Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jackson County Oregon Historical Markers

 
Ashland Cemetery War Memorial Marker image, Touch for more information
By Douglass Halvorsen, August 10, 2013
Ashland Cemetery War Memorial Marker
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Ashland Cemetery War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m113192) WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Ashland CreekThe Ashland Creek watershed has always played and important role in the human history of this region
At 7533 feet, Mt. Ashland in the Siskiyou Mountains is the highest point in the headwaters of Ashland Creek. The coarse granitic soils on its steep slopes are highly erodible. Management of the watershed tries to minimize the disturbance to protect . . . — Map (db m112522) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Ashland Lithia Water
The Lithia Fountain was installed on the Ashland Plaza in late 1927. In the 1900s, Lithia Water, which comes from the Pompadour Chief Spring, nearly four miles east of downtown, was the focus of a city-wide development plan that hoped to transform . . . — Map (db m112521) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Barrow Station
1st Stagecoach Stop this side of Siskiyous 1859 - 1950 — Map (db m112572) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Citizens Banking and Trust Company Building No. 2 1910
. . . — Map (db m96026) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Dead Indian Memorial Road
Long before the first Euro-American emigrants trekked westward, this road was a trail used by the Takelma and Shasta Peoples as a trade route. With the arrival of settlers and gold-seekers, the trail quickly became a wagon road called ‘Indian Market . . . — Map (db m112524) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Enders Building No. 1, 1914
. . . — Map (db m96027) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Greensprings
Named for its hundreds of fresh water springs, lush glades and meadows, the Greensprings has for millenia been a seasonal gathering place for Native Americans and later provided refuge for travelers. In 1846, Levi Scott and the Applegate brothers, . . . — Map (db m113544) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Historic Applegate Trail 1846 - 1869
"Keene Creek Wagon Slide" — Map (db m112496) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — A-68 — Keene Creek Wagon Slide
Historic Applegate Trail 1846 - 1869 "Keene Creek Wagon Slide" — Map (db m112935) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Route of
Historic Applegate Trail 1846 - 1869 First Public Wagon Road 1869 - 1874 Southern Ore. Wagon Road 1874 - 1919 — Map (db m112498) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — A-71 — Route of Historic Applegate Trail1846-1869
Route of Historic Applegate Trail — Map (db m113763) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — A-73 — Route of Historical Applegate Trail1846 - 1869
Route of Historical Applegate Trail — Map (db m113764) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Siskiyou Mountain Wagon Road
This toll road was constructed in 1858-1860 by the Thomas brothers. It was owned and operated by Lindsey Applegate, 1860-1869, and later by James Thornton and Jesse Dollarhide. It was replaced by the Pacific Highway in 1915. — Map (db m112500) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — The Whittle Garage
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Paces by the Unted States Department of the Interior the Whittle Garage 1925 — Map (db m96028) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Tub Springs Sugar Pine
Pinus lambertiana When settlers crossed on the Applegate Trail, sugar pine trees dominated this landscape. Native Americans had seasonal camps and purposefully managed the sugar pines, including using a hook-ladder to move up the tiered . . . — Map (db m112589) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Butte Springs Watershed
Volcanic cinders from Mt. McLoughlin, deposited over 20,000 acres, act as a large underground reservoir. Large springs on the edges of the deposit provide domestic and industrial water to Medford. Timber to the north and west harvested . . . — Map (db m112880) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Cat Hill
In 1910 a lightning caused fire ravaged 12,000 acres on these slopes, destroying valuable timber. Nature has replaced many of the trees through natural seeding. This can be seen by the young saplings below the line of mature timber near the . . . — Map (db m112879) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Douglas C. Ingram Memorial Tree
On August 1, 1929, while fighting the Camas Creek fire in Washington, Douglas C. Ingram lost his life. This Ponderosa pine, a seedling at the time of his death, is preserved in his memory as a monument to his guidance and inspirations to all land . . . — Map (db m112837) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Whiskey Spring and Mt. McLoughlin
Early-day explorers, settlers, and rangers named some the the places in the forest. "Whiskey Spring" apparently received its name as part of an "alcoholic" theme, along with "Rye Spring" and "Bourbon Spring" to the south. Also a few miles to the . . . — Map (db m112878) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Central Point — Bybee Ferry
The first ferry near this site was established before 1854 by T. Thompson. It was known as Hailey’s Ferry, 1855-1860. William Bybee operated the ferry from 1863 to 1886, when the first Bybee Bridge was constructed. — Map (db m113867) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Central Point — Dardanelles
First post office in Jackson County established October 15, 1852 in the cabin of Col. William G. T'Vault (1806-1869) Col. T'Vault was the editor of Oregon's first newspaper "The Oregon Spectator". He was postmaster general of the Oregon . . . — Map (db m113722) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Central Point — Oregon Fallen War Heroes Memorial
We honor all Oregonians who served our state and nation, who shed their blood in defense of God, Family and Country. They are Oregon's Fallen War Heroes. We honor for their valor the men and women whose names are engraved on these . . . — Map (db m113049) WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Central Point — Table Rock Monument
Honoring the courageous men, led by General Joseph Lane who on Sept. 10, 1853 met near this spot and signed a treaty of peace with the Rogue River Indians. Col. John E.Ross, Capt. J. W. Nesmith, Capt. L. F. Mosher Capt. A. J. Smith, . . . — Map (db m112905) HM WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Antelope Creek BridgeCovered Bridge 202
Covered Bridge 202 originally was the Yankee Creek Covered Bridge carrying vehicle traffic across Antelope Creek on Yankee Creek Road. The City of Eagle Point obtained Bridge 202 from Jackson County and moved it to the Little Butte Creek location in . . . — Map (db m113902) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Eagle Point
Dedicated to John Mathew Pioneer of 1853 Named Eagle Point for the Eagles that nested on the Bluffs near his home, 1 mile N.E, on Brownsboro Rd. — Map (db m112578) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Eagle Point National Cemetery Vietnam Memorial
In Memory Of The Vietnam Veterans. Offerings Of Love And Honor Vietnam Memorial Wall Jun 24 1998        Jun 29 1998 — Map (db m113314) WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Eagle Point Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All Veterans — Map (db m113898) WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Lonesome Hickory
Carya ovata Mary Louisa Black planted this shagbark hickory near her home in 1866 from nuts she carried from Missouri on the Oregon Trail in 1865. Of the nuts she planted, two grew into trees. This tree is the lone survivor of snow, . . . — Map (db m112564) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Snowy Butte MillEst. 1872 — A History of the Mill
On the National Register of Historic Places, the world famous Butte Creek Mill is the only grist mill in Oregon still grinding flour. Built on the banks of Little Butte Creek in 1872, under the name Snowy Butte Mill, local farmers would bring . . . — Map (db m113901) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — A-83 — Applegate Trail - Fort Birdseye
"Followed down the river (with some of our too neighborly Indians) about 12 m[ile] and camped" - Lester Hulin, Oct 17, 1847 — Map (db m112839) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — City of Gold Hill
Gold discovered on hill across Rogue River in 1860. Land for Gold Hill donated by Thomas & Rose Chavner in 1884. Railroad built in 1887. Town Inc. Feb. 12, 1895. First school in Methodist Church in 1889. Electricity came from Gold Rey Dam in 1904. . . . — Map (db m99286) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Rock Point Bridge
The first toll bridge near this site was built before 1859. The wooden covered bridge was at one time operational by the Rock Point Bridge Company. It was later purchased by Jackson County and operated as a free bridge until it was replaced by the . . . — Map (db m112886) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Rock Point HotelStage Stop and Telegraph Office
J.B. White founded the small Community of Rock Point in the early 1850's. John fought in the Rouge Indian Wars. In exchange for his service he received land, and developed a homestead on the north side of the stage road. The land was sold to L. J. . . . — Map (db m99258) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Rock Point, Oregon
The town of Rock Point, Oregon was est. 1852 by JB White   Pop. 200. Stage coach stop. Post office. Store   Blacksmithshop. — Map (db m99265) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Safety Follows Wisdom
Portland Cement Association Safety Trophy Awarded Ideal Cement Company Gold Hill, Oregon For a Perfect Safety Record in 1959 Reawarded 1960 — Map (db m116801) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — The Lure of Gold
Gold was discovered in the sands of the Rogue River in 1849. Overshadowed by the excitement generated by the gold fields in California, mining did not begin here until 1851-52. The discovery of rich placers on Jackson Creek brought prospectors from . . . — Map (db m112580) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — The Salmon Ceremony at Ti'lomikh Falls
The Takelma, which means "People of the River," had a village here. According to legend, Ti'lomikh (Te lo meekh) is where Daldal, the Great Dragonfly, brought the Salmon Ceremony. Although the date of the first ceremony is unknown, the People of the . . . — Map (db m99316) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — The Salmon Ceremony at Ti'lomikh Falls
The Takelma, which means "People of the River," had a village here. According to legend, Ti'lomikh (Te lo meekh) is where Daldal, the Great Dragonfly, brought the Salmon Ceremony. Although the date of the first ceremony is unknown, the People of the . . . — Map (db m99319) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — The Takelma
The world of the Takelma people could be viewed from Titanakh, Table Rocks. Of the two major groups of the Takelma, the Dagelma resided west from here, while the Latgawa extended to the east. These people gathered grass seed, acorns and camas; . . . — Map (db m112581) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Valley of the Rogue Applegate Trail Kiosk
(Seven panels dealing with topics related to the Applegate Trail are found at this kiosk.) The Applegate Trail Southern Route to Oregon In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, . . . — Map (db m112656) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Grants Pass — Fort Vannoy
A ford across the Rogue River, 1/4 mile south of this point, was used by the Hudson's Bay Company as early as 1827; by the US Navy Wilkes Expedition in 1841; and by pioneers of the Applegate Trail. Mr. Long built the first permanent non-Indian . . . — Map (db m112767) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Beekman Bank Well
At the turn of the century, the Beekman Bank Well was a refreshing stop for two seasonal creeks, Jacksonville suffered from an inadequate domestic water supply for 60 years following the 1852 gold rush. This old well is one of several wells dug in . . . — Map (db m113397) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Bozo the Clown
This is the boyhood home of the famous Bozo the Clown. Vance DeBar Colvig was born here in Jacksonville on September 11, 1892. He was the youngest of the seven children of Judge William and Helen Colvig. He was later nicknamed "Pinto" by his . . . — Map (db m112903) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Britt Sequoia
Sequoiadendron giganteum On March 22, 1862, the day of his son Emil's birth, Peter Britt planted this giant sequoia by his home. Britt was a pioneer photographer, skilled horticulturist, and leader in Southern Oregon's lucrative fruit . . . — Map (db m112590) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Catholic Rectory
Built in 1866 as a one room schoolhouse for Catholic boys, it became the rectory for Father F.X. Blanchet in 1870. An addition was built in 1891. St. Joseph's Catholic Church became a mission of Medford in 1908 the rectory became a private . . . — Map (db m91767) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — China QuarterJacksonville, Oregon 1865
(Marker 1) In the 1860s the view from this spot on Main street would have looked much different than it does today. During the the Gold Rush boom of the 1850s, Jacksonville's early merchants and shopkeepers located their businesses along . . . — Map (db m112901) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — City Hall
The City Hall was built 1880-81 at a cost of $2500.00, which included the price of the land. A meeting hall for the town's Board of Trustees, and office area for the town recorder, two jail cells, and accommodations for fire fighting equipment were . . . — Map (db m91781) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History of Local Telephone Service
"Working Together" as Partners in Communications and Education A RESEARCH PROJECT BY GRIFFIN CREEK STUDENTS SALUTES THE HISTORY OF LOCAL TELEPHONE SERVICE First Phone Line - 1890 Sunset Telephone Company - 1898 Home Telephone Company - . . . — Map (db m112894) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Going for the Gold
The first gold miners on this site in 1851 were in the right place at the right time. They found gold on Jackson Creek, possibly along the base of the hill across the parking lot. No one knows for certain; the route of the creek has changed . . . — Map (db m112895) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Horse Powers
Both horses and horsepower figure prominently in this site's past. In the 1860s, William J. Plymale (1837-1904) opened a livery stable at Oregon and "D" streets. He sold feed and kept horses and buggies on hand. Steam Driven Horsepower . . . — Map (db m112896) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville Cemetery Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Veterans of All Wars Donated by the William H. Harrison Woman's Relief Corps Of Central Point, Oregon Auxillary to the Grand Army of the Republic — Map (db m113414) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville’s Rogue River Valley Railway 1891-1925
Imagine this site in the 1890’s. A small but serviceable locomotive, belching steam and smoke, rumbles up to the little depot on the corner. Commuters step from a single passenger car and quickly disperse. Further down the track, in the train yard . . . — Map (db m113390) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Methodist Episcopal ChurchJacksonville, Oregon
Dedicated the first Sunday in January, 1855 First church built in Rogue River Valley Tablet placed by Crater Lake Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1932 — Map (db m91766) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Rich GulchGold First Found Here 1851
Gold found here in 1851 by James Cluggage John R. Poole — Map (db m12617) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Rogue River Valley Railroad Depot1891 • 1925
This is the site of the depot of the Rogue River Valley Railroad which ran from Medford to Jacksonville Siskiyou Pioneer Sites Foundation Medford, Oregon — Map (db m91772) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — The Britt House: Simple Frame to Cottage Gothic
It was in early November 1852, when 33-year-old Peter Britt arrived in Jacksonville pushing a two-wheeled cart full of photographic equipment. He selected a home site on this very hillside, with its magnificent view, to build a small log cabin for . . . — Map (db m112900) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — The Old “Tack Room”... a witness to change
This simple frame building — listed on the National Register of Historic Places - is one of the oldest Forest Service structures in the country. Known for many years as the “tack room,” it has served a variety of purposes since its . . . — Map (db m113409) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Warren Lodge No. 10
(Marker 1) On this site, in the year 1859, Warren Lodge No. 10 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons erected the first Masonic temple in southern Oregon. Jackson County used the first floor as a courthouse and purchased the building in 1867. The . . . — Map (db m112899) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — World War II Three Trees Memorial
These Three Trees Bear Living Memorial To Wayne Combest Justus Lewis George Davis

Also Honor All Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice in World War II — Map (db m113244) WM

Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Cuthbert BuildingHistoric Renovation Award 2006
The Cuthbert Building, constructed in 1910, was built by the Big Bend Milling Company. Franklin Cuthbert's furniture originally occupied the building. The building has housed a series of department stores. In 1920, the Golden Rule Mercantile Co., a . . . — Map (db m92072) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Harry & David Comice Pear TreesPyrus communis
This small grove of Comice pear trees are the only remaining of an original planting known as Harry & David Bear Creek Orchards Block 1A. Harry & David Corporation became internationally renowned in 1932 when they began marketing their gift boxes of . . . — Map (db m113351) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Auto Company BuildingHistoric Renovation Award 2008
This single-story concrete structure was built in 1926 for the Medford Auto Company, and is one of many similar structures built on this portion of the Pacific Highway referred to as "auto row" from 1925 to 1930. This building was home to the Buick . . . — Map (db m112838) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Public Library
Medford Public Library Gift of Mr. Andrew Carnegie Erected 1911 — Map (db m112538) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Townsite
On October 27, 1883, C. Mingus, c.w. Broback, I.J. Phipps and C.C. Beekman, deeded in excess of two hundred acres for a townsite plus twenty acres for a railroad depot to the Oregon and California railroad company.

Charles Howard and his . . . — Map (db m113405) HM

Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Newell Barber Field1920 - 1929
"Newell Barber Field," Medford's first airport, was established in 1920 and remained in this area until 1929. The airport was named for Newell Barber (1900-1918), a young pilot who lost his life while flying a mission over France during WW I. . . . — Map (db m113721) HM WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m112539) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Merlin — Rogue River Wars1852 to 1856
(There are two sides to this marker,) White settlers and miners out numbers the Oregon Indians. The United States proposed treaties with the Oregon Indians moving off their lands onto reservations. Miners started a group of volunteers . . . — Map (db m112804) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Pinehurst — Crossing the Siskiyous
Applegate Trail emigrants required up to four days to travel from the Klamath River over the Cascades and Siskiyous to the Rouge River valley. The journey may have challenged those with healthy oxen, but it was a devastating trail for those whose . . . — Map (db m88403) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Pinehurst — Historic Applegate TrailTub Springs
In July 1846 Jesse Applegate, Levi Scott and thirteen others known as "The South Road Party" located this pioneer trail. It was used by the emigrants traveling from Fort Hall on the Oregon Trail to the Rogue River and Willamette Valleys between . . . — Map (db m88005) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Pinehurst — The Applegate TrailTub Springs
Southern Route to Oregon In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous . . . — Map (db m88017) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — A Bridge for a New Century
The graceful, arched Depot Street Bridge, completed in 2005, was built to replace the steel-truss Depot Street Bridge, which served the community since 1950. Years of wear and tear, increasing traffic, and larger haul loads took their toll on the . . . — Map (db m112766) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — Crossing the Rogue
This site has been an important Rogue River crossing since 1851, when Davis "Coyote" Evans began a ferry service. Evans' business, though short-lived, was one of the only three ferries to cross the Rogue River (over 200 miles long) - establishing . . . — Map (db m112764) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — Evan's Ferry
Davis Evans established the first ferry this site in 1851. It was known as Jewett's Ferry, 1853-1861. The 1862 flood destroyed the ferry, but it was replaced. The Woodville (Rogue River) Bridge was built in 1909. — Map (db m112488) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — Fort Birdseye
Near Site Of Fort Birdseye 1855 Log House Built 1856 — Map (db m112487) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — Rising above the Rogue
December 22, 1964 dawned on the Rogue River with heavy rain and unseasonably warm temperatures. As the day passed, townsfolk cast nervous glances at the rising turbid river water. They began moving their belongings to upper floors and vacated their . . . — Map (db m112765) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — The City of Rogue River
In the early 1800s, the Rogue River flowed through a rugged and untamed land - home to a handful of Tutuni and Shasta bands of Native Americans. In the 1840s, thousands of pioneers and fortune-seekers streamed through this land with dreams of . . . — Map (db m112763) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ruch — Ruch1976
Casper M. Ruch started the Ruch settlement at this cross roads site between Crescent City and Jacksonville in 1896. On ten acres purchased from J.M. McDonough be built a home, blacksmith shop, warehouse, dance hall, store, and smoke house, curing . . . — Map (db m112485) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Talent — World War II Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Memory of Roderick Glen Muse M. Thompson     Wayne V. Combest Arthur L. Lockwood     Dean B. Ashcraft Alton G. Schaffe     Victor V. Anderson Clarence W. Mathes     Paul H. Scofield Richard E. Frye And Those Who . . . — Map (db m113023) WM
Oregon (Jackson County), White City — US Army Camp White1941-1945
At the beginning of World War II, the US Army established Camp George A. White in a part of Jackson County then known as the Agate Desert as a training cantonment. Soldiers from across the nation, including women and southern Oregon's first large . . . — Map (db m112575) HM

80 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement