Lighthouse and keeper's dwelling, erected in 1871 to replace the 1825 structures designed by Jonathan Goldsmith. From the time it guided early settlers into the Western Reserve until it was decommissioned in 1925, this station served Great Lakes . . . — — Map (db m19364) HM
In search of a westward-flowing river, French explorer and trader René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle (1643-1687) mounted an inland expedition from the south shore of Lake Erie at the mouth of the Grand River in the fall of 1669. Thought to be . . . — — Map (db m19362) HM
Dedicated in 1836, the “House of the Lord,” commonly known as Kirtland Temple, served as the center of the community life for the thousands of church members in and around Kirtland. Distinctive design features include two large assembly . . . — — Map (db m22565) HM
Kirtland in the 1830s became an early gathering place and headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which
had been organized under divine inspiration by Joseph Smith in
western New York in 1830. Here the Mormons, as they are . . . — — Map (db m137136) HM
Originally a horse barn owned and converted by the Klump family, Rabbit Run Theater opened in 1946. In its early years, Rabbit Run operated as a professional summer stock theater and many well-known actors such as Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn, Jim . . . — — Map (db m122812) HM
This small building buzzed with activity during the 1880 presidential campaign. Garfield changed this library into the headquarters for his political supporters and a meeting room for the press who covered the election campaign that summer and . . . — — Map (db m49010) HM
In 1893, twelve years after James A. Garfield's assassination, Lucretia Garfield directed the construction of the Queen Anne-style carriage house off to the left. About 1900, the structure's interior was remodeled and an extension added on the . . . — — Map (db m49001) HM
The first house here, built in 1831-32 by James Dickey, stood only 1 1/2-stories tall. In 1876, Congressman James A. Garfield bought the Dickey farm and, in 1880, had the house extensively remodeled. By raising its roof and expanding its outer . . . — — Map (db m49132) HM
From July to November 1880, Republican candidate James A. Garfield staged his presidential campaign from his home. Using this porch as his rostrum, Garfield delivered dozens of speeches - some more than two hours long - to more than 15,000 . . . — — Map (db m49005) HM
This barn, originally locate near Mentor Avenue, was built for James A. Garfield in 1877. Although part of a larger barn complex during Garfield's time, the horse barn was relocated here. After Garfield's death, his widow, Lucretia, had the . . . — — Map (db m49093) HM
In 1885, workers discovered an abundant supply of natural gas at Lawnfield and built a stone-and-brick gasholder building. A few years later, workers drilled a new 800-foot-deep gas well and, in 1893, reduced the gasholder building by one-half when . . . — — Map (db m49120) HM
His oratorical powers made him a master recruiter.
His willingness to learn earned him important field commands.
His talents for organization won him praise, distinction and the rank of Major General at the Battle of Chickamauga.
His gallant . . . — — Map (db m39864) HM
In 1876, James A. Garfield bought this 118-acre farm in the rural village of Mentor, Ohio, and soon purchased an additional 40 acres. Over the next four years, Garfield doubled the size of the house and made it a home for his wife, Lucretia, their . . . — — Map (db m49084) HM
James A. Garfield
Twentieth President of the
United States of America
"How sweet and inviting the
dear home beckons me away among
the green fields of Mentor."
From a letter written by
James Garfield to his wife . . . — — Map (db m49085) HM
The first settlement in this county was made near this site in 1797 and was known as Marsh Settlement. The early residents were: Jesse Phelps, Hosmer Merry and the families of Jared Ward, Moses Parks, Charles Parker and Ebenezer Merry.
For . . . — — Map (db m49141) HM
For over 200 years, the Mentor Lagoons have had a major impact on northeastern Ohio and its people. Located on the site of a large estuary where the Grand River once flowed into Lake Erie, the area evolved into a large marsh. It was here in 1797 . . . — — Map (db m43748) HM
[History related excerpts from the marker]
Natural Shoreline of Lake Erie
The Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve's 1.5-mile shoreline represents the longest stretch of publicly accessible natural beach in Ohio. Because it is one of the last . . . — — Map (db m49134) HM
The City of Mentor and George E. Hayward V.F.W. Post 9295 are proud to dedicate this memorial in tribute to those who gallantly served our country and to those currently serving in the Armed Forces. The American flag proudly represents the . . . — — Map (db m49133) HM
This dirt lane once led to the farm's northern fields and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad tracks, about 3/4 mile from here.
During the 1880 presidential campaign, the railroad ran special trains that stopped at Garfield's Farm. From . . . — — Map (db m49119) HM
From the 1920s through the 1970s, Mentor was recognized as the Rose Capital of the Nation. Lake effect climate, a variety of soils, and abundant water made Mentor ideal for growing roses. Over a dozen growers produced about five million plants a . . . — — Map (db m43749) HM
The Garfield family' windmill towered 60 feet above its stone base. Lucretia had the original tower built in 1894 to overcome problems with an old polluted well and a gas engine water pump she had installed in 1885. The new tower provided the . . . — — Map (db m49121) HM
This oak tree on this point is a direct descendant of the famous Connecticut Charter Oak.
The oak was planted, General Paine’s remains moved to this site, and his statue erected in 1900 by the D.A.R.
This marker, placed by the City . . . — — Map (db m134156) HM
Born in Cincinnati in 1850, Dan Beard was a nationally known illustrator and artist. Early years and summers spent here strongly influenced his career. Beard's American Boy's Handy-Book (1882), a manual of woodcraft and nature lore, was one . . . — — Map (db m122805) HM
Edward Paine, 1746–1841. Captain in the War of the Revolution. Founder of Painesville, A.D. 1800.
Born January 27, 1746, in Bolton, Connecticut. Entered service as ensign in the Connecticut Militia. Commissioned First Lieutenant in . . . — — Map (db m134133) HM
On this site, the evening of December 29, 1866, a group of men gathered in the First Baptist Church for a prayer meeting which resulted in the founding of the Painesville Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). Two years later the YMCA outgrew its . . . — — Map (db m122798) HM
On February 8, 1848, the Ohio Legislature incorporated the Cleveland, Painesville, and Ashtabula Railroad Company, which reached Painesville in 1851, with track and a depot. President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrived in Painesville on February 16, . . . — — Map (db m122808) HM
The famed master builder Jonathan Goldsmith designed and built this well-proportioned Federal style residence for Dr. John H. Mathews. It is considered to be one of the finest Goldsmith houses. The house was moved to its present location on the . . . — — Map (db m122807) HM
Among the fifty-four buildings that comprise the Mentor Avenue District are examples of Federal, Greek Revival, Early Romanesque Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Anne, and twentieth century eclectic styles. Renowned master builder Jonathan . . . — — Map (db m122799) HM
The Casement House. Western Reserve agriculturalist Charles Clement
Jennings built the Casement House, also known
as the “Jennings Place,” for his daughter Frances
Jennings Casement in 1870. Designed by Charles W.
Heard, . . . — — Map (db m134514) HM
This Italianate-style house is the former home of noted educational leader Thomas W. Harvey. Here he wrote A Practical Grammar of the English Language, as well as a series of language texts and readers. First published in 1868, Harvey's . . . — — Map (db m122797) HM
Built in 1819, this classic Greek Revival style colonial is attributed to the works of master builder and architect Jonathon Goldsmith. Goldsmith is known for his simple, yet elegant craftsmanship and architectural designs, especially the unique . . . — — Map (db m122793) HM
Hugh Mosher was the fifer portrayed in Archibald Willard's "Spirit of '76", one of America"s most famous patriotic paintings. Mosher was born on January 29, 1819 in Perry, Lake County (then part of Geauga County), Ohio. He served as Fifer Major in . . . — — Map (db m122810) HM
First known as the Webster House, later as the New England House, and finally as the Old Tavern, this inn has served travelers on the old Cleveland-Buffalo Road (now State Route 84) since before Ohio became a state. As traffic on the old Indian . . . — — Map (db m122813) HM
Dedicated in honor of Wickliffe citizens Harry and May Allen Coulby. Coulby Park is part of the original Coulby estate called Coulallenby. Harry C. Coulby (1865–1929) was known as Czar of the “Great Lakes,” was a partner in a . . . — — Map (db m134106) HM
Henry Kelsey Devereux was born into an
aristocratic family on October 10, 1860 in Cleveland,
Ohio. Ohio artist, Archibald Willard, chose Harry,
as he was fondly known, to portray the drummer
boy in one of America’s most famous . . . — — Map (db m134111) HM
The Village of Willoughby
by the surviving members
of A.Y. Austin Post G.A.R.
Aug 17, 1900
Thos. Cox • F. Hardaker
W.H. Cowan • J.O. Humphrey
Thos. Dodd • C.W. Holmes
C.J. Davis • S.F. Hills
J.S. Ellen • J. Nodine . . . — — Map (db m49143) HM
In memory of all paratroopers and gliderman [sic] who spearheaded all major invasions, dropping behind enemy lines to secure military objectives. We pay tribute to all airborne forces that stand ready to protect our freedom.
"We salue these . . . — — Map (db m49151) WM
Cora Gaines Carrel was the first woman to serve on
council in the state of Ohio. Appointed by Mayor Josiah Jordan when the 19th amendmemt to the U.S. Constitution gave women the
right to vote, Carrel pioneered city planning and
ordinances . . . — — Map (db m134091) WM
This tablet commemorates four institutions of learning previously occupying this site. The Willoughby Medical College was founded in 1834 and closed in 1846. The building was then remodeled and used by the Willoughby Female Seminary from 1847 until . . . — — Map (db m49150) HM
Side A: The Willoughby University of Lake Erie, Medical College, 1834-1847
The village of Chagrin, founded in 1798, changed its name in 1834 to honor Dr. Westel Willoughby, a pioneer medical educator. That same year, the Willoughby University . . . — — Map (db m43750) HM
This single lane Pleasant Valley Road Bridge was constructed in 1881
by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, and is a 163
foot-long Whipple Truss double intersection Pratt through truss). It
replaced a wooden bridge that portaged the . . . — — Map (db m137135) HM
Following the completion of the Erie Canal from Albany to
Buffalo, New York, Lake Erie became an important link in an
all-water route for immigrants traveling from the eastern
seaboard into the Midwest. The 600-ton lake steamer G.P. . . . — — Map (db m134097) HM