Edward T. Guymon was born in Illinois in 1859. At 21 he moved to McPherson, Kansas from Coatsburg, Illinois. Story is he sold a cow for $22 to pay his fare west. He loaded coal for the Santa Fe Railroad as a clerk and partner for the Star . . . — — Map (db m55265) HM
Townsite planned on Rock Island Railroad survey by
Inter-State Land & Town Co. in 1900.
Rock Island Railroad built through Oklahoma Panhandle 1901.
Town founded as Sanford Post Office 14 June 1901, changed to
Guymon Post Office on 29 June . . . — — Map (db m55267) HM
Discovered in 1918, and drilled in the 1930's, the Hugoton Gas Field was one of the largest deposits of natural gas in the world. The Hugoton field which is approximately 3000' deep extends from SW Kansas through the Oklahoma Panhandle and into the . . . — — Map (db m55261) HM
The largest individual gas reserve in the United States covers much of the Oklahoma panhandle extending northward from Texas through this area and into Kansas this sprawling Hugoton Panhandle field provides gas to comfort mankind fire the boilers of . . . — — Map (db m78818) HM
The rancher, bringing his cattle, first came to the open range of No Man's Land in the mid-1800s. Barbed wire fences later defined areas of ownership. Confined cattle feedyards developed in the 1950's. These feedlots resulted partly because of the . . . — — Map (db m55264) HM
Homesteading families in the Panhandle commonly had a pig or two for personal consumption. It was not until 1992 when Seaboard Farms announced they were going to build a pork processing plant in Guymon that the pork industry leapt forward here on . . . — — Map (db m55262) HM
Preventing wind erosion was the primary objective of Feed Hoeme, a Hooker, Oklahoma farmer, when he developed a heavy-duty chisel plow in 1933. Hoeme and his sons manufactured and sold about 2000 plows from their farmstead. In 1938, W.T. Graham . . . — — Map (db m55270) HM
The post office of Loretta was established May 7, 1898. It was moved to the Texas-Okla. line and the name was changed to Texhoma on Nov. 12, 1901.
The Panhandle of Okla. was called No Man's Land. It was owned by Spain in 1541, . . . — — Map (db m78864) HM
In 1901, when the new Rock Island Railroad tracks reached here, the post office called Loretta, located NW along the Beaver River, was moved to the new tracks and renamed Texhoma for the two states at its location. From only five families living . . . — — Map (db m78865) HM
Organized Baptist work in the Oklahoma Panhandle began Aug. 5, 1894 when the Pleasant View Baptist Church was founded with 8 charter members 1½ mi. N and 1½ mi. E of here. Meetings were in the Pleasant View school house until after the . . . — — Map (db m55272) HM
From this famous well, cattlemen watered their herds of thousands of stock while waiting shipment over the Rock Island Railroad, after long trail drives to the end of the track near old Tyrone. The well was located by J. U. Shade and H. B. Fore in . . . — — Map (db m55271) HM