Migrating fish are attracted to large flows of water coming from the Bonneville Dam. To take advantage of this natural reaction, fish-collection facilities are placed along the face of the powerhouse and at each end of the spillway dam. These . . . — — Map (db m92686) HM
Sturgeon range throughout the Columbia River system, however the construction of Bonneville Dam and the other dams upstream blocked sturgeon migration. Sturgeon, unlike salmon, do not use fish ladders. Sturgeon below Bonneville Dam travel up and . . . — — Map (db m92687) HM
Although steel has been made for centuries, it wasnt until the Bessemer process was introduced in the 1870s that it could be produced in quantity.
The Bridge of the Gods mural is the creation of Larry Kangas, of Beaverton, . . . — — Map (db m112267) HM
High in the tower, the school bell rang, resonating across the grounds.
Sixteen school kids grabbed their lunch pails and headed with their teacher, Miss Graham, into the 1893 Crapper School.
As the community grew, the students outnumbered . . . — — Map (db m113941) HM
Leslie and Truman Butler commissioned well-known Portland architect A.E. Doyle to design a bank of the Butler Banking Company, the business they founded in 1900. The Egyptian style building was completed in September 1924, and the grand opening . . . — — Map (db m112295) HM
Harry DeWitt built this new automobile garage in 1920 when the demand for new cars and service was high in Hood River. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the garage was divided and used as the Greyhound Bus Station, a service garage, and a . . . — — Map (db m112235) HM
Designed to house several businesses, the E.L. Smith Building was constructed in 1904 for $10,000. The First National Bank, organized by entrepreneur and regional politician Ezra L. Smith in 1900, occupied the main storefront from 1904 to 1910 until . . . — — Map (db m112294) HM
Designed by Hood River architect R.R. Barely, the "new" First National Bank building was constructed in 1910 by contractors J.M. Wright and L.M. Bentley for a cost of $40,000. The building housed the bank on the first floor and the Commercial Club . . . — — Map (db m112264) HM
Gale-force winds bedeviled explorers and emigrants alike in the Columbia River Gorge.
Journals from the 1800s depict travel as treacherous through this singular passage in the Cascade Range where 60 mile-per-hour gusts are common.
By . . . — — Map (db m113939) HM
Constructed in 1907 under the management of J.M. Culbertson, the Hood River Banking and Trust Company represents one of the older brick buildings in downtown Hood River. Decorative features include the sheet metal cornice, arched windows with leaded . . . — — Map (db m116955) HM
Constructed in 1920 by local contractor L.C. Baldwin, the new City Hall was formally dedicated in February 1921 by Mayor E.L. Scobee. The building housed the city offices and council chambers on the main floor, and the fire and police statins on the . . . — — Map (db m112240) HM
In 1917, a modern Franklin touring car was delivered from Portland for the grand opening of the Hood River Garage. Similar one-story, concrete service garages proliferated throughout the Gorge after the Columbia River Highway was completed in 1916 . . . — — Map (db m112300) HM
Designed by The Dalles architect C.J. Crandall in 1904, the Hotel Waucoma was one of the earliest brick buildings constructed in downtown Hood River. Built for $14,000, the new hotel boasted of 27 guest rooms equipped with steam heat, porcelain . . . — — Map (db m112297) HM
A.S. Keir and C.A. Class erected the building in 1905 for use as a drug store, pharmacy, and soda fountain. Originally a one-story structure, a second floor was added when the building was remodeled in 1927 in the Art Deco style. The colorful tile . . . — — Map (db m112262) HM
Built in 1914, the original tenant of the building was the Garrabrant and Parker's Confectionary Store. Candy and cigars were sold in the store, and people often sat for hours at the popular soda foundation (sic). A game of billiards could be played . . . — — Map (db m112296) HM
The Hood River Masonic Lodge No. 105 A.F. & A. M. was chartered in 1892 and incorporated in 1896. Five years after the Lodge incorporated, the Masons erected a new lodge hall. Named after benefactor Andrew H. Tieman, the hall was dedicated on . . . — — Map (db m112236) HM
Dedicated to the Men and Women Who Served to Keep America Free
Listed on This Stone Are Those of Hood River County Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice
World War I
W. Lucian Carson Guy Eastman Floyd Gramp Arthur L. Granstrom . . . — — Map (db m112258) WM
Constructed in 1911, the OWR & N Co. Railroad Depot served Hood River's thriving fruit, timber, and tourist industries. The Craftsman style building which was larger than most other stations replaced the original 1882 Queen Anne style depot on the . . . — — Map (db m112302) HM
Prominent business person and leader of the fruit industry, Charles H. Sproat financed the construction of the Sproat Building in 1911 to house the E.A. Franz Furniture Company. Upon completion, the owners boasted of a buff colored brick exterior , . . . — — Map (db m112305) HM
William M. Stewart advertised his home furnishings and hardware business as Hood River's "Complete Homefurnisher." The one-story brick building on the east was erected in 1902 and the other two sections to the west were constructed in 1905. The . . . — — Map (db m112239) HM
Constructed in 1909 by Samuel and Laurence Blowers, the building originally housed a hardware store and "modern playhouse" on the first floor and offices on the second floor. Laurence Blowers was one of Hood River's first mayors and was appointed . . . — — Map (db m112234) HM
Dr. Frampton Brosius was one of the town's early mayors and a community activist. Brosius constructed the building for use as a centralized location for doctor's offices; one of the first buildings in Hood River designed for this use. Constructed in . . . — — Map (db m112260) HM
The Eliot Building was financed by Portland minister T.L. Eliot in 1908 for use by the E.A. Franz Hardware Store. In 1906, the prominent Portland architect, A.E. Doyle, completed the architectural plans for the commercial building while studying . . . — — Map (db m112259) HM
Charles Hall, president of the Home Telephone Company, financed the construction of the building for $45,000 in 1909. Erected of "Newberg" pressed brick, the building housed a variety of businesses including the Butler Bank, Bragg Mercantile, and . . . — — Map (db m112261) HM
Sternwheeler traffic on the Columbia River reached a fevered-pitch with the completion of Cascade Locks in 1896.
Steam-powered paddlewheelers provided a vital link between The Dalles and Portland.
The trip averaged six hours on a good day, and . . . — — Map (db m113947) HM
The Mt. Hood Hotel Annex, constructed in 1912-13, was built as an annex to the original wooden hotel which stood to the north. The first floor housed commercial businesses and the second story had apartments and additional hotel rooms. In 1926, the . . . — — Map (db m112232) HM
The building at this location served as a schoolhouse for pioneer settlers who came to Hood River Valley in the early 1900's. Originally built as a one room log schoolhouse the building was located at a popular Indian camping site on the trail over . . . — — Map (db m112335) HM