Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Warren County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Astronomical Alignments Mound and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., December 6, 2009
Astronomical Alignments Mound and Marker
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Astronomical Alignments
American Indians who built Fort Ancient used the sun and moon to measure time. By observing the rising location of these celestial objects they knew when to gather together for religious or social events or when to plant crops. They used sunrise . . . — Map (db m28004) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Changes at Fort Ancient
Many changes have occurred at Fort Ancient over the last 2,000 years. Hopewell Indians built the site and used it as a ceremonial and social gathering area. The Fort Ancient Indians lived in the South Fort 500 years after the Hopewell people left. . . . — Map (db m26618) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Fort Ancient Dwelling
The Fort Ancient people who occupied this area between about AD900 and AD1600 lived in larger communities than the Hopewell people did. Their villages of 200 to 500 people were truly agricultural; they cultivated beans, corn, squash, and tobacco. . . . — Map (db m26622) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Fort Ancient Earthworks
You are standing inside a hilltop earthworks built by the Hopewell Indians nearly 2000 years ago. Early settlers in this area thought these walls were constructed for defensive purposes, hence the name Fort Ancient. Today, archaeologists believe . . . — Map (db m26628) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Fort Ancient Prehistoric Indian Earthworks
You are standing inside an earthworks built by prehistoric Hopewell Indians nearly 2000 years ago. Early settlers in this area thought these walls were constructed as a fort. Today, archaeologists believe the site was used primarily as a religious . . . — Map (db m26881) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Hilltop Enclosure
Hopewell Indians constructed this hilltop enclosure and probably used it for social gatherings and religious observances. No evidence of Hopewell occupation is present within the 100+ acre enclosure. Hopewell domestic areas abound on the plateau . . . — Map (db m26882) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Middle Fort Ditch Construction
Archaeologists cite three reasons why “Fort” Ancient is not a fortification. First, there is no evidence that a large number of people lived inside the earthworks, definitely not the thousands needed to defend such a large area. Second, . . . — Map (db m26887) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — North Overlook
On the east side of the Little Miami River between the two bridges (Rt. 350 and I-71) is the site of a former Fort Ancient Indian village, now known as Anderson Village, occupied for about 20 years between AD 1000 and 1200. Clifford Anderson, who . . . — Map (db m26884) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Stages of Construction / Crescent Mounds
Stages of Construction The earth walls were built over a period of approximately three hundred years and used for a couple of hundred years beyond that. American Indians used the shoulder bones of deer and elk, split elk antler, clam shell . . . — Map (db m27202) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — 9-83 — The Civilian Conservation Corps — The Civilian Conservation Corps of Fort Ancient
Side A: The Civilian Conservation Corps During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the federal government established the Civilian Conservation Corps, known as the CCC or triple C's under the direction of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New . . . — Map (db m26482) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — The Myth of the Mound Builders
Throughout the 19th Century scholars believed there were three great New World civilizations; Inca, Aztec, and Mound Builders. They believed that the American Indians had destroyed the Mound Builders. While early scholars could not accept the idea . . . — Map (db m26883) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Twin Mounds & Parallel Walls
These circular twin mounds were excavated in the late 1800s and contained no human remains. Two shallow ditches extend from these earth mounds. One ditch connects to Randall Run on the north side of Fort Ancient, while the other connects with Cowen . . . — Map (db m28023) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — 12-83 — Franklin In The Civil War
Men from Franklin Township were among the first from Ohio to leave for the war and participated in many of the conflict's great campaigns. Individual companies of the 1st Ohio (90 day), 2nd Ohio, 75th Ohio, and 79th Ohio infantry were raised . . . — Map (db m67662) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — Franklin Veterans Memorial — Originally a World War I Monument — World War II and Korea, Added Later
front Lest We Forget dedicated to all who rendered service to our country during the World War 1914 - 1918

back Lest We Forget dedicated to all who served our country during World War II and the Korean . . . — Map (db m93904) WM

Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — 11-83 — Lewis Davis Campbell
Two leading figures in nineteenth century national and state politics were born in log cabins located near this spot. Lewis Davis Campbell (1811-1882) served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1849 to 1858, rising to the leadership of Ohio’s . . . — Map (db m81184) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — Preservation of Log Post Office — "The Long Journey Begins"
[North face of the pavilion] It all started in June 1974 when Franklin Judge J.T. Riley decided to replace the white building pictured here. It was reputed that the right portion was where J.N.C. Schenck had his store and post office. He . . . — Map (db m26551) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — 11-83 — Robert Cumming Schenck
Robert Cumming Schenck (1809-1890) served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1843 to 1851. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he was appointed a general in the Union Army and was seriously wounded at the Battle of Second Manassas in August . . . — Map (db m81183) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — Robert E. Lee — A Tribute on the Dixie Highway
(logo- Lee on horse) Erected and dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and friends in loving memory of Robert E. Lee and to mark the route of the Dixie Highway

“the shaft . . . — Map (db m93861) HM WM

Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — 13-83 — The Mackinaw Historic District
Most of the homes in this district were constructed after the creation of the Mackinaw Development Corporation in 1887. The corporation was named for the Cincinnati, Jackson, and Mackinaw Railroad which arrived in Franklin from Darke County in 1886. . . . — Map (db m67652) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — 7-83 — The Old Log Post Office
The oldest known structure standing in Franklin, the Old Log Post Office is a reminder of the links the community's earliest members maintained to the rest of the young state of Ohio and to the United States during the early nineteenth century. . . . — Map (db m26549) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — The Thirkield Store
Founded by John L. Thirkield in 1832 Occupied this corner from 1850 until 1979. The Thirkield family owned and operated the store which prided itself on quality merchandise and good customer relations. Under the leadership of Eden B. . . . — Map (db m67649) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Harveysburg — 10-83 — Harveysburg / The Harveysburg School
Side A: Harveysburg The Quaker village of Harveysburg was founded in 1829 on land originally a part of Colonel Abraham Buford's Revolutionary War Land Grant. Levi Lukens, a Virginia Quaker, purchased the 1000 - acre survey in 1812 and sold a . . . — Map (db m26545) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Broadway Bridge
Side A: Built in 1897, this span over Turtle Creek is the oldest nonreinforced concrete arch bridge in Ohio. The residents of Floraville, the area to the south, felt the bridge needed to be “the most prominent” in all of Lebanon. . . . — Map (db m24772) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Bundy House
Side A: This house is on lot No. 33 of the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. The land was owned by Samuel Manning, one of the town's founders. It was bought in 1886 by Dr. G. L. Krieger, a native of France. That same year it was sold, for . . . — Map (db m25047) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Christmas Tree Park
The Golden Lamb Ohio's oldest inn has hosted scores of dignitaries including 11 US Presidents Two Hollywood movies were filmed here; Harper Valley PTA in 1977 and Milk Money in 1993 Distinguished citizen Tom . . . — Map (db m25109) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Ferguson House
Side A: This house sits on lot No. 29 in the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. In 1805 the land was bought by William Ferguson, the town's first postmaster. Ferguson owned the Indian Chief Tavern. This inn was located one block to the west where . . . — Map (db m25099) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — I.O.O.F. Temple
Side A: Lebanon Lodge No. 15 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was dedicated to the “purposes of benevolence and charity” and became one of the most prominent I.O.O.F. lodges in Ohio. The original building was a two-story . . . — Map (db m25007) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Ichabod Corwin
Upon this site in March, 1796 Ichabod Corwin erected the first cabin on land which is now Lebanon, Ohio

This tablet placed by Turtle Creek Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1962 — Map (db m99421) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — LCNB Building
Side A: On May 20, 1877 the Lebanon National Bank was certified by the Treasury Dept. Its new 10-ton safe came by rail to Corwin, Ohio. Eight oxen were needed to haul it the 10 miles to the bank's location at what is now 2 N. Broadway. In . . . — Map (db m24777) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Lebanon Library / Harmon Hall
Side A: Lebanon Library Andrew Carnegie gave Lebanon $10,000 in 1906 for the construction of a library if the town would provide at least $1,000 a year for its upkeep. Money for the books and furnishings was given by Lebanon's own William E. . . . — Map (db m24779) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Lewis House
Side A: The William C. Lewis House sits on lot No. 49 of the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. The owner of a dry goods store on the corner of Mulberry and Broadway, Lewis built the Greek Revival house in 1846. The veranda was added around 1900. . . . — Map (db m24784) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Town Plat / The Tharp House
Side A: The Town Plat Lebanon was laid out in September of 1802 by four pioneer settler. Cradled by the forks of Turtle Creek, 100 lots were carved out of the wild, primitive forest. At the time, there were only two cabins in the plat. The . . . — Map (db m25100) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Town Square / City Hall Site
Side A: The Town Square Only Broadway and Main were named on the original 1802 map of Lebanon. Broadway was 1 1/2 times wider so stagecoaches could turn around. The four lots at the intersection were set aside as the town square. Today two of . . . — Map (db m24775) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Village Ice Cream Parlor
Side A: The building at 22 S. Broadway sits on lot No. 99 of the 1802 plat of Lebanon. In 1854, Henry C. Meloy ran a grocery store here while his family lived on the 2nd floor. After his death in 1889, it was used as a saloon, a . . . — Map (db m24778) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — 3-83 — Thomas Corwin — (1794 - 1865)
One of the most effective political orators of his era, Tom Corwin (nicknamed "the Wagon Boy" for his War of 1812 service) resided here from 1839 until his death. A Whig stump speaker known for his wit and eloquence, he was elected governor of Ohio . . . — Map (db m24061) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — 2-83 — Union Village — (1805 - 1912)
Side A: Union Village, the first and largest Shaker (United Society of Believers) community west of the Allegheny Mountains, was established in 1805. Nearly 4,000 Shakers lived in Union Village, the last living here until 1920. They owned 4,500 . . . — Map (db m24074) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Van Sickle House
Side A: Located on lot No. 29 of the 1802 town plat, this land was bought by William H. Van Sickle in 1868 for $800. The house was built a short time later. Van Sickle was the grandson of one of Lebanon's founders, Ephraim Hathaway. A village . . . — Map (db m25059) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Mason — 5-83 — Blaw-Knox Antenna
In 1922, during the infancy of broadcast radio, the call letters WLW were assigned to the station begun by Cincinnatian Powell Crosley Jr. The station moved its transmitting operations to Mason in 1928, and by April 17, 1934, WLW had permission to . . . — Map (db m23996) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Middletown — Road of Remembrance — “Lest We Forget”
“Lest we forget” the trees along this road were planted by the people of the community to form this Road of Remembrance in honor of the Men of Middletown who served their country during the World War 1916- 1918 — Map (db m93869) WM
Ohio (Warren County), Middletown — The First Pedigree of a Poland China Hog — A Strictly American Breed of Swine
The first pedigree of a Poland China Hog was written on this farm in August 1876 by W. C. Hankinson, owner of the farm, and Carl Freigua, compiler of the original record

This strictly American breed of swine originated within a radius . . . — Map (db m93868) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Morrow — Mounts Station — The First Settlement of the Virginia Military Lands — A Reclaimed Marker
The First Settlement of the Virginia Military Lands in Warren County was located a short distance west of here by William Mounts in 1795 dedicated: October 6, 1940 — Map (db m99422) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Ridgeville — 1-83 — Justice John McLean — 1785 - 1861
Having settled in the Ridgeville area with his father, Justice McLean, in 1799, Justice John McLean was appointed to the United States Supreme Court in 1829 by President Andrew Jackson. He was best known for his anti-slavery dissenting opinion in . . . — Map (db m26546) HM
Ohio (Warren County), South Lebanon — Union Township Town Hall
​​​​​​Side One The Union Township Hall was a center of community life from the time of its construction around 1907. The hall included the offices of township government, a community hall, and . . . — Map (db m103394) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — "Squatter's House" — Circa 1810
This oldest building in the historic district was the home of Griffy Griffis five years before the village was founded by Jonathan Wright in 1815. Since Griffis had no legal right to the property, it became known as the “Squatter's . . . — Map (db m13711) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Clark Williams House — Circa 1824
Built by Clark Williams, this early brick Federal style building was owned by the Dayton Leather & Collar Company in the late 1800s. In the early 1900s it was owned by Napoleon Johnson, a former slave who was freed in Virginia in 1847 when his . . . — Map (db m13717) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Edward Potts House / John Potts House — Circa 1831 / Circa 1832
The house on the right (45 South Main) appears to have been built circa 1832 by Joshua Trotter. In 1837, Trotter sold the house to John and Mary Potts, who were “conductors” on the Underground Railroad, persons who risked their lives and . . . — Map (db m13704) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Friends Cemetery of the Springborough Quaker Meeting — Another of the Rural Series of Central Ohio Quakers
Members of the religious Society of Friends were instrumental in the founding and development of Springboro.

This plot contains the remains of Springboro founder Jonathan Wright (1782- 1855), a Quaker leader who donated part of his land . . . — Map (db m84495) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Harry Pence House — Circa 1894
Harry Pence grew up on a family farm nearby and later became a successful businessman who lived in Minneapolis. He had this Queen Anne style house built for his parents, Charles and Ruth Pence. Harry's brother Warren along with his wife Clara and . . . — Map (db m13703) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Jack Decker House — Circa 1830
This site was purchased by Josiah Townsend in 1827 for $50. In 1830, the property was sold for $1,500, suggesting that a house was built on the property sometime before 1830. Emmor Bailey, a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers), bought the . . . — Map (db m13694) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Jeremiah Stansel House — Circa 1840
This house was built as the home of Jeremiah and Nancy (Gregg) Stansel. Jeremiah's father, Henry Stansel, was a friend of Daniel Boone. Although not a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers), Jeremiah is thought to have assisted runaway slaves, . . . — Map (db m13712) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — John Bateman House Site — Bateman Tannery Site
John Bateman was a local tanner who had his house, storehouse, and workshop on this site. The house now located at 440 South Main was built circa 1869 by Joseph Haines, a carpenter who built a number of Springboro homes in the mid and late 1800s. . . . — Map (db m13693) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Jonah Thomas Shop — Circa 1835
Jonah Thomas bought this building in 1837 when he moved his home and harness shop from across the street at 200 South Main. As a “conductor” on the Underground Railroad, Thomas opened his home as a “station” on the . . . — Map (db m13714) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — 8-83 — Jonathan Wright Homestead — circa 1815
Jonathan Wright (1782-1855) and his wife Mary Bateman Wright (1787-1866) moved with their five children from Menallen, Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 1814 and built this Federal style house. Using skills acquired from his father, Joel Wright, a . . . — Map (db m26547) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Joseph Stanton House — Circa 1833
This house was built by Joseph Stanton, son-in-law of local abolitionist James Stanton. Lydia Wood owned the house from 1875 until her death at age 86 in 1917. Lydia was the aunt of artist Grant Wood who pained the famous “American . . . — Map (db m13713) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Lynn O. Eaton Memorial Pin Oak
This pin oak tree has been placed here in living memory of Lynn O. Eaton, a charter member of the Springboro Lions Club. Lion Eaton was ever ready to assist his fellow man in all and every manner needed. He served in many civic offices and was . . . — Map (db m13698) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — M. & J. Wright General Merchandise — Circa 1854
This building was built as a general store for Mahlon and Josiah Wright, sons of the village founder, Jonathan Wright. The building originally had a shed roof extending out over the street to protect customers from the weather. A large stepping . . . — Map (db m13718) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Mahlon Wright House Site - Circa 1818 — Ford Service Station - 1919
Built in 1919, this building was the first gasoline station in Springboro and served as the bus maintenance facility for Springboro Community City Schools from 1945 to 2001. This shop replaced the home of Mahlon Wright, a son of the village founder . . . — Map (db m13696) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Null House — 1798
The oldest on-site exposed log structure in Warren County, it was built by Christian and Charles Null. Renovated in 1995-96 by the city of Springboro, the Springboro Area Historical Society, the Historical Commission, and over 70 volunteers. — Map (db m84403) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Odd Fellows Hall — Circa 1830
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) began in England in the 1700s as an association of common laborers who met together for fellowship and mutual aid. This was so unusual at the time that members were called “Odd Fellows,” and . . . — Map (db m13702) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Springboro Area Underground Railroad — Historic Underground Railroad Site
A predominantly Quaker community in its early days, Springboro served as a hospitable thoroughfare for many runaway slaves on their way north to freedom. Between 1815 and 1864, Springboro was host to numerous safe-houses and many agents and . . . — Map (db m13716) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — The Lyceum — Circa 1898
The fraternal order of the Knights of Pythias was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1864 as an organization dedicated to healing the wounds and hatred of the Civil War. The members of the local Springboro Lodge No. 574 built this meeting hall with a . . . — Map (db m13697) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Tommy Miller House — Circa 1901
Tommy Miller had this house built on the foundation of an earlier home that had served for a time as a parsonage for the Methodist church. Possible traces of an Underground Railroad hiding place from that earlier era are still evident in the . . . — Map (db m13701) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Town Hall, Jail, and Fire Station — Circa 1922
Springboro's town hall and town jail occupied this site for nearly 100 years. This was also the site of the town's first fire station. According to local history, this building was built circa 1922 by volunteers with donated materials after an . . . — Map (db m13715) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — United Brethern [sic] Church of Springboro — Circa 1874
The United Brethern [sic] Church building and bell tower were built in 1874. By 2004 the original wooden bell house had been modified to remove the gothic gables. In 2007, a [sic] appropriate, but not original gothic steeple was built on the . . . — Map (db m13700) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Warner Bateman House — Circa 1858
Warner Bateman, nephew of the village founder Jonathan Wright, was an “agent” on the Underground Railroad. An “agent” was one who provided assistance to runaway slaves on their way to freedom. As an attorney, Bateman was in . . . — Map (db m13692) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Waynesville — Friends Burial Ground
In 1804, Miami Monthly Meeing purchased this land to use as a graveyard. Burials were made without regard to status or family association, but rather by date of death. Some of the earliest graves are marked with a plain rock obtained from a nearby . . . — Map (db m26524) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Waynesville — 4-83 — John Evans House
David and Rachel Burnet Evans built this Federal style house in 1836. Their son, Dr. John Evans (1814-1897), nationally known physician, statesman, and educator, lived here as a young man. After graduating from Lynn Medical College in Cincinnati, . . . — Map (db m26481) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Waynesville — The Bullskin Trace
Approximately ½ mile east of this point lies The Bullskin Trace. It was an Indian trail that led from the Ohio River to Detroit, Michigan. It was used by such notables as Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, and Tecumseh. It was designated a public . . . — Map (db m44321) HM

68 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement