Joseph and Mary Schreiber with their four sons, Bert, Otto, Carl and Jack arrived in what is now known as Friend, Oregon in 1898. Joseph and his sons began construction on their log house in 1900 and completed it in 1901. They hand hewed each log, . . . — — Map (db m112470) HM
The Indian Peoples of the Columbia River did not bury their dead until very recent times.
Instead, bodies were wrapped in robes or tule mats and deposited in canoes which were placed in the woods, on rocky points, or in cedar vaults on islands . . . — — Map (db m112253) HM
(Twelve panels dealing with Oregon Trail related topics are found at this kiosk)
Pathway to the "Garden of the World"
Excitement filled the air May 22, 1843 as nearly one thousand Americans left Missouri toward new . . . — — Map (db m112193) HM
Until very recent times, the Indian people of the Columbia River did not bury their dead, Instead, bodies were wrapped in robes or tule mats and deposited in canoes that were placed in the woods, on rocky points, or in cedar vaults on islands like . . . — — Map (db m113517) HM
Nestled bewteen the rainy Cascades and the eastern Oregon deserts, Mosier's unique climate enables hillsides to bloom in a pallet of color.
In the spring, wildflower enthusiasts flock to Mosier for the spectacular array – “the . . . — — Map (db m112254) HM
Glaciers form when snow accumulates faster than it melts over a long period and is compressed into ice.
Eventually, the weight and pressure become so great that the ice oozes slowly downslope.
Volcanism, uplift, erosion, and human . . . — — Map (db m112249) HM
Today, engineers use high resolution satellite photography and advanced computer modeling software to design roads.
Gazing down upon the graceful, winding Historic Columbia River Highway, it is easy to forget how challenging its . . . — — Map (db m112250) HM
Before a network of dams controlled the Columbia River it was a raging torrent. Here at Wyam Falls, known today as Celilo Falls, a vertical drop of more than 20 feet and sheer basalt bluffs on either shore forced the river into seething, boiling . . . — — Map (db m34581) HM
This former saloon, built in 1876, is one of the oldest commercial buildings in The Dalles. The First Street facade has pilasters of cast iron. In early days, many of the city’s commercial buildings displayed cast iron ornament. Today, the Baldwin . . . — — Map (db m112069) HM
Built in 1899 for Alfred S. Bennett, this 2 1/2 story home is the largest, most elaborate and best preserved example of architecture showing the Queen Anne style in The Dalles.
Designed by C.H Crandall and built by Hansen Thompson, the building . . . — — Map (db m112436) HM
This 1889 house is an outstanding example of the Queen Anne style. The two-story structure has a distinguishing wrap-around veranda with circular corner bay. The hip roof is accented by Stick Style gable brackets. The original basalt stone retaining . . . — — Map (db m112113) HM
Dedicated in September, 1910, this classical-style brick structure was one of many throughout Oregon and Washington constructed with grant assistance from the Carnegie Foundation during 1898-1916. In 1912, by contract with the Wasco County Court for . . . — — Map (db m112163) HM
In Commemoration of
the Celilo Falls Fishing Grounds
Historic fishing trading and gathering place for Indians of many Tribes from time immemorial until inundated by the rising waters of
Lake Celilo in March 1957 — — Map (db m111983) HM
The development of this block began in the early 1850's and by 1858, an assortment of shops and businesses occupied the entire 1st Street frontage (then also known as Main Street of Front Street). In 1879, a fire swept through the downtown, burning . . . — — Map (db m112466) HM
The Civic Auditorium, erected in 1921 through a $125,000 bond measure, was dedicated to local veterans of the First World War. Portland architects Houghtaling and Dougan designed the Civic in the Neo-Classical Revival style. This monumental building . . . — — Map (db m112164) HM
From 1841 until the early 1900's more than 500,000 people traveled over 2,000 miles from Independence, Missouri to The Dalles, Oregon. They had to make a decision at The Dalles for traveling the last 100 miles to the Willamette Valley. They could . . . — — Map (db m112468) HM
This Colonial-style brick building was built as a lodge hall and a residence for members. The front of the building is distinguished by four columns, decorative pilasters and a balcony. The grand ballroom has a rare, spring-loaded hardwood floor. In . . . — — Map (db m112019) HM
Since 1859, The Dalles area Congregationalists have occupied four edifices, three of which were destroyed by fire. The present Tudor Gothic church has served since 1937. The church is distinguished by Tudor arches, Celtic crosses, corner bell tower, . . . — — Map (db m112435) HM
This fine Colonial Revival house was built around 1909 by attorney W.H. Wilson, then sold to Pat Foley, manager of the Hotel Dalles. Presently known as the Colonial Building, the house is in excellent condition, with extremely crisp detailing. The . . . — — Map (db m112115) HM
The original 1879 French and Company Bank building was razed and replaced with this structure in the late 1920s. The original bank building was one of the first in the territory east of the Cascades. Operated by brothers J.W. and D.W. French, it has . . . — — Map (db m112026) HM
Colonel Ned H. Gates, often known as “Father of The Dalles,” built this building in 1870. Colonel Gates was active in the organization of The Dalles by surveying the original plat and drafting the city’s charter which was presented to . . . — — Map (db m112071) HM
This Moorish-style motion picture theater was completed in 1930 for its first proprietor, M.R. Matthew, at a cost of $125,000. The plans were prepared by William Cutts of Portland, who designed approximately sixty theaters for the Universal Film . . . — — Map (db m112027) HM
Before The Dalles Dam was built, the Columbia River plunged over Celilo Falls and cut through the Narrows or Five Mile Rapids. Although obstacles to navigation, the falls created the region’s greatest fishing site. For more than 10,000 years . . . — — Map (db m111985) HM
Historic Downtown The Dalles
Five photographs with descriptions are on the marker:
(top right) North on Union Street behind the current Post Office was the Dalles Railroad Depot, built prior to 1910. It was south of the ferry landing . . . — — Map (db m112464) HM
The I.O.O.F. Hall was constructed in 1904 and rebuilt in 1915. The brickwork is richly detailed, including window surrounds and corbel tables to support the cornice and name block.
Six charter members created the local I.O.O.F. in 1857 and . . . — — Map (db m112020) HM
This two-story brick building was constructed in 1910. The main elevation displays the only white glazed brick used in the downtown area. The building has examples of classic detailing, including brick keystones with flat voussoirs and a six-course . . . — — Map (db m112070) HM
The President of the United States, in the name of Congress, has awarded the Medal of Honor
Loren R. Kaufman
Sergeant First Class, US Army
Born: July 27, 1923 at The Dalles, Oregon * Entered Service: The Dalles, Oregon . . . — — Map (db m63293) WM
This three-story brick building was constructed in the Italianate style in 1881. The main facade is organized into four bays of one-over-one double hung wood sash windows with fan decorations at each corner. There is a decorative brick belt cornice . . . — — Map (db m112022) HM
Built in 1916, this modest residence is an example of the American Four Square style of architecture. It is a two-story wood frame building with a hip roof supporting a shed roof dormer facing the main elevation. The second floor windows are . . . — — Map (db m112111) HM
The bookstore is a one-story brick building built in 1870 for Daniel M. and Joshua W. French as part of a large holding of property in The Dalles. Ingwert C. Nickelsen moved his bookstore and music business here in 1883, and it has been used for . . . — — Map (db m112401) HM
This two-story former hotel building of brick construction was built about 1890. It is one of the grandest examples of commercial architecture in the High Victorian Italianate style standing in The Dalles today. The upper facade is symmetrically . . . — — Map (db m112068) HM
Rock Fort is an important mid-Columbia campsite for the Lewis and Clark Expedition. After a portage around the Great Falls (Celilo) they came to a gentle part of the river near the present city of The Dalles. They formed their camp on a high point . . . — — Map (db m112021) HM
Completed in 1881, this building is the second of three courthouses which may be seen in The Dalles today. It exhibits characteristics of the then-popular Italianate style of architecture. The courthouse contained county offices on the first floor, . . . — — Map (db m112072) HM
You're looking at one of The Dalles' "Places of Negotiable Affection."
By foot, wagon canoe and horseback, "civilization" took root, and with it the need for certain services - lumber, horses, foodstuffs - and of course, the comfort of . . . — — Map (db m112031) HM
St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church was completed in 1898 in the Gothic Revival style. The steeple rises to a height of 176 feet and is surmounted by a cross and a six-foot tall cock weathervane. Stained glass windows, a tin ceiling cover embossed . . . — — Map (db m112397) HM
This building is historically known as the Masonic Hall, and more commonly referred to as The Commodore Apartments. This structure was built in 1910 on the site of an 1881 Masonic Lodge, opening for business in 1911. The architect was R.N. . . . — — Map (db m112017) HM
President Thomas Jefferson's vision, which was reflected in a letter of credit written in 1803 was about to be realized in less than 200 miles, but first the Corps had to shoot the rapids of the Narrows of the Columbia. The important supplies were . . . — — Map (db m112467) HM
Incorporation of The Dalles under Territorial Government came in 1857, and in 1863 a Charter Amendment provided for a Mayor to replace the City President. The Dalles built this city hall in 1908 at a cost of about $30,000. It is a two-story . . . — — Map (db m112441) HM
Father Nooy, a Catholic priest, and Jack Frank built The Dalles Garage in 1920. In 1922, the Columbia River Highway (U.S. Highway 30) was completed and ran in front of the garage, then known as Lester’s Garage. The building was next occupied by . . . — — Map (db m112074) HM
The British owned Hudson Bay Company dominated the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest during the early 1800's.
Dr. John McLaughlin, who headed the Northwest enterprise, sent brigades of boats far up the Columbia River to the far flung company . . . — — Map (db m114142) HM
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this “Corps of Discovery” to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly . . . — — Map (db m111984) HM
Owned by the French family, the Pioneer Building was built c. 1881 and was first occupied by a general merchandising store. During this time long trains of freight wagons loaded with goods for the gold regions of Eastern Oregon departed from this . . . — — Map (db m112024) HM
This Victorian house of Queen Anne and Eastlake motifs is located in the historic center of The Dalles. John L. Thompson, a blacksmith who arrived in The Dalles from Boston in 1869, built the house between 1889 and 1897. It served as a family . . . — — Map (db m112438) HM
The United States Post Office, which opened in 1916, was the first postal building erected in The Dalles. It was designed in the Roman Classical style under the direction of Oscar Wenderoth, Supervising Architect of the Treasury. Its facing of . . . — — Map (db m112073) HM
When this fine hotel was completed in 1857, it soon became nationally known for its architectural charm, lavish furnishings and fixtures and warm and gracious hospitality. This stately property was considered to be the finest hotel west of Chicago . . . — — Map (db m112109) HM
This 1921 Mission-style building was part of St. Peters Catholic Church. It was the gymnasium and meeting hall of the former Catholic School and often used for dances and meetings of various organizations. A curvilinear parapet surmounts the . . . — — Map (db m112437) HM
The county dedicated this distinctive, classical-style building, the latest of three courthouses remaining in The Dalles, on October 3, 1914. The lot at 5th and Washington Streets cost $8,000; the furnishings cost $12,645; and final building . . . — — Map (db m112402) HM
Common names for this building include “The Williams 1870 Building” and “The DesRochers Building.” The two-story rectangular brick building received extensive remodeling in 1938, covering or removing the earlier building . . . — — Map (db m112439) HM
This area on the Deschutes River has been a river crossing and fishing location for thousands of years. Peter Skene Odgen made note of an Indian camp and bridge when he crossed here in 1826. Early pioneers using the Meek Cutoff passed here on their . . . — — Map (db m112505) HM
"After descending a long, steep, rocky and very tedious hill, we have campt in a valley on the bank of Indian (Tygh) Creek, near some Frenchmen who have a trading post. There are also a good many Indians encamped around us." -- Amelia Stewart . . . — — Map (db m112503) HM