Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ross County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Home of General Nathaniel Massie Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jamie Abel, August 4, 2012
Home of General Nathaniel Massie Marker
Ohio (Ross County), Bainbridge — Home of General Nathaniel MassieBuilt 1800, One Fourth Mile South
On U.S. 50 0.5 miles west of State Route 41, on the right when traveling east.
Nathaniel Massie, born Goochland County, Virginia, December 28, 1763, 1800 married Sarah Everard Mead, died November 13, 1813. Revolutionary soldier; surveyor of wilderness then known as Northwest Territory and locator of Revolutionary War land . . . — Map (db m58110) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Bainbridge — Last Battle in the Scioto Country
On U.S. 50 0.5 miles east of Local Highway 30, on the right when traveling east.
One-half mile south east of this marker was Reeves Crossing on Tod's Trace, where in the summer of 1795 the last battle in the Scioto country was fought between the whites under General Nathaniel Massie and the Shawnee Indians. The white explorers . . . — Map (db m55410) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — A Flourishing Culture
Near Ohio Route 104 1.7 miles north of U.S. 35.
On Mordecai Hopewell's Ohio farm archeologists excavated Indian mounds in 1891 and found copper ornaments, stone tools, effigy pipes, obsidian spear points, ornamented bear teeth, shark teeth, intricately carved bones, mica cutouts, and much more. . . . — Map (db m20999) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — A Replica of Ohio's First Capitol
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east.
This building, erected in 1940, is a replica of Ohio's first capitol. The stone below and the one beneath the opposite bronze plaque were taken from Ohio's first state house, erected in 1800 - the same year in which the Chillicothe Gazette was . . . — Map (db m14650) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — A Scared Purpose
Near Ohio Route 104 1.7 miles north of U.S. 35.
Some 2,000 years ago the Mound City Group contained the highest density of mounds of any of the Hopewell earthworks, 24 in a 13-acre area. Today 22 can be counted. One of the missing mounds (Mound 15) is present in outline only, marked by the . . . — Map (db m20839) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 10-72 — Abrams' Big House
On Walnut Street at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Walnut Street.
With the Division Act of 1800, the U.S. Congress divided the Northwest Territory at a line essentially the present boundary of Indiana and Ohio. The Indiana Territory stood west of the line. The name Northwest Territory was retained for the land . . . — Map (db m14627) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Ancient Monuments
Near Ohio Route 104 1.7 miles from U.S. 35.
When Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, and Jesus lived, the Hopewell culture built and used Mound City Group. We do not know what the Hopewell called this sacred place, but early archeologists named it for the great number of mounds found here. In 1846 . . . — Map (db m21023) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Arthur St. Clair's Headquarters
On Water Street at Mulberry Street, on the left when traveling east on Water Street.
Gen. Arthur St. Clair First Governor of the N.W. Territory, had his headquarters here, 1800 - 1802 — Map (db m14666) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 11-71 — Banking Crisis of 1819
On Paint Street at 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Paint Street.
[Marker Front]: To provide direction and stability to the economy, Congress created the nation's largest lending agency in 1816, the Second Bank of the United States. Branch banks were established around the country, two of them in . . . — Map (db m14630) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 6-71 — Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes / Lucy Webb Hayes, 1831 - 1889
On 6th Street at Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on 6th Street.
Side A: Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes First Lady Lucy Ware Webb Hayes was born in this four-room Federal Vernacular house in 1831. Well educated for her time, she attended local schools, took classes in the preparatory department of Ohio . . . — Map (db m14655) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 9-71 — Burton Egbert Stevenson
On Paint Street, on the right when traveling south.
[Marker Front]: Born in Chillicothe in 1872, Burton Stevenson's life was devoted to the written word as a prolific author and anthologist, and as a librarian. Following stints as a journalist while a student at Princeton University and then . . . — Map (db m14683) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 8-71 — Camp Bull
On High Street (Ohio Route 104), on the right when traveling north.
Situated on land owned by Thomas Worthington, Camp Bull was a stockade constructed in this vicinity to confine British prisoners of war during the War of 1812. When Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry defeated the British fleet on Lake Erie on September . . . — Map (db m14631) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 7-71 — Camp Sherman
On Ohio Route 104, on the left when traveling north.
Side A: The United States declared war on Germany in April 1917. Largely through the efforts of Chillicothe attorney John Poland, the War Department selected Chillicothe as the site of an army training camp for inductees from Ohio, West . . . — Map (db m14640) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Camp Sherman Memorial ParkIn Memory Of
On Ohio Route 104, on the left when traveling north.
The thousands of men who during 1917-1918 became soldiers here under the training of Maj. General Edwin F. Glenn of the 83rd Division and in other units. . . The thousands of men who under the guidance of A. Bentley & Sons of Toledo, Ohio, in two . . . — Map (db m14641) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Catherine Gougar
Near Orr Road (County Route 526) north of U.S. 23, on the right when traveling north.
In Memory of Catherine Gougar Pioneer wife and mother. Born in New Jersey 1732. Captured by Indians 1744, in Berks Co. PA and for five years held a captive at and near this place. Sold to French Canadian traders she served in Canada . . . — Map (db m59434) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Court House Renovation
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the left when traveling east.
In testimonial and public recognition of the renovation and restoration of the Probate and the Juvenile Divisions of the Common Pleas Court, the Ross County Bar Association memorializes and commends the Board of County Commissioners of Ross County, . . . — Map (db m14661) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Cultural Influences of Chillicothe and Ross County
Near Paint Street at Water Street.
(Marker 1, Native Americans) During the course of Chillicothe’s history many diverse groups have come to inhabit the area with the earliest being the Native American as early as the late 1600's. During the American Revolution, the Shawnees . . . — Map (db m14644) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 13-71 — Dard Hunter
On Highland Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
This classic Gothic Revival home built in the early 1850s, was one of Ohio's early wineries with terraced hillside vineyards overlooking the city of Chillicothe. From 1919 until his death in 1966, it served as the home and working studio of noted . . . — Map (db m14656) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Donald E. McHenry1935 - 1990 — Surveyor - Engineer —
On Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
City Engineer 1964-1971 President of the Rotary Club 1975-1976 Member of the Medical Center Construction Board Member of Community Improvement Corporation Advisor to Chillicothe-Ross Library Board Chairman of Chillicothe Streetscape . . . — Map (db m14664) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Effigy Pipes
Near Ohio Route 104 1.7 miles north of U.S. 35.
Although small and rather ordinary, this mound (Mound 8) contained a remarkable find. Nearly 200 pipes-mostly broken-were discovered here. Skillfully carved from stone, the pipes faithfully detailed human heads and indigenous animals. The pipe bowls . . . — Map (db m20994) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Enderlin Civil War Memorial
On Paint Street at Water Street, in the median on Paint Street.
Erected 1917 by Richard Enderlin Co. B. 73 Regt. O.V.V.I. to the memory of his comrades who helped to preserve the Union LOYALTY — Map (db m14645) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Gateposts from the Northern Entrance to Camp Sherman
On Ohio Route 104 at Hines Blvd, on the right when traveling south on State Route 104.
This post, and the post on the opposite side of the road, were unearthed nearby during a road widening project in the summer of 2006. They were part of a set of four concrete posts erected in October 1919 at the northern entrance to Camp Sherman, an . . . — Map (db m14642) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 2-71 — Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the left when traveling east.
On this site, on January 4-7, 1808, the six Masonic lodges then existent in the state met and formed the Grand Lodge of Ohio. General Rufus Putnam of Marietta was elected the first Grand Master. Because of advanced age and failing health, he . . . — Map (db m14660) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Harold "Pat" White Jr.Memorial Drinking Fountain

This drinking fountain was erected in memory of Harold "Pat" White Jr., U.S. Army Air Corps veteran of World War II and longtime Chillicothe businessperson. For over 30 years Pat was an enthusiastic participant and promoter of physical fitness, . . . — Map (db m82202) HM

Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Historic Site in Journalism
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east.
The Chillicothe Gazette, published since 1800, is the oldest newspaper west of the Allegheny Mountains and the oldest business establishment in Ohio. The newspaper played an important part in American history, specifically through its part in . . . — Map (db m14651) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Mica Splendor
Near Ohio Route 104 1.7 miles north of U.S. 35.
With the building of Camp Sherman, the army leveled this mound-Mound 13-to three feet above ground and built a barrack over it. In 1920 Ohio archeologists led by William Mills excavated the mound and were astonished to uncover the cremated remains . . . — Map (db m20996) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) ChurchFounded 1821 — Historic Underground Railroad —
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling west.
[Marker Front]: Methodism was known in Chillicothe as early as 1796. During the early years, 1803-1821, both African American and white Methodists worshipped together in a small brick church, located on the north side of Second Street . . . — Map (db m14665) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Ross County World War I Memorial
On Water Street, on the right when traveling west.
In honor of the boys from Ross County who gave their lives in the service of their country 1917 - 1919 Allen, Albert F. • Bitzer, Russell • Bollinger, Albert • Bower, Donald B. • Brown, Edward B. • Brown, Elmer G. • Brown, Lorain • Crouse, . . . — Map (db m14646) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — Scioto Lodge No. 6 F. & A. M.
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling west.
One of the lodges which in 1808 founded the Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio Erected January 7, 1958 — Map (db m14662) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 3-71 — Site of Ohio's First Statehouse
On Main Street (U.S. 50) at Paint Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Ross County's first courthouse was Ohio's first statehouse. The courthouse was erected on the Public Square in 1801. Thomas Worthington, one of the building's superintendents, laid out the foundation. Chillicothe was the last capital of the . . . — Map (db m14647) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 8-71 — The "Statehood Riots" / The Enabling Act 1802
On Water Street at Paint Street, on the left when traveling east on Water Street.
Side A: The "Statehood Riots” The first Northwest Territory assembly formally met in Cincinnati in September 1799 to initiate self-government. The legislators were deeply divided politically. The Republicans (antifederalists or . . . — Map (db m14682) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chillicothe — 5-71 — The Chillicothe Gazette
On Main Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east.
The oldest commercial enterprise in Ohio, the Chillicothe Gazette began publication on April 25, 1800, as Freeman's Journal and Chillicothe Advertiser. That October it became the Scioto Gazette, and Chillicothe has had a Gazette ever since. It is . . . — Map (db m14652) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chilllicothe — First Court of Ross County
On 2nd Street at Walnut Street, on the left when traveling east on 2nd Street.
Here stood the two-story log house in which sat the first court of Ross Co., 1798. Here met the Legislature of the N. W. Territory, 1800-1801-1802. In the War of 1812, this was the U. S. Arsenal and Barracks. — Map (db m14770) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chilllicothe — Ross County Civil War Memorial
Near Brookside Drive.
In honor of the Patriotic Men of Ross County who gave their lives in the war for the preservation of the Union their grateful fellow citizens have erected this monument May 30th, 1875 — Map (db m14653) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chllicothe — The Underground Railroad in Chillicothe/Ross CountyHistoric Underground Railroad Site
On West Fourth Street at South Walnut Street, on the left when traveling west on West Fourth Street.
Many heroic men and women joined forces with others in a vast network that helped fugitive slaves secure freedom. Three groups of people were most active in the Underground Railroad movement in Ross County. They were the Presbyterians, the Quakers . . . — Map (db m118737) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Frankfort — 14-71 — Concord Presbyterian Church
On Acton Road (Local Route 507) just east of Little Creek Road (County Route 87), on the right when traveling east.
The Concord Presbyterian Church congregation organized in 1805. The Concord Church was an integral part of the antislavery movement and was a station on the Underground Railroad. Reverend James H. Dickey, the congregation’s second pastor, was . . . — Map (db m118590) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Frankfort — Dr. W. H. Robb Residence
On Main Street at Central Alley, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Site of the residence of Dr. W. H. Robb until it was acquired by the Chillicothe Telephone Company for the new Frankfort Telephone Exchange — Map (db m22812) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Frankfort — 1-71 — The Red Brick Schoolhouse1877
On County Road 550, on the left when traveling west.
Typical of many schoolhouses in the Frankfort area during the 1800s, this school, with its pot-bellied stove and flip-top desks, was part of the public school system of that era. The building and its contents have been restored by the citizens of . . . — Map (db m21989) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Kingston — Nelson John Dunlap
Here in honored glory rests the last Union Civil War veteran of Ross County Nelson John Dunlap May 30, 1843 - December 9, 1942 USS Hastings, Mississippi Squadron, U.S. Navy May their deeds and sacrifices by kept ever green . . . — Map (db m28764) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Metzger — 15-71 — The Great Seal of the State of Ohio
Side A: The hills before you were inspiration for the design of The Great Seal of the State of Ohio. The seal, first depicted in 1803, was often reconfigured until the present image was sanctioned by the Ohio General Assembly in 1967 and . . . — Map (db m28639) HM
Ohio (Ross County), New Salem — 4-71 — Salem Academy
On Church Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Church Street.
Presbyterian minister Hugh Stewart Fullerton asked his congregation in 1841: “Shall we endeavor to form an academy to provide better educational advantages to the young citizens of this remote community?” Predating the founding of . . . — Map (db m118587) HM

41 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement