The presence of oil in this locality was observed by early travelers and by the pioneer farmers who used it for medical purposes. In 1858, near Oil Springs, James M. Williams dug the first oil well in Canada and later established a . . . — — Map (db m78424) HM
The original Grand Trunk Railway Station was built in 1903. It was later bought by CN and the station closed in 1927. The Town of Petrolia opened its first official library here in 1937.
A commitment to maintain this designated heritage . . . — — Map (db m78422) HM
Following the discovery of oil at Oil Springs in 1857 prospectors extended their search to the entire township of Enniskillen. At the site of Petrolia, which contained two small settlements with post offices named Durance and Ennis, a well was . . . — — Map (db m78417) HM
English When Victoria Hall was built in 1889, Petrolia, in the midst of an oil boom, was one of the wealthiest towns in Canada. The opulent town hall reflects this stage in the town’s growth. While its first floor housed municipal offices, . . . — — Map (db m78421) HM