Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mercer County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Carthagena Black Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Baker
Carthagena Black Cemetery Marker
Ohio (Mercer County), Carthagena — 5-54 — Carthagena Black Cemetery
The Carthagena Black Cemetery (Union Cemetery) is a remnant of approximately 70 documented rural black and mulatto rural settlements established throughout Ohio before the Civil War. After the Cincinnati riots against blacks in 1829, Quaker . . . — Map (db m110110) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Celina — Beaver Chapel ChurchSwamp College — Busy Little Corner, in the Middle of Nowhere —
This bell was used by Beaver Chapel Church from 1908 - 1985 placed here September 2012 in honor of our 125 year anniversary — Map (db m83280) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Celina — Grand Lake St. Marys SpillwayMercer County Reservoir — Miami and Erie Canal Feeder —
Grand Lake St. Marys was constructed between 1837 and 1845 as a feeder reservoir for the Miami and Erie Canal. The reservoir provided a constant source of water for the canal through a feeder canal located at the eastern embankment of the lake. . . . — Map (db m83247) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Celina — Swamp College Veterans MemorialObscure Marker in an Obscure Location — A Bi-Centennial Marker —
For God and country we have served for peace (5 logos) Veterans Memorial donated by Celina Post 120 & Coldwater Post 470 dedicated July 4, 1976 — Map (db m83305) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Celina — 3-54 — The Riley Home
[Main Marker Front]: The museum of the Mercer County Historical Society, the Riley Home, represents six generations of the Riley family in the county. The first Riley to arrive here was Captain James Riley, who surveyed the area in 1819, . . . — Map (db m12294) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 6 — American Indian Strategy: Use of the Landscape
Bottom panel of text: You are looking towards the high ground and ridge where an estimated 1,400 American Indian warriors assembled in a crescent formation before attacking St. Clair's army. The American Indian alliance consisted of . . . — Map (db m137438) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — American Indian Tribes
The American Indian tribes living in this region at the time of the Indian wars were not originally from the area. The Delaware had been pushed westward into this region by the expansion of European settlement in the eastern United States. . . . — Map (db m136941) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Battle of Fort RecoveryAnthony Wayne Parkway
In 1793, Gen. Mad Anthony Wayne led a third expedition against the Indians. On this site where St. Clair met defeat, he built a post significantly named Fort Recovery, Dec. 23-26, 1793. Here was won the Battle of Fort Recovery, the most signal . . . — Map (db m19847) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 10 — Battle of Fort Recovery
"Musketballs were heard continually striking against the pickets and logs of the blockhouses, and whizzlng over the heads of those in the garrison." Isaac Paxton of Captain Alexander Gibson's rifle company On June 29, 1794, . . . — Map (db m137493) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 3 — Battle of the Wabash
Although Brigadier General Harmar's campaign was considered a victory for the American Indians, it devastated their homelands. Harmar's troops burned five Shawnee, Miami, and Delaware villages along the Maumee river and destroyed over 20,000 bushels . . . — Map (db m137373) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 9 — Building Fort Recovery
As a direct result of the Battle of the Wabash, the Legion of the United States was formed in 1792 with Major General Anthony Wayne appointed as the Commanding General. In 1793, Wayne led a third U.S. military campaign to control the Northwest . . . — Map (db m137444) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 14 — Burying the U.S. Army Dead
Pioneer Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Mercer County, with burials from 1812 to 1873. Those buried here were some of the first Euro-Americans who settled the area. Many of these families helped lay out the town of Fort Recovery, established . . . — Map (db m137521) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Dr. Victor Grasson
Dr. Victor Grasson, a hero of the Indian Wars was killed while caring for the wounded during General Arthur St. Clair's defeat here, November 4, 1791. — Map (db m22688) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Fort Recovery Civil War Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Our Civil War Veterans 1861 - 1865 Erected by W.R.C. No. 338, 1935. — Map (db m80446) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Fort Recovery Monument
[West side of Monument] This monument was erected by the Congress to commemorate the valor and perpetuate the memory of the heroic soldiers who were slain in those two memorable conflicts of the North West Territory the defeat of Arthur . . . — Map (db m20355) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Gen. Richard Butler
Gen. Richard Butler was Killed by Indians beneath a tree which stood on the site of this building - - - in - - - St. Clair's Defeat November 4, 1791 — Map (db m20271) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Golder Pottkotter Post Veterans Memorial
In memory of all veterans Golder Pottkotter VFW Post 6515 est. Nov. 17, 1968 flag pole dedicated June 19, 1995 VFW Post 6515 — Map (db m97306) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Green Mound Cemetery Veterans Memorial
In memory of all military personnel — Map (db m97304) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Greene Ville Treaty LineSurveyed by Israel Ludlow, 1797-1799
At this spot was found the original surveyor's stake which marked the western terminus of that part of the Greene Ville Treaty line running from near Fort Laurens, in the eastern part of the state, to Fort Recovery. From this point the line ran . . . — Map (db m20265) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 5 — Kentucky Militia Encampment
Top-Left panel of text: St. Clair's Kentucky Militia (approximately 300 men) camped in general vicinity of the shelter houses across from the Wabash River in Ambassador Park. The 1,400 warriors of the American Indian alliance assembled . . . — Map (db m137384) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 11 — Locating the Fort
"Let the ends of the blockhouses present outwards, with three embrasures in each for a small howitz. The shutters of which must be musket proof as well as the door or doors of the sally ports." --In a letter from Wayne to Burbeck (1793) . . . — Map (db m137498) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Native Cultures
About 14,000 years ago, the last glacier receded from this area. Mastodons, mammoths, and giant beavers, roamed the region. The ancestors of American Indians arrived in Ohio during this time. These Paleoindians were hunters and . . . — Map (db m136902) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — On Christmas Day 1793
On Christmas Day 1793, General Anthony Wayne detached soldiers from Greenville to construct a fort at the site of the 1791 battle. Within five days, a work force large enough to house 250 men and capable of defending against musket fire was . . . — Map (db m136923) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — On This Triangle of Land.
On this triangle of land between the rivers, Indian forces under Chiefs Little Turtle (Miami) and Blue Jacket (Shawnee)surrounded and attacked General Arthur St. Clair's troops on November 4, 1791. Of his 1,300 soldiers, well over half were . . . — Map (db m136920) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Pioneer Cemetery
Pioneer Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Mercer County and is the final resting place for many of the early pioneers who first settled in the Fort Recovery area. The large marker on this site lists the names of those buried here.

Temporary . . . — Map (db m90936) HM WM

Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 2 — Prologue to 1791
For over ten thousand years, American Indian tribes called the land east of the Mississippi River their home. The 1783 Treaty of Paris ended the American Revolutionary War with Britain ceding to the U.S. all land east of the Mississippi River, north . . . — Map (db m137372) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Samuel McDowell
Placed in 1951 in memory of Samuel McDowell 1770-1847 Soldier General St. Clair's Army 1791 General Wilkinson's Army 1792 General Wayne's Army 1793-1794 Pioneer Settler 1838 by His Descendants and the Fort Recovery Historical . . . — Map (db m90934) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Sha'anoe Warrior Monument
Beneath the white oak rests an unknown Sha'anoe warrior. To his memory and in memory of his brothers killed here in the battles at Fort Recovery we erect this monument. September 10, 1983 "Weshecatweloo Keweshelawaypa" (Let Us Always Do Good) — Map (db m90932) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Spring Hill Cemetery Veterans Memorial
In memory of all military personnel — Map (db m97305) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 4-54 — St. Clair’s Defeat / Wayne’s Victory1791 / 1794
St. Clair’s Defeat. Native Americans inhabited and used much of the land in the Ohio valley as hunting grounds. As American settlers pushed west, conflicts resulted and attempts at peaceful settlement failed. Under political pressure, President . . . — Map (db m20333) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — St. Clair's DefeatAnthony Wayne Parkway
When American pioneers attempted to settle the Northwest Territory following the Ordinance of 1787, the Indians, aided by the British fought fiercely for their homes. The first United States army sent to break the Indian resistance was commanded by . . . — Map (db m19950) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — C150 — St. Clair's Defeat / Fort Recovery
. . . — Map (db m19845) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — St. Paul Catholic Church, Sharpsburg (Zenz City) & Sharpsburg SchoolIn the “Land of Cross-Tipped Churches”
St. Paul Catholic Church Dedication: March, 1889 Architect: Anton DeCurtins (1830—1895), Carthagena, Ohio Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1979

This historic parish began in 1867 on four acres of land purchased . . . — Map (db m119415) HM

Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Strong, tall, redheaded Nance
"Strong, tall, red headed Nance clung her baby tight, and ferociously wielding her frying pan, held off the brutal Indian attackers." St. Clair Battle, 1791 — Map (db m99335) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 15 — The Battle of Fallen Timbers and the Treaty of Greeneville
Top panel of text: The final battle of the Northwest Indian War, Fallen Timbers, took place on August 20, 1794 in present-day Maumee, near Toledo, less than two months after the Battle of Fort Recovery. The American Indians'' loss in . . . — Map (db m137524) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Battle of Fort Recovery
The Battle of Fort Recovery 1794 Blockhouse Scene Donated by Many Generous Financial Donors Many In-Kind Supporters/Donors Artist Dan Keyes — Map (db m136859) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Battle of Fort Recovery
On June 30 and July 1, 1794, 200 well-trained soldiers, under the command of Captain Alexander Gibson, successfully defended this fort against the frontal, relentless attack of 2,500 Indians led by Little Turtle, Blue Jacket, and obvious . . . — Map (db m136934) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Battle of the Wabash
The Battle of the Wabash 1791 St. Clair's Defeat Donated in Memory of Bertha Sanderell Artist Dan Keyes — Map (db m136860) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 15 — The BattlefieldIt's Bigger Than You Think
Since 2010, the Applied Anthropology Laboratories (AAL), in the Department of Anthropology at Ball State University has conducted archeology research on this battlefield with funding from the National Park Service American Battlefield Protection . . . — Map (db m137526) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Franke Historical Walkway
Given in memory of Herbert J. Franke, 1911-1988, by his family and dedicated on July 25, 1993, this walkway is designed to give visitors not only a pleasant passage between Fort Recovery parks but also to give them a brief overview of the . . . — Map (db m137369) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Greeneville Treaty Boundary Line
The Greeneville Treaty established a boundary line between Indian and Federal land. This line was crossed in 1836 when the plot for the town of Recovery was laid out. David Beardslee laid out the land north; William McDaniel and David . . . — Map (db m136890) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 4 — The Old Wabash River
"On my way to the center of the camp, I met pale, frightened men running in all directions. Numerous dead bodies ..., proved that many of the Indians had been there before me." --Kentucky Militiaman Robert Branshaw You are . . . — Map (db m137381) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 8 — The Role of Women in the Battle
Imagine the scene that unfolded here on the frigid evening of November 3, 1791. St. Clair's main encampment of about 900 people was set up in a rectangle on this high ground with the Wabash River to the west, squeezed in by Buck Run to the south, . . . — Map (db m137421) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — The Wabash (Ouabache) River
The depression in the land before you is the bed of the original Wabash (Ouabache) River. (In the early 1900's, it was rerouted to its present course just west of here.) It was one of the main highways of Indian travel through the region. . . . — Map (db m136904) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 13 — Towards a Better Understanding / Remembering the Fallen
"This splendid granite shaft, handsome in its proportions; durable in its material; permanent in its foundation and pedestal, and simple in its purity and design, we now dedicate to commemorate the last resting place of those of our heroic . . . — Map (db m137514) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — VanTrees Donation
In 1990 the old Equity Dairy property adjacent to the museum was purchased with the VanTrees donation. With the support of a community united to make its 1991 bicentennial year one not to be forgotten, the VanTrees Park not only became a . . . — Map (db m137371) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Wabash River
South Side “Oubache’ was the French name for the Wabash – an Indian word meaning white. La Salle in 1669, was the first white man to explore this stream. Long it had been a link in a well- used route for red warriors and . . . — Map (db m74353) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 12 — Weaponry at the Battle of the Wabash and the Battle of Fort Recovery
"Finding no great effect from our fire, and confusion beginning to spread from the great number of men who were falling in all quarters, it became necessary to try what could be done with the bayonet." --Major General Arthur St. . . . — Map (db m137502) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — 1 — Welcome to the Fort Recovery Battlefield Walking Tour
• Welcome to the Fort Recovery Battlefield Walking Tour! The tour is approximately 1.5 miles and will help you understand the Battle of the Wabash (1791) and the Battle of Fort Recovery (1794). Tours are self-guided. For additional information on . . . — Map (db m137531) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Maria Stein — 2-54 — Maria Stein Convent and Relic Chapel
The Sisters of the Precious Blood, founded in Switzerland by Maria Anna Brunner in 1834, began their ministry of prayer and education in Mercer County here at Maria Stein (Our Lady of the Rock). Father Francis de Sales Brunner, a Missionary of the . . . — Map (db m113595) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Maria Stein — Maria Stein Veterans Memorial
(three American Legion logos) American Legion Post 571 Maria Stein Veterans Memorial Dedicated to the Veterans of all wars and or conflicts who honorably served and to those who gave their lives in the service of our country (five service . . . — Map (db m94415) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Maria Stein — St John the Baptist Catholic ChurchIn the “Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches”
Dedication: 17 November 1891 Architect: Adophus Druiding (1838- 1899), Chicago, IL Contractor: Anton DeCurtins (1829- 1895), Carthagena, OH This historic parish was organized in 1835 by a group of German immigrants, primarily from Oldenburg, . . . — Map (db m113278) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Maria Stein — St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell
This twenty-two inch bell was crafted out of cast iron in 1892 by C.S.Bell&Co. The bell was placed in the St. Rose Schoolhouse east of the church, where it spent its life in a cupola until its removal in 2014. for many years, this piece of finely . . . — Map (db m94439) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Mendon — Fort AdamsAnthony Wayne's lost fort
General Wayne built Fort Adams in August, 1794, on his northward move from Cincinnati in the Indian Wars. The fort, which was located approximately ¼ mile east of here, on the north bank of the river, was one of the smaller units in a chain . . . — Map (db m78498) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Mendon — C — Fort AdamsOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Site of Fort Adams One-fourth mile east. Built by General Wayne In August 1794. A deserter from this fort warned the Indians of the American approach. — Map (db m136595) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Rockford — Hedges Memorial Park
(left marker) Erected by Citizens of this community as a tribute to all veterans Lest we forget (right marker) This historic site was: ages old Indian village, camp, and river crossing for armies of Celeron, . . . — Map (db m44019) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Rockford — History of Anthony Shane
Anthony Shane, born Antoine Chene (meaning oak in French) sometime between 1760 and 1770 to a French Canadian father and Ottawa Indian mother, grew up among the Shawnee tribes on their lands in Ohio. He hunted and fished the St. Marys River with . . . — Map (db m44018) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Rockford — Locating, Moving, and Restoration of the Anthony Shane Log House
A tiny dot on old maps pinpoints a double-log (two story) dwelling on the property owned by Anthony Shane and located at the turn of Shane Road. What was once a thriving pathway from Piqua to Ft. Wayne, running near the river traffic route, is now a . . . — Map (db m44017) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Saint Henry — Saint Henry, Ohio
In July, 1837, Henry Romer platted the village of St. Henry, Ohio. The Romer (Roemer), Bruns, Beckman, Wimmers, Borgelt, Athmer, Wendell, Grievenkamp, Huelsmann, Brockmann, and Hemmelgarnn families were among those early settlers of the 1830’s and . . . — Map (db m116854) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Saint Henry — St. Henry Catholic ChurchDedicated 25 July 1897 — In the “Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches” —
Architect: Adolph Druiding, Chicago Contractor/Decorator: DeCurtins Bros., Carthagena

Parish founded by German immigrants in 1839 and named in honor of Henry II (A.D. 972-1024), Bavarian Duke, King, and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. . . . — Map (db m113279) HM

Ohio (Mercer County), St. Henry — St. Francis Catholic ChurchIn the “Land of Cross-Tipped Churches”
Dedication: 30 September 1906 Architect: William P. Ginther (1859- 1933), Akron, OH Contractor: Nicholas A. Ley, Minster, OH The parish, established in 1856 by German immigrants, was a daughter parish of St. Henry and named in honor of St. . . . — Map (db m118338) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), St. Henry — 1- 54 — The Cranberry PrairieA Geological Feature of Western Ohio
The Cranberry Prairie, southwest of this marker, is a part of Ohio's natural history. The place was named for the cranberries that grew in a swamp here prior to drainage of the area. The Cranberry Prairie was created by centuries of peat . . . — Map (db m94414) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), St. Henry — The Cranberry School Bell
This bell is the original from the Cranberry School that used to stand directly across the road from this location. The bell was hung in the tower on the southwest corner of the school. Every day the bell was rung to begin the school day and . . . — Map (db m94438) HM

63 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement