Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washita County Oklahoma Historical Markers

 
Canute Marker second from right among the five markers. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2018
Canute Marker second from right among the five markers.
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — 218 — Canute
On Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median.
Early inhabitants of the area were plains Indians who followed and hunted the roaming herds of buffalo that grazed the rich grasslands of this area. evidence of several Indian encampments have been located on Trail Elk, Turkey and Oak Creeks as well . . . — Map (db m119435) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — Canute Centennial 1902 - 2002 Canute Town and County Centennial —
On Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median.
Town Chartered July 2, 1902 - Canute established Oklahoma territory Canute city lots sold by lottery for $10.00 per lot 1902 - 1st State Bank receives charter 1904 - Water well dug in in middle of main street with windmill for horses . . . — Map (db m120167) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — 217 — David Lee Walters
On Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median.
David Lee Walters, 24th Governor of Oklahoma and first Governor from Western Oklahoma, was born in Canute on Nov. 20. 1951. Raised on a nearby farm, he attended schools in Canute and graduated from Canute High School as Valedictorian in 1969. He . . . — Map (db m120164) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — Great Western Cattle Trail 1874–1896 GWCT —
Near Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median.
The Great Western Cattle Trail began at Bandera, TX. As the demand for beef increased in the east, returning Civil War soldiers headed wild longhorn cattle from south Texas and Mexico north to the railhead at Dodge City, KS. The first herd . . . — Map (db m120012) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — 216 — St. Francis Church
On Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median.
St. Francis of Assisi Church, two miles south and two miles east of present day Canute, was an important outpost of the Roman Catholic Church in western Oklahoma. Founded by Father Steber in 1899, it served as "the mother parish of the west", from . . . — Map (db m120160) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Cordell — 231 — Washita County Home of America's First Upstream Flood Control Dam
On East Main Street west of South Market Street, in the median.
Cloud Creek #1 Washita River Basin Dedicated July 8, 1948 Rededicated July 3, 1998 Cloud Creek Dam No. 1 located 11 miles southeast of Cordell was the first of 1140 dams in the Washita river basin and the first of over 10.000 . . . — Map (db m120178) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement