Captain Robert Gray was born in Tiverton, Rhode Island, 10 May 1755. Little is known of his youth. During the American Revolution and our war with the French (1798-1801) Captain Gray commanded Letter of Marque vessels. She was Alert, another was . . . — — Map (db m113548) HM
commanding the sloop, "Lady Washington" left Boston in October 1787 on a trading voyage to the West Coast of North America, seeking otter furs. To his small crew of about a dozen men, Gray soon added Markus Lopeus, who boarded at the Cape Verde . . . — — Map (db m113549) HM
If driving the highway now is nerve-wracking, imagine traveling through here before it was build! The 1,680-foot high Neahkahnie Mountain is one of the most treacherous headlands on the coast.
Native residents once traveled by canoe or on foot to . . . — — Map (db m113734) HM
During the early development of our national parks (1920s) an evolution in design ethics was taking shape. This design ethic emphasized and organic approach to architecture and landscape - designing in harmony with nature. Nature was the most . . . — — Map (db m113774) HM
You are standing on the west shoulder of Neahkahnie Mountain - at 1,661 feet, it is one of the highest points on Oregonís coast. The mountainís name is said to be a Native American word for “home of the supreme being.” This basalt, . . . — — Map (db m113768) HM
Charismatic, intelligent, and possessing a keen sense of humor, Oswald West was one of Oregonís most memorable governors. He is famous for his open mind, ardent support of womenís suffrage, and his habit of making gubernatorial rounds on horseback. . . . — — Map (db m113770) HM
If sight of sand and sky and sea has given respite from your daily cares then pause to thank Oswald West former governor of Oregon (1911-1915) By his foresight nearly 400 miles of the ocean shore was set aside for public use, from the . . . — — Map (db m113784) HM
Elk have populated Oregonís north coast for thousands of years. A legend holds that the name of this mountain - Neahkahnie - is derived from the Spanish °Carne! (Meat!) exclaimed by explorers when they saw elk on these slopes.
A . . . — — Map (db m113771) HM
Three-quarters of a mile of roadwork added safety and beauty to the Coast Highway flanking Neahkahnie Mountain. Talented masons who had once worked for the Works Progress Administration blasted away tons of rock off the mountainside and built . . . — — Map (db m113735) HM
From the beginning, Neahkahnie Mountain was the source of deep meaning for the First People. Signs of the spirit would were all around them - in the forest and its animals, in the ocean, in the season and the sky, and in the weather that marked . . . — — Map (db m113732) HM
Neahkahnie Mountain has been the subject of stories and legends for hundred of years. From Spanish galleons to buried treasure, the Mountain resonates with mystery and romance. How many of these stories are true? What do you think?
The Beeswax . . . — — Map (db m113733) HM
The French hand-ground Fresnel lens at Cape Meares is one of only two eight-sided lights in the United States – the other is in Hawaii. Keepers were given detailed instructions for maintaining the masterpiece.
A brilliant . . . — — Map (db m113918) HM
Arthur Generous Beals built this building and several others in Tillamook around 1900. This marked the beginning of the present central business area of Tillamook, which had previously centered around the Hoquarton Slough. The Beals Building has . . . — — Map (db m113075) HM
Property was completed August first 1925 by F.M. Kelly of Portland.
Original tenants were E.W. Crain Sporting Goods and C.T. McKinley's Cigar / Soft Drink / Card Parlor.
Through the years Building has been occupied by Ryan's Printing and . . . — — Map (db m113071) HM
From the county's first flour mill, was turned by water power, was owned and operated by G. W. Elmer on Hughey Creek, five miles east of Tillamook in 1862. The stone was brought by boat from the Eastern Coast, around South America.
Donated by . . . — — Map (db m113731) HM
Steam donkeys such as this "Tacoma Wide Face Yarder" were a vital part of a logging team's equipment in the 19th century forests of Oregon. Their name is derived from secondary engines called "donkey engines" used on sailing ships to load cargo, . . . — — Map (db m113295) HM
Dairy Industry -- Henry Wilson, for which the Wilson River is named, brought the first cows to Tillamook County and laid the foundation for the Tillamook dairy industry. As early as 1854, butter and cheese were being made in large enough . . . — — Map (db m113079) HM
The property upon which the Tillamook Hotel now stands was purchased from W.H Cooper in June 1891. A church building was erected on the land the following year. Myrtle Ethel Holden (youngest daughter of Warren Vaughn) purchased the land to build the . . . — — Map (db m113077) HM
The city of Wheeler with a commanding view of
The Nehalem Bay
has some of the most interesting pre-Oregon history beginning with Frances Drake repairing his ship in the summer of 1579 and the wreck of a 1700's Spanish galleon.
Some . . . — — Map (db m113628) HM