“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Benton County Oregon Historical Markers

96th Infantry Division Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, September 26, 2017
96th Infantry Division Marker
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — 96th Infantry Division"Deadeyes"
Activated on September 5, 1918 (World War I). Demobilized January 7, 1919. Became Oregon's Reserve Division in 1923. Activated to active duty August 15, 1942 at Camp Adair with orders to be Combat Ready as soon as possible. Trained at Camp Adair, . . . — Map (db m114386) HM WM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Alice E. BiddleFirst Woman Graduate of Oregon State University
The Quest symbolizes Alice E. Biddle, who in 1870 became the first woman to graduate from what is now Oregon State University. It reflects the energy, dedication and strength of all students in the pursuit of learning. — Map (db m113343) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Benton County Courthouse
Built in 1888-89, the Benton County Courthouse is the oldest building in Oregon still being used for its original purpose.

The courthouse was designed by Delos D. Neer, a prominent Portland architect, in a style he described as resembling . . . — Map (db m107360) HM

Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Camp Adair
The US War Department ultimately selected 55,000 acres at this location for an infantry training site in 1941. Temporary quarters were constructed, and the site was dedicated as Camp Adair in 1942. Camp Adair was designed to train two divisions at . . . — Map (db m114382) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — City Hall
The Corvallis City Hall was located on the southeast corner of Fourth and Madison Streets from 1892 to 1956. This grand brick and stone building with the imposing belltower housed the City Council Chambers, and in addition, provided much of the . . . — Map (db m112916) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Ecology of the Agricultural Reach
The Reach The Agricultural Reach of Oak Creek drains the croplands and research farm facilities of OSU. The Department of Animal Science manages these agricultural lands. Pastures are used for seasonal grazing and production of hay and . . . — Map (db m108388) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Kearney Hall
Mechanical Hall This structure was built in 1899 to replace the original Mechanical Hall that burned to the ground on September 27, 1898. That fire threw the school year into chaos, since the building had housed the entire engineering program . . . — Map (db m112864) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — L.G. Kline Building
The L.G. Kline Building was built in 1889 for Lewis G. Kline after his successful career as a dry goods merchant in Corvallis. Kline, a Polish immigrant, came to Corvallis with his wife, Adaline, a Russian immigrant, in 1864. The Klines and . . . — Map (db m112915) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Oak Creek’s Watershed
A Watershed A watershed is an area of land from which water drains and flows into a river and its tributaries. Small watersheds, such as Oak Creek’s, become part of larger watersheds when their streams converge. Thus, Oak Creek‘s . . . — Map (db m108389) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Oregon State UniversityNational Historic District
On October 27, 1868, the small institution of higher education known as Corvallis College was granted a charter by Oregon's legislative assembly designating it as the state's land grant institution under the provisions of the federal 1862 Morrill . . . — Map (db m108382) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Peavy Hall War Memorial
World War I plaque In Memory of Earl Blackden Owen Johnson R K Wilmot Foresters Who Fell in the World War 1917-1918 World War II plaque In Memory Of O. S. C. Foresters Who Lost Their Lives In World War II . . . — Map (db m113266) WM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Site of the Earliest Boat LandingLower Town, Marysville, 1851
Site of the earliest boat landing Lower Town, Marysville, 1851 Presented to City of Corvallis, Oregon Centennial Celebration, June 1957 by the Winema Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m107333) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Sustainable Farm Management
Agricultural Users This portion of the Oak Creek watershed is managed as a working agricultural laboratory. Agricultural users include the OSU Dairy Center, beef and sheep production barns, and the Veterinary Medicine Research Farm . . . — Map (db m108387) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Opera House
The Opera House was built on this site in 1870. It was a wooden building with a porch and covered entrance which faced on Fourth Street. The residents of Corvallis raised the money by subscription and donated their labor to build it. Inside there . . . — Map (db m112917) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Timberwolves
The 104th Infantry Division was activated on 15 September 1942, at Camp Adair and was named "The Timberwolves." After 18 months of training at Camp Adair and maneuvers in Eastern Oregon and the California-Arizona desert, they moved to Camp Carson, . . . — Map (db m114384) HM WM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Trailblazers
The 70th Infantry Division was activated on 15 June 1943 as "Oregon's Own" and was named "The Trailblazers" in honor of the Oregon Trail Centennial. After a year of training here at Camp Adair the Division moved to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri for . . . — Map (db m114383) HM WM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Wild West DivisionPowder River! Let'er Buck!
The 91st Infantry Division was originally activated 5 September 1917 at Camp Lewis, Washington and designated the "Wild West Division." The battle cry "Powder River! Let'er Buck!" was adopted in 1918. During World War I the division fought in the . . . — Map (db m114385) HM WM
Oregon (Benton County), Philomath — Historic Philomath College Building
Philomath college was chartered November 1865, as the United Brethren School for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and California.  The name combines two Greek words meaning love of learning.  The building’s center structure was completed in . . . — Map (db m114448) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement