When Dee Wright began work in 1910, he did not know where 24 years in the Forest Service would take him. Packing supplies for fire camps, work crews and lookouts; locating part of the Pacific Crest trail; and stories around the campfire all found . . . — — Map (db m114237) HM
This observation point has been provided to facilitate public enjoyment of the unusual and interesting combination of historical and geological features nearby. The development was planned and supervised by the Willamette National Forest and . . . — — Map (db m114229) HM
This is a portion of the McKenzie Salt Springs and Deschutes Wagon Road constructed during the period 1866-1872. The route across these lava fields was rough and torturous. However it was 1,000 feet lower in elevation than the older Scott Trail . . . — — Map (db m114227) HM
On the knoll behind this sign once stood a rustic cabin in which pioneer mailman John Templeton Craig died in December 1877.
Craig, who was 56, had been employed to carry the mail between McKenzie Bridge and Camp Polk, near Sisters.
While . . . — — Map (db m114234) HM
In 1862 Felix Scott led a crew of 50 men who blazed a trail across the Cascade Mountains following an old Indian trail which skirted lava flows.
Scott hoped to use the new route to take supplies to gold fields in Idaho.
His trail was . . . — — Map (db m114245) HM
I was hired as a stone mason LEM for the Civilian Conservation Corps.
What’s a LEM you ask? Local Experienced Men.
Know all ‘bout stone masonry and it was wisely reasoned to pepper experienced man about the young Corps enrollees.
They’re . . . — — Map (db m114238) HM
In 1846 Levi Scott, together with Jesse and Lindsay Applegate, led an expedition that established the southern route to Oregon from Ft. Hall, Idaho. He was also elected to guide the first emigrants over the new route. Scott's significant role in the . . . — — Map (db m112910) HM
Slowed by rugged trail conditions, weather, and weary teams, emigrants in 1846 entered the southern Willamette Valley in dire circumstances. Transit of the mountains between the Rogue River and the Willamette watershed took a terrible toll - . . . — — Map (db m112911) HM
Roads and rights-of-way were serious public considerations on the Oregon frontier. Market roads, territorial roads and county roads were the lifelines of commerce and communication. River Road - the road upon which you are standing - was once a . . . — — Map (db m112909) HM
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous "last leg" of the Oregon Trail down the . . . — — Map (db m112908) HM
The Centennial Bridge was built in 1987 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Cottage Grove. It was built by volunteers with recycled timbers from the Brumbaugh and Meadows bridges, and paid for with donations. Its Howe truss spans 84' and rests on . . . — — Map (db m99285) HM
The trail to Oregon was never a single set of wagon ruts etched from Missouri to the Willamette Valley. Wagons often traveled abreast through valleys and plains sometimes widening the trail several miles. In the mountains they constantly attempted . . . — — Map (db m112912) HM
Site of the home of A. W. and Amanda Patterson. He was a pioneer Lane County doctor and surveyor who plotted a greater part of Eugene. In 1853, Patterson was also a member of the Oregon legislature and was instrumental in establishing the University . . . — — Map (db m112888) HM
During the first half of the 20th century, Ellis Fuller Lawrence was one of Oregon's foremost architects. In 1914, he became the founder and first dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts at the University of Oregon. During his 32 year . . . — — Map (db m99251) HM
A rock or boulder carried from its original source by an act of nature is called an erratic. This granite erratic was deposited near Harrisburg, Oregon about 12,000 years ago. Geologists say it was carried there by an iceberg during the . . . — — Map (db m99224) HM
Site of the home of A.W. and Amanda Patterson. He was a pioneer Lane County doctor and surveyor who plotted a greater part of Eugene. In 1853, Patterson was also a member of the Oregon Legislature and was instrumental in establishing the University . . . — — Map (db m99248) HM
This piece of petrified wood was found near the mouth of Moffett Creek when the Columbia River Highway was widened in 1950. The wood turned to stone as the fiber of the original tree, which lived during the early Miocene age (26 million years ago), . . . — — Map (db m99223) HM
Once described as "Eugene's pioneer colored citizen", and "one of the most industrious colored men in Eugene", Wiley Griffon was well known on the streets of Eugene. A tram operator, he drove the city's "horse" drawn trolleys. These trolleys . . . — — Map (db m112881) HM
Can you feel the sea wind?
The lighthouse can, too!
For a lighthouse, standing out in the sea spray and storm winds is part of the job description.
For more than a century of working life, Heceta Head Lighthouse has taken a . . . — — Map (db m113303) HM
From top to bottom, Heceta Head Lighthouse
is built to guide from afar.
The light’s height was most likely chosen to maximize its range while minimizing the chances it would be hidden by fog.
Unlike most Fresnel lenses of the day, . . . — — Map (db m113304) HM
Early industries in the Florence area were built on the natural resources that the Siuslaw River Valley had to offer. The rivers were filled with swarming salmon and the forests held acres of old growth timber. Those abundant natural resources . . . — — Map (db m93894) HM
Built in 1938 as the "Florence Theatre," the facade displays a stucco exterior. After an internal fire in 1957, it was refurnished and renamed the Harbor Theater. One of the last neighborhood theaters operating in Oregon, it continued dispensing . . . — — Map (db m113263) HM
Would you make it as a
Heceta Head Lighthouse keeper?
Imagine living here, part of a tiny, isolated community whose lives revolved around the beacon of Heceta Head Light. You would:
Work day and night to keep the light in good . . . — — Map (db m113305) HM
Lighthouses are not just scenic structures – they are life-saving innovations.
In the 19th century, most traffic sailed by offshore. To steer true, and to avoid hazards such as reefs and shoals, ship captains needed land-based . . . — — Map (db m113916) HM
Constructed in 1912, this Southern Pacific Railroad Depot served Mapleton, a community 15 miles east of Florence. With the widening of Highway 126 in 1976, it was saved from demolition by local contractor, Mike Johnson, and rebuilt on the present . . . — — Map (db m113262) HM
The connection to the Pacific Ocean by way of the Siuslaw River made Florence a natural hub for industry. The shifting river channel and mouth made early navigation unpredictable. The lack of stable conditions made establishing a thriving harbor . . . — — Map (db m93912) HM
This headland has attracted and challenged centuries of travelers.
For centuries, Siuslaw, Yachats and Alsea Tribes were drawn to the rich marine resources at Heceta Head.
As they hunted, fished, and traveled, they established . . . — — Map (db m113442) HM
The Siuslaw River Bridge was built as part of the Coast Bridges Project.
It is one of five designed by Conde B. McCullough and built during the Great Depression from 1934 to 1936.
The Coast Bridges Project was funded through the Public Works . . . — — Map (db m113260) HM
Constructing Over the Siuslaw
The Siuslaw River Bridge incorporates Art Deco, Moderne, Gothic, and Egyptian influence that were important to McCullough. Due to its ability to open at the center, the Siuslaw River Bridge best represents . . . — — Map (db m113537) HM
If this historic bridge and tunnel weren’t here, what would it be like to cross Cape Creek?
Engineers building the Pacific Coast Highway in the early 1930s encountered an unusual challenge here at Cape Creek, a deep, offset gorge, . . . — — Map (db m113301) HM
Originally named First Street then later Front Street, Bay Street was renamed in the mid-1950s by the Florence Garden Club.
Historically known as the city center of Florence, Bay Street held much of the government and commerce functions. Once . . . — — Map (db m113261) HM
Oregon's rivers echoed with the sound of saws, axes, and the other industrious banging of hammers as work crews erected hundreds of bridges during the height of the covered bridge era. Bridge construction typically started with the abutments that . . . — — Map (db m112924) HM
After lengthy journeys across inhospitable deserts and mountains in the early 1800s, weary travelers arrived in the Willamette Basin. Lane County's first Euro-American settler, Elijah Bristow, arrived in June of 1846, making his 640-acre claim at . . . — — Map (db m112926) HM
At the turn of the century, the wild frontier was rapidly shifting to settled land and the Forest Reserves (predecessor to the Forest Service) quickly became an integral part of life in the region. "Forest Rangers" (a new breed of working men) . . . — — Map (db m112929) HM
At the turn of the 20th century, wagonloads of settlers and supplies traveling along the old Oregon Central Military Wagon Road stopped here to board Amos D. Hyland's ferry to cross the Willamette River. As more and more settlers traveled the route, . . . — — Map (db m112920) HM
Just across the reservoir, Lowell took root in the 1850s at Amos D. Hyland's homestead. First called Cannon, then later dubbed Lowell, the town grew up around Hyland's general store and large hop-processing yard. Hyland also operated a ferry that . . . — — Map (db m112930) HM
In Oregon's early days, emigrants came in droves to live along the Willamette River, but they soon discovered its volatile nature. Floods inundated the valley, property was destroyed, and lives were lost. The Army Corps of Engineers was given the . . . — — Map (db m112931) HM
Powerful floods, heavy traffic loads, vandalism, and neglect have led to the demise of hundreds of historic covered bridges. As vehicles and logging trucks got bigger, covered bridges, such as this one, were built with wider and higher portals. . . . — — Map (db m112919) HM
Elijah Bristow, a veteran of Andrew Jackson's army, erected his cabin here on Pleasant Hill in 1846, earliest year of settlement in Lane County. He and his wife Susannah then led in establishing the county's first church and first school. This . . . — — Map (db m99218) HM
In 1845 Elijah Bristow and his wife (Susannah Gabbart Bristow) left their home in Illinois and traveled overland to California. They came to Oregon in the spring of 1846, following the Hudson's Bay trappers' route to the northern Willamette Valley. . . . — — Map (db m99220) HM
The Goodpasture Bridge is a reminder of an earlier era, when covered bridges were common sights for motorists on Oregon’s back roads. But this bridge is more than just a quaint remnant – it still an . . . — — Map (db m113714) HM