Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Josephine County Oregon Historical Markers

 
Cave Entrance image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, June 30, 2009
Cave Entrance
Oregon (Josephine County), Cave Junction — Oregon Caves National Monument
Upper plaque: National Monument Set aside by President Taft July 12, 1909 Lower plaque: Department of the Interior National Park Service Regulations require that all persons entering . . . — Map (db m63167) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — The First Brick Building in Grants Pass
Erected by Charles A. Wing in 1949, upon the site of the first brick building in Grants Pass, which was constructed by John W. Howard in 1886. — Map (db m91926) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — The Perkinsville Ferry
Joel Perkins was an ambitious young man looking for riches. Perkins arrived in Oregon in 1844 at the age of 23 with his mother, father, and four siblings. In 1851 Joel followed wagon tracks from the Willamette Valley to one of the best spots to . . . — Map (db m100215) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Kerby — Kerby(ville) 1850's to Present
In 1854, Mr. James Kerby obtained first donation land claim in what became Kerbyville. Nearby gold fields attracted many miners and the town became a center of commerce. Mr. Kerby became the first postmaster in September 1855 when the Kerbyville . . . — Map (db m105285) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Selma — Fort Hay
This fortified ranch was a donation land claim filed by Wm. B. Hay in 1854. It was attacked by 200 Takelma Indians on March 23, 1856. A battle including hand-to-hand combat raged into the night. The hostiles withdrew in the morning and . . . — Map (db m91942) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Sunny Valley — Grave Creek Ranch1851 - 1918 — Grave Creek Covered Bridge Historical Site
This covered bridge is the one remaining covered bridge in Josephine County. It was constructed by Elmer J. Nelson in 1920 as part of the new Pacific Highway project at a cost of $21,128.65. It was built on Josephine County’s first donation land . . . — Map (db m63153) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Wolf Creek — The Applegate TrailSouthern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Williamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous “last leg” of the Oregon . . . — Map (db m63155) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Wolf Creek — Wolf Creek TavernWolf Creek Inn
Wolf Creek Tavern was built c. 1883 by Henry Smith, a highly successful and influential local entrepreneur. The establishment of the hotel, mercantile and post office occurred at the time the Oregon and California Railroad was being completed in . . . — Map (db m47204) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement