Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mayes County Oklahoma Historical Markers

 
Cabin Creek Battlefield Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 22, 2013
Cabin Creek Battlefield Marker
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Adair — 159 — Cabin Creek Battlefield
On Sept. 18, 1864, a Confederate force of 2,000, mainly Gen. Stand Watie's Indian Brigade, intercepted a Union supply train enroute from Kansas to Ft. Gibson. The convoy of 130 wagons with supplies worth $1.5 million was captured after a heavy . . . — Map (db m68101) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Ketchum — 151-1995 — Old Military Road
Crossed here: Ft. Gibson (Est. 1824) to Ft. Leavenworth. Two Cabin Creek battles in Civil War fought at old ford 5 mi.; S.W. Ketchum is east 1.5 mi. The first store, 1860, and a stage stand were at Old Sulphur Springs campground near here, N.E. . . . — Map (db m52553) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Locust Grove — 160 — Battle of Locust Grove
Federal troops suddenly attacked a Confederate camp along the ridge near here at dawn, July 2, 1862. The surprised Confederates hardly returned fire before their officers and heavy supplies were captured. Yet hot fighting in the woods lasted all day. — Map (db m52269) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Pryor — Nathaniel Hale Pryor b. Amherst County, Virginia, 1772 d. June of 1831 —
Pryor Creek was named in honor of Nathaniel Hale Pryor. Captain Pryor was a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, a veteran of the war of 1812 and was a Captain at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. In June he was honorably discharged . . . — Map (db m68099) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Pryor — Veterans Memorial 1776 - 1976
In memory of those who served our country — Map (db m68093) WM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Salina — 158 — Chouteau's Post
Oldest permanent American settlement in the state. Grew out of Chouteau's fur trade at St. Louis, with Osages after they settled this region in 1802 from Missouri. Improvements here in 1817 became residence of Col. A.P. Chouteau, West Point grad. . . . — Map (db m64481) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement