Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Umatilla County Oregon Historical Markers

 
The Long Road Down panel image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
The Long Road Down panel
Oregon (Umatilla County), Adams — Deadman Pass Oregon Trail Kiosk
(Six panels dealing with the Deadman Pass portion of the Oregon Trail are found at this kiosk) Wagon Ruts  More than 50,000 emigrants traveled west on the Oregon Trail between 1840 and 1850. The constant stream of wagons . . . — Map (db m111563) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Meacham — Emigrant Springs Oregon Trail Kiosk
(Six panels dealing with the Emigrant Springs portion of the Oregon Trail are found beneath this kiosk) Lost Livestock Water is scarce in the steep, forested slopes of the Blue Mountains and is often found only at . . . — Map (db m111537) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Meacham — Emigrant Springs State Park
In the first week of January, 1812, a party of trappers and traders, members of the Astor Overland Expedition, crossed the Blue Mountains in this area. Traveling afoot in bitter cold, often waist deep in snow, they were the first white men in this . . . — Map (db m111534) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Meacham — Meacham — Historic Oregon Trail.
First known as Lee's Encampment, from establishment of a troop camp by Major H.A.G. Lee in 1844, A.B. and Harvey Meacham operated famous "Mountain House" here, which gave the town its present name. In later years a famous railroad eating . . . — Map (db m111530) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Meacham — Oregon Trail Memorial
In Memoriam Erected 1925 by the Women's Community Club of Meacham, Oregon In honor of those who died Blazing the Old Oregon Trail — Map (db m111528) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Meacham — The Intrepid Pioneers
Dedicated to the memory of The Intrepid Pioneers Who came with the First Wagon Train In 1843 over the Old Oregon Trail And Saved the "Oregon County" To the United States. Erected by Old Oregon Trail Ass'n. July 4, . . . — Map (db m111533) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Aura Goodwin Raley — "Mother of Pendleton" — August 23, 1829 - July 21, 1913
Aura Morse Goodwin Raley was born in Kennebec County, Maine. At age 15 she move to Wisconsin, and in 1846 she married Moses Goodwin. In 1853 the couple joined a wagon train to Oregon, where they settled north of Vancouver, Washington. In 1864 the . . . — Map (db m111644) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Bowman Hotel
In 1889, a wood framed "Bowman Hotel' was operated by Henry Bowman on this site. A mill race running along Frazer Avenue separated that first hotel from the original railroad depot building. That building either burned down or was razed and the . . . — Map (db m111597) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Byrd School
In 1879 Maria Byrd, a widow, donated the land for Umatilla County School District #21. The school was located 6.1 miles south of Pilot Rock, near the junction of West Birch Creek and the Yellow Jacket Road. Maria and her husband, Daniel Byrd, . . . — Map (db m111598) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Columbia Hotel
The Columbia Hotel was built in 1900 by John Seibert and William Roesch. The Seibert heirs owned the building until the late 1970's. The Columbia Hotel opened on the second floor with F.X. Schemp as the proprietor. It operated as a hotel for only a . . . — Map (db m111639) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Empire Meat Market
In 1899, Henry Schwarz and his step brother Frank Greulich constructed a very ornate building for their business, the Empire Meat Market, which had previously been located in a wood frame building on Court Avenue. Ownership passed to another . . . — Map (db m111602) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Ferguson Building
This High Victorian Italianate building was constructed in 1904 by J.W. Maloney and James Monroe Ferguson. Although the ground floor store front have been altered over the years the building's historic character is evident at the second story which . . . — Map (db m111570) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Frazier Building
This simple, one story Commercial Italianate style building was constructed in 1889 by Robert and Mary Sargent who then sold half interest in the building to Frank Frazier in 1890. Frazier purchased the remaining interest in the building in 1926 and . . . — Map (db m111635) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Griggs & Tryon Bldg
This skinny little building (only 17' wide) was built by Frank Griggs and J. Tryon as a confectionary and cigar store. When the Rivoli Theatre opened up next door they changed the name of their little shop t the the "Rivoli Cigar Store and . . . — Map (db m111632) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Hendricks Building
Built in 1897 by early day brothel owner, Christopher Columbus Hendricks, this building has one of the least altered store fronts and interiors within the historic district. The southern most commercial space originally had an angled doorway with a . . . — Map (db m111568) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Masonic Hall Building
This brick building was constructed in 1887 in the High Victorian Italianate style by the Masonic Hall Association of Pendleton. With the exception of the ground floor commercial storefronts, which have been altered over the years to suit their . . . — Map (db m111569) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Matlock - Brownfield Bldg
Built in 1904 and exemplifying the Georgian architectural style, this building is 90' deep by 100' wide. There are five commercial bays with one still retaining the original cast iron columns. There were eleven evenly-spaced one-over-one double-hung . . . — Map (db m111601) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Oregon Scenic Highways
This magnificent view is preserved and protected by the efforts of the Oregon Roadside Council, which initiated and secured the passage of the Oregon Scenic Areas Act in 1961. 3585 scenic miles of highways were surveyed and selected by the Council. . . . — Map (db m111564) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Pendleton — Historic Trail
This location marks a travel corridor for Plateau Tribes moving seasonally from the Columbia River to the Blue Mountains. In 1811, members of the Astor Party under the leadership of Wilson Price Hunt camped here on their way west. They traded with . . . — Map (db m111565) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Pendleton Oregon Trail Kiosk
(Six panels dealing with the Pendleton area portion of the Oregon Trail are found at this kiosk) The Long Walk to Oregon Contrary to popular belief Oregon Trail emigrants rarely took the reins while seated in their . . . — Map (db m111578) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Rivoli Theater
This building started out as a single story building built between 1897 and 1900 to house four store fronts. In 1900, one of the storefronts became "The Pastime" and was a popular nickelodeon owned by the Matlock Family. The single-story building . . . — Map (db m111629) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — The Empire Block
Constructed in 1907, Henry Schwarz and Frank Greulich named the building The Empire Block for their business, the Empire Meat Market. At the dissolution of the Schwarz and Greulich partnership in 1916, the building was purchased by Frank Greulich . . . — Map (db m96873) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Union Pacific Depot
The existing Depot building was built in 1909 by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company. The depot building is primarily styled after architecture of the Mediterranean, as seen in the tiled hip roof, decorative roof support brackets and brick . . . — Map (db m111599) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pilot Rock — Battle Mountain — Oregon History
The decisive engagement of the Bannock War was fought on the foothills of Battle Mountain, July 8, 1878. The war - a protest against white encroachment, and the last major uprising in the Pacific Northwest-was started by Bannock Indians, but Egan, a . . . — Map (db m96868) WM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Ukiah — Battle Mountain — Oregon History
The decisive engagement of the Bannock War was fought on the foothills of Battle Mountain, July 8, 1878. The war - a protest against white encroachment, and the last major uprising in the Pacific Northwest - was started by Bannock Indians, but Egan, . . . — Map (db m108178) HM WM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement