Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Van Wert County Ohio Historical Markers

 
The Western Terminus of the Lincoln Highway in Ohio Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
The Western Terminus of the Lincoln Highway in Ohio Marker
Ohio (Van Wert County), Convoy — 6-81 — Here Lies Robert Nesbitt / The Western Terminus of the Lincoln Highway in Ohio
On Lincoln Highway at Pollock Road, on the right when traveling north on Lincoln Highway.
(Side One) Here Lies Robert Nesbitt This is the grave site of Robert Nesbitt, an immigrant from Convoy, Ireland who named Convoy, Ohio after his home town. In 2010, the Convoy Community Foundation, Convoy Lions Club, Convoy . . . — Map (db m69040) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Convoy — Robert Nesbit b. Dec 1810 d. May 1879
Near Pollock Road east of Lincoln Highway, on the right when traveling east.
"The Man Who Named Convoy, Ohio" Robert Nesbitt was born in Convoy of Donegal Ireland in December of 1810. Nesbitt emigrated to the United States and moved to Van Wert County in the late 1830's. In 1939, Nesbit(t) purchased 120 acres . . . — Map (db m69041) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Delphos — 5-81 — Leslie C. Peltier
On W. Second Street at N. Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling west on W. Second Street.
A farm boy with a tenth grade education, Leslie Peltier, born near Delphos in 1900, achieved fame as one of the most famous astronomers of the twentieth century. In 1916, he raised $18 dollars by picking 900 quarts of strawberries on his father's . . . — Map (db m117710) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Ohio City — First Successful Automobile
On East Carmean Street at Washington Street when traveling east on East Carmean Street.
First successful automobile built here by John W. Lambert in 1891 Built at this site. — Map (db m116103) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Ohio City — Ohio City Civil War Memorial
In memory of our fallen heroes 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m14995) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Ohio City — Site of the First Automobile Wreck
On West Carmean Street at Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west on West Carmean Street.
First successful automobile built here by John W. Lambert in 1891. Site of the first automobile wreck. — Map (db m116104) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Near Woodland Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes, 1861-1865. — Map (db m12464) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — Company D, 2nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Monument
On Woodland Avenue, in the median.
In memory of Co. D - 2nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry United Spanish War Veterans 1898-1899 — Map (db m12467) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — First County Library in the United States 1901
On West Main Street (State Highway 118), on the right when traveling west.
Here stands the first county library in the United States. Given to the people of Van Wert County, by John Sanford Brumback In recognition of his gift, this memorial was erected by the Kiwanis Club of Van Wert. — Map (db m12477) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — 1-81 — Hoghe Road Bridge
On 1055 South Washington Street (U.S. 127), on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1894 at a cost of $575, this bridge spanned Town Creek at Hoghe Road (Township Road 82) for 100 years. The Van Wert County Commissioners approved the bridge's construction in response to requests from the Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw . . . — Map (db m12201) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — 2-81 — Killing Spree Ends Here in 1948
On Stemen Road at U.S. 224, on the right when traveling north on Stemen Road.
One of Ohio's greatest manhunts ended here on the morning of July 23, 1948. Robert M. Daniels and John C. West, parolees from the state prison in Mansfield, had gone on a killing spree that left six people dead. Driving west on U.S. Route 224 in a . . . — Map (db m69043) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — 4-81 — The Brumback Library
On West Main Street (State Highway 118), on the right when traveling west.
When local banker and businessman John Sanford Brumback left a large bequest to Van Wert County for the purpose of establishing a countywide library in 1897, such institutions did not yet exist, and Ohio had no legal provision for a tax-supported . . . — Map (db m12426) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — Van Wert Gazebo
On Washington Street (U.S. 127), on the right when traveling north.
Gazebo History The Band Stand (Gazebo) was built in 1875 on the Court House lawn. It was moved in 1891 to Third Ward Park by George Marsh, and then to the County Fair Grounds in the early 1900's. The Trustees moved it to its current . . . — Map (db m12741) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Van Wert — C — Wayne's Strategy Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
On Washington Street (U.S. 127) at Main Street, on the left when traveling south on Washington Street. Reported missing.
. . . — Map (db m136592) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Venedocia — 105 Howitzer Anti-tank Gun New Veterans Memorial
Near Bobb Street (Ohio Route 116).
The howitzer was used by the U.S. Army during WW II. It was issued to Airborne Units and Cannon Companies of Infantry Regiments. Range 7 miles. — Map (db m94995) WM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Venedocia — 3-81 — Anthony Wayne's March Across Van Wert County / Venedocia Village
On Ohio Route 116 0.2 miles west of Jefferson Street.
[South Side of Marker] : "Anthony Wayne's March Across Van Wert County" To the right is the route taken by the U.S. Legion under Major General Anthony Wayne as it marched across what would become Van Wert County. The army of 2,800 men . . . — Map (db m29614) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Venedocia — Venedocia War Memorial
On Bebb Street (Ohio Route 116) 0.3 miles west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
An Altar of Peace In memory of and in tribute to the members of this community who so nobly served our nation in her several wars May God grant that their service and devotion shall not have been in vain and that the liberty . . . — Map (db m95001) WM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Willshire — Site of Indian Reservation
On Ohio Route 49, on the right when traveling north.
Site of Indian Reservation granted to John Bapt. Richardville Chief Miami Nation By St. Marys Treaty of October 6th 1818 1200 Acres — Map (db m90941) HM
Ohio (Van Wert County), Willshire — Willshire, Ohio
On Walcott Street (U.S. 33) west of Sprague Street, on the left when traveling west.
Founded by Capt. James Riley, 1821 Named for William Willshire Original county seat of Van Wert County Post Office established 1823 First church organized 1829 Original public school building erected in this park 1848 Railroad built . . . — Map (db m44064) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement