The landscape of northwest Ohio was formed by melting ice and glacial lakes left behind in its wake. Because of the low gradient (3 feet fall per mile) to the northeast, the flat lacustrine plain evolved into a large swamp. A massive swamp forest . . . — — Map (db m61753) HM
Front Text : "Prairie Des Mascoutins"
In 1742, a tribe of Kickapoo requested permission from Montreal's Governor to move to a Mascoutin village on both sides of the river here. French "Coureurs de Bois" traders named the wide floodplain "La . . . — — Map (db m54540) HM
Front Text : "Civil War Camp Latty"
Camp Latty was located at the corner of Riverview and Glenwood Avenues in Napoleon, Ohio and included Glenwood Cemetery in its grounds. This camp was named for Judge Alexander S. Latty, a staunch supporter of . . . — — Map (db m54539) HM
Henry County was organized in 1834 and Napoleon became the county seat in 1835. The first Court was held in a two-story log cabin located at the corner of Perry and Front Streets.
The first Courthouse was a plain two-story structure costing . . . — — Map (db m28489) HM