Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lanark County Ontario Historical Markers

 
Wideview of "Auld Kirk" 1836 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, May 28, 2017
Wideview of "Auld Kirk" 1836 Marker
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — "Auld Kirk" 1836
This stone church, an attractive example of an early form of Gothic Revival architecture, was constructed in 1835–36 on land obtained from John Mitchell, one of Ramsay Township's earliest settlers. Built by the local congregation of the . . . — Map (db m104031) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Dr. James Naismith 1861-1939
This is the boyhood home of James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. Born in a house which formerly stood on this lot, he entered McGill University in 1883 where he was active in athletics. In 1890 Naismith graduated in theology from . . . — Map (db m104107) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Former Almonte Post Office
Begun in 1889 and finished in 1891, this building was erected to house postal and customs services. Federal chief architect Thomas Fuller was responsible for the design and Robert Cameron was the contractor. The building was part of a national . . . — Map (db m104019) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Mississippi River Improvement Company 1909-1991
The Mississippi River in eastern Ontario is a tributary of the Ottawa River. The upper basin starts in the Mazinaw Lake area and enters the Ottawa River above Chats Falls. Recognizing a need to manage the water flow, Mr. Jim Brown of Carleton Place . . . — Map (db m104108) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Robert Tait McKenzie
Surgeon, educator and sculptor, McKenzie was born in Lanark County, Ontario. After graduating in medicine at McGill University, he became its Medical Director of Physical Training in 1894. A pioneer in physical education, he served as a surgeon . . . — Map (db m104096) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — The Founding of Almonte
The sawmill and grist-mill completed here on the Mississippi River in 1823 by Daniel Shipman provided the nucleus around which a community known as Shipman's Mills had developed by 1824. About 1850 two town plots were laid out here - "Victoria" by . . . — Map (db m104000) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — The Mill of Kintail and Robert Tait McKenzie
This grist-mill was constructed in 1830 by John Baird, a Scottish pioneer. In 1930 it was restored by Robert Tait McKenzie (1867–1938) the prominent Canadian surgeon, physical educator, and sculptor, as his summer home and studio. Born in . . . — Map (db m104090) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — The Rosamonds in Almonte
In 1857 James Rosamond built this mill on the Mississippi River, thereby firmly establishing the woollen industry in Almonte. An Irish-born entrepreneur, Rosamond was previously a resident of nearby Carleton Place where, in 1846, he had built one . . . — Map (db m104009) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Carleton Place — Captain A. Roy Brown, D.S.C. 1893-1944
Victor in aerial combat over Baron Manfred von Richthofen, the First World War's leading fighter pilot and German national hero, Arthur Roy Brown was born at Carleton Place. In 1915 he qualified as a civilian pilot and was commissioned in the Royal . . . — Map (db m103968) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Carleton Place — Founding of Carleton Place
The families of Edmond Morphy and William Moore became in 1819 the first settlers on the site of Carleton Place. About 1822 Hugh Boulton built a mill here on the Mississippi River which provided the nucleus around which a community, known as . . . — Map (db m103985) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement