Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wayne County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Sonnenberg Settlement 1819 Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, April 4, 2019
Sonnenberg Settlement 1819 Marker
Ohio (Wayne County), Apple Creek — 7-85 — Sonnenberg Settlement 1819
In the summer of 1819 settlers from Sonnenberg in the Jura Mountains of Canton Bern, Switzerland, arrived in Wayne County, Ohio. They fled the religious persecution they endured because of their Anabaptist Mennonite beliefs, including adult . . . — Map (db m132020) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Smithville — 2-85 — Historic John Mishler Weaving Mill
Johann Mischler (changed to John Mishler), 1852-1930, and his wife Rosina Beyeler Mischler, 1852-1927, were born in Switzerland and came to the United States in 1882. They moved to Smithville in 1887 where John, a weaver by trade, built a mill . . . — Map (db m132073) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), West Salem — 1-85 — West Salem City Hall
The West Salem City Hall reflects a late-1800s municipal trend to house many civic functions under one roof. The fire station, jail, and council chambers occupied the ground level, while the second floor hosted a public auditorium, or "opera house". . . . — Map (db m109196) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — 4-85 — Barnhart Rice Homestead / Frederick Rice
Barnhart Rice Homestead The Barnhart Rice house is one of two original farmhouses occupying this 320-acre hilltop farmstead from the early days of the settlement. Started in the spring of 1822, the house was built of hand-cut sandstone . . . — Map (db m66463) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — 6-85 — General Reasin Beall Homestead / Wayne County Historical Society
General Reasin Beall Homestead. Built in 1816 by General Reasin Beall and his wife Rebecca Johnston Beall, the homestead is recognized as the oldest existing residence in the City of Wooster. Born in 1769 in Maryland, Reasin Beall came to . . . — Map (db m131949) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — 5-85 — Harvey Howard House / Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Harvey Howard House. Harvey Howard, a local druggist, built the house at 407 North Market Street around 1860. After many owners, Captain James B. Taylor bought the home in 1893. Taylor commanded Company H of the 120th Ohio Volunteer Infantry . . . — Map (db m131936) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — 3-85 — Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station
The Ohio General Assembly established the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station in 1882. From its inception until 1892, the Station occupied 17 acres on the Columbus campus of The Ohio State University before relocating to 470 acres in Wayne . . . — Map (db m131935) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — To the HeroesWayne Co, Ohio, 1895
. . . — Map (db m66464) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — Twenty Pounder Parrott Guns
These twenty pounder Parrott guns belonged to the United States Battleship Pensacola. Mounted in memory of Given Post, No. 113, G.A.R., Wooster, and dedicated to the soldiers, sailors and noble patriotic women of Wayne County, Ohio, July 4, . . . — Map (db m131975) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), Wooster — Wayne County Soldier’s Monument
Erected by Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Frick in honor of the Union soldiers of Wayne County, Ohio and presented to the City of Wooster May 5, 1892. (plaque on west face) (Known) deceased Revolutionary War Veterans buried in Wayne County . . . — Map (db m132008) WM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement