Hoover
CLARENCE BOAL HOOVER First employed by city September 1, 1904 Appointed Chief Engineer May 1, 1920 Appointed Superintendent of Water December 1, 1921 Deceased November 5, 1949 CHARLES POTTER HOOVER First employed by city . . . — Map (db m18327) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Central College — The Ellsworth ChapelRichard D. Ellsworth
Dedicated with love and gratitude December 19, 1993 to the Reverend Richard D. Ellsworth by the congregation of Central College Presbyterian Church for more than thirty-five years of faithful service to the church and community. — Map (db m18060) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — “In This Churchyard…”
(side A) In this churchyard stood the first church of the community The First Presbyterian Church built and presented to the congregation in 1811 by Lucas Sullivant Here in this plot of ground, which he gave to the . . . — Map (db m88307) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — “These Are My Jewels”
General Ulysses S. Grant • General Philip Sheridan • Edwin M. Stanton • James A. Garfield • Rutherford B. Hayes • Salmon P. Chase • General William T. Sherman — Map (db m9895) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 118- 25 — A Brief History of Eastmoor / Eastmoor Polo Field
A Brief History of Eastmoor In 1798, Articles of Confederation Congress provided land to British Canadians who lost property because of loyalty to American revolutionaries during the American War of Independence (1775-1783). This land was . . . — Map (db m94626) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 117- 25 — A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement / Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
A.B. Graham and the 4-H Movement In 1902, Albert Belmont Graham (1868-1960), a school teacher and superintendent, established the Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club in Springfield, Ohio. Graham believed in learning by doing, a . . . — Map (db m94110) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — A-7D "Corsair II"
Manufactured by LTV Aerospace Corp. Specifications: Span: 38ft 8in Length: 46ft 1in Height: 16ft 1in Weight: 39,325lbs max Armament: One Vulcan multi-barrel M61A1 20mm rapid fire cannon Carried an arrangement of ordinance: Air-to-air . . . — Map (db m13762) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — AQHHMP#13 — All American Quarter Horse Congress
In November 1967, the Ohio Quarter Horse Association hosted a three-day American Quarter Horse show at the Ohio State fairgrounds that drew more than 5,000 people. They could not have known that this horse show would grow to become the largest . . . — Map (db m2047) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Alum Creek & The Underground Railroad / The Underground Railroad — Historic Underground Railroad Site
Alum Creek & The Underground Railroad The fifty-eight miles of Alum Creek run north to south originating in Morrow County and continues through Delaware County into Franklin County, where it empties into the Big Walnut Creek, draining into . . . — Map (db m103301) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — America’s Pioneer Kindergarten
Miss Caroline Louise Frankenberg (1806- 1882) brought the kindergarten concept from Germany to Columbus in 1836. She returned to Germany for further study, then established the school at the S.E. corner of Rich and Pearl Alley in 1858. The . . . — Map (db m94247) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 105-25 — American Federation of Labor / United Mine Workers of America
American Federation of Labor Since 1881 One this site, December 10, 1886, the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Union merged with the trade unionists of the Knights of Labor to create the American Federation of Labor. Delegates elected . . . — Map (db m12968) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 76-25 — Asians in the American Civil War
Side A: Despite exclusionary laws preventing U.S. citizenship, Asians served in the Union and Confederate armies and navies during the American Civil War (1861-1865). Many of these soldiers were denied citizenship following their services . . . — Map (db m26933) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Battleship U.S.S. Ohio
This cast-bronze eagle once adorned the Battleship U.S.S. Ohio Restoration has been made possible through donations by five Columbus Women’s Service Clubs Altrusa Club • Quota Club Pilot Club • Zonta Club Soroptimist . . . — Map (db m88248) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Beechwold PillarsRiverview Park
the old Beechwold Historic District has been placed on the National Register of historic places by the United States Department of the Interior 1987 — Map (db m81987) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 32-25 — Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
On the evening of September 29, 1899, thirteen recently returned veterans of the Spanish-American War met in a tailor shop that once stood on this site. These men, all veterans of the Columbus-based 17th Infantry Regiment that had fought in Cuba, . . . — Map (db m94562) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Broad Street BridgeThe Historic National Road in Ohio
The Broad Street bridge is a significant part of the history of Columbus and the National Road. Until 1816, the only ways to cross the Scioto River were to ford the river during low water or to use the ferry. From 1816 to 1834 a series of wooden . . . — Map (db m96392) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center"All The World's A Stage"
Browning Amphitheatre Dedicated June 11, 1926 for the encouragement of drama, dance and music. Seating restored October 12 1985. Browning Dramatic Society Originally organized 1882 as The Young Ladies’ Literary Society. Founded 1908 as . . . — Map (db m16950) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Bryden Road Historic District
Bryden Road is named after James Bryden, a city councilman and county commissioner who owned 135 acres here in the 1840's. By 1900 Bryden Road was known for its stately homes, canopy of elms, and the electrically lit metal arch at its west entrance. . . . — Map (db m17182) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 27-25 — Camp Chase
(Side A): Camp Chase was a Civil War camp established in May 1861, on land leased by the U.S. Government. Four miles west of Columbus, the main entrance was on the National Road. Boundaries of the camp were present-day Broad Street (north), . . . — Map (db m12078) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Camp ChaseA Civil War Post
Side A: Near this site on May 27 and 28, 1861 Camp Chase, a Civil War post, was established as a training center for recruits pouring into Columbus in answer to President Abraham Lincoln's call for volunteers. The property was located . . . — Map (db m16940) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Camp ChaseThe Historic National Road in Ohio
Camp Chase was named in honor of Salmon P. Chase, former governor of Ohio and Secretary of the Treasury in President Abraham Lincoln’s Cabinet. In July 1861, a small prison was erected at Camp Chase to handle the influx of political prisoners . . . — Map (db m96397) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery
Panel 1 Camp Chase Prison When President Abraham Lincoln called for volunteers to suppress the southern rebellion in April 1861, thousands of men rushed to Camp Jackson in Columbus, Ohio. Authorities established Camp Chase after . . . — Map (db m94551) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 109-25 — Campbell Memorial Park / The Adena Culture
[South Side of Marker]:"Campbell Memorial Park" James E. Campbell was governor of the State of Ohio from 1890-1892. From 1913-1924, he served as president of the Ohio Archaeological and Historical Society, which later became the Ohio . . . — Map (db m36726) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 81-25 — Captain Eddie Rickenbacker
[Marker Front]: America's World War I "Ace of Aces," Edward Vernon Rickenbacker was born in Columbus in 1890 to Swiss immigrant parents, leaving school at age 12 to help support his family. Working for several Columbus automobile companies . . . — Map (db m12510) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 101-25 — Carrie Nelson Black(1859–1936) — Founder, The Breathing Association, 1906
In 1906. Carrie Nelson Black founded the Columbus Society for the Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis. now The Breathing Association. A woman ahead of her time, she volunteered as President and Chief Executive for thirty years, using her keen . . . — Map (db m82134) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Celebration of LifeThe Arthur Boke and Sarah Sullivant Statue Project
Arthur Boke Jr was the first African-American resident of Franklinton, Ohio. His story tells far more than the color of his skin. It is a story of love, selflessness, compassion, and understanding expressed by Sarah Sullivant. Her example reaches . . . — Map (db m35302) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Central High SchoolThe Historic National Road in Ohio
On the west bank of the Scioto River stands the former Central High School, now the core building of the Center of Science and Industry (COSI). The Plan of the City of Columbus, released in 1908, was developed to create a vision for the city in line . . . — Map (db m96393) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Central Presbyterian Church

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m80011) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Charity NewsiesFounded at this location in 1907
Inside Billy Leachman's Chophouse on a cold day in December, George Baker, Harry Shunk and C.C. Philbrick (publisher of THE OHIO SUN) worried about how the needy children of the area would keep warm during the winter. Inspired by . . . — Map (db m35458) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Clinton Theater / Memory Lane
Clinton Theater On New Year’s Day, 1927 the Clinton movie theater opened, showing Frank Capra’s comedy The Strong Man. This theater was built as part of the James theater group. It was designed by architect Henry Holbrook in the . . . — Map (db m108020) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Clinton Township High School / East North Broadway Historic District — A New Marker, Also a Replacement
Clinton Township High School The first school in Clinton Township was opened in 1809. That school was located on the west side of the Olentangy River and children had to wade across to attend. The 1872 map of the township shows a school . . . — Map (db m108022) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Clintonville / Clinton Township
Clintonville This community located in Section 2 of Clinton Township, was settled in 1813 by Thomas Bull. The land was formerly owned by John Rathbone for whom Rathbone Road is named. Its early growth was due largely to a number of . . . — Map (db m92853) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 84- 25 — Coach Woody HayesOhio State Football Legend — “the Coach”
Over his 28-year coaching career, Woody Hayes (1913-1987) cemented The Ohio State University's tradition of football excellence while amassing one of the most impressive records in college football. Wayne Woodrow Hayes grew up in Newcomerstown . . . — Map (db m94097) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Coach Woody Hayes1913- 1987
“You can never pay back, but you can pay forward” Wayne Woodrow “Woody” Hayes was a buckeye from birth. born in Clifton, Ohio, he spent his entire life giving back to the state he loved. Woody earned a bachelor’s . . . — Map (db m94098) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Columbia Building
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m103362) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Columbus City Hall1872

Construction of old City Hall on this site was begun in 1869 and completed in 1872 at a cost of $175,000. The 140-foot high building of Gothic design contained dark cream Amherst stone and was one of the prominent landmarks of its day. First . . . — Map (db m80009) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 120-25 — Columbus Civic Center Historic District
The historic district extends from the former Main Street Bridge to Long Street and encompasses the public buildings on either side of the Scioto River. The 580 foot long low-head concrete arch Main Street Dam was constructed in 1918 in response to . . . — Map (db m107780) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Columbus Feeder Canal / The Ohio- Erie Canal
(side A) Columbus Feeder Canal Col. Nathaniel McLean removed the first earth for the Columbus Feeder Canal not far from this site, April 27, 1827. The earth was wheeled away by Ralph Osborn and Henry Brown, auditor and . . . — Map (db m88254) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Columbus' First Professional GameApril 25, 1876
Columbus' first professional game was played on the Base Ball Grounds, located between the old Union Depot train station and High Street, on April 25, 1876. The Columbus Buckeyes defeated the famous Milfords 11-0. The Buckeyes and the International . . . — Map (db m30026) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 97-25 — Columbus Main Library / Judge Noah Swayne Home
Columbus Main Library The first tax supported free public library in Columbus was formed in 1873 and housed in City Hall. In 1901, City Librarian John Pugh petitioned Andrew Carnegie for funding and was granted $200,000. In 1903, the Swayne . . . — Map (db m12927) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Columbus Monument
Christopher Columbus, an Italian navigator, launched four voyages of discovery to the new world. 1492. The spirit of discovery has the power to change the course of human history as demonstrated by the voyages of Christopher Columbus, . . . — Map (db m9846) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians
Near this spot, June 21, 1813 was held a council between General William Henry Harrison and the Indians comprising Wyandots, Delawares, Shawnees and Senecas with Tarhe the Crane as spokesman resulting in permanent peace with the . . . — Map (db m59300) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 13-25 — Deaf School Park
This ten acre site was purchased in 1829 for the Ohio School for the Education of the Deaf. The first school building opened here in 1834; the school was enlarged in 1845. In 1868 the original school was replaced. Another school building was added . . . — Map (db m12934) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Discovery Park
Is the first park developed specifically to honor Ohio's public educators. It was created by members and friends of the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio as part of the system's 80th anniversary celebration. Included in the park are the names . . . — Map (db m14491) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure/Sunwall and Moonwall Murals
Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure In the early 1800s, Prosper Wetmore wrote about his childhood memories of native mounds in the ravine area of Northwestern Clinton Township. At that time, he recalled two . . . — Map (db m108853) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Donn Vickers Gazebo in Thurber Park
Donn Vickers served as the executive director of the Thurber House from 1985 through 2001. As executive director, Donn was responsible for many accomplishments including the development of Thurber Park and the construction of this gazebo. In . . . — Map (db m14499) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — East North Broadway Historic DistrictAn Historic Neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio
East North Broadway Historic District North Broadway was platted by the Loren and Dennison Company in 1890. East North Broadway originally extended from High Street to the Big Four Railroad (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus and St. Louis RR, later . . . — Map (db m81973) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — EastmoorThe Historic National Road in Ohio
Eastmoor, one of nine (9) Columbus neighborhoods on the National Road, was built on part of the land established by Congress in 1798 as the “Refugee Lands” and given to British Canadians who supported the American colonists during the . . . — Map (db m96358) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Elijah Pierce
Elijah Pierce (1892-1984) was an internationally recognized woodcarver/folk artist. Mr. Pierce began carving wood as a young boy on the Baldwyn, Mississippi, farm where he was born in 1892. In the early 1920s, he carved a small elephant for his wife . . . — Map (db m16966) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Engine House 11The Historic National Road in Ohio
At the turn of the 20th century, three Columbus fire stations were on the National Road, including Station 11 which was built here at 1000 East Main. Construction began in August 1896 and was completed in February 1897 at a cost of $12,863. The cost . . . — Map (db m97465) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — F-100D "Super Sabre"
Manufactured by North American Aviation Specifications: Span: 38ft 10in Length: 54ft 2in Height: 16ft 2in Weight: 38,048lbs max Armament: Four M-39 20mm cannons Seven hard points to carry ordinance: 42x 2.75in rockets 7,500lbs of . . . — Map (db m13764) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — F-84F "Thunderstreak"
Manufactured by Republic Aircraft Corp Specifications: Span: 33ft 7in Length: 43ft 5in Height: 15ft 0in Weight: 27,000lbs max Armament: Six .50 caliber machine-guns Carried an arrangement of ordinance: 32x 5in rockets 6,000lbs of . . . — Map (db m13763) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Father Rocco Petrarca
The Italian Community gratefully remembers Father Rocco Petrarca Pastor of St. John the Baptist Church from 1913 to 1948 “Flos Memoriae Lapide Perennior” — Map (db m14489) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 51-25 — First Modern Streamflow Measurement in Ohio
Streams are both a principal economic resource and a natural hazard in Ohio. Accurate and systematic streamflow records are crucial in protecting lives and property and ensuring an adequate water supply. At this site in 1892 and 1893, engineering . . . — Map (db m12763) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Flint Veterans GardenOld Flint or Gardner Cemetery
This garden is dedicated to all veterans, with deep respect and appreciation for their courage, patriotism, and sacrifice. Dedicated on Veterans Day, November 11, 2008 — Map (db m92447) WM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Flytown
Flytown was democracy’s melting pot for the city of Columbus. But even more important it became known as a port-of-entry for the immigrant settlers of Central Ohio. New arrivals found friends and relatives who guided them through the initial . . . — Map (db m42202) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Forest Lawn Veterans Memorial
Dedicated November 11, 2006 to the men and women of Franklin County Ohio that served our country bravely and honorably so our freedoms endure. The sacrifices of few ensured the freedom of many. A grateful community remembers those who served in . . . — Map (db m13487) WM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 3 — Former Federal Court Building and Post OfficeDiscover Downtown Walking Tour A
When it was completed in 1887, this building was the first federal district courthouse and post office specifically built for those purposes in the city. A magnificent example of the Romanesque Revival style, the building was more than doubled in . . . — Map (db m35457) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 15-25 — Formerly Maryland Park
Maryland Park was opened in 1921. It served as the site of the annual Emancipation Day Celebration until 1933. The first Columbus public pool was constructed here in 1929 as the Center of Eastside Social and Recreation Activities. It was home to . . . — Map (db m17470) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Franklin County Civil War Memorial
In recognition and in loving memory of the men who on land and sea upheld the honor and integrity of our country and flag in the War of the Rebellion this monument is erected. 1861-1865 —————— . . . — Map (db m23487) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War
Honoring the Memory of Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War 1846 - 1848 On this day, October 2, 1954, this tablet is placed in memory of those soldiers from Franklin County, Ohio who served their country with great courage and . . . — Map (db m13106) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Franklinton
Founded by Lucas Sullivant in 1797; the first settlement in the Scioto Valley north of Chillicothe and in Franklin County. County Seat 1803-24 Annexed to Columbus 1870 [Attached to the building is a National Society of the United States . . . — Map (db m13060) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Franklinton
. . . — Map (db m37812) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — FranklintonJacob Overdier Harrison House — Sullivant Land Office
Jacob Overdier Harrison House 570 West Broad Street built circa 1807 General William Henry Harrison's troops stayed in this House during the War of 1812. Sullivant Land Office Behind . . . — Map (db m93686) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Freedom Brutus
. . . — Map (db m60934) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 82-25 — General Curtis E. LeMay
[Marker Front]: A primary architect of American air power, Curtis Emerson LeMay was born in Columbus in 1906, attended public schools, and graduated from The Ohio State University with a degree in civil engineering. He received his flight . . . — Map (db m12774) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 33-25 — General John Hunt Morgan, CSA / Morgan's Escape
Side A: General John Hunt Morgan, CSAOn this site once stood the Ohio Penitentiary, which was built in 1834 and operated through 1984. Incarcerated here in July 1863 was Confederate General John Hunt Morgan, a cavalry commander known as . . . — Map (db m12966) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 75-25 — George Bellows / Roy Lichtenstein
George Bellows George Bellows (1882-1925) is widely recognized as one of America's premier artists. His vivid portrayals of modern urban life have become indelible icons of American art. Born and reared in Columbus, he retained close ties here . . . — Map (db m14485) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Gold Star Mothers
This tree planted May 11, 1929 in honor of the Gold Star Mothers Southway Unit No. 144 American Legion Auxiliary In memory of their sons John L. Fischer Clemment J. Simon Walter I. Clark John Brehl Who died in France 1918 . . . — Map (db m13107) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 41-25 — Green Lawn Cemetery
[Marker Front]: Landscape architect Howard Daniels designed the original portion of Green Lawn Cemetery in 1848. Noted Columbus architect Frank Packard designed Green Lawn's Chapel mausoleum, the Hayden family mausoleum, and the Packard . . . — Map (db m12431) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 110- 25 — Hanford VillageAlthough the highway divides us, our memories are never lost
Hanford Village was founded in the early 1900s just east of Columbus proper with its own mayor, police force, fire department, businesses, and park. After World War II, a subdivision of Hanford became a segregated community for returning African . . . — Map (db m94618) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 11-25 — Hannah Neil Mission And Home For The FriendlessFounded 1858
Founded by Hannah (Mrs. William) Neil, the Mission, located at this site for 109 years, helped children and families with difficulties as they journeyed westward on the Old National Trail. The second oldest Columbus charity, the Mission, now known . . . — Map (db m17413) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Harold M. Cooper
From clubhouse manager to general manager From Franklin County Commissioner to International League President.... Harold's leadership and dedication to the game of baseball uniquely qualifies him as “The Patriarch of Columbus . . . — Map (db m30038) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — C — Headquarters of General William H. HarrisonOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m93669) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Here Stood Lincoln1809 -1865
At the invitation of the citizens of Columbus, Ohio, Abraham Lincoln delivered a memorable address here on the sixteenth day of September, eighteen hundred fifty nine. This commemorative marker was erected on the 75th anniversary of that event . . . — Map (db m36901) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Home Site of Henry Howe — Historian1816 — 1893

He preserved for posterity the story of the brave men and women who founded this great state. He traveled Ohio in 1846 and again in 1886 and twice published his Howe’s Historical Collections of Ohio — Map (db m98741) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — IntersectStephen Canneto, Sculptor
On January 2, 1866, Pelatiah Webster Huntington opened his bank at the heart of the Columbus community - the intersection of Broad and High Streets. Since that date, the Huntington National Bank has been committed to serving the people of central . . . — Map (db m35462) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 70- 25 — Iskcon Krishna House
Side A In 1968, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) established the first practicing Vedic Temple in the state of Ohio. This building represents the beginning of a now growing population of Vaisnavas, worshipers of . . . — Map (db m94096) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — James A. Rhodes
He served as Governor for 16 years—longer than any other state governor in the history of the Union. Governor of the State of Ohio, 1975–1983, 1963–1971 • Auditor of the State of Ohio, 1953–1963 • Major of the City of . . . — Map (db m88644) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — James J. Thomas Park
Named by resolution of City Council adopted May 24 – 1943 – in recognition of 12 years of active service as mayor in promoting the beautification of the reservoir lands. — Map (db m13049) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 78-25 — James Thurber
One of the outstanding American humorists of the twentieth century, James Thurber was born and educated in Columbus. He launched his writing career as a reporter for The Columbus Dispatch in 1920. In 1927 he began writing for The New . . . — Map (db m14498) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 69-25 — Jesse Owens
[Marker Front]: James Cleveland Owens was born in Alabama in 1913 and moved with his family to Cleveland at age nine. An elementary school teacher recorded his name "Jesse" when he said "J.C." It became the name he used for the rest of his . . . — Map (db m12799) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 63- 25 — Johann Christian Heyl
Side A Johann Christian Heyl (1788-1877), the first German and first Lutheran to settle in Columbus, was one of the original 15 settlers of the city. A baker by trade, Heyl came to bake for the soldiers quartered in Franklinton during the . . . — Map (db m94617) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller1759–1805
Classical German Poet of Enlightenment Dramatist, Philosopher, and Historian Rededicated July 4, 1991 The United German Singing Societies of Central Ohio Columbus Maennerchor & Damenchor • Columbus Sachsenchor Newark Maennerchor & . . . — Map (db m13105) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — John Brickell
On this spot the first cabin in Columbus was built by its first inhabitant John Brickell 1797 Born Stewarts Crossing, Penn. 1781. Captured by a Delaware Indian 1791. Adopted by chief of that tribe Whingwy . . . — Map (db m59319) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Kelton House — Historic Underground Railroad Site
When Fernando Cortez and Sophia Stone Kelton built this house in 1852, it was the last residence on East Town Street and was surrounded by pastureland. Ardent abolitionists, the Keltons were members of the local antislavery society. Family tradition . . . — Map (db m42170) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — King Lincoln District Arch
The King Lincoln District was established in July 2002 to honor the historic heart and soul of Columbus’ African American community. This arch, welcoming all to the King Lincoln District, is dedicated to our shared history and our commitment to the . . . — Map (db m16965) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Lincoln Goodale1782 - 1868
This bronze bust was created in 1888 by Ohio scupltor J. Q. A. Ward in memory of Dr. Lincoln Goodale, the area's first physician. Dr. Goodale was also a successful businessman whose wealth and generosity allowed him to provide free medical care . . . — Map (db m16922) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Lucas Sullivant Home Site
This tablet is placed to mark the home of Lucas Sullivant who under authority from Virginia came to an unbroken wilderness and with twenty men surveyed this portion of the Virginia Military Lands. Later he returned and in 1797 laid out the . . . — Map (db m13066) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Maurice Gates
Dedicated to the memory of firefighter Maurice Gates October 3, 1960 - September 15, 1982 A resident of Franklinton, he joined the Columbus Division of Fire on March 16, 1981 and was assigned to E10, 3 Unit. On September 15, 1982 he . . . — Map (db m13052) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Maynard E. SensenbrennerHilltop
Dedicated July 4, 1992 by the Citizens of Columbus Maynard E. Sensenbrenner served four terms as mayor of the City of Columbus, 1954-1959 and 1964-1971, longer than any other mayor. During this time he was responsible for the farsighted . . . — Map (db m16960) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Memorial Bridge
Named and Dedicated Oct. 31-1921 by Columbus Camp No. 49 United Spanish War Veterans to the memory of all persons from Franklin County who served in the World War — Map (db m31393) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 35-25 — Merion Village
Side A: Merion Village was named for the Nathaniel Merion family, who in 1809 settled what is now the South Side of Columbus on 1800 acres of the Refugee Lands. Entrepreneur William Merion operated “Merion's Landing” in the 1830s to . . . — Map (db m17390) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 50-25 — Monsignor John Joseph Jessing
Monsignor John Joseph Jessing, founder of the Pontifical College Josephinum, was born in Germany in 1836. He immigrated to America and, in 1870, was ordained a priest in Columbus. He published a newspaper, the Ohio Waisenfreund (Ohio Orphans' . . . — Map (db m12870) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 102-25 — Mount Vernon Avenue
The commercial area of Mount Vernon Avenue originated in the early 1900s as a safe haven for African-American people segregated from the primarily white community of the time. Not permitted to enter many businesses in downtown Columbus during the . . . — Map (db m17471) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 98- 25 — Mount Vernon Community SchoolPilgrim School
Side A Until the 1970s, Pilgrim Elementary school was different from today. Pilgrim had a smaller playground with a brick wall around it. The gym was used only for physical education classes and most students went home for lunch, while . . . — Map (db m94623) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Native Americans
Central Ohio was home to Native Americans as early as 10,000 years ago. While we don't know what they called themselves, archaeologists call a group of the earliest peoples, “Mound Builders”. Their society left nearly 200 burial and . . . — Map (db m30023) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — NECKO Neighborhood / E. J. McMillen Homestead Addition
Welcome to the NECKO Neighborhood The NECKO neighborhood, a section of the historic E. J. McMillen Homestead Addition, is a part of the Near North Side Historic District as designated in the Historic Register in 1980. It is recognized as a . . . — Map (db m17424) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Neil Avenue Gate
Construction of these brick columns was authorized by the Board of Trustees of the University on November 6, 1915. The columns later supported iron gates bearing the University seal, which were used to close this south entrance to the campus. . . . — Map (db m49788) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 71-25 — Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station
Side one: The Ohio General Assembly established the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station in 1882. From its inception until 1892, the Station occupied 17 acres on the Columbus campus of The Ohio State University before relocating to 470 acres . . . — Map (db m46136) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 114- 25 — Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911 / Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University
Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911 The Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs founded Ohio Dominican University on this site on October 5, 1911. It was incorporated that year as the Ladies Literary Institute of St. Mary of the Springs, . . . — Map (db m94624) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 80-25 — Ohio in the Civil War / Defending OhioThe Ohio National Guard and the 37th (Buckeye) Infantry Division
Ohio in the Civil War. With five army camps in Columbus, Capitol Square was a military crossroads from 1861 to 1865. Ohio troops were mustered, paid, and on some occasions garrisoned at the Statehouse. Three of every five male Ohioans between . . . — Map (db m9840) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Ohio Institution for Education of the Blind
This nine acres of land was purchased by the citizens of Columbus in 1837, and deeded to the state for use as the Ohio School for the Blind. The first building, designed by N. B. Kelly and occupied in October 1839, was replaced by the current . . . — Map (db m17178) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 88-25 — Ohio School for the Deaf
The Ohio School for the Deaf was established in 1829 by an act of the Ohio Legislature. Although the fifth school for the deaf in the country, it was the first school to be 100% funded by the state. The school first opened in a small rented building . . . — Map (db m12869) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 60-25 — Ohio State School for the Blind
In 1835, Dr. William Awl of Columbus and Dr. Daniel Drake of Cincinnati presented recommendations to the Ohio General Assembly to establish a school for the blind. Legislation, signed by then governor of Ohio Duncan McArthur on April 3, 1837, . . . — Map (db m94099) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Ohio World War Memorial1917 – 1918 — WWI Doughboy
To justice in war and lasting peace after victory. To the Armed Forces of the United States “with the going down of the sun and in the morning we shall remember them.” To the women of America in the World War. They served nobly . . . — Map (db m9880) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Old Franklinton Cemetery
This ancient burial ground of Central Ohio was established in a bend of the Scioto River in 1799 and is known as "Old Franklinton Cemetery". The pioneers buried here are about one hundred in number. Seventy-one graves are marked largely by sandstone . . . — Map (db m88301) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Old Franklinton Cemetery ArchaeologyEstablished 1799
“Why lovely friend indulge that tear! Why trembling view my dark abode; Though you with me must moulder here, Yet faith can wing the soul to God” Rebecca (Culbertson) Smith Born Sept. 28, 1798 Died Feb. 7, 1828 . . . — Map (db m88313) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 38-25 — Old Ohio Union
Built in 1910, the old Ohio Union was the first student union building constructed on a public university campus and the fourth to be built in the United States. Made possible by a direct appropriation from the 77th Ohio General Assembly and private . . . — Map (db m16943) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 94-25 — Original Port Columbus Airport Terminal1929-1958
[Marker Front]: The original Port Columbus Airport terminal was founded by the people of Columbus and was one of the first airport facilities in the United States. Dedicated on July 8, 1929, Port Columbus was the first transfer point in the . . . — Map (db m12731) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Our Unknown Dead1861-1865
In Memory of Our Unknown Dead — Map (db m23485) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 12-25 — Ovid Wellford Smith
In Memory of Ovid Wellford Smith who is buried here. At 16, he enlisted as James Smith in the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment and volunteered for the famous Andrews Raid to destroy Confederate supply lines. The raiders captured “The . . . — Map (db m12762) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Peace
Commemorating the heroic sacrifices of Ohio’s soldiers of the Civil War 1861–65 and the loyal women of that period. When our country sent out the call to arms for the preservation of the Union Ohio sent more than three hundred thousand of . . . — Map (db m9956) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Rand P. HollenbackThe Mayor of Clintonville
In memory of Rand P. Hollenback of Columbus, Ohio, The Major or Clintonville. Spacious Whetstone Park and the Park of Roses are synonymous with the name of this great civic leader who was born not far from here in 1899. He lived all of . . . — Map (db m42234) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 87-25 — Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista
Side A: Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli The National Italian Catholic parish of Saint John the Baptist was founded in October 1896 by the Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli, D.D. Father Cestelli was born in Fiesole, Italy and came to . . . — Map (db m14487) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 48-25 — Roy J. PlunkettJune 26, 1910 - May 12, 1994
Roy J. Plunkett was born in New Carlisle, Ohio, and graduated from Newton Township High School in Pleasant Hill. He received his B.A. degree from Manchester College before enrolling as a graduate student in chemistry at The Ohio State University, . . . — Map (db m17412) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 49-25 — Saint Mary of the Springs Academy / Anne O'Hare McCormick 1880-1954
Side A: Saint Mary of the Springs Academy On this site stood St. Mary of the Springs Academy, a school for girls first founded by the Dominican Sisters in 1830 in Somerset, Ohio, to respond to the educational needs of frontier Catholics. The . . . — Map (db m17387) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 107-25 — Schiller Park
Long a gathering place for residents of Columbus, this area, which became known as Schiller Park, hosted German songfests, Fourth of July festivities, the 1864 and 1865 Ohio State Fairs, and the 1871 peace celebration commemorating the end of the . . . — Map (db m20695) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant
Schmidt's Sausage Haus has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m56874) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Scioto River Historical Marker
On this site, the Scioto River has been spanned by at least six bridges, all of which have been important to the growth of Columbus, Ohio's state capital. 1816 • A wooden toll bridge was built by Franklinton developer Lucas Sullivant. 1826 • . . . — Map (db m31427) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Second Baptist Church / James P. PoindexterHistoric Underground Railroad Site
Side A: Second Baptist Church - Columbus' Oldest Black Baptist Church, 1836 Second Baptist Church cordially received its independence as a mission church from the First Baptist Church on January 7, 1836. Rev. Ezekiel Fields was chosen as . . . — Map (db m17174) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 100-25 — Shiloh Baptist Church
The Shiloh Baptist Church was completed in 1923. Founded in 1869, Shiloh is the third oldest African-American church in Columbus and is a descendent of the Second Baptist Church. The church is located in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood, which is . . . — Map (db m17472) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Shrum Indian Mound
. . . — Map (db m36869) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 92-25 — Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890
Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game In the fall, life for many in Columbus revolves around Ohio State University football, from the first kickoff in September to the last play in November. O.S.U.'s first home game took place at 2:30 . . . — Map (db m12442) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 104-25 — Site of First Wendy's Restaurant
Dave Thomas realized his boyhood dream when he opened his first hamburger restaurant on this site on November 15, 1969. Thomas changed the image of fast food by serving fresh, not frozen hamburgers, hot off the grill with a choice of toppings in a . . . — Map (db m14492) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 119- 25 — Snowden- Gray House
Side A Philip T. Snowden, owner of a fancy dry goods and millinery, built the Italianate-style residence at 530 East Town Street in 1852. The house was part of the fashionable University Place addition on the east side of the city. . . . — Map (db m94242) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 111- 25 — Southwood Elementary SchoolHistoric Building, Still in Use
Side A Built in 1894, the original eight-room Southwood Elementary School cost $16,000 to construct on this site purchased from a local family for $3,000. The school originally had five teachers and a teacher-pupil ratio of 50-1. Mary . . . — Map (db m94245) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Spirit of the SpringsSaint Mary of the Springs Academy
Honoring the history of Saint Mary of the Springs Academy founded 1830 flourished on this site 1868- 1966 Dedicated to the alumnae and the Dominican Sisters in celebration of the spirit that they have carried into the world — Map (db m94625) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 99-25 — St. Clair Hospital
In 1911 local doctors founded the St. Clair Hospital. The home adjacent to the hospital served as a residence home and training school for nurses. In 1940, the hospital was converted into a convalescent home. In 1948, Mr. and Mrs. William J. . . . — Map (db m17473) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — St. Joseph CathedralHeritage Tour
St. Joseph Cathedral November 11, 1866, the cornerstone of St. Joseph Cathedral was laid at the N.W. corner of E. Broad and 5th Sts. The beautiful gothic structure was completed n 1872. The consecration service took place October 20, 1878, a . . . — Map (db m98924) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 28-25 — St. Mary Church
St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus’ South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. . . . — Map (db m20522) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 73-25 — St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School
Side A:St. Patrick Church Built in 1852 and dedicated a year later, St. Patrick Church is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in Columbus. Founded as the English speaking parish, this church of Norman Gothic design served as the home . . . — Map (db m17474) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 68-25 — St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized in 1823 as Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, St. Paul A.M.E. Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Columbus. The church, founded by Moses Freeman and 13 other members from the Town Street Church, was originally . . . — Map (db m16963) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 21-25 — Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital
This site, now Grant Medical Center, was the original location of the neo-gothic building that housed St. Francis Hospital and Starling Medical College, named for Columbus benefactor Lyne Starling. Established in 1849, Starling Medical College/St. . . . — Map (db m12926) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 93-25 — The Breathing Association
The Breathing Association was founded in 1906 as the Tuberculosis Society under the leadership of public health advocate Carrie Nelson Black. The society provided nutrition, medical care, and sanitorium services to people who could not afford proper . . . — Map (db m10256) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 95-25 — The Charity Newsies
The founding of the philanthropic organization Charity Newsies stems from a cold, blustery day in December 1907, when a small newspaper boy stood on the corner of Broad and High streets. Inside the nearby Billy’s Chophouse, entertainers George Baker . . . — Map (db m17375) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Clippers1977-
After sitting dormant for six years, Jet Stadium was refurbished as Franklin County Stadium. The park was the first minor league facility to have Astroturf and roof suites. In 1984 the stadium was renamed Cooper Stadium in honor of former Franklin . . . — Map (db m30036) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Columbus Buckeyes1883-84, 1889-91
Columbus' first major league club played their home games at Recreation Park located at the intersection of Mound Street and Parsons Avenue. The park was one of the first in the country to have both a grass infield and a grass outfield. Columbus' . . . — Map (db m30028) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Columbus Senators1900-1930
The Senators played their home games at Neil Park at the corner of Cleveland and Buckingham Avenues. The wooden structure was replaced in 1905 with the first concrete and steel stadium. Cleveland and Detroit played home games at Neil Park to avoid . . . — Map (db m30032) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Fireproof Building
Constructed in 1909 and renovated for residential and commercial use in 2014, The Fireproof Building was originally home to Fireproof Warehouse and Storage Co. and was first used to protect personal possessions. With steel doors & solid concrete . . . — Map (db m97398) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The First Telephone Central Office in Columbus Ohio
Began service here January 1, 1879. It was located on the second floor of the Sessions Building which then stood on this site. N. C. Kingsbury Chapter No. 2, Telephone Pioneers of America placed this tablet on the 70th anniversary of the first . . . — Map (db m17172) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 42-25 — The Irish in Columbus
[Marker Front]: Thousands of Irish immigrants came to Columbus to seek personal and religious freedom. With the "Great Hunger" in Ireland and the completion of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, immigration to Columbus increased . . . — Map (db m12963) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Jesse Owens Track
James Cleveland (Jesse) Owens, 1913-1980, Ohio State University Track and Field Star, Olympic Champion, Ambassador of Sports, Humanitarian, Friend of Youth. Jesse Owens' incomparable achievements as an Ohio State and Olympic athlete are . . . — Map (db m12773) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Jets1955-1970
After the 1954 season, the Cardinals moved the Red Birds to Omaha. For the first time in the 20th century Columbus was temporarily without a baseball team. Eleven Columbus businessmen put up $10,000 each and in January, 1955, Harold Cooper . . . — Map (db m30035) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The King Avenue BridgeA Brief History
• Around 1863 a steel truss was constructed across the Olentangy River at King Avenue. It was the first roadway to be extended across the Olentangy River. • Although the great flood of 1913 destroyed or damaged numerous bridges, businesses and . . . — Map (db m12771) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Lane Avenue BridgesA Brief History
• In the late 1800's a steel truss was constructed across the Olentangy River at Lane Avenue. Its primary function was to gain access across the Olentangy River from the main campus of The Ohio State University to the agricultural land on the west . . . — Map (db m12957) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 103-25 — The Lincoln Theatre
The Lincoln Theatre, originally known as Ogden Theatre Lodge, opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. Developer Al Jackson was spurred to build the theatre because African-Americans were segregated from the other area theatres. Among the bands that have . . . — Map (db m17378) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 43-25 — The National Road
Side A: After the Revolutionary War, our first President, George Washington, advocated the construction of a road linking cities in the United States from east to west. In 1806, President Thomas Jefferson signed legislation authorizing the . . . — Map (db m34082) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Negro Leagues in Columbus1900, 1908, 1921, 1930, 1932-33, 1935
Columbus' Negro League teams were the Black Tourists (1900, 1908), the Buckeyes (1921), the Keystones (1930), the Turfs (1932), the Blue Birds (1933), and the Elite Giants (1935). Most Columbus Negro League home games were played at Neil Park. . . . — Map (db m30031) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 72-25 — The Ohio State Fair
First held in Cincinnati in 1850, the Ohio State Fair was organized by the Ohio Board of Agriculture to promote agricultural education and recognize achievements. The second fair was held in Franklinton (now part of Columbus) on the farm of Michael . . . — Map (db m2043) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 5-25 — The Ohio State University
The Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College grew out of the Cannon Act of March 22, 1870. “But let it be started,” Governor Rutherford B. Hayes told the Legislature in 1873, “with the intention of making it a great State . . . — Map (db m16944) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 79-25 — The Ohio Statehouse / Lincoln at the Statehouse
In 1812, the Ohio legislature designated Columbus as the state capital, with local landowners contributing land and resources for a capitol building and penitentiary. The first Columbus statehouse, a Federal-style structure completed in 1816, . . . — Map (db m9986) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Ohio Theater

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1973 by the United States Department of the Interior ———————————————— . . . — Map (db m80008) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Railroads
Columbus entered the railroad era on February 20, 1850 when owners William Neil and Alfred Kelley brought the first trains on the Columbus and Xenia Railroad, spanning the Scioto River with a wooden trestle. The line provided service from Columbus . . . — Map (db m30024) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Red Birds1931-1954
After the 1930 season, the St. Louis Cardinals bought the Columbus Senators and changed the team's name to the Red Birds. In 1932, Red Bird Stadium was built on West Mound Street. It was one of the first stadiums in the country built with lights . . . — Map (db m30034) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Refugee Tract
The Refugee Tract of 100,000 acres of land was a strip four and one half miles wide extending forty-eight miles eastward from the Scioto River at Columbus through parts of Franklin, Fairfield, Perry, Licking and Muskingum Counties. It was granted . . . — Map (db m36673) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Spirit of ’98Freedom • Patriotism • Humanity
Erected by the State of Ohio to the honor and memory of the Ohio veterans of the Spanish-American War, Philippine Insurrection and the China Relief Expedition. 1898 — 1920 “The cause which triumphed through their valor will . . . — Map (db m9868) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The State HouseBuilt 1838–1861
A total of 15 commissioners, seven architects, and numberless artisans built this Grecian Doric State House of local limestone and brick from Indian mound clay at a cost of $1,359,121. Experts today marvel that so many diverse personalities could . . . — Map (db m10259) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The State HouseBuilt 1838–1861
A total of 15 commissioners, seven architects, and numberless artisans built this Grecian Doric State House of local limestone and brick from Indian mound clay at a cost of $1,359,121. Experts today marvel that so many diverse personalities could . . . — Map (db m10263) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Underground Railroad / Black Conductors of Columbus — Historic Underground Railroad
The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and instructed . . . — Map (db m10251) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 3 of 5 — The Underground Railroad on University Land
After 1856, escapees on the Freedom Train followed Neil Run past the Neil Farm and through the swampy hollow that is now Mirror Lake. The stream forked, with the northeastern branch emerging from the marshy land where the Ohio Union now stands, to . . . — Map (db m16952) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 4 of 5 — The Underground Railroad on University Land
Joseph Sullivant, a member of the first Board of Trustees of Ohio State, was known as a “friend of the colored race.” He grew up in Kentucky but developed a distaste for slavery after witnessing a slave auction. Another Ohio State board . . . — Map (db m16953) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 5 of 5 — The Underground Railroad on University Land
Along Lake Erie, Toledo, Sandusky, Cleveland, Fairport Harbor, and Ashtabula Harbor were major routes from slavery to freedom in Canada. Even though African Americans lived throughout the state, Ohio itself was not really safe. Slavery was . . . — Map (db m16954) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Unknown Boy Scout
Dedicated to The Unknown Boy Scout 1910 - 1935 in England whose good turn brought Scouting to millions of America boys sponsored by Central Ohio Area Boy Scouts of America — Map (db m98915) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Urban Face of the Scioto River
The confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers is just northwest of North Bank Park, and the rivers were the major attraction for both Native American and white settlers. The river and its tributaries were the life-blood to the region providing . . . — Map (db m29966) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Western League1892, 1896-99
The 1892 Columbus Reds won the city's first pennant as a member of the Western League. Columbus rejoined the league as the Senators from 1896-99. The Senators played their home games at Western League Park at Parsons and Jenkins Avenues. The league . . . — Map (db m30030) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Theodore Roosevelt Memorial OakBorn October 27th, 1858 • Died January 6th, 1919
This tree (a Scarlett Oak) was placed here by the Roosevelt National Living Memorial Association, as a living tribute to the great lover and defender of Country and Flag, and our youngest President of the United States—Theodore Roosevelt. . . . — Map (db m9866) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 83-25 — Tod Barracks, 1863
One of five Civil War military posts in Columbus, Tod Barracks, named in honor of Governor David Tod, was built in 1863 as the headquarters for military administration in central Ohio. Necessitated by Lincoln’s call for 300,000 new troops, the post . . . — Map (db m9834) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 106-25 — Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station The only remaining Columbus railroad station, The Toledo & Ohio Central (T&OC) Railroad Station was constructed in 1895 and was the departure point for William McKinley when he left for Washington D.C to . . . — Map (db m13067) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Topiary Garden
The Topiary Garden, begun in 1989 by the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, is a recreation in sculpted shrubbery (topiary) of French artist Georges Seurat's famous painting, “A Sunday Afternoon On The Ile De La Grande Jatte” . . . — Map (db m13050) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Town Street Bridge
The second Town Street Bridge, a closed spandrel concrete arch bridge, crossed the Scioto River at this location from 1921 to 2009. The bridge was designed by the firm of Braun, Fleming and Knollman, and was built by the D. W. McGrath and Sons . . . — Map (db m107965) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Transportation, Growth, and Development
Columbus was founded specifically for the purpose of being the state capital in 1812, and was selected primarily due to its location - near the center of the state. But a lack of transportation options restricted access to town. For nearly 20 . . . — Map (db m30007) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Trinity Episcopal Church
First services of Trinity Episcopal Church were held May 3, 1817, in the residence of Dr. Lincoln Goodale, where later Columbus’ first Sunday School was founded. The first church building was built in 1831 one half block east of High on . . . — Map (db m98848) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Trinity Episcopal ChurchOriginal Site
Trinity Episcopal Church occupied this site from 1834 to 1869 — Map (db m98854) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 57-25 — Trinity Lutheran Seminary

The German Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, the first Lutheran theological seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains, began instruction under Pastor Wilhelm Schmidt in Canton in 1830. The seminary relocated to Columbus at . . . — Map (db m80014) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 74-25 — Tuskegee Airmen
The “Tuskegee Experience,” a program of the Army Air Corps to train African Americans as military pilots, began at Tuskegee Army Air Field in Alabama in 1941. At home and abroad during World War II, the Tuskegee Airmen prevailed against . . . — Map (db m13804) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — United Mine Workers of America

On this site, January 25, 1890, delegates from the National Progressive Union and the Knights of Labor District Trades Assembly 135 met in convention at old City Hall and founded the United Mine Workers of America. The merger ended years of . . . — Map (db m80010) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — University Hall
Site of original University Hall. Completed 1874. First campus building housing library, administrative offices, graduate school, dormitory, classics and philosophy. Demolished 1971. Reconstructed 1976. Historical Marker — Map (db m43010) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — War! – “It Is All Hell”
General William Tecumseh Sherman made this now famous statement on August 11, 1880, in a speech at a reunion of Civil War veterans, held on this site, then the Ohio State Fairgrounds. Erected August 11, 1949 — Map (db m16962) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Wesley Chapel Methodist Church
This site was formerly occupied by the Wesley Chapel Methodist Church and its successor Central Methodist Church merged with Broad Street Methodist Church October 1935 — Map (db m98928) HM

312 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 112
Paid Advertisement