John W. Carey was born in 1805 in West Virginia [sic - Virginia] and came to Shelby County with his parents, Cephas and Jane Williamson Carey. Around 1833, J.W. Carey bought a thousand acres in Dinsmore Township, west of the present railroad in . . . — — Map (db m29873) HM
Acclaimed author and illustrator of juvenile literature Lois Lenski was born in Springfield in 1893, grew up in Anna, and graduated from Sidney High School. In 1915, Lenski graduated from The Ohio State University and moved to New . . . — — Map (db m28589) HM
Rumley was a colored community, platted in 1837 by Joel and Wesley Goins, who purchased 400 acres of land. They were freemen from Baltimore, Maryland. The deed to the land was granted and signed by President Van Buren. Over 500 Negroes lived in this . . . — — Map (db m77675) HM
Here the pioneer founders of the congregation built a log church in 1832. In this place they laid to rest their dead from 1832 until 1900. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord" — — Map (db m108838) HM
Dinsmore Township School District No. 4 was formed in 1865 following
a decision by the townships board of education that a school
would be built in the center of every four sections of land, or
every four square miles. This placement of school . . . — — Map (db m77671) HM
The Indian Wars came to an end when Gen.
“Mad” Anthony Wayne defeated the Indians in the
Battle of Fallen Timbers (1794) and then negotiated
the Treaty of Greene Ville the following year. After
the treaty, Gen. . . . — — Map (db m108726) HM
In honor of those who served our country
during times of peace and war. Those who gave
the supreme sacrifice, those still missing and
those who came home both whole and broken.
(five service . . . — — Map (db m94412) WM
This marker is located on the boundary line which was established at the end of the Indian wars to separate the American settlers and the Indians. It was agreed upon by the United States and the defeated confederated Indian tribes at the Treaty of . . . — — Map (db m20587) HM
on June 18, 1797 from a sycamore tree
near the fork of Loramie Creek, Israel
Ludlow surveyed a random line east
130.6 miles to the Muskingum River.
On August 3, 1799, a short distance
east of this spot, Ludlow commenced
the Greenville Treaty . . . — — Map (db m77542) HM
This marker is on the right-of-way of the Old Miami and Erie Canal which ran from the Ohio River at Cincinnati to Lake Erie at Toledo. Gov. DeWitt Clinton of New York broke ground for the canal on July 21, 1825 just below Middletown. Built in . . . — — Map (db m20039) HM
St. Patrick Catholic Church was organized as a parish in 1862. The first church, made of logs, was built in 1863. At that time, the community was mostly Irish. The second church, a wood frame building, was erected in 1874. The last church, built of . . . — — Map (db m100146) HM
The first airport in Shelby County and one of the earliest in Ohio was opened July, 1908, by the Korn brothers, Edward and Milton. Here they built their second plane in their father's barn and successfully flew this plane on July 2, 1911. The barn . . . — — Map (db m80301) HM
Built between 1825 and 1845, this series of locks raised and lowered canal boats a total of 67 feet. The upper lock, near the "Loramie Summit," is the high point between Cincinnati and Toledo. Five of the original locks are along the trail; the . . . — — Map (db m19946) HM
This bell tolled from the belfry of
Port Jefferson School
to students of this area for 73 years.
The school, located on the S.W. corner of
Spring and Wall Streets, was razed in 1982.
secured by the Alumni Committee,
this memento of days . . . — — Map (db m87798) HM
This landmark bridge was completed in September 1924 by the Walsh Construction Company for the C.C.C.&St.L. Railroad, and hailed as a “stupendous piece of engineering work.” The original Bellefontaine and Indiana line went through . . . — — Map (db m29769) HM
This graceful yet sturdy building is of the Italianate design. Shoes have been sold here since 1864, making it Ohio's oldest continuously operating footwear location. William Covill operated his store here in 1870. John Burkhart built the current . . . — — Map (db m29748) HM
Carey's Hall was completed in 1854 by local contractor John W. Carey. Carey's Hall was given as first prize in the Monumental Building lottery in the early 1870s. It housed many businesses over the years. John W. Carey constructed the Shelby County . . . — — Map (db m29798) HM
George W Bush
President George W. Bush became the third sitting
U.S. president to visit Sidney when he arrived at The
Spot on August 28, 2004 while campaigning for
re-election. The President greeted shocked Spot
patrons, and ordered a . . . — — Map (db m136135) HM
This lot was one of the first developed in Sidney with its use dating from 1820. It was headquarters for the German American Bank that collapses in a notorious 1904 bank failure. The First National Exchange Bank, founded in 1899, rented the space . . . — — Map (db m29611) HM
First County Seat of Shelby County
Hardin was founded in October, 1816 by Thomas McClish,
Joseph Steinberger and James Lenox. These men were also
instrumental in developing Shelby County, which included the
areas of Allen county . . . — — Map (db m86765) HM
Ohio's most important Civil War building was the first of 14 constructed. The cornerstone was laid in June 1875 to honor 320 fallen comrades. The placement of Sgt. Baker in 1900 facing Ohio Avenue completed the building. An opera hall, seating . . . — — Map (db m29706) HM
One of the last works of Louis Henri Sullivan (1856-1924), the American architect whose original ideas of functional design and decorative ornament provided a basis for modern American architecture. — — Map (db m28591) HM
Zum Andenken der Deutsch
Civil War 1861 - 1865
Battery M, First Ohio
Volunteer Light Artillery
Sidney, Shelby County, Ohio.
Erected in 1938 by
George Hemm Jr.
in memory of . . . — — Map (db m29779) HM
In commemoration of those of
who for freedom's sake gave their
last full measure of devotion
Blackford, Forest W. Cicur, Jr., John T.
Eidemiller, Harold H. Fogt, Kale D.
Fogt, Lloyd O. Geuy, . . . — — Map (db m29763) WM
This sculpture celebrates [Agriculture/Civic Life/Education/Industry] in Sidney and Shelby County at the turn of the Millenium. [These] four pieces representing important aspects of local life, [were] donated by the Sidney/Shelby Public Art . . . — — Map (db m29766) HM
This 1,250 pound bell was first sounded in the belfry of the Monumental Bulding at Ohio Avenue and Court Street in January 1905. There is served mainly as a fire bell, ringing when firemen were called to a fire and again as the men returned to the . . . — — Map (db m29768) HM
The old jail, actually the county's fourth, was completed in 1875 at a cost of $38,600. The Victorian Italianate design made it a distinctive structure. The front facade is composed of 2,000 pound limestone blocks. The jail housed inmates and also . . . — — Map (db m29746) HM
In 1819, the State of Ohio formally recognized Shelby County, named for Isaac Shelby, veteran of the American Revolution and former governor of Kentucky. The first county seat was located in Hardin, but was moved to Sidney in 1820 to centralize . . . — — Map (db m28590) HM
Former President Theodore Roosevelt
addressed a large crowd from
these steps on May 16, 1912.
He was introduced by C. B. De Weese.
William Howard Taft
President William Howard Taft
was the first sitting . . . — — Map (db m28619) HM
The old Presbyterian church occupied this site until it was purchased and demolished by General J.O. Amos in 1892. He built a three-story structure here to house the Sidney Daily News and Shelby County Democrat newspapers. That business remained . . . — — Map (db m29744) HM