Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Seneca County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Fort Seneca Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
Fort Seneca Marker
Ohio (Seneca County), Fort Seneca — 2-74 — Fort Seneca
In the 1820s a general store and a grist mill were established near this site, where the famous Scioto-Sandusky Indian Trail neared the Sandusky River. The settlement was first known as McNutt's, later as Swope's Corners. The village of Fort Seneca . . . — Map (db m18126) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Fort Seneca — A1340 — to Brady's Island / to Battle Island Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail Harrison-Shelby Marches
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on South Side : Harrison Shelby Marches 1813 - - - - - 12 Miles to Brady's Island Text on North Side : Harrison Shelby Marches . . . — Map (db m20577) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Fostoria — 5-74 — Fostoria, Ohio Home of Fostoria Glass
Fostoria's glass era began when natural gas was discovered in the mid 1880s at “Godsend,” five miles west of town. Aided by former governor Charles Foster, Fostoria attracted more than a dozen companies that manufactured utilitarian and . . . — Map (db m41233) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Fostoria — 1-74 — Risdon Square
This monument marks the square of the village of Risdon founded in 1832. The land was owned by John Gorsuch, who settled here with his family in a clearing along the Portage River in 1831. He had a plat of the area made by David Risdon, Seneca . . . — Map (db m100139) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Green Springs — Seneca John, Noted Chief
Seneca John, Noted Chief was executed near this spot, easterly, by his tribe, in 1828, charged with witchcraft — North 30 rods is the boundary of the reservation. — Map (db m31733) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), New Riegel — 7-74 — New Riegel Parish and Convent
Side 1 St. Boniface Catholic Church began in 1834 as a mission of several area churches and in 1836, the parish built its first church. in 1844 Bishop John Purcell commissioned Swiss born Father Francis de Sales Brunner, a Missionary of the . . . — Map (db m104848) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Old Fort — Fort Seneca - Harrison Trail 1812 - 1813
This tablet marks the site of Fort Seneca built in July 1813 by Major General William Henry Harrison during the War of 1812 with Great Britain; and also marks the military road known as the "Harrison Trail" blazed through the forest in 1812 by . . . — Map (db m21948) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Old Fort — Native American Habitation
In earliest recorded history, the Erie tribe inhabited this land. The Iroquois Confederacy, particularly the Senecas, annihilated the Eries between 1650 and 1656. This area then became the "hunting grounds" of the Senecas and Mohawks. In 1730 . . . — Map (db m70010) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 3-74 — Camp Ball
In July 1813 a detachment of soldiers under Lt. Col. James V. Ball built a supply fort here along the military road that ran along the west bank of the Sandusky River. Ball chose this site for its large spring of cold water, which he enclosed within . . . — Map (db m17977) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — Fort Ball
1813. This Tree Marks The Site of Old Fort Ball Built in 1813 by Order of General Harrison. — Map (db m104132) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 10-74 — State's First Female Lawyers
Side A In 1873, Tiffin's Cronise sisters became the first women admitted to the Ohio Bar. At that time, Ohio did not provide for the admission of women attorneys. On April 4th 1873, Nettie Cronise applied to the district court. Despite . . . — Map (db m100140) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement