Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hamilton County Ohio Historical Markers

 
John Hunt Morgan Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, April 29, 2019
John Hunt Morgan Trail Marker
Ohio (Hamilton County), Bevis — 2 — Bevis"The Darkest of All Nights" — John Hunt Morgan Trail —
In the twilight of July 13, 1863, flames from the New Baltimore bridge lit the northwest sky. Slow-moving columns of dusty cavalrymen approached Bevis crossroads from the shadows Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's Raiders quietly . . . — Map (db m133650) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Blue Ash — 6 — Blue Ash"You Can't Stop an Army" — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On the morning of July 14, 1863, John Craig Hunt and his ten-year-old son, Wilson, watched from their Blue Ash farmhouse as Confederate raiders led six horses from the barn. When the boy asked his father about his intentions, the father replied, . . . — Map (db m108237) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — 8 — Camp Dennison"The Camp Must Be Held!" — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Sunday afternoon, July 12, 1863, Camp Dennison's commandant, Lieutenant Colonel George W. Neff, learned of Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's approach from Indiana with more than 2,000 Confederate cavalrymen. Neff had about 600 Union . . . — Map (db m108246) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp DennisonThe Secrest Monument
In memory of those organizations which were mustered in or out of the U.S. Service at this camp during the Civil War 1861 - 1865 First Three Months Service April 1861 Infantry 4th-5th-6th-7th-8th-9th-10th 11th-12th . . . — Map (db m108604) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp Dennison
The Land of Opportunity When Ohio was opened for settlement by the Northwest Ordinance (1787) and made secure from Indian attacks by the Treaty of Greenville (1795), it became the new “Promised Land.” The new territory lured . . . — Map (db m134234) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp Dennison Civil War Museum
Bldg. built by C. Waldschmidt 1804 Used as a guard house of the camp 1861-1865 Dedicated Sept. 6,1997 to the men and women who served in the War Between the States State Regent's projects of Mrs. James H. Woolslayer 1995 1998 Civil . . . — Map (db m134235) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Dr. Alfred Buckingham
In memory of Dr. Alfred Buckingham who served as acting ass't surgeon in the Civil War from 1862 to 1865. This flag pole is presented by his daughter Marcia Lucia Buckingham Camp Dennison, Ohio 1933 — Map (db m133590) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Richard Michael Weaver
In Memory of Richard Michael Weaver 1948 1968 Grew up in Camp Dennison Graduated 1967 Indian Hill High School enlisted in the Marines Killed in Action 20 May 1968 During his heroic tour of duty in Viet Nam Awarded two Purple . . . — Map (db m133586) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — 28-31 — Waldschmidt CemeteryCamp Dennison, Ohio
Waldschmidt Cemetery is located on land purchased from former New Jersey judge and Congressman John Cleves Symmes in 1795 by Christian Waldschmidt, one of the first settlers in the Little Miami River Valley. Waldschmidt, from . . . — Map (db m134918) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — "Lincoln - The Man"Lytle Park Series
Former President Taft was to return to Lytle Park on March 31, 1917 to preside at the unveiling of the statue “Lincoln - the Man,” a gift of the Charles P. Tafts. The statue, executed at a cost of $100,000 by Sculptor George Grey . . . — Map (db m24921) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — "Mike" MullenLytle Park Series
It was Michael Mullen, a kindly councilman from the old Eighth Ward for 34 years, whose efforts brought about Lytle Park. After his death in 1921, funds were collected for a new “memorial” bandstand replacing the park's original one. . . . — Map (db m24923) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 1 West Vine Street
This stone column is from a building that stood at this location in the 1840s. The building was at the corner of Water Street and Vine Street. A series of different businesses occupied the site over the years. The Simmons Milling Company was in . . . — Map (db m136167) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 12-31 — 1749 French Claims to Ohio River Valley
Side A: In 1749, the French in North America perceived a threat by British expansion west of the Allegheny Mountains to the Ohio River Valley and beyond. The French commander, Pierre Joseph Celeron, sieur de Blainville, with 250 men, left . . . — Map (db m24610) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — A Beginning . . .Lytle Park Series
The “Little Wilderness” of the 1700's became Lytle Square in 1809 and the setting for this brick mansion of General William H. Lytle, first Surveyor-General of the Northwest Territory and the State of Ohio. The home was razed in 1907. . . . — Map (db m24884) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 34-31 — Albert B. Sabin, MD1906–1993
Albert B. Sabin developed the oral, live-virus polio vaccine at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and Children’s Hospital Research Foundation, where between 1939 and 1969, he conducted his most significant research. His vaccine . . . — Map (db m135005) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Albert Bettinger
Albert Bettinger of Cincinnati A.D. 1854 A.D. 1922 One of the pioneers of waterway improvements throughout the United States and an especially earnest and eloquent advocate of the canalization of the Ohio River He blazed the trail that those . . . — Map (db m135214) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Albert WashingtonAugust 17, 1939 - October 23, 1998 — Cincinnati Music History —
Inspired by B.B. King and seeing Sam Cooke in his youth. Albert recorded on labels Duke, Peacock, Finch, VLM, Bluestown, Fraternity, Jewel, Iris & Eastbound. "You Gonna Miss Me" and "Ramble" in 1962 featured Big Ed Thompson, Sonny Watt & Tim . . . — Map (db m118804) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 11-31 — Anti-German Hysteria
The United States’ declaration of war on Germany in April 1917 resulted in a tragic display of hysteria directed against everything and anything German. In Cincinnati, German teachers were dismissed from public schools, German professors were . . . — Map (db m134945) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Auburn Avenue1830 - 1900
In 1819, the first known residents of the Mt. Auburn hilltop were wealthy families who built country estates. After 1849, when Mt. Auburn was annexed to Cincinnati, it continued to grow as a residential suburb. Prominent businessmen and . . . — Map (db m59350) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Battery F, 136th Field Artillery, A.E.F.
In memory of the service of Battery F, 136th Field Artillery, A.E.F. Erected by the mothers. — Map (db m78356) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Bicentennial Commons at Sawyer Point
Welcome to a spectacular recreational area created as a gift from the people of Cincinnati to the people of Cincinnati in honor of the city's Bicentennial in 1988. Originally, this land was an untouched tree-covered bank along a . . . — Map (db m25597) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Bottoms
A Neighborhood That No Longer Exists Cincinnati is a city of neighborhoods. One of them is very, very special—because it is no longer there. The Bottoms: a dense urban neighborhood full of churches, full of people. It ran from the River . . . — Map (db m24995) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 55-31 — Boyhood Home of Dr. Winthrop Smith Sterling
Dr. Winthrop Smith Sterling (1859-1943) founded Mu Phi Epsilon International Professional Music Fraternity on November 13, 1903, at the Metropolitan School of Music in Cincinnati, where he served as dean. The Victorian frame house was built by his . . . — Map (db m24845) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 88-31 — Camp Joy
Side A Camp Joy was born at the site of Seven Hills Neighborhood House and original location of St. Barnabas Episcopal Mission Church. Displacement and loss caused by Ohio River flood of 1937 inspired St. Barnabas’ rector and his wife, . . . — Map (db m134938) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cherry Tree GroveWorld War I Memorial
In memory of the citizens of Hamilton County who gave their lives in the country's service. 1917 - 1918. These cherry trees were planted by the Garden Club of Cincinnati. 1920 — Map (db m78234) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 72-31 — Cincinnati Breweries / Remaining Brewery Structures
Side A: Cincinnati Breweries The Brewery District contains the majority of Cincinnati's remaining breweries and associated structures such as icehouses, bottling buildings, offices, and stables. With the first brewery north of Liberty Street . . . — Map (db m24835) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cincinnati Fire Fighters
In Memory of the Cincinnati Fire Fighters who died in the line of duty serving in the first paid professional fire department in the United States — Map (db m24087) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 32-31 — Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties
Side A: Cincinnati Public Markets Public markets housing butchers, fish merchants, and produce vendors were once the primary source of perishable foods for residents of America's cities. Cincinnati operated nine in 1859. Only Findlay Market, . . . — Map (db m24814) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 54-31 — Cincinnati Reds
The 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings made history not only as the most dominant baseball club of its time, but also as the first band of professional ballplayers. Cincinnati's decision to pay players proved to be a success, and other cities soon began . . . — Map (db m19919) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 19-31 — Cincinnati Riots of 1884 / Sheriff Morton Lytle Hawkins
Side A: Cincinnati Riots of 1884 In March 1884, public confidence of Cincinnati law enforcement was extremely low. The public believed that murderers and other serious offenders were not brought to justice promptly or received little . . . — Map (db m24598) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 26-31 — Cincinnati Union Terminal
The Cincinnati Union Terminal opened in March 1933 and integrated rail travel in the city, which previously operated from five separate passenger terminals. Built when rail travel was already in decline, Union Terminal stopped operating as a . . . — Map (db m23939) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cincinnati's First PlaygroundLytle Park Series
For many years, Lytle Park echoed the shrieks and laughter of Cincinnati's children. It was dedicated as the city's first public playground, a respite for already crowded inner-city dwellers, on the sunny afternoon of July 6, 1907. The Lytle estate . . . — Map (db m24907) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 22-31 — Cincinnati's German Heritage
Side A: Cincinnati, along with Milwaukee and St. Louis, is one of the three corners of the "German Triangle," so-called for its historically high concentration of German-American residents. During the 19th century, Cincinnati was both a . . . — Map (db m24615) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cleves Warsaw Road Bridge
The Cleves Warsaw Road Bridge, a 244 foot long camelback through truss carried County Road 209 over Muddy Creek from 1923 to 2013. The bridge was constructed by the Brackett Construction Company of Cincinnati. Plans were completed by the . . . — Map (db m135132) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Columbia Baptist Cemetery / ColumbiaFirst Settlement in Hamilton County
Columbia Baptist Cemetery On the higher ground at the end of this lane is Columbia Baptist Cemetery, the last resting place of many of the pioneers who came with Major Benjamin Stites and founded Columbia, November 18, 1788, the first . . . — Map (db m134948) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 89-31 — Columbia Presbyterian & Fulton Cemeteries / William Brown
Columbia Presbyterian & Fulton Cemeteries The cemetery dates to 1794 and is comprised of two adjacent cemeteries: Columbia Presbyterian Cemetery and Fulton Cemetery. Another cemetery, the Fulton Mechanics Cemetery, had been in Fulton, a village . . . — Map (db m134942) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Corporal Merrill Laws Ricketts Marine Corps Memorial
In honor of the United States Marine Corps and the Marines of Hamilton County who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War [Roll of Honored Dead] Corporal Merrill Laws Ricketts XVIII Co., V. Reg., U.S. Marines Defensive Sector • . . . — Map (db m25068) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Donald A Spencer Overlook
As a founding member of the Friends of Cincinnati Parks, Donald Spencer worked tirelessly through the decades to secure funding to sustain and beautify our beloved parks. He is well known as a advocate of free and open access to one of this city's . . . — Map (db m135212) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Dunlap's StationFrontier Outpost in Hamilton County, Ohio — Site of Seige in 1791 —
former site of Fort Dunlap 1790 erected by Boy Scout Troop 275 Mt. Healthy, Ohio — Map (db m78622) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Eden Park Vietnam Memorial
Vietnam in memory of the people who served 1959- 1975 Army Air Force Marines Navy Coast Guard — Map (db m135137) WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Edison R. "Big Ed" ThompsonJanuary 22, 1935 - April 22, 1993 — Cincinnati Music History —
Big Ed was influenced by country radio stars Grandpa Jones and Uncle Dave Macon on WCKY and blues on WZIP radio. He was a session guitarist for ABC Paramount, King and Victor recording studios and regularly featured in H-Bomb Ferguson & the Mad . . . — Map (db m116859) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 38-31 — Elizabeth Blackwell
Born in Bristol, England, Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910), moved to Cincinnati in 1838. Blackwell applied to several medical schools before being accepted to Geneva Medical College in New York. In 1849, she received a medical degree, becoming the . . . — Map (db m24085) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ernie LombardiCatcher 1932-41 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor —
Even more legendary than Ernie Lombardi's pronounced profile were his blistering line drives. Using an interlocking grip and one of the league's heaviest bats, the Crosley-era catcher hit better than .300 seven times for the Reds and remains the . . . — Map (db m52828) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Evanston - World War One Honor RollDuty and Patriotism
1917 - World War Honor Roll - 1918 And when the storm of war was gone, enjoyed the peace your valor won. — Map (db m78646) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Famous Lytle NeighborsLytle Park Series
Dr. Daniel Drake (1785-1852), the city's most famous physician- surgeon and founder of the Ohio Medical College, made his home on nearby Third Street. He was an outstanding author, historian and scientist. Dr. Richard Allison . . . — Map (db m24877) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 33-31 — Findlay Market / General James Findlay                   /                 (1770–1835)
Findlay Market. Ohio’s oldest surviving municipal market house, Findlay Market was designed under the direction of City Civil Engineer Alfred West Gilbert (1816-1900). It was listed,on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The . . . — Map (db m134919) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 59-31 — First Glass Door Oven
The first full-size glass door oven was invented and manufactured here by Ernst H. Huenefeld of The Huenefeld Company in 1909. Specially designed and patented sheet metal frames in the door allowed for expansion and contraction of the glass. The . . . — Map (db m24830) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 5-31 — First National Correctional Congress / Declaration of Principles of 1870
Side A: First National Correctional Congress On this site in October, 1870 a group of enlightened individuals dedicated to the reformation and improvement of penal systems met. This first Congress of the National Prison Association, now known . . . — Map (db m23944) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington1789 - 1808
. . . — Map (db m24855) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort WashingtonLytle Park Series
Southwest of Lytle was Fort Washington, built in 1789 and 1790 and named for President George Washington. The fort protected settlers in the new Ohio country from Indian attacks. It became the base headquarters for the Indian campaigns of Generals . . . — Map (db m24891) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington
The ground on which this building stands formed part of the Fort Washington Reservation — 1789 —— 1808 — This reservation was bounded on the north by Fourth Street, on the east by Ludlow Street, on . . . — Map (db m43124) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington Powder Magazine
Beneath this building lies the powder magazine of Fort Washington, the major military outpost of the United States in the Northwest Territory, 1789-1808. The magazine was uncovered in October, 1952 when footers were being excavated. It is the only . . . — Map (db m24948) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Frank RobinsonOutfielder 1956-65 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor —
Playing with unparalleled intensity, Frank Robinson quickly earned a reputation for challenging pitchers, crowding the plate and charging hard around the bases. He spent the first half of his career in Cincinnati, where his powerful swing produced . . . — Map (db m52825) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Frederick W. GalbraithNational Commander of the American Legion — Commanding Officer, 147th Infantry Regiment, Ohio National Guard —
May 6, 1874-July 9, 1921. President, Cincinnati Rotary Club 1914-1915. Commanding Officer, 147th Infantry Regiment Ohio National Guard, World War I. First National Commander, American Legion 1920. — Map (db m78208) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fuldner Mortuary
In 1845, Jacob Fuldner and Samuel Cobb established an undertaker's shop at 143 Sycamore Street. His son William F. and grandchildren William L., Howard F. and Mary E. carried on the family business until 1977 when it was merged with Schaefer & . . . — Map (db m24310) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 65-31 — Gaines High School / Peter H. Clark
Side A: Gaines High School In 1866, Gaines High School (grades 7-12), one of the first high schools for African Americans in Ohio, opened just west of this site in the same building as the Western District Elementary School, completed in 1859 . . . — Map (db m23956) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 9-31 — Garard/Martin Station, 1790
Marker Front: Site of the first fortified settlement in Anderson Township and one of the first in the Virginia Military District. John Garard and Joseph Martin were the founders of this Station, who, with Elias Garard, Joseph Frazee, and . . . — Map (db m19924) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 52-31 — George Washington Williams
George Washington Williams was born in 1849 in Bedford, Pennsylvania. At age 14, he enlisted in the Union Army to fight in the Civil War and received a medical discharge in 1868. In 1874, he became the first African American to graduate from the . . . — Map (db m25125) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Greek Revival Architecture Example
Built in the 1820's as a residence, this example of Greek Revival Architecture is a contributing element to the West Fourth Street National Register Historic District. The building also housed several businesses, including a homeopathic pharmacy, an . . . — Map (db m98106) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 29-31 — Harriet Beecher Stowe
Harriet Beecher Stowe was born in Litchfield, Connecticut in 1811 and moved to Cincinnati in 1832 when her father, prominent Congregational minister Lyman Beecher became the pastor of the city's Second Presbyterian Church and president of Lane . . . — Map (db m127178) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 44-31 — Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
Hebrew Union College (HUC), founded in Cincinnati in 1875, is the oldest institution of higher Jewish learning in the United States. Its founder, Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900), was a leading proponent of Reform Judaism in America. In 1950, the . . . — Map (db m24847) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ida Street Bridge
“The Bridge of the Arts” Dedicated September 12, 1931. Restored 2015 Designed by J. R. Biedinger Listed in the National Register of Historic Places

In grateful appreciation of the Mount Adams Civic Association for its generous . . . — Map (db m113325) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 88-31 — Inventor Obed Hussey Tests His Reaper, 1835
Mechanical reapers enabled farmers to harvest much more grain than they could by sickle or scythe. In June 1835, in a field 800 feet southeast of Mill Creek, inventor Obed Hussey (1791–1860) tested what he upheld as the first successful . . . — Map (db m134914) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Joe NuxhallPitcher 1944, 1952-60, 1962-66 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor —
With a wartime player shortage affecting rosters throughout baseball, Joe Nuxhall got the chance of a lifetime. At 15 years, 10 months and 11 days old, the high-school hurler took the mound for the Reds at Crosley Field and became the youngest . . . — Map (db m52826) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 27-31 — John James Audubon in Cincinnati
The Cincinnati Museum of Natural History is part of Cincinnati Museum Center. The Western Museum Society, organized by Dr. Daniel Drake in 1818, preceded it. The Western Museum Society's collection was built around ornithology, fossil zoology, . . . — Map (db m23935) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — John L. Vance
John L. Vance Gallipolis, Ohio A.D. 1839 A.D. 1921 He served untiringly as president of the Ohio Valley Improvement Association for more then a quarter of a century and weary with the weight of the years he passed on, bequeathing to others . . . — Map (db m135213) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Kennedy Speech
From a platform erected on this site President John F. Kennedy made a speech on October 8, 1962 — Map (db m98033) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Laurel-Lincoln World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m25039) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lucius Quinctius CincinnatusCirca 458 BC
The legendary Roman is seen here after he had defeated the Aequians and rescued the trapped Roman army. With one hand he returns the fasces, symbol of power as appointed dictator of Rome. His other hand holds the plow, as he resumes the life of a . . . — Map (db m25596) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ludlow's StationOutpost on the Ohio Frontier — St Clair and Wayne campsite —
Near this spot stood the block house at Ludlow Station built in 1791. - - - - - - General Arthur St. Clair and his army encamped here from Aug. 1st to Sept. 17th, 1791. - - - - - - General Anthony Wayne and his army . . . — Map (db m78961) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle At ChristmasLytle Park Series
Lytle Park was a showplace at Christmas time for 28 years from 1939 to 1967. Thousands crowded here to view the annual Nativity Crib of the Western and Southern Life Insurance Company complete with live animals. The crib has been moved to Eden . . . — Map (db m24927) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle ParkLytle Park Series
Welcome to Lytle, the park that was rescued from 20th Century progress. Discovered by Cincinnati's first settlers in 1788 as wilderness, then a grove of peach trees, it became the grounds to an elegant estate and, later, the city's first public . . . — Map (db m24876) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle's SurroundingsLytle Park Series
Time has changed much of Lytle's surroundings. These handsome townhouses which stood on East Fourth Street were residences of many of Cincinnati's most prominent citizens. Most of the homes became service and civic clubs in the 20th Century and . . . — Map (db m24928) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair1736 - 1818
Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair 1736 - 1818 The city of Cincinnati was named by General St. Clair Hamilton County was created by His proclamation Jan. 4, 1790 First governor of the Northwest Territory Oct. 5, 1787 Major General . . . — Map (db m43995) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Manning Ferguson Force MemorialBrevet Major General Union Army — Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient —
Manning F. Force was born Washington D.C., Dec. 17, 1824, son of Peter and Hannah (Evans) Force. Graduate of Harvard Law School, 1848, admitted to the Ohio Bar, 1850. Civil War Brevet Major General –In battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, . . . — Map (db m94275) WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — C- 62 — Military Roads — Modern Streets and Highways Follow Old Army Trails —
Approximately at this point two Ohio military trails branched. Reading Road fol- lows the marches of Bowman, Clark, Harmar, Harrison, Clay and Shelby.1779- 1812. Central Parkway follows the route of St. Clair and Wayne, 1791- 1793 C- . . . — Map (db m79007) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 57-31 — Miss Doherty's College Preparatory School for Girls
Mary Harlan Doherty was born in 1862 in the Dayton Street neighborhood of Cincinnati. She graduated from Woodward High School in 1880 at a time when women were not expected to go to college, but rather to marry, raise children, and take care of . . . — Map (db m24624) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Adams
Originally called Mt. Ida, Mt. Adams was a significant section of the Nicholas Longworth Vineyard, which developed the Catawba grape from which America's first champagne was produced. The name was changed to Mt. Adams in 1843 to honor President John . . . — Map (db m113323) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Adams
Mt. Adams

Originally a forest towering above Ft. Washington; then a vineyard on the Nicholas Longworth Estate, the mansion house of which is the Taft Museum; then a neighborhood of German and Irish immigrants; later an enclave of artisans . . . — Map (db m113324) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Adams Pilgrim Chapel
Pilgrim Chapel began as a mission of the First Presbyterian Church in 1882. It was originally located in downtown Cincinnati. The Church was moved to Mt. Adams and has served the Protestant Community since its dedication on May 1, 1886. Catholics . . . — Map (db m113312) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Airy ForestListed on the National Register of Historic Places April 13, 2010
Property for Mt. Airy Forest was first acquired in 1911. Its listing by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, shows the period of significance as 1911-1959 and notes the following: * One of the nation's first city reforestation . . . — Map (db m85300) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — C62 — Ohio Military Trails
Approximately at this point two Ohio military trails branched. Reading Road fol- lows the marches of Bowman, Clark, Harmar, Harrison, Clay and Shelby, 1779 - 1812. Central Parkway follows the route of St. Clair and Wayne, . . . — Map (db m43955) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ohio River MonumentA.D. 1670   A.D. 1929 — The Ohio Valley Improvement Association —
Plaque A

“River Ohio so called by the Iroquois on account of its beauty- descended by Sieur Robert de la Salle.”

Discovered by the French explorer LaSalle, about 1670 and claimed by him for Louis XIV of France.

Seized . . . — Map (db m135159) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Old Columbia Baptist Church and Meeting House
The first meetinghouse of the Columbia Baptist Church- the earliest in Ohio- stood on this site.

In 1787, Captain Benjamin Stites traveled down the Ohio River with supplies to assist the new settlements in Kentucky. Captain Stites ventured . . . — Map (db m135250) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Piatt Park
The first park in Cincinnati Donated to the people in 1817 by John H. Piatt & Benjamin M. Piatt — Map (db m24308) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Pioneer PillarFirst Church in the Northwest Territory
to the Pioneers landing near this spot, Nov. 18,1788 The Baptists of Columbia Township, in 1889 erect this pillar to commemorate the heroism and piety the first Baptist pioneers of 1788- 90 the first church in the Northwest territory was . . . — Map (db m135215) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Pleasant Ridge - World War One MarkerLest We Forget
Let Us Hold in Honored Memory Those Who Served Their Country in the Great War * 1917 - 1918 * — Map (db m78724) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 48-31 — Powhatan Beaty / Union Baptist Cemetery
(front) Powhatan Beaty Born in Richmond, Virginia. Powhatan Beaty moved to Cincinnati in 1849, where he spent the majority of his life. Beaty enlisted as a private in the Union Army in June 1863, and two days later was promoted . . . — Map (db m87543) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — President William Howard TaftLytle Park Series
Lytle Park echoed the excitement of July 28, 1908, when President William Howard Taft (1909-1913) was officially notified of his nomination to the Presidency at the Taft home of his half-brother Charles. — Map (db m24908) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 36-31 — Procter & Gamble
Begun as a partnership between soap maker William Procter and candle maker James Gamble in 1837, Procter & Gamble (P&G) grew from its roots to become one of the world's largest and best-known consumer products companies. Building on Civil War . . . — Map (db m24600) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 51-31 — Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Side A: Among the first in America, Cincinnati's public library dates from March 14, 1853. A public reading room opened in 1856, but funding remained a problem until 1867, when local school board president Rufus King II secured legislation for a . . . — Map (db m24088) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 41-31 — Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise and the Plum Street Temple
This historic synagogue symbolizes the work of one of the most important figures in nineteenth-century American Jewry, Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900). The Bohemian-born rabbi's many achievements include the establishment of the Union of American . . . — Map (db m24089) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Robert Alphonso Taft
"Mr. Republican" Son of William Howard Taft 1889-1953 Ohio House of Representatives 1921-19226 Ohio Senate 1931-1933 United States Senator from Ohio 1939-1953

Jacques Lipchitx - Sculptor Gift of the Thomas J. Emery Memorial . . . — Map (db m59352) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 35-31 — Robert S. Duncanson
The first African American artist to achieve international acclaim, painter Robert S. Duncanson (1821-1872) was born in New York and settled in Cincinnati in 1840. He pursued his artistic career during a time of tremendous racial prejudice and was . . . — Map (db m24854) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 61-31 — Salmon Portland Chase
Side A: Salmon Portland Chase, a renowned lawyer and statesman, was born in Cornish, New Hampshire, on January 13, 1808. He came to Ohio in 1820 and attended Cincinnati College (1822-23). Chase returned to New Hampshire and graduated from . . . — Map (db m24621) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Site of Home Field of First Pro Baseball Team
The first professional baseball team, the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings, played their home games on this site in a ballpark called Union Grounds. The facility included a main grandstand (nicknamed the “Grand Duchess”), two wings of . . . — Map (db m23937) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Stephen C. Foster
On the site of this school between the years 1846 - 1850 lived Stephen C. Foster Master of the Art of Song Composer of My Old Kentucky Home Swanee River Old Black Joe and many others In Native ballad form and . . . — Map (db m43654) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 24-31 — Taft Museum of ArtBaum-Longworth-Sinton-Taft House
This Federal house was begun about 1820 for Martin Baum (1765-1831), one of Cincinnati's early merchants. Art patron and abolitionist Nicholas Longworth (1782-1863) lived here for more than thirty years and commissioned the notable landscape murals . . . — Map (db m24602) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ted KluszewskiFirst Baseman 1947-57 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor —
Ted Kluszewski was an imposing physical specimen, a quintessential power hitter and the inspiration for Cincinnati's sleeveless uniforms. With room for his bulging biceps to move, “Big Klu” muscled his way through the 1950s, averaging . . . — Map (db m52827) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The "Church of the Steps" (Immaculata),
built in 1859, was constructed from stone quarried from the slopes of Mt. Adams. Early it was known as the "Archbishop's Church" in honor of Archbishop Purcell (1800-83) who donated the land and supervised construction. It was conceived as a votive . . . — Map (db m112918) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 18-31 — The Sultana
In 1862, less than a mile upriver from this marker, the John Lithoberry Shipyard in Cincinnati constructed the Sultana, a 260-foot, wooden steam transport. At the end of the Civil War, the U.S. Government contracted the Sultana to . . . — Map (db m24614) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Athenaeum(St. Xavier College)
On this property in 1831 Bishop Edward Fenwick established a college known as the Anthenaeum and placed it under the patronage of St. Francis Xavier. In 1840 his seccessor, Bishop John Baptist Purcell, gave the College to members of . . . — Map (db m42659) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall

On August 13, 1961, the totalitarian government of East Germany split Berlin with a wall of concrete. Free expression of thought disappeared, From 1961 to 1989 some 130 people were killed attempting to escape through . . . — Map (db m130350) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 39-31 — The Betts House, 1804
The oldest building in Cincinnati's basin area, the Betts House exemplifies a national trend on the expanding frontier of impermanent log and frame structures giving way to more permanent brick architecture. It is the earliest surviving brick . . . — Map (db m23943) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 58-31 — The Black Brigade of Cincinnati
Side A: Following the success of Confederate forces in eastern Kentucky and General John Hunt Morgan's raids there in 1862, Cincinnatians believed that Southern invasion was imminent. Anxious officials ordered Cincinnati citizens to form home . . . — Map (db m24617) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Burnet House
When it opened May 30, 1850, the 340-room hotel located on this site was considered one of the finest hotels in the world. Abraham Lincoln stayed here on September 17-18, 1859, while campaigning for the Ohio Republican Party. Lincoln also stayed at . . . — Map (db m98117) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 4-31 — The Church / The Founder
The Church Families of Salem settlement first held services in Francis McCormick's log home. When he gave land in 1817 for a church and public school, they built a log church on this site, later replacing it with a brick building. In 1863 the . . . — Map (db m19922) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 23-31 — The Cincinnati Observatory"Lighthouse of the Sky"
Side A: Prompted by response to his popular lectures, astronomer Ormsby MacKnight Mitchel (1809-1862) founded the Cincinnati Astronomical Society (CAS) in 1842. With CAS funding, Mitchel traveled to Munich, Bavaria, to acquire the optical . . . — Map (db m24623) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The First High Rise Concrete Frame Building in the United States
Commemorating the first high rise concrete frame building in the United States Erected 1903 — Map (db m55562) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Gamble House1850
Home of James Gamble founder of Proctor and Gamble Re-Dedicated in 1992 — Map (db m23957) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 14-31 — The Irish in Cincinnati
Side A: Flatboats on the Ohio River brought many of the first Irish, some with land grants received after the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, to the Cincinnati area. In 1789, Francis Kennedy arrived in Losantiville, where he operated . . . — Map (db m24611) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 46-31 — The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives
Dr. Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995), pioneering historian of the American Jew, founded the American Jewish Archives (AJA) in Cincinnati in 1947. In the aftermath of World War II and the brutal destruction of European Jewry, Marcus anticipated the . . . — Map (db m24849) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 37-31 — The Kroger Co. / Over-The-Rhine
The Kroger Co. Near this site in was one of the original Kroger Grocery & Baking Company stores, where Bernard H. Kroger began serving the Over-the-Rhine area in 1902. Kroger was 23 years when he opened his first store. The Great Western Tea . . . — Map (db m133320) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Miami and Erie Canal
The Miami and Erie Canal ———— • ———— Over this site once flowed the Miami and Erie Canal, linking the Ohio River with the Maumee and Lake Erie. The canal was opened in 1827 and was finally . . . — Map (db m43960) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Taft MuseumLytle Park Series
Elegance has surrounded Lytle almost from the beginning. This imposing, Federal-style mansion, built by Martin Baum in 1820, became the social and cultural center of Cincinnati in the mid-1880's under the ownership of Nicholas Longworth, a noted . . . — Map (db m24894) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Tucker's StationOutpost on the Ohio Frontier — Anthony Wayne campsite —
In the year 1792, Henry Tucker started clearing land and erecting a Station House on the old Indian Trace in what is now the village of Woodlawn. He had purchased the land from John Cleves Symmes for two dollars per acre. Fear of Indian Attack drove . . . — Map (db m76291) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — White's Station
Here, at the third crossing of Mill Creek, Jacob White, in 1790, built a stockaded settlement consisting of six cabins and a blockhouse. White’s Station was one of several walled settlements which guarded the approaches of Cincinnati and . . . — Map (db m76218) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 43-31 — William Howard Taft / Robert Alphonso Taft
William Howard Taft Born here on September 15, 1857, William Howard Taft is the only American to have served as President and Chief Justice of the United States. His unique career of public service began after he graduated from Yale University . . . — Map (db m59348) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Wiltsee Undertaker
In 1836, Paul Rust, cabinetmaker was selling “coffins”. Developed into a modern funeral home by three generations of the Wiltsee family. The operation was entrusted in 1945 to two employees, Schaefer & Busby. It is now Ohio's oldest . . . — Map (db m24309) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 61-31 — Woodward High School / School for Creative and Performing Arts
Side A: Woodward High School William and Abigail Cutter Woodward founded Woodward High School, the first public high school west of the Allegheny Mountains, on this site October 24, 1831. Concerned that the poor of Cincinnati had no avenues . . . — Map (db m24596) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — World’s Largest Chime Foot PianoVerdin
This one-of-a-kind structure was designed and built by Cincinnati’s Verdin Company. Sensors under the piano keys electronically cause the strikers at the top of the structure to ring the chimes. The chimes themselves are historic. They were . . . — Map (db m98037) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cleves — “To commemorate the services of the citizens of Cleves”Cleves World War I and II Memorial
“To commemorate the services of the citizens of Cleves , who served in the armed forces of their country. Some of whom made the supreme sacrifice in World Wars I and II.” This tablet and drinking fountain are gratefully . . . — Map (db m135129) WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cleves — 21-31 — Site of Internment Camp     Lochry’s Expedition, 1781
side A Border warfare characterized the American Revolution on the northwest frontier. Between August 26 and September 15, 1781, sixty-four survivors of Lochry's Expedition were held captive by "Butler's Rangers" (British-allied Indians led by . . . — Map (db m134916) WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cleves — 20-31 — William Henry Harrison / and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal
side A (south) Harrison, later to become the ninth president of the United States, was a strong supporter of the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal project and a major subscriber of stock in the canal company. He sold land from his North Bend . . . — Map (db m78769) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Deer Park — 7 — Deer ParkA Courageous Bluff — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
While many Ohioans panicked in the path of Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's cavalry — hiding their valuables and fleeing their homes — the Schencks and the Thompsons resolved to defend both. During the Civil War this . . . — Map (db m108238) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Elizabethtown — Indiana - Ohio State Line Monument
(South Face) State Line as resurveyed under a joint resolution passed by Indiana on the 27th Jan. and by Ohio on the 10th March 1837. (East Face) Ohio (North Face) Erected Nov. 27th, 1838. (West . . . — Map (db m81784) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Evendale — 5 — EvendaleMorgan's Raiders Spread Out from Sharonville — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
More than a week after the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, nearly 2,000 rebel soldiers remained on Northern soil. In the early morning of July 14, 1863, the crack Confederate cavalry division of Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan . . . — Map (db m108240) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 77-51 — Eckstein School1915-1958
Eckstein Elementary School operated on this site from 1915-1958 serving the Glendale's Negro Children from Kindergarten through eighth grade. The school was named in honor of Eleanor Eckstein, who taught the children at various locations in this . . . — Map (db m133585) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — First Children's International Summer Village
Site of first Children's International Summer Village June 3-30, 1951 Doris Twitchell Allen, Founder Erastus S. Allen — Map (db m98163) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 3 — GlendaleMorgan's Confederates Arrive from Springdale — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
At 2 am on July 14, 1863, the sound of hooves on Sharon Avenue's cobblestones interrupted the dark morning stillness. While many townspeople slept, those awakened were terrified by what they saw. Peering from their Glendale College dorm windows, . . . — Map (db m98212) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — Taken for Granite?
The large stones used here as fountain elements, benches, and garden accents were quarried from a deposit of granite in Milford, Massachusetts in 1887. These stones artifacts were originally cut for the construction of the Cincinnati Chamber of . . . — Map (db m134160) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 31-66 — The Eliza House
Three hundred yards east of this location on Oak Road, overlooking the Miami & Erie Canal, was the house of abolitionist John Van Zandt 1791-1847). For years this house was known as one of the most active "stations” on the Underground . . . — Map (db m133584) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 40-31 — Village of Glendale1855
Established in 1851 after the addition of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railway, Glendale incorporated in 1855 as Ohio's first planned community and one of the nation's first planned villages. The original planning included forested . . . — Map (db m19925) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — Welcome to the Cotswald Overlook
This lovely land, acquired by William and Mary J. Burchenal in 1936, was a 360-acre working farm. Black Angus cattle grazed in the pasture below and corn and soybeans were grown in the fields beyond. Across the creek were hay fields and an apple . . . — Map (db m134159) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — Harrison War Memorial
In honor of the men of Harrison, Ohio who made the supreme sacrifice

Korean Conflict Congressional Medal of Honor Award William Baugh World War II Willard Baker   Elvyn Fagley   Gilbert Otto Eugene Barrow   Robert Gillman . . . — Map (db m133623) WM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — John Hunt Morgan Heritage TrailHarrison — Morgan Invades Ohio —
Before noon on July 13, 1863, heads in Harrison turned towards the distant rumble of hooves on the covered bridge over the Whitewater River southwest of town. A long line of Confederate horsemen -- more than 2000 -- inched their way down the hill . . . — Map (db m133611) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — P.F.C. William B. Baugh, U.S.M.C.
In honor of P.F.C. William B. Baugh, U.S.M.C. (July 7, 1930 - Nov. 29, 1950), awarded Medal of Honor posthumously for action at Koto-Ri, Korea Sacrificed his life by smothering an enemy hand grenade with his body thereby saving the lives of his . . . — Map (db m133622) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Hazelwood — 25-31 — Civic Organizations in Hazelwood(1941-2000)
Civic organizations played pivotal roles in the development of the residential community of Hazelwood, founded as a subdivision of Blue Ash in 1888. The Hazelwood Civic Association, initially established as the Brothers Civic Society in 1941, . . . — Map (db m133118) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Hyde Park — St. Marys World War Marker
Erected by St Marys Congregation----In honor of the men who served their country during the World War 1917---1918 Sacred to the memory of those who died for Liberty, Justice and Peace Joseph Dermody Frank Mullarkey . . . — Map (db m106311) WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Mariemont — 27-31 — Mariemont
Ground was broken for Mariemont by Mary M. Emery, the village's founder, on April 23, 1923. This planned community was designed by eminent town planner John Nolen and twenty five of America’s leading architects. As part of the garden city . . . — Map (db m133289) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Mariemont — 49-31 — The Madisonville Site
The Madisonville site is the largest and most thoroughly studied village of the late Fort Ancient culture (AD 1450-1670). Artifacts were so abundant here that local residents called this site the "pottery field.” Between 1879 and 1911, a . . . — Map (db m133287) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Mt Healthy — Jediah Hill Covered Bridge
Built by Jediah Hill 1850 Major Reconstructions 1956 & 1981 Listed in National Historic Register 1973 — Map (db m86973) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — Blockhouse
500 feet west of this marker near the big spring is the site of the the blockhouse erected by Capt. Aaron Mercer in 1792 establishing Mercersburgh later known as Newtown. First settlement in Anderson Township — Map (db m133278) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — 90-31 — Clark Stone House
The Clark Stone House, constructed around 1801 by James Clark (1765-1852), is one of the oldest standing stone houses in Ohio. Clark, who served as a drummer in the Battle of Yorktown (1781), came with his family to Anderson Township in 1797 and . . . — Map (db m133276) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — 76-31 — Miller - Leuser Log House
Ichabod Benton Miller purchased 440 acres in Anderson Township on April 2, 1796. The log house Miller built on his property around 1796 was continuously occupied for more than 170 years until the Anderson Township Historical Society . . . — Map (db m133284) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — Abraham BrowerNeighbor of William Henry Harrison
in memory of Abraham Brower a pioneer of the Ohio Valley 1822- 1911 — Map (db m81990) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — 47-31 — Benjamin Harrison / William Henry Harrison
Benjamin Harrison (1833-1901) was born here on a farm established by his grandfather, William Henry Harrison. A graduate of Miami University in Oxford, Harrison read law in Cincinnati and then moved to Indianapolis to practice. He became . . . — Map (db m82635) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — Fort FinneySouthwest Corner of Ohio
Fort Finney A company of soldiers from Fort Pitt landed at the mouth of the great Miami, October 28, 1785, and immediately began the building of a fort near this site. It was called “Fort Finney” in honor of Major Walter Finney who . . . — Map (db m78630) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — 84-31 — Good Will Fresh Air Camp"Good Will Fresh Air Farm Spells Happiness to Children; Adults"
Reverend Richard E. Scully, founder of the Cincinnati Goodwill operated a Fresh Air Camp for women and children in the 1930s and '40s. The camp was part of a 100-acre site with vegetable fields, a swimming pool, tennis courts and horseshoe pits. The . . . — Map (db m134936) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — 8- 31 — John Cleves SymmesCongress Green Cemetery — Two Subjects, One Marker —
side A Judge John Cleves Symmes of New Jersey purchased a huge tract of land "between the Miamis" (rivers) stretching from the Ohio River to the Greenville Treaty Line that became known as the Miami Purchase. Symmes helped found the . . . — Map (db m82016) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — Point FarmWilliam Henry Harrison’s gift to son and grandson — Site of Fort Finney —
(DAR emblem) Point Farm given by William Henry Harrison February 9, 1773 – April 4, 1841 ninth president of the United States of America to his son, John Scott Harrison, Congressman who reared his son Benjamin Harrison August . . . — Map (db m78690) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — William Henry Harrison Memorial
William Henry Harrison Secretary of the Northwest Territory Delegate of the Northwest Territory to Congress Territorial Governor of Indiana Member of Congress from Ohio Ohio State Senator United States Senator from Ohio Minister to Colombia Ninth . . . — Map (db m93185) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), North Bend — William Henry Harrison Tomb
(Text same as Marker Title.) (there are multiple other markers with text on this site) — Map (db m78754) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Sharonville — 12 Mile HouseHistoric Landmark — ★ Built 1842 ★ —
Historic Landmark 12 Mile House ★ Built 1842 ★ Located 12 miles from the Ohio River, it was on the stage coach route between Cincinnati and Dayton. Bricks for this building were made . . . — Map (db m108235) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Sharonville — 4 — Sharonville"The Greatest Excitement That I Ever Seen" — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
Around 3 am on July 14, 1863, more than 2,000 grimy hard-looking, heavily armed cavalrymen, most without uniforms plodded toward Main Street from the west. Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's Raiders had arrived. Many of the . . . — Map (db m108241) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 13-31 — Maple Knoll Village
A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in 1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit maternity home for destitute women and children. These public minded social leaders were . . . — Map (db m133583) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 71-31 — Morgan’s Raid Through Springdale
(side 1) In July 1863, Confederate Brigadier-General John Hunt Morgan led a force of 2,000 cavalrymen across southern Ohio. Morgan's force entered Ohio from Indiana. A chase ensued as Union cavalry pursued Morgan's men across twenty Ohio . . . — Map (db m133555) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 70-31 — Old Saint Mary Cemetery
In 1801, the Springdale Presbyterian Church acquired these two and a half acres to construct a church and cemetery. Although the church moved to a new location in 1833, the cemetery remained and continued to receive regular internments until the . . . — Map (db m133110) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Terrace Park — Covalt Station
Consisting of blockhouse and palisade Was built near this site by Captain Abram Covalt 1789 In honor of Blanche Bacon Meyers Organizing Regent — Map (db m57440) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 2017-02 — Barney-Fisk-Stearns PropertyStearns Woods
This was the location of the stately Victorian home of Roderick Barney and family. Mr. Barney served as mayor of Wyoming from 1886- 1896. During his tenure, h was instrumental in establishing Wyoming’s water works department and the . . . — Map (db m135117) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 2017-6 — Birthplace of "Wyoming"
c. 1854, retail merchant Robert Reily built this home, Twin Oaks, on a large lot that that included orchards, vineyards, and a stable. Here Reilly and his family enjoyed what was then the country life. In early April, 1861, Reily invited . . . — Map (db m135128) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 2016-03 — Doughboy
Not long after World War I, in 1923, the Wyoming Women’s Club decided that Wyoming should erect a memorial honoring those who had served in that war.

They formed a testimonial committee that included members of the village council. The . . . — Map (db m135014) HM WM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — Linden Drive
In 1864 & 1865, George Sulliva Stearns purchased two parcels of land totaling nearly 24 acres around the crest of a hill in what had recently become known as Wyoming. On that land, he built a lovely Victorian house, complete with a . . . — Map (db m135036) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 2016-1 — Lockland- Wyoming Train Station
The lives of the residents of the valley were greatly changed with the addition of the train depot in 1851. The Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad (C.H.&D.) was now carrying passengers and stopping here. The eight hour trip to downtown . . . — Map (db m135044) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — Milestoneof the Hamilton, Springfield and Carthage Turnpike — established 1834 —
“Springfield Pike” was a toll road through Wyoming for many years. for each ten miles on the road, travelers paid from 6 ¼ c for a horse and rider to 75c for a four-wheeled carriage drawn by four horses. persons going to or . . . — Map (db m134935) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 3-31 — Robert Reily
Robert Reily, founder of the village of Wyoming in 1861. He was born June 1, 1820, the son of John and Nancy Hunter Reily of Butler County. He served as a major, lieutenant colonel and colonel of the 75th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the . . . — Map (db m19920) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — Spreen’s CornerSpreen’s Grocery — 1890- 1934 —
Spreen’s Corner site of Spreen’s Grocery 1890- 1934 August Spreen, proprietor Village of Wyoming Treasurer of Council 1899- 1934 Fire Chief 1911- 1934

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m135015) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 30-31 — Stearns and Foster Company
The Stearns and Foster Company was co-founded by George S. Stearns, one of the founding fathers of the City of Wyoming, and Seth Foster. Family-owned for 139 years, the company saw the nation through three wars and the Great Depression. A few of its . . . — Map (db m134934) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Wyoming — 2017- 4 — Wyoming Avenue Business District
As was common, business districts developed around transportation routes. Wyoming was no different. The train tracks to the east began with passenger trains. Merchants located their businesses where those traveling on the train would pass each . . . — Map (db m135038) HM

169 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement