Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wagoner County Oklahoma Historical Markers

 
Koweta Mission Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 22, 2013
Koweta Mission Marker
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Coweta — 83 — Koweta Mission
Creek Indian school founded by Rev. R. M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd Foreign Miss. 1843. Coweta, ancient Creek town in Alabama, re-established in this vicinity by Creeks who arrived Ft. Gibson on steamboat, "Facility," 1828. This was home town . . . — Map (db m68058) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Coweta — Veterans Memorial

Land of the Free because of the Brave

[Armed Forces emblems]

POW☆MIA You are not forgotten

Dedicated by Rolling Thunder Oklahoma 14 June 2011

Army Spc Jonathan Paul Barnes KIA Iraq July 26, . . . — Map (db m109863) WM

Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Okay — Texas Road
Texas RoadThe most ancient and important trail through Oklahoma Three Forks at the head of navigation of the Verdigris River the oldest trading post in Oklahoma dating from 1812. Creek & OsageIndian agencies on the East and West banks of the . . . — Map (db m52559) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 82 — Chief Pushmataha
Choctaw Indians made hunting expedition from Mississippi to this region, Jan. 1807, led by famous Chief Pushmataha. Camped east on Verdigris River was Joseph Bogy, French trader among Osages, whose armed men engaged Pushmataha's band in battle . . . — Map (db m73126) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — Oklahoma's First Baptist Church
The Fountain Baptist Church mi. S. & 1 mi. E. believed to be the successor to Oklahoma's first Baptist church organized by Rev. Isaac McCoy Sept. 9, 1832 in this vicinity at Ebenezer Station with six charter members: Quasch, Bob, and Ned, . . . — Map (db m73129) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 85 — Tullahassee Mission
This Creek Indian school was founded by Rev. R.M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd. [Board] Foreign Miss. [Missions], 1848. Rev. W.S. Robertson was employed as the supt. Rebuilt by Creeks when destroyed by fire in 1880. Operated until 1907 for . . . — Map (db m73128) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 84 — Wigwam Neosho
Was trading post in 1829-33, named and conducted by ex-Gov. Sam Houston of Tenn., who was called Colonah (The Raven) by his Cherokee friends. As a celebrity in the Indian Ter., Houston was visited by the American author, Washington Irving who . . . — Map (db m73125) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Melvin "Buck" Garrison February 18, 1946 December 26, 1971 Game Warden
We enjoy the bountiful wildlife and rich natural resources in Oklahoma because of the many officers who have dedicated their lives to wildlife law enforcement. Ranger Garrison gave his life, the ultimate sacrifice, while attempting to arrest a . . . — Map (db m68078) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Oklahoma Centennial Bench
The centennial bench is made of steel, like the people who have made Oklahoma what it is today. The bench is 100 inches long and there will be 100 of them produced. Each bench will come with a certificate of origin and number. The design is by . . . — Map (db m68087) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Old City Hall & Fire Station
In 1906 the City leased the lots & built this brick structure for $1,011.68 to house the Fire Department, City Offices, & City Council Room — Map (db m68084) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Sam Powell and U.S. Court
Our own Sam Powell got us U.S. Court by Act of Congress June 7, 1897. Old Corner Stone First Court House Wagoner Ind. Ter. — Map (db m68080) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Semore Park
Honoring Margie Semore and the late Jack Semore. Margie was Salutatorian of the Wagoner High School Class of '38 and began her career with Wagoner County Abstract, eventually becoming the owner. Jack was a S/Sgt., in the 142nd Engineer . . . — Map (db m68089) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — 226 — Wagoner
Became Indian Territory's first incorporated town Jan. 4, 1896 under Mansfield's Digest of the Laws of Arkansas. The citizens (about 2,000) sought to form a city government to provide improvements and the upbuilding of society. Wagoner began . . . — Map (db m68059) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Wagoner County Veterans Memorial
Engraved here in stone and in the hearts of the people forever are those who gave their lives for our freedom. World War I Alsup, James ∙ Brown, Frank ∙ Cannon, Walter ∙ Donaghe, Toll ∙ Farr, Cleo, ∙ Finley, . . . — Map (db m68081) WM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — World War II Memorial
Dedicated to the Sons of Wagoner County who gave their lives during the Second World War. "By this living symbol we will remember that they did not die in vain." — Map (db m68075) WM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement