The first and only fort of the Revolutionary War, established within the limits of what is now Ohio, was built here in December 1778 by General Lachlan McIntosh, as a defense against the British and Indians, and held until early in August 1779 when . . . — — Map (db m3277) HM
In commemoration of our patriot ancestors who served with the 8th Pennsylvania and the 13th Virginia regiments at Fort Laurens from November 18, 1778 - August 2, 1779.
To assure that their sacrifice to the newly founded republic was not in vain, . . . — — Map (db m81585) HM
On Sherman Church Road (County Route 102) near 12221 Sherman Church Rd NE, on the right when traveling south.
Treaty of Greene Ville
With the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1763, England lost the American
Revolution and ceded to the former colonies land from the Atlantic Ocean
to the Mississippi River. By this time, pioneer settlers had reached . . . — — Map (db m77320) HM
Near North 3rd Street at Sherman Street, on the right when traveling north.
On October 23, 1927, ceremony was held for the laying of the cornerstone for the Dennison High School Building. It opened in the fall of 1928 and was called "Angel's Castle" in honor of school superintendent William Hiram Angel. The . . . — — Map (db m81550) HM
On Grant Street at North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Grant Street.
Dennison Railway Chapel
From its founding in 1865, Dennison was a railroad town and became the second largest rail center for the Pennsylvania Railroad. Rail presence was so strong that the industry dictated social and economic . . . — — Map (db m81547) HM
On Center Street at North 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Center Street.
Dennison Yard and Shops
Panhandle Division, Pennsylvania Railroad
The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis Railway began construction of the Dennison Railroad Shops here in 1864. This rail line was chartered as the . . . — — Map (db m81546) HM
On South Tuscarawas Avenue at Washington Street, on the right when traveling north on South Tuscarawas Avenue.
Camp Meigs was established in 1861 at what later became the Tuscarawas County Fairgrounds. At this site, two regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 51st and 80th, were mustered into the Union Army. The 51st OVI was organized in October 1861. Six . . . — — Map (db m81576) HM
On 3rd Street at Wooster Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 3rd Street.
The Dover Concert Band, shown here in new uniforms, was popular and successful for many years. This photo was taken when the band traveled to Columbus to perform at the Ohio State Fair. Front and center are Bandleader Domenic Greco and Governor Vic . . . — — Map (db m15181) HM
The American Sheet and Tin Plate Company founded the first Dover Public Library for the benefit of its employees at the corner of Front Street and Factory Street in 1902. Five years later, the library moved to a residence on Cherry and Fifth . . . — — Map (db m139952) HM
Jeremiah E. Reeves
Jeremiah Reeves was born in England in 1845 and began his career in the mills of Wales, United Kingdom, at the age of ten. In 1867, he immigrated to the United States where he worked in the steel mills of . . . — — Map (db m81573) HM
1941 (eagle) 1945
In honor of the former employees of
Reeves Steel and Mfg. Co.
Who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of their country in World War II
Duane J. Stalder . . . — — Map (db m81575) WM
On Tuscarawas Avenue (Ohio Route 211) at West Front Street, on the right when traveling south on Tuscarawas Avenue.
Christian Deardorff (1781-1851) with his brother-in-law Jesse Slingluff (1775-1836) platted and founded Dover and built the area's first gristmill on Sugar Creek. With the coming of the Ohio and Erie Canalto Dover, Deardorff lobbied . . . — — Map (db m139951) HM
The Ohio-Erie Canal 1825-1913
Seeking an alternate transportation route to distant markets, many farmers and manufacturers in Ohio wanted to connect the Ohio River to Lake Erie with a canal. Beginning in Cleveland the Ohio-Erie Canal ran south, . . . — — Map (db m15190) HM
On Wooster Avenue at 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Wooster Avenue.
W. W. Scott, shown at the right in the photo, was a very colorful character from Dover's past; opinionated and outspoken, he had a personality ideally suited for his role as the Editor of a small town newspaper. Mr. Scott has a wide range of . . . — — Map (db m15216) HM
On Winklepleck Road (County Route 73) at Ohio Route 516, on the right when traveling east on Winklepleck Road.
The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14
Desperately trying to protect their homeland, the Delaware Indian Nation who lived here in the Tuscarawas Valley, joined the French against the English during the French and Indian War, . . . — — Map (db m81571) HM
Near South Cherry Street 0.2 miles south of West Indian Street.
The Moravian Church in America began missionary work among the Delaware and Mohican tribes of North America in the mid-18th century. David Zeisberger, one of the best-known Moravian missionaries, came to the Ohio . . . — — Map (db m81569) HM
On Tuscora Avenue at Lake Street, on the right when traveling west on Tuscora Avenue.
For 17 years
Chairman of “First Town Days Festival”
“Al Maloney Midway”
Dedicated: July 1, 1999
For any organization to survive and prosper, there must be a strong driving force within the organization. That . . . — — Map (db m15252) HM
On Broadway Street (Ohio Route 416), on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated in the memory of C. William “Bill” Kidd
14 Years New Philadelphia
Football Record - 82 wins - 48 loses [sic] - 8 ties
Bill Kidd was one of the finest high school coaches in America. The players who played for him . . . — — Map (db m15250) HM
On High Avenue near Broadway Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
United States of America
Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients
State of Ohio, Tuscarawas County Civil War
Archinal, William J. Corporal Mississippi 1863
Blickensderfer, Milton A. Sergeant Virginia 1865
Campbell, William . . . — — Map (db m15246) HM
On East High Avenue (County Route 259), on the right when traveling south.
Schoenbrunn Schoolhouse 1772
In December 1772, Brother David Zeisberger and his followers began the construction of Schoenbrunn schoolhouse. The school was built in the Tuscarawas Valley on land given to Zeisberger in the spring of 1771 by . . . — — Map (db m73218) HM
On East High Avenue (Ohio Route 39) at North Broadway Street (Ohio Route 800), on the right when traveling west on East High Avenue.
When David Knisely, the founder of New Philadelphia, first arrived in the Tuscarawas Valley on August 27, 1803, he found a sparsely populated, pristine wilderness. Five years later the state legislature approved a bill organizing Tuscarawas County . . . — — Map (db m292) HM
On Commercial Avenue SE (Ohio Route 416) south of Cookson Avenue SE, on the left when traveling south.
Here, on April 10, 1779 during the Revolutionary War, David Zeisberger founded one of the five Delaware Christian missions to occupy the Tuscarawas Valley between May 3, 1772 and September 8, 1781. Living at the Lichtenau mission near the Delaware . . . — — Map (db m295) HM
On Commercial Avenue SE (Ohio Route 416) at Canal Avenue SE, on the left when traveling south on Commercial Avenue SE.
1825–1913. Seeking an alternative transportation route to distant markets, many farmers and manufacturers in Ohio wanted to connect the Ohio River to Lake Erie with a canal. Beginning in Cleveland the Ohio-Erie Canal ran south, the length of . . . — — Map (db m293) HM
On High Avenue (Ohio Route 39), on the left when traveling east.
We believe in God, our country, liberty and the American way.
The citizens of Tuscarawas County pay tribute to all the brave men and women of our armed forces who served our country in times of peace and war. We take pride in your devotion and it . . . — — Map (db m15239) WM
On High Avenue (Ohio Route 39), on the left when traveling east.
“To those who survived, we are grateful and welcome you home.”
“To those who still suffer, either in mind or body, we acknowledge it and appreciate what you've done for us and we will not forget.”
“For those who . . . — — Map (db m15243) HM
On Broadway Street (Ohio Route 416) at High Avenue (Ohio Route 39), on the right when traveling north on Broadway Street.
In recognition of the patriotism of the people of Tuscarawas County who so generously purchased War Saving Stamps in 1918 this tablet is gratefully erected by the Ohio War Savings Committee — — Map (db m15241) HM
Baseball's most successful pitcher, Denton True “Cy” Young (1867-1955) won 511 games during his 22-year career, and compiled a record of sixteen 20-win seasons, including five seasons where he topped 30 wins. Young displayed remarkable . . . — — Map (db m16388) HM
Denton “Cy” Young
Mar. 29, 1867
Nov. 4, 1955
Baseball's Immortal Pitcher
In his youth on a nearby farm, “Cy” played baseball for love of the game, a quality that remained with him . . . — — Map (db m16389) HM
Let us always remember
who served in Desert Storm
Jan 16 - Feb 27, 1991
Gary Abbuhl Jr •
Lawrence Beaber •
Michael Berger •
William T Bradford •
Terry Buchanan •
David Cleveland •
C W Colvin •
Steve Dietrich . . . — — Map (db m16390) WM
On U.S. 36 at Salem Park Road (Local Route 213), on the left on U.S. 36.
Here, on April 6, 1780 during the American Revolutionary War, a contingent of Delaware Christian Indians, led by John Heckwelder, an assistant to Moravian missionary David Zeisberger, founded the last of five missions to occupy the Tuscarawas Valley . . . — — Map (db m296) HM
On Cross Roads Road NE (County Route 108) at Beckel Avenue and Sandyville Rd (County Route 107), on the right when traveling west on Cross Roads Road NE.
Sandyville was founded in 1815 by future State Senator Henry Laffer. In 1936, the 275 villagers learned that the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District planned to control regional flooding with the construction of 14 dams including nearby Bolivar . . . — — Map (db m122265) HM
On West Main Street at North Broadway Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
The Alpine Alpa restaurant in Wilmot, Ohio commissioned clockmaker Karl Schleutermann to build the world's largest cuckoo clock in 1963. Twelve years and $50,000 later, the enormous outdoor clock was finished. It was featured on the cover of the . . . — — Map (db m139953) HM
On Main Street (Ohio Route 39) at Mill Street (Ohio Route 93), on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
1814 • 100 lots recorded as laid out by
Abraham Shane with “ten perches for a
public square and street.”
1820 • Lutheran Church began with
Rev. Abraham Snyder
1821 • First Reformed Church of Shanesville
organized by Rev. . . . — — Map (db m28851) HM
On South Main Street (Ohio Route 416) south of Cherry Street, on the right when traveling south.
The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio during the pre-railroad era, the Ohio & Erie Canal traversed nearly six miles of Warwick Township. Completed in 1830, the canal brought prosperity to the village of Trenton (now Tuscarawas) and to . . . — — Map (db m294) HM
On Newport Avenue 0.1 miles south of Trenton Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Uhrich's Mill 1806
Michael Uhrich, Sr. founded Uhrich's Mill on this site in 1806. Uhrich emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1804 and became one of the first County Commissioners upon the formation of Tuscarawas County in February . . . — — Map (db m81567) HM
On Dover Zoar Road NE (County Route 82) at Towpath Road NE (County Route 111), on the right when traveling north on Dover Zoar Road NE.
Construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal, beginning in Cleveland and running south to Portsmouth, began in 1825. As a means to pay for debts on the community's 5,500 acres of Tuscarawas County land, members of the Society of . . . — — Map (db m81577) HM
Here, in what has been described as "God's Acre," is the final resting place of members of the Society of Separatists of Zoar (1817-1898) as well as today's descendants and residents. The early Zoarites' simple religion forbade . . . — — Map (db m81584) HM
On Main Street (Ohio Route 212) 0.1 miles south of Fourth Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Zoar Garden was the Separatist's most public manifestation of their faith, its religious symbolism masked by its lush beauty. It provided both residents and visitors with a place to relax and reflect. This "lustgarden," or . . . — — Map (db m81579) HM
On Main Street (Ohio Route 212) 0.1 miles north of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south.
Zoar Town Hall
The Society of Separatists of Zoar built the Zoar Town Hall in 1887 when the village was formally incorporated. Established in 1817 by German religious dissidents, Zoar became one of the most successful . . . — — Map (db m81578) HM
Near East 3rd Street at Main Street (Ohio Route 212), on the right when traveling east.
Zoar was founded in 1817 by a group of immigrants from Wurttemburg, Germany, who sought religious freedom. The mandatory military service in Germany prompted many pacifist groups, like the Zoarites, to immigrate to the United States. The separatist . . . — — Map (db m81582) HM
On Ohio Route 800 near Ohio Route 212, on the right when traveling north.
The Zoarville Station Bridge is a rare survivor of the earliest period of iron bridge construction in the United States, an era when unprecedented railroad expansion gave American bridge builders an international reputation for innovation. German . . . — — Map (db m36759) HM