Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mahoning County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Forest Glen Estates Historic District Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2011
Forest Glen Estates Historic District Marker
Ohio (Mahoning County), Boardman — 4-50 — Forest Glen Estates Historic District
Youngstown's earliest automobile suburb, Forest Glen Estates was developed in the 1920s during a period of change in urban transportation patterns and rapid expansion in the regional steel economy. A composite of design work by leading northeastern . . . — Map (db m43859) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Boardman — Freedom Over Slavery
Dedicated to all who chose freedom over slavery [Dedicated] May 1978 — Map (db m44239) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Boardman — 18-50 — Newport Village Historic District
Situated in the township of Boardman and developed in the 1920s, Newport Village was one of Youngstown's earliest automobile accessible suburban developments. The twenty four and a half acre district is comprised of Jennette Drive, Chester Drive, . . . — Map (db m43805) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Boardman — Road of Remembrance
Mahoning Chapter D.A.R. places this memorial to honor the defenders of our country — Map (db m44237) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Boardman — 12-50 — Southern Park Stables
Southern Park Stables, at 126 Washington Boulevard in Boardman, was the private training stable of Attorney David Arrel and was built circa 1912 to house his standardbred horses racing at Southern Park Trotting Track one block south. The Stables is . . . — Map (db m43755) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Boardman — 6-50 — St. James Episcopal Church
The first home of the oldest Episcopal parish in the Connecticut Western Reserve, the St. James Episcopal Church was built between 1827 and 1828. Philander Chase, first Bishop of the Diocese of Ohio, consecrated it in 1829. The belfry and steeple . . . — Map (db m43756) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 28-50 — Canfield Cemetery
(side A) For more than two centuries, this burial ground has been a final resting place for those individuals whose lives represented the community history of Canfield. The earliest existing tombstone marks the death of Huldah Tanner in . . . — Map (db m41206) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 22-50 — Canfield Christian Church
(side A) The Canfield Christian Church began as a Baptist congregation in 1822 and church met for worship in William Dean's home. The Mahoning Baptist Association Meeting of 1826 was held in David Hayes barn. In 1827, Walter Scott was asked . . . — Map (db m41223) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 19-50 — Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church
(side A) Canfield Congregational Church On this site, the Canfield Congregational Church, the first church in Canfield village, was built in 1822. The congregation was organized in 1804 by Joseph Badger and Thomas Robbins, both . . . — Map (db m41227) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 29-50 — Canfield Fair
Side A: In 1846, the same year that Mahoning County was created, Ohio's General Assembly passed an act "for the encouragement of agriculture." An outgrowth of this legislation led to the founding of the Mahoning County Agricultural Society . . . — Map (db m65437) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 21-50 — Canfield Green
(side A) Canfield, named for the area's primary landowner Judson Canfield, is one of the earliest examples of a New England town plan in both Ohio and the Western Reserve. It dates to April 20, 1798, when surveyor Nathaniel Church arrived . . . — Map (db m41224) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 25-50 — Canfield Township Hall
The Canfield Township Hall was erected in 1884. It served as the first public building in which the Canfield citizens could conduct town business, elections, and public meetings. An example of Renaissance Revival or “Italianate” . . . — Map (db m41225) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 20-50 — Canfield War Vet Museum
The Canfield War Vet Museum was chartered in 1988 by American Legion Post 177 and Ladies Auxiliary to collect and preserve items and history from American wars. The building that houses the museum was built in 1809 by Comfort S. Mygatt, a . . . — Map (db m41228) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 23-50 — Canfield WPA Memorial Building
(side A) The Canfield WPA Memorial Building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration, a federal government program instituted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as an effort to aid the United States in its recovery from the . . . — Map (db m41229) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 30-50 — Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site
Side A: In 1827, noted evangelist Walter Scott came to Canfield and visited with a number of area Baptist families living on Palmyra Road and in the vicinity of Dean Hill. A follower of Alexander Campbell, Scott delivered powerful sermons . . . — Map (db m65434) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 31-50 — Elisha Whittlesey
Side A: On this site stood the home of Elisha and Polly Mygatt Whittlesey and their ten children. Also here was his law office and a records office that was moved in 1965 to Pioneer Village at the Canfield Fairgrounds. Already an attorney in . . . — Map (db m65433) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 13-50 — Old Mahoning County Courthouse
(side A) Mahoning County was created in 1846 by combining townships from southern Trumbull and northern Columbiana counties. Canfield engaged in competition with several surrounding communities for the new county seat, and its success was . . . — Map (db m41232) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 5-50 — The Independent Order of Odd FellowsCanfield Lodge Number 155
(side A) The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) traces its origins to mid-18th-century England, where it served as a mutual benefit society for traveling workmen. Odd Fellowship moved to the United States in 1819; the first Ohio lodge . . . — Map (db m41230) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 24-50 — The Mahoning Dispatch Building
For ninety-one years, The Mahoning Dispatch served Canfield and the surrounding communities, earning the distinction of being the oldest continuously published newspaper owned by a single family in Mahoning County. The first edition of the . . . — Map (db m41231) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — This Tablet Placed Here in Honor of William H. Kilcawley
Member of the Mahoning County Agricultural Society 1945-1958 Director and Treasurer This stone is a glacial boulder transported by the continental ice sheet and deposited when the ice melted about 1000 feet east of this spot. Since it was . . . — Map (db m65435) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 14-50 — Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard
Settlers from Connecticut were the first to come to Canfield Township in the late 1700s, and they were followed by a second wave of immigrants, Swiss-German pioneers who began arriving from Berks and Leigh counties in Pennsylvania in 1804. In 1810, . . . — Map (db m65431) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Damascus — Damascus Grade School Museum
This school building built in 1902 has been placed on the National Registry of Historic Places by the US Department of the Interior 21 Sept 1989 — Map (db m78941) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Damascus — 2-50 — Ervin George Bailey1880 ~1974
Ervin George Bailey, who was born in Damascus, Ohio, invented the revolutionary "Bailey Boiler Meter," a major contribution to the science of automation and the efficient burning of fuels. In 1916, he founded the Bailey Meter Company of Wickliffe, . . . — Map (db m73216) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Damascus — 7-50 — Friends Burying Grounds(1807-1843)
The Friends Burying Grounds, once located here on Lot 17 in the Village of Damascus, is the oldest cemetery in Butler Township, Columbiana County. Expansion of the Friends Church necessitated the re-location of the Friends Burying Grounds. No . . . — Map (db m78942) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Damascus — 8-50 — Lot 17, Friends Burying Grounds
On this site are re-interred 118 exhumed remains from Lot 17, Friends Burying Grounds, adjacent to Damascus Friends Church on Walnut Street. Among those re-interred here are: Catlit Jones, a scout with Quaker Daniel Boone in Kentucky, a captain in . . . — Map (db m78943) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), New Middletown — The Western ReserveSoutheast Boundary — One of a Series of Four
(replacement plaque) Western Reserve Boundary Marker Southeast corner of the original Western Reserve first marker was placed on July 23rd, 1796 where this monument now stands restoration by Troop 46 B.S.A. 1977- 1989 restoration . . . — Map (db m94718) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — Four Heroic Chaplains
Honoring the Four Heroic Chaplains who gave their life jackets that four soldiers might live. The S.S. Dorchester was torpedoed February 3, 1943. As it sank, the four were seen linked arm in arm, heads uplifted in prayer. Lt. G. . . . — Map (db m44225) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — 1-50 — Judge Turhand Kirtland1755 - 1844
Born at Wallingford, Connecticut. Served during the Revolutionary War. Proprietor, Agent, and Surveyor of the Connecticut Land Company. Appointed Judge of Trumbull County by Territorial Governor Arthur St. Clair, 1800. State Senator, Trumbull . . . — Map (db m43802) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — Old Cemetery
The land for this cemetery was given to Poland in the year 1804 by Turhand Kirtland who came from Wallingford, Connecticut. As agent for the Connecticut Land Company he surveyed much of this Western Reserve territory. In his grant he also included . . . — Map (db m44227) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — Peterson Park and Clock Tower
Town One Streetscapes Town One Streetscapes is a not-for-profit corporation formed August 9, 1997, whose main goal is to assist Poland Village and Poland Township in improving the curb appeal of their main roads through the installation of . . . — Map (db m44183) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — 17-50 — Poland Academy and Poland Seminary
Poland Academy, an elite private school, was established on this site in 1830 and in 1859 graduated its most notable student William McKinley, who became the 25th president of the United States. In 1862, the school changed its name to Poland . . . — Map (db m43799) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — Poland Village HallBuilding History
This building was built in 1923 as the Poland Village Hall, and originally housed the Village Fire and Police Departments. The Poland Library was located on the second floor in the 1950's. In 1964, the Village offices and Police Department were . . . — Map (db m44187) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — 35-50 — President William McKinley's Boyhood Home
William McKinley’s boyhood home once stood here. The McKinley family moved to Poland in 1852 when William was nine to send the children to its superior schools. William was a diligent student at the Poland Academy, and passed his time playing sports . . . — Map (db m77091) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — The History of Poland
Poland was first known as Fowler's Place after Jonathan Fowler and his family who were the first permanent settlers on the banks of Yellow Creek. For years after the Revolutionary War, all over the new United States, there was a feeling of . . . — Map (db m44182) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — The Little Red School House
Built in 1858 Originally Poland Center School has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m77095) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — 27-50 — The Old Stone Tavern
Built in 1804 by Jonathan Fowler, one of the founders of Poland Village, this structure served as his family home, general store, tavern and a hotel all at the same time. It became an important stagecoach stop on the main highway between Pittsburgh . . . — Map (db m43797) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Poland — 40-50 — The Village Green and Graveyard/Poland Presbyterian Church
Side 1 The Village Green and Graveyard In 1798, Judge Turhand Kirtland came to Township 1, Range 1 as an agent of the Connecticut Land Company. In 1804, Kirtland donated the Village Green and the graveyard adjoining the church to the . . . — Map (db m77090) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Struthers — 9-50 — Hopewell Furnace
The Hopewell Furnace, constructed by Daniel and James Eaton in 1802, began operation in 1803. This blast furnace, the first in Ohio and one of the first west of the Allegheny Mountains, marked the beginning of the iron and steel industry in the . . . — Map (db m79502) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Struthers — Struthers Presbyterian Church1884-1911
This foundation stone is from the third church building of the United Presbyterian Church congregation, which was moved to Struthers from Poland Center in 1884, and reconstructed on land donated by Thomas Struthers. The building was located just . . . — Map (db m79504) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 1959-1975 The Vietnam War
1959-1975 The Vietnam War This memorial is dedicated by the people of Mahoning County to honor forever those who served, those who gave their lives, and those who remain missing in action. As we walk away at peace the healing has begun and now we . . . — Map (db m107684) WM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 38-50 — Central Tower / Mahoning National Bank Building
Central Tower One of northeast Ohio's finest Art Deco examples, the 17-story Central Tower was designed by Morris W. Scheibel (1887-1976) for Central Savings & Loan in 1929. Scheibel's use of stepped-back upper floors, an Egyptian-inspired . . . — Map (db m107688) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 39-50 — Civil War Soldiers' Monument / Realty Building
Civil War Soldiers' Monument The figure atop the Soldiers' Monument has looked over Youngstown's Central Square since 1870. Ohio Governor David Tod began campaigning for a monument for Youngstown's fallen soldiers even before the Civil War ended. . . . — Map (db m107806) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 32-50 — Crandall ParkFifth Avenue Historic District
Side A Crandall Park is the heart of the historic district and includes Fifth Avenue, Redondo Road, Catalina Avenue, and Tod Lane. Most of the district’s historic structures were built between 1904 and 1930, Youngstown’s heyday as an urban . . . — Map (db m79490) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 33-50 — Harry Burt and Good Humor / Ross Radio Company
Side A Harry Burt and Good Humor Harry B. Burt (1874-1926) came to Youngstown in 1893 and began making and selling penny candy. He expanded his business with high quality candies, chocolates, and ice cream. Around 1920 Burt invented a . . . — Map (db m79492) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — In Memory of the Heroes of the Township
[front] Antietam Chickamauga The heroic dead of Youngstown township killed in battle or died from disease contracted in the army, 1861 – 1865. 1st infantry division Army of Virginia, Surgeon in Chief Thomas J. Shannon, Cedar Creek, . . . — Map (db m108899) WM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 0-50 — Little Steel Strike
On May 26, 1937, President Philip Murray of the Steel Workers Committee (SWOC) ordered a national walkout against three of the "Little Steel" companies. Two companies, Republic and Youngstown Sheet & Tube, operated major facilities in Ohio. The . . . — Map (db m79493) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 16-50 — Oscar D. Boggess Homestead / Boggess Quarry
Side A: Oscar D. Boggess Homestead Oscar D. Boggess (1832-1907) was born in Virginia, the son of a slave and her master. He and his family were granted freedom in the will of his father and master. The will was contested up to the United . . . — Map (db m43861) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 11-50 — Pioneer Pavilion / Mill Creek Furnace
Side A Pioneer Pavilion Pioneer Pavilion, one of the oldest structures in Youngstown, is a rare surviving example of early nineteenth-century industry. James Heaton constructed this sandstone building in 1821 as a mill for carding and . . . — Map (db m79495) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 26-50 — St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel
St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel was founded by Lenora Evans Berry, an African American woman, in 1907. A lifelong Baptist, her mission was the development of the Episcopal Church for African Americans in Youngstown. Mrs. Berry's husband, bricklayer . . . — Map (db m79496) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 34-50 — St. Elizabeth Hospital
The Sisters of the Humility of Mary, who came here from France in 1864, opened St. Elizabeth Hospital on this site in the former Fitch House on December 8, 1911. St. Elizabeth Hospital has cared for all, regardless of ability to pay, and devoted . . . — Map (db m79499) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — The First Log School
Bicentennial 1776 ★ July 4 ★ 1976 The first log school in Mahoning County 1803 — Map (db m107689) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 37-50 — Union National Bank Building / Central Square (1798-1899)
Union National Bank Building The First National Bank erected the present building in 1926 during a period of great industrial and social development in the Mahoning Valley. This bank merged with the Commercial National Bank to form the Union . . . — Map (db m107686) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 10-50 — Warner Brothers
The Warner Brothers - Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack - were members of a Jewish immigrant family from Poland that settled in Youngstown in the mid-1890s. The brothers attended local schools and worked in their father's shoe repair shop and meat market . . . — Map (db m79500) HM

53 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement