Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Licking County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Alexander Devilbiss Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 21, 2006
Alexander Devilbiss Marker
Ohio (Licking County), Alexandria — Alexander Devilbiss
Erected in memory of Alexander Devilbiss by the Citizens of Alexandria to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the platting of this village April 1830. Alexander Devilbiss was born in Frederick County, Md., January 18th 1780; moved to Licking . . . — Map (db m676) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Alexandria — William Mears Dawes Gristmill
This grindstone from the farm of William Mears Dawes Gristmill built 1840 on Raccoon Creek one mile west. Stone quarried by Ephraim Cutler on Ohio River, brought here on steamboat and cart by Henry Dawes, grandfather of Beman Gates Dawes, . . . — Map (db m16710) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Alexandria — 19-45 — Willoughby Dayton Miller
1853–1907. Born in Alexandria in 1853, Willoughby Dayton Miller received his primary education in a nearby one-room schoolhouse. He graduated from the University of Michigan in 1875 and then studied in Edinburgh, Scotland. Later, he traveled . . . — Map (db m675) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Amsterdam — Fairmount Cemetery Veterans Memorial
In Memory of All of Our Veterans — Map (db m13381) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Buckeye Lake — 13-45 — Buckeye Lake
[Marker Front]: Formed by the retreating glacier more than 14,000 years ago, Buckeye Lake first existed as a shallow, swampy pond, named "Buffalo Swamp" by Ohio Company explorer Christopher Gist in 1751. Beginning in 1826 the State . . . — Map (db m12959) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Buckeye Lake — Buckeye Lake Amusement Park — -- the Playground of Ohio
How It All Started In 1894, the Ohio General Assembly declared Licking Reservoir a public park by the name of Buckeye Lake. In 1904, the Columbus, Buckeye Lake and Newark Traction Company's Interurban Electric Railway was completed. Joining . . . — Map (db m12962) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Buckeye Lake — 12-45 — Buckeye Lake Park — “The Playground of Ohio”
[Marker Front]: Using a four-mile long dam, the state of Ohio impounded the Licking Summit Reservoir in the mid-1820s to supply water for the Ohio and Erie Canal. In 1894, the state renamed it Buckeye Lake and developed it for recreational . . . — Map (db m12960) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Croton Post Office — Hartford Township Veterans Memorial — Licking County Bicentennial Historical Marker — 1808 - 2008
Hartford Township Established in 1819 Dedicates this marker to Our Veterans Marker sponsored by The Licking County Veteran’s Service Commission A Licking County Historical Society initiative 2008 — Map (db m108928) WM
Ohio (Licking County), Croton Post Office — Hartford Village Civil War Column — Marble Obelisk on the Village Green
West side James Wheelock 2nd Lieut. Co. F 113 Regt. O.V.I. killed at Chickamuga Ga. Sept. 1863

Stewart J. Ogilive Corp. Co. F 113 Regt. O.V.I. killed at Chickamauga Ga. Sept. 20, 1863

August McComb, Co. F 113 Regt. O.V.I. . . . — Map (db m108927) WM

Ohio (Licking County), Etna — Etna — The Historic National Road in Ohio
Etna Township was formed from Harrison and Lima Townships in 1833. The village of Etna lies in the middle of the township from which it derives its name. Etna was laid out by Lyman Turrill, formerly from Vermont, in 1832 with lots selling for $3.00 . . . — Map (db m97467) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Glenford — 16-45 — Flint Ridge
For more than 10,000 years, Flint Ridge was one of the most important flint quarries in eastern North America. The flint formed at the bottom of a shallow ocean 300 million years ago. The softer rocks surrounding the flint have washed away, leaving . . . — Map (db m12949) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Glenford — Flint Ridge
Flint Ridge is a chain of long, narrow hills extending from a few miles east of Newark almost to Zanesville, a distance of more than twenty miles. The surface of these hills is underlain with an irregular layer of flint, which may be only a few . . . — Map (db m12958) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Glenford — The Gilbert W. Dilley Museum at Flint Ridge
This facility recognizes Gilbert W. Dilley (1902-1996), a life-long student of Ohio history; an avid collector of Ohio Indian artifacts; a long standing trustee, past president, and generous benefactor of the Ohio Historical Society; and a true . . . — Map (db m12950) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 8-45 — "Alligator" Mound
On this bluff lies one of the two great animal effigy mounds built by Ohio's prehistoric people. Shown here, Alligator Mound is a giant earthen sculpture of some four-footed animal with a long, curving tail. Archaeologists believe the animal is . . . — Map (db m17482) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 25-45 — An Early Center of Education / Educating Young Women
Side A An Early Center of Education Just three weeks after reaching Granville, pioneer villagers decided on December 9, 1805 to build a log cabin where eighty children would attend school. By 1820, public school classes were being . . . — Map (db m94593) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 7-45 — Bank of the Alexandrian Society
Built by William Stedman in 1816 of local stone, this building served as the Bank of the Alexandrian Society, which printed its own currency. The bank failed in 1817 and 1837. This building has also been used as a store, post office, and inter-urban . . . — Map (db m125) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — Bolen Memorial Park
Dedicated to the memory of Harry David Bolen 1892 - 1976 He loved life.... He loved people.... He gave of himself that others might enjoy life.... — Map (db m12609) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 23-45 — Founding of Granville, The Licking Company / The Granville Site "The most eligible part"
Founding of Granville The Licking Company In 1804 a group of neighbors in Granville, Massachusetts and Granby, Connecticut formed The Licking Company for the purpose of moving to "Newlands" in Ohio. Inspired and informed by the settlement of . . . — Map (db m12607) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — Granville
A planned village and early center of education founded by New Englanders in 1805 — Map (db m12602) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — Granville Opera House
The Granville Opera House stood on this site for one hundred years. Built as a Baptist church in 1849, the building was moved here in 1882. On April 7, 1982, it was destroyed by fire. This bell from the church tower was first rung on Sunday June . . . — Map (db m12608) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 10-45 — Major General Charles Griffin
Located 100 yards southeast of this marker is the boyhood home of Major General Charles Griffin. Born in 1825, he graduated from West Point in 1847 and rose to prominence during the Civil War. Griffin fought in most of the major engagements of the . . . — Map (db m688) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 21-45 — Old Colony Burying Ground, 1805
Granville, Ohio, was settled in 1805 by the Licking Company, a group formed in Granville, Massachusetts, and Granby Connecticut, for the purpose of emigrating west. The Old Colony Burying Ground was defined on the first town plat of Granville in . . . — Map (db m757) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 25-45 — The Elias Gilman House / The Wee White House
Side A The Elias Gilman House The original structure, the central portion of the current house, is the oldest frame building in the village. It was built in 1808 by Elias Gilman, a prominent figure from Granville Massachusetts, who . . . — Map (db m94592) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 9-45 — The Granville Academy / The Anti-Slavery Movement
The Granville Academy The Granville Congregational Church erected this building in 1833 for its Female Academy and a church meeting room. The school prospered and, in 1837, moved to make way for the Granville Male Academy. The Welsh . . . — Map (db m12604) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — 4-45 — The Robbins Hunter Museum Avery-Downer House
Built in 1842 in the Greek Revival Architectural Style for Alfred Avery from designs by Minard Lefever, the house subsequently served as a home for the Spelman (1845-1873), Downer and Cole families (1873-1902). The Phi Gamma Delta (1902-1930) and . . . — Map (db m126) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — The Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad
The path lies on the rail bed of the Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad, the first railroad constructed through this region in 1877. Primarily a coal hauling line from the mines of the Ohio River valley to northwest Ohio, the T & OC also offered the . . . — Map (db m758) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Granville — This Fraternity House
This fraternity house, built in 1930, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Mu Chapter of Sigma Chi. Chartered March 2, 1868. — Map (db m301) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Heath — 2-45 — Ohio Canal Ground-Breaking
At this site on July 4, 1825, Governor DeWitt Clinton of New York turned the first shovelful of dirt for the Ohio Canal. The ceremony was attended by area citizens of Master Masons. In the early 1840’s James A. Garfield, who was to become the . . . — Map (db m2377) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — 1-45 — Hebron
Located at the crossing of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, Hebron was a favored commercial and agricultural center for Licking County in the nineteenth century. Only four miles north of the city Governor DeWitt Clinton of New York . . . — Map (db m13878) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — Hebron — The Historic National Road in Ohio — Transportation Crossroad
Where the Water Met the Road While the citizens of St. Clairsville, in eastern Ohio, celebrated the groundbreaking for the National Road on July 4, 1825, construction began on the Ohio & Erie Canal on the same day at Licking Summit (now . . . — Map (db m97542) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — Hebron Mill — The Historic National Road in Ohio
The village of Hebron lost its first mill to a fire in 1881. By the mid 1880’s, a new mill took its place and continued operation into the 1990’s, making it the longest running business in Hebron. by 1891, the Hebron Mill converted from water power . . . — Map (db m97543) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — Hebron Milling Company
The Hebron Milling Company building was built in 1880 where the National Trail (Route 40) and the Ohio Canal crossed in the village of Hebron. The building sat on the edge of the “turning basin” in the village, where canal boats docked . . . — Map (db m13879) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — Hebron Veterans Memorial
In memory of all of our veterans — Map (db m12941) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Homer — Homer Veterans Memorial
To Honor those Who served our Country in war and peace. Metal badges representing Veteran's organizations from the various wars are displayed around the marker.Map (db m12722) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Homer — 11-45 — Major General William Starke Rosecrans / Bishop Sylvester Horton Rosecrans
Major General William Starke RosecransSoldier, engineer, and statesman, W.S. Rosecrans was born in Delaware County in 1819 and grew up in Homer. He graduated from West Point in 1842. During the Civil War, Rosecrans commanded the federal Army of . . . — Map (db m12712) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Homer — 5-45 — Victoria Claflin-Woodhull-Martin / First Woman Candidate for President of the United States
Victoria Claflin-Woodhull-Martin Born in Homer in 1838, Victoria Claflin proved to be a woman with visions that exceeded her time. Victoria and her sister Tennessee, in 1870, became the first women stockbrokers in the country. Her opinions . . . — Map (db m12713) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Jacksontown — 3-45 — Beard-Green Cemetery in the Dawes Arboretum
Spring, 1800, Benjamin Green and family become the first legal settlers in Licking County, followed by the Stadden family; Col. John Stadden marries Elizabeth Green on Christmas Day. Spring, 1801, clearings cut for cabins on Hog Run; Johnny . . . — Map (db m13132) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Jacksontown — Dawes Arboretum Hedge
“Dawes Arboretum” Hedge Lettering, 2,040 ft. planted 1930 & 40; replanted 1990 & 91 The Dawes Arboretum These evergreens forming the word “Dawes” were planted by and dedicated to Volunteers of the Dawes . . . — Map (db m13133) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Jacksontown — Licking Township Fallen Firemen
In Memory of Fallen Firemen — Map (db m12940) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Johnstown — 17-45 — Johnstown Cemetery / War Veterans
Side A: Johnstown Cemetery In 1810, Dr. Oliver Bigelow from Cayuga County, New York, purchased a 4,000-acre tract of land in Monroe Township from John Brown of Boone County, Kentucky, for the sum of $10,000. President John Adams had . . . — Map (db m16711) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Johnstown — Johnstown Cemetery Revolutionary War Soldiers
. . . — Map (db m25579) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Johnstown — VFW Post 3097 Veterans Memorial
Remembering all veterans and their unfailing love of country; loyalty to its institutions and ideals; eagerness to defend it against all enemies; undivided allegiance to the flag; and a desire to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and . . . — Map (db m25529) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Kirkersville — Kirkersville — The Impact of the Interurban — The Historic National Road in Ohio
As a small “pike” town on the National Road, Kirkersville experienced the evolution of transportation from the days of horse and wagon to the automobile. It was the advent of the interurban that not only brought another mode of transit . . . — Map (db m97514) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Kirkersville — Mile Markers — Kirkersville — One of Several Identical Markers
The Act of Congress in 1806 which authorized the construction of the National Road required that mile markers be placed at regular intervals. These reference points reassured travelers that they were following the correct route. They also indicated . . . — Map (db m97516) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence
This "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence was installed around the home of Judge Jerome Buckingham at 70 North Third Street in about 1835. It was generously given by Dennis Crowley, a retired Newark fireman, to J. Gilbert Reese and James W. Pyle . . . — Map (db m97314) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 18-45 — A. H. Heisey Glass
The A.H. Heisey & Co. produced high quality, hand-wrought glass in Newark, Ohio beginning in 1896. Glass originally produced by pressing was intended to simulate cut glass making elegant glass affordable to more families. Heisey was an innovator in . . . — Map (db m12561) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients — State of Ohio, Licking County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio, Licking County Civil War Hanna, Milton              Sergeant         Tennessee      1863 Inscho, Leonidas H.     1st Lt             Maryland        1862 . . . — Map (db m12876) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 22-45 — Early Transportation in Newark
During the 1830s, the Ohio & Erie Canal was built through Newark. The Lockmaster's House was home to the lockmaster of Lock #9. In 1852, the first railroad locomotive steamed into Newark, signaling the beginning of the end for the canal. By 1871, . . . — Map (db m12582) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Great Circle Earthworks
The Great Circle Earthworks, one remnant of the largest complex of geometric earthen enclosures ever built. The Newark Earthworks, situated on a high terrace between the South Fork of the Licking River and Raccoon Creek, once covered more than four . . . — Map (db m689) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — John L. Clem — 1851-1937
Considered the youngest ever to serve, Clem ran away from home at the age of 9 yrs. and 10 mos. to join the Union Army. At Snodgrass Hill, as a drummer boy in Co. “C” 22nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry, he won the sobriquet "The Drummer . . . — Map (db m12579) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 14-45 — John Sparks — Trail Blazer and Frontiersman
As a private in the infantry of the 1st United States Regiment, and during the years 1805 to 1807, John Sparks (1758-1846) acted as guide, scout, and hunter for the two expeditions of Zebulon Pike, which helped to open up largely unknown areas in . . . — Map (db m12875) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — McCune-Stimson House
The present house was built in 1869 by Dixon Brown, a Somerset, Ohio merchant, as a wedding present for his daughter, Ella Brown McCune. The second owner, Melville O. Baker, occupied the house from 1879-1893, when Mr. Baker moved to . . . — Map (db m97336) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Octagon Earthworks
A Wonder of the World These walls were once the center of an ancient civilization. The Octagon Earthworks, like a modern cathedral or county fairgrounds, were a focal point for the social and religious activities of the Hopewell people about . . . — Map (db m17487) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building
On this site in 1894, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building was erected to honor those from Licking County who died in the Civil War. The original building facade was destroyed by fire in 1968. The building also housed the Auditorium Theater, . . . — Map (db m97335) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building
County Commissioner 1969-1996 Dedicated November 16, 1996 — Map (db m12879) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 6-45 — The History of Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark's first hospital opened on this site in January 1898. In 1906, the building was moved to 22 Wyoming and attached to an existing structure, creating a 22-bed hospital. In December 1914, a new hospital opened at the corners of Everett and Buena . . . — Map (db m12874) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The John W. Alford Building — 21 South First Street
The Park National Bank dedicates this building to John W. Alford His leadership, judgement, dedication and integrity have been of inestimable value to this bank and this community for 50 years — Map (db m12512) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The Newark Earthworks
The Newark Earthworks is truly one of the most magnificent prehistoric Indian sites in the eastern United States. Covering an area two miles square, it once was the largest earthworks complex in Ohio. the main components of the site are the large . . . — Map (db m640) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The Observatory Mound
The form of this mound is unique among all the known Hopewellian mounds. Some 19th century archaeologists thought that the builders had planned to extend a set of parallel walls from the circle, bu thene changed their minds and blocked off the stubs . . . — Map (db m18101) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Veteran's Park
Dedicated as a lasting tribute to the men and women of Newark who served and died in honor of their country. This memorial is dedicated in sincere tribute to those men and women of Newark who served and died in all wars. “The freedom of a . . . — Map (db m12563) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Wright Earthworks
Ancient Architecture Now Lost The two earthen walls before you are remnants of one of the wonders of the ancient world. They were part of the Newark Earthworks, the largest set of geometric enclosures ever built. Much like a modern cathedral . . . — Map (db m17485) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Outville — 15-45 — Outville
Arriving in 1853, the Central Ohio Railroad called this place “Kirkersville Station,” and it was later changed by stationmaster James Outcalt, who renamed the town Outville after himself. As rail traffic increased in Ohio, a successor . . . — Map (db m16712) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Pataskala — 20-45 — Conine Homestead
Born in New Jersey, Richard and Sarah Conine, the founders of the village of Pataskala, moved to Lima Township and lived on this site as early as 1821 when Richard established a grist mill nearby. Their homestead also served as a stagecoach stop on . . . — Map (db m13876) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Pataskala — 24-45 — Pataskala Elementary School
The first school in what is now Pataskala was a “subscription school” operated by Amariah Cubberly on the nearby banks of the South Fork of the Licking River in the 1820s. Subscription schools, which charged fees, were the forerunners of . . . — Map (db m13880) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Pataskala — Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3496 Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to Veterans of All U.S.A. Wars November 11, 1993 "For history does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" Dwight Eisenhower Dedicated Nov. 11, 2009 — Map (db m35293) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Thornville — Eagle’s Nest
Old National Road, built 1825, rebuilt 1914 through the efforts of James M. Cox, Governor of Ohio. Columbus 39 ms. Cumberland 720 ms. — Map (db m274) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Thornville — Eagles Nest — The Historic National Road in Ohio
For nearly fifty years prior to 1914, almost no maintenance had been carried out on “the pike”, the National Road. By the early 20th century, bicyclists, automobile owners, postal service, and the trucking industry were demanding better . . . — Map (db m98521) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Utica — "Ye Olde Mill" — Built in 1817
This grist mill erected by an early settler, Clarence McKnight, was one of the largest on the frontier. The entire mill was powered by an overshot water wheel. The existing 2,000 pound water wheel is 18 feet in diameter. Restoration began in . . . — Map (db m19869) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Utica — Ice Harvesting
During the 18th century ice cream was a rarity and considered a dish of the very wealthy. This was because ice was difficult to come by until the widespread use of “ice harvesting” and the insulated icehouse. Then the number of . . . — Map (db m19870) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Utica — The Hufford House
Long time residence of S. Dwight and Ethel Jewett Donated to Utica Historical Society for use as a meeting place and museum by the family of Ned B. Hufford, Utica resident and businessman who died December 12, 1993 June, 1997 — Map (db m13855) HM

70 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement